• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
The fed cut doesn't really help with the actual problem here to the degree it normally would. A financial crisis is one thing where you can use monetary policy to fix a monetary issue, this is a physical supply chain issue.
Yeah, which is why I was surprised the fed cut rates given the actual US economy was still doing okay. I still would've thought the markets would react positively, at least. But I'm not an economist so a lot of this stuff I don't quite get
It did.

Me thinks market confidence is gonna be shot, along with the virus exploding in the US.
Did the spread get significantly worse? Everything's sorta been drowned out by Super Tuesday

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, which is why I was surprised the fed cut rates given the actual US economy was still doing okay. I still would've thought the markets would react positively, at least. But I'm not an economist so a lot of this stuff I don't quite get

Did the spread get significantly worse? Everything's sorta been drowned out by Super Tuesday
Yes.

Went down almost another 1000 points. I say that's gonna freak the financial sector more than if they'd done nothing.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
No, it is a dismissal of Sanders. And he runs the very definition of a campaign of grievance (it informs everything about how his campaign works and how some of his supporters behave and is the fundamental root of his "movement"). That is entirely on Sanders, and is what he has chosen.

The left (of which most posters here would consider themselves a part, if maybe not as extreme as you would) is very much a vital part of the party. But you have to go with the voters, and in this case, they are not with you. You don't get everything you want even if you lose; you have to find a way to move forward, and that only happens if we move forward together.

That means you have to come to the table. Biden can't be expected to beg for it. If, like Sanders, you refuse to even try, then don't be surprised when you don't get anything.

And it's also a highly deceptive argument, as the party is already far left of where it was even 10 years ago. There's tons of shit now that you couldn't even have thought of asking for back then, and it's already part of the platform by default.
Then I don't know what to tell you.

We have evidence in multiple states that show us Bernie's 30% coalition is not enough to win the nomination. If that holds true, then I think folks need to come to the realization that the party and the country aren't as left as some folks think it is. That's a hard realization, but I think it's kinda true. Maybe Bernie turns it around next week, who knows.

I feel like I'm taking crazy pills.

I am not saying the Bernie's coalition as it now is something that can win a majority. It is not going to "get everything you want".

I am asking for an olive branch that I don't expect to get that I believe would be a monumental mistake and you guys are asking like I should expect Bernie to be on the ticket.

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018

twitter.com

Jeremy Wallace on Twitter

“NEW. Over 306K voters in Harris County voted in Democratic Presidential Primary. That is almost 40% up from the 2016 Democratic Presidential Primary. https://t.co/9xeprdWZMV”

i love it, i love it, i fucking love this night 100% (referring not at all to bernie vs biden, honestly i dont care about that), for the primary, we are seeing record turnout vs 2016 and bodes so well for the general. I cant tell you how many times ive heard people say Trump is gonna coast to the reelection. fucking boils my brain. he may win but it will not be without a fight, and democrats will come out 100% to kick out the tyrant.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I am asking for an olive branch that I don't expect to get that I believe would be a monumental mistake and you guys are asking like I should expect Bernie to be on the ticket.
What is your olive branch? Like, Biden hasn't even won yet so I have no idea what he's supposed to do. And you can say he could be nicer to the more left lane, and alright. Then Bernie can stop calling me and everyone who doesn't support him establishment whatevers.

Specifically what is it that you want RIGHT NOW from Biden? What is this olive branch you want?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"Me and Obama took care of the last recession, I can get us through this one" is a drum Biden can hit assuming what we think is about to happen happens.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well, tonight was something. Couple of crazy things.

Bernie's revolution actually seems to be Biden's revolution in turning out people in average of 20% more than 2016 for HIM. Funny. Kids stayed home again, i'm shocked.

You'd think after dramatically avoiding the black hole of awful that was the Bloomberg iceberg, a certain group of voters might learn what the concept of "compromise" meant in national politics, but as usual the person at the lead opposing their god king is the worst thing ever.

And finally, the Veruca Salts of the internet finally showing their ass fully mask off in declaring how they will sit the GE out in all their non-progressive glory cause they didn't get their golden ticket.

Hopefully we can move beyond the bullshit in the coming states and smart folks can start being employed to do the actual important work of defeating Trump, you know the guy that wants to kill you all with the new virus, stack the courts, take away women and minority rights, take away any sort of worthwhile healthcare, you know, an anti-progressive agenda, the Trump agenda. The shit that should be so obvious it hurts my brain when it apparently isn't.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017

I am not saying the Bernie's coalition as it now is something that can win a majority. It is not going to "get everything you want".

