• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Another 3% drop on the Dow even with the Fed's panic cut.

Well... that's not good.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
538's final super tuesday forecast now has Biden with a 31% chance to win a majority of delegates before the convention. Sanders at 8%, "No majority" at 61%.

CbD22xg.png

I'm curious what these numbers would look like with Bloomberg out of the race.

fivethirtyeight.com

Our Final Forecast For Super Tuesday Shows Biden’s Surge — And Lots Of Uncertainty

Former Vice President Joe Biden has gotten a lot of good news over the past few days. A huge, almost 30-point win in South Carolina. A series of impressive endo…

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
LOL what if the fed had followed trump's whims and didn't even have a half point to spare today?

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
www.theatlantic.com

The Texas Congressman Who Isn’t Afraid of the AOC Left

Progressives want Henry Cuellar out. Does his district?

Nuclear meltdown take from this and other reads on this race: JustUs Democrats trying to unseat someone in a D+9 district with a maximalist left candidate is malpractice when the sitting candidate is cruise controlling to re-election every year. Good on Pelosi for intervening, even if its divisive.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Deepstate:

Brad Heath @bradheath

A federal court has ruled that the Justice Department does not need to reveal additional information from the Carter Page FISA applications. The White House said President Trump had declassified the information; the court ruled that he actually had not.​

4:39 PM - Mar 3, 2020

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Nate's model is a big swingy mess. I'm glad they tried it but election science and engineering moves way too fast for historical behaviors to be very accurate, and the compressed cycle and always-on nature of these primaries makes it particularly messy when a clear data point on demographic preference was added.

Anoregon

Oct 25, 2017
Yall aren't gonna be laughing when Hillary legally changes her name to "No One" and thus gets to lay claim to the majority of delegates at the convention.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Biden not even campaigning in CA tells me Bernie is going to do very very well there.

Bernie is also going to win MN and CO with good margins which pretty much washes VA and NC.

DFP and Morning Consult are C ranked pollsters.

Why are we putting much weight in them at all?

So if Bernie does well in CA and is even close in TX (I think he will win it), he will have about 200 delegates on Biden after today.

I think he's better at coalition building than many give him credit for and NV is pretty good evidence of it.

CA does too. Even if the black demographics aren't super high percentage wise it's still the 5th highest black population in the country.

And with latinx folks it seems like Bernie does really well.

Wouldn't him winning TX actually be pretty strong evidence as well of him being able to build a diverse coalition?

He will work on earning more black support in the general.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

A federal court has ruled that the Justice Department does not need to reveal additional information from the Carter Page FISA applications. The White House said President Trump had declassified the information; the court ruled that he actually had not.

Edit: I took too long to find that gif

Oct 29, 2017
Biden not even campaigning in CA tells me Bernie is going to do very very well there.

Bernie is also going to win MN and CO with good margins which pretty much washes VA and NC.

DFP and Morning Consult are C ranked pollsters.

Why are we putting much weight in them at all?

So if Bernie does well in CA and is even close in TX (I think he will win it), he will have about 200 delegates on Biden after today.

I think he's better at coalition building than many give him credit for and NV is pretty good evidence of it.

CA does too. Even if the black demographics aren't super high percentage wise it's still the 5th highest black population in the country.

And with latinx folks it seems like Bernie does really well.

Wouldn't him winning TX actually be pretty strong evidence as well of him being able to build a diverse coalition?

He will work on earning more black support in the general.

Yeah, agreed. It seems to me that right now we are seeing what we saw when the primary began and Biden was the "clear frontrunner". Speculation based on the current playing field. But once votes started coming we saw he was not the clear frontrunner. Tonight is going to be VERY interesting.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Oct 26, 2017
Nate's model is a big swingy mess. I'm glad they tried it but election science and engineering moves way too fast for historical behaviors to be very accurate, and the compressed cycle and always-on nature of these primaries makes it particularly messy when a clear data point on demographic preference was added.

It's garbage with only data and no theory.

Where are utility maximizing media agents? Nowhere, the model just assumes very positive media coverage from whoever won last.
Where are utility maximizing voters that use strategic voting to get the best outcome they want? Nowhere.
Where are utility maximizing candidates that drop out to endorse candidates similar to them? Nowhere.

Nate is all data (7 total primary elections worth of data...) and no theory and so he's produced garbage.

less

Oct 25, 2017
This is a pretty progressive thread, unless you define progressive as 'agrees completely and unconditionally with Bernie.'

Not talking specifically about this thread or any single thread...just Era as a whole. Every now and then there is stuff being expressed that makes me wish that we were better as a whole.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Good news is the Dems are leading the GCB by 11 points, so even if/when Biden faceplants in the general at least the House will be firmly in the Dems' hands (but the Senate can't get any better than 50/50 right now which is bad)

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Where are utility maximizing media agents? Nowhere, the model just assumes very positive media coverage from whoever won last.
Where are utility maximizing voters that use strategic voting to get the best outcome they want? Nowhere.
Where are utility maximizing candidates that drop out to endorse candidates similar to them? Nowhere.
I don't think I'd want a model that tried to guess at stuff like that because its unquantifiable. The model may be at the mercy of those things, but in the end those would be judgement calls, i.e., letting pundit Nate influence the model.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Good news is the Dems are leading the GCB by 11 points, so even if/when Biden faceplants in the general at least the House will be firmly in the Dems' hands (but the Senate can't get any better than 50/50 right now which is bad)
GCB + 11 gets you an inanimate carbon rod winning as the nominee.

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Neither Kerry or McCain had much of a chance given the fundamentals of their respective races. This would be different, Trump is deeply unpopular and just about any challenger should be favored.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
TBH, I'd take John Kerry over Biden. Please.
Kerry is my "if you were a benevolent dictator and could install anyone" choice for president, hands down. If he could just have the job without dealing with the popularity contest that is campaigning, I think he'd be better than Hillary.

Warren's up there too, of course, but in terms of just who would be most effective, it's Kerry.

Yeah no matter what happens we'll be able to stop heinous legislation at least.
Also even if Biden is president, Bernie and Warren will still be senators. The idea that they won't be able to influence legislation is ludicrous, they'll have as much veto power as Joe Manchin.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
Not talking specifically about this thread or any single thread...just Era as a whole. Every now and then there is stuff being expressed that makes me wish that we were better as a whole.
I don't know why me procrastinating at work leads to me being a dick on the internet. Sorry!

Status
Not open for further replies.