I think your disappointment may be coloring the way some of the posts are coming across to you (your proclamations about how things are going to happen are getting consecutively more morose).

The left wing is a huge and important part of the party. And we will have to find a way to come together, and that's going to require effort on all sides. There's plenty of room for everybody, even if nobody can be satisfied in getting everything they want. And I think everybody here will agree that they hope this work can be done and that our coalition is stronger for it come November (where we have to win, no matter what).

There is not a single person here who is suggesting that advocacy and outreach to Latinx and other minority groups is unimportant or unworthy. That's an absurd and offensive response to anything anybody has said over the last several pages.

the_wart

Oct 25, 2017

Maybe the issue is that nobody knows what you think constitutes an olive branch. And when your brand is primarily, "the evil establishment is out to get you", then you can't accept an olive branch from the establishment anyway. That's the editorial "you", not you specifically.

Also it seems very strange to me to claim that the progressive wing of the party hasn't had any influence. The fact that the platform of the boring, moderate, centrist career politicians now includes things like a public healthcare option is a testament to the major influence that the progressive wing has had. What they haven't done is gotten particular people elected to public office, but that shouldn't be the primary measurement of success.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
Do you guys think the moderates would've still formed the Voltron if it was Warren, instead of Bernie, who was the progressive frontrunner headed into ST?

I don't think they would've been so eager to deny her, particularly Klob. I like feel she would've at least stayed in to win MN.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just not sure why we are talking about olive branches when the race isn't over, and Bernie is out there trashing Biden during his speech last night. If we are playing this game, this race is still at least semi competitive, where is Bernie's olive branch to those not already part of his base?

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Yes, we are repeating the same mistakes of the 1920s in the 2020s.

Shit sucks.
The most salient line of the program is that fascists take power via legal means by stoking fear, and disenfranchising vulnerable groups of people through social and economic cues, then when they have government, they begin slowly destroying the systems that gave them power so they can hold onto it unlawfully, and truly being their campaigns of hatred, greed, and violence.

And that the line "the banality of evil" is because the Nazis slowly seeped into power through seemingly unimportant, everyday actions.

This is literally what is staring us in the face here in North America, and many, many places around the world, and it's absolutely horrifying.

ody

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Do you guys think the moderates would've still formed the Voltron if it was Warren, instead of Bernie, who was the progressive frontrunner headed into ST?

I don't think they would've been so eager to deny her, particularly Klob. I like feel she would've at least stayed in to win MN.
Nah
The sexism was on full display tonight

Dec 29, 2017
Sevilla, Spain

I don't think so either, she's shown that she's willing to bend the knee to the democratic establishment so they wouldn't have mounted such a strong campaign.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
What is your olive branch? Like, Biden hasn't even won yet so I have no idea what he's supposed to do. And you can say he could be nicer to the more left lane, and alright. Then Bernie can stop calling me and everyone who doesn't support him establishment whatevers.

Specifically what is it that you want RIGHT NOW from Biden? What is this olive branch you want?
I am talking about the future if/when he's the nominee, as I've said. I am speaking to my fear of him being the nominee.

I'd love a VP that's palatable to the left. I'd love him to promise a few cabinet positions to progressives and not just lobbyists or Arne Duncan types. I'd like tangible things that progressives could get that weren't just "platform" ideas that no one expected Hillary to actually follow through on.

There are legitimate reasons why progressives are super suspicious of Biden. It's not just coming out of thin air.

I'm just not sure why we are talking about olive branches when the race isn't over, and Bernie is out there trashing Biden during his speech last night. If we are playing this game, this race is still at least semi competitive, where is Bernie's olive branch to those not already part of his base?
Good thing I've already said twice now he would need to do the same thing.

There is not a single person here who is suggesting that advocacy and outreach to Latinx and other minority groups is unimportant or unworthy. That's an absurd and offensive response to anything anybody has said over the last several pages.
I mean when we talk about not having to reach out to Bernie's voters, it certainly does seem like that's what people might mean. So maybe we don't say that then.

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
I do like how, not being Trump, and his being president would stop a whole litany of awful things from occuring, isn't enough for Biden to "earn" some people's votes.

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
The most salient line of the program is that fascists take power via legal means by stoking fear, and disenfranchising vulnerable groups of people through social and economic cues, then when they have government, they begin slowly destroying the systems that gave them power so they can hold onto it unlawfully, and truly being their campaigns of hatred, greed, and violence.

And that the line "the banality of evil" is because the Nazis slowly seeped into power through seemingly unimportant, everyday actions.

This is literally what is staring us in the face here in North America, and many, many places around the world, and it's absolutely horrifying.

Hungary and to a lesser extent Poland have already had this happen.

Thank god the polish opposition won the Senate, even if it's not that important and the opposition contains even further-right-wingers (that hate the current government so in this case, the enemy of my enemy is my friend? Lol)

At least the actual Neo-fascists didn't win in Slovakia.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

At least Joe Walsh gets it.

I'd vote a Maxist Lenonist into office over a fascist.

I'd vote a Chapo styled Marxist!

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
An olive branch I would like to see extended is to incorporate Sanders's immigration reform. I don't expect Biden will do that.

The maneuvers these last few days have not been about platforms. Clyburn said today he wants Biden's campaign to shift towards feelings rather than policies (something which Clinton often did, so good luck). If the interest in these actions and statements is not in a platform, then I don't expect anything conciliatory.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017

Warren posted some of the worst electability numbers the entire cycle. She finished third in her own state. Biden would have just won by more, Bloomberg and probably even Tulsi get more votes too.

Dec 29, 2017
Sevilla, Spain
Her fall began when she tried to explain how she'd pay for Medicare For All.

She backpedaled, she started to flip flop and make these convoluted plans to imlpemen it that wouldn't actually work because she wanted to apease the moderates and because she got spooked by the constant smears against M4A. Bernie has stayed strong in his positions and he's built a huge movement. And he also has a plan on how to pay for it, so don't even start me with that.

Dec 29, 2017
Sevilla, Spain
Warren posted some of the worst electability numbers the entire cycle. She finished third in her own state. Biden would have just won by more, Bloomberg and probably even Tulsi get more votes too.

Agree on this, she wouldn't have done great either way and the DNC still prefers Biden or Bloomberg, but they probably wouldn't have been so brutal with Warren, probably wouldn't have needed to anyways.

Dec 31, 2017
Rough night however if Biden is the one people want so be it.

I would hope that he moves his policies a bit leftward though. They're pretty boring and I think nearly not enough.

loquaciousJenny

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
An olive branch I would like to see extended is to incorporate Sanders's immigration reform. I don't expect Biden will do that.

The maneuvers these last few days have not been about platforms. Clyburn said today he wants Biden's campaign to shift towards feelings rather than policies (something which Clinton often did, so good luck). If the interest in these actions and statements is not in a platform, then I don't expect anything conciliatory.
Clinton had a plan for everything what's this about "feelings"

Wracu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
She backpedaled, she started to flip flop and make these convoluted plans to imlpemen it that wouldn't actually work because she wanted to apease the moderates and because she got spooked by the constant smears against M4A. Bernie has stayed strong in his positions and he's built a huge movement. And he also has a plan on how to pay for it, so don't even start me with that.

He has no plan to get it through Congress though lol. He's about as clueless as Biden in this area. I struggle to differentiate the levels of delusion between "I can work with Republicans" and "the revolution will magically melt the hearts of Republican Senators."

Oct 27, 2017
Biden looks like he's building a coalition. Looks like. If he really is, it would be in people's best interest to make connections now and actually BE a coalition, instead of assuming they can do so once a majority of delegates is amassed. Sometimes it seems to me like this is also Sanders' approach when it comes to some groups - wait for the masses to rise, then reach out.

Neither seems to be examining congress from the past two years and seeing who their representatives are and what they have been up to. Failing to do this means your vision of a coalition in 2020 is flawed and incomplete.

Sanders enjoys the support of a few congresspeople but does not communicate their accomplishments in the house to his supporters, and sometimes makes it seem like no one is working towards his agenda. Biden can't just "Obama" his way to a coalition, either. Congress is different now than when he last served.

Dec 29, 2017
Sevilla, Spain
He has no plan to get it through Congress though lol. He's about as clueless as Biden in this area. I struggle to differentiate the levels of delusion between "I can work with Republicans" and "the revolution will magically melt the hearts of Republican Senators."

I said paying for it. Look, I understand that it's a very difficult thing to accomplish, but if you just admit defeat before even getting into office you're just limiting yourself. It's like studying to get a 5 on a test, you're probably gonna end up getting a 3, instead of what you should have done, which is study for a 10 in the first place.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
At this point i'm more honestly worried about the virus. I am all in on thinking that shit is gonna reach critical mass to the point where voting itself is a problem. There is nothing reassuring about any of the news coming out of how the US is handling this clusterfuck. It's all head in the sand bullshit, and that is all well and good until hospitals have no more beds for old folks about to die and the statistics of young folks riding it out no longer matters.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Im guessing Bernie is regretting those Castro comments right about now, considering he cannot get rekt in Florida (he will ) and hope to get the nomination.

Status
Not open for further replies.