• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Only if we are intentionally trying to lose. No one should pick Nina for VP.

I know we had the discussion a few days ago but it's fresh enough in my mind that I want to remind you all that for large swaths of the country, especially my part of it, people are going to react to that Biden clip from the tweet the exact same way you all react to Nina Turner's hiring decisions.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
What about NY, Pennsylvania, Washington, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, New Jersey? These are all roughly 100+ delegate states. A lot of these are favorable for Sanders. I don't see this thing resolving until at least April 28th when 663 delegates are up for grabs in a single day. Not ST level of numbers but still substantial.
Bernie lost several of those by double digits in 2016. At this point I'm not so sure we can just assume those are favorable to Bernie

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
There are some big southern states still, Florida could be real bad for Bernie

That's an understatement. This was the south in 2016. Clinton took:

Alabama 73-26
Arkansas 66-30
Georgia 71-28
Tennessee 66-32
Louisiana 71-23
Mississippi 82-16
Florida 64-33.

That gave her a whopping 392 - 173 delegate advantage over Sanders, a 219 delegate edge.

Of those states only Alabama is today. Given that Sanders made no gains at all in SC vs 2016, in the likely event Biden repeats this run things get easier, not harder for him.

Oct 25, 2017
What about NY, Pennsylvania, Washington, Michigan, Illinois, Ohio, New Jersey? These are all roughly 100+ delegate states. A lot of these are favorable for Sanders. I don't see this thing resolving until at least April 28th when 663 delegates are up for grabs in a single day. Not ST level of numbers but still substantial.
Will they be absolute blowouts? Who knows? Pramila could definitely help WA be a blowout.

Bronlonius

Oct 29, 2017
The flip side of this argument is that, given that Biden is a worse candidate than Hillary in basically every way, shouldn't Bernie be mopping the floor with him — especially while a billionaire is paying hundreds of millions to siphon off Biden's votes?

I should have specified GE candidate. There are hours of footage of him groping and touchy with women and kids. The media's double standard means he'll be held accountable for each and every one, while Trump will again skate by. I'm firmly hoping the penis factor makes up all the difference, countering all the sexism.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
That's an understatement. This was the south in 2016. Clinton took:

Alabama 73-26
Arkansas 66-30
Georgia 71-28
Tennessee 66-32
Louisiana 71-23
Mississippi 82-16
Florida 64-33.

That gave her a whopping 392 - 173 delegate advantage over Sanders, a 219 delegate edge.

Of those states only Alabama is today. Given that Sanders made no gains at all in SC vs 2016, in the likely event Biden repeats this run things get easier, not harder for him.
Arkansas is today as well

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Which would be a better ticket for coalition building? Biden/Bernie or Biden/Warren?
Bernie would be the more obvious and impactful choice in that regard, but two nearly 80-year-old guys on the ticket -- with a nearly 80-year-old Speaker who is in line to succeed them both -- feels scarily like tempting fate to me.

Bronlonius

Oct 29, 2017
I think that I don't need to feel inspired by every candidate I vote for. I think that Biden is less unpopular than Hillary was. I think Biden has a better shot a taking the senate. I trust Biden more to not appoint people like Jeff Weaver or Nina Turner. Yes I think being a man will help him in areas where it hurt Hillary as terrible as that is. I had my inspirational campaign of my youth in 2008. If another Obama comes along that'd be great, but I can't imagine being inspired by Bernie Sanders.

Thank you for your perspective!

Ortix

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Of those, I think only Washington is guaranteed for Sanders. Hillary won Ohio, NJ, Illinois, Pennsylvania and NY last time, and you'd actually expect Biden to appeal even more to the Rust Belt vote (with the 2018 surge of votes from the suburbs helping him). NY Hillary ofc had a home advantage, but still.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
In a H2H race, Sanders could easily lose several of those states. He has only won WA's useless primary 55-45 in 2016.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Of those, I think only Washington is guaranteed for Sanders. Hillary won Ohio, NJ, Illinois, Pennsylvania and NY last time, and you'd actually expect Biden to appeal even more to the Rust Belt vote (with the 2018 surge of votes from the suburbs helping him). NY Hillary ofc had a home advantage, but still.
I mean Hillary won CA last time but Bernie is most definitely going to win CA this time. So its not exactly a 1:1 comparison with 2016. Hillary also won Nevada over Sanders last time.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Bernie is probably favored to win NY and OH and I wouldn't be surprised if he won in the rest of the rust belt as well.

The race won't be over for quite a long while sadly, and I'm convinced no one can get a majority.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
People are making a mistake here. You cant assume Biden will do as well as Hillsry did in certain states.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
Steyer can do plenty of good on his own being a billionaire and all. Why not someone like Inslee?
Thats fair, but I dont know enough about Inslee. Meanwhile Steyer put himself out there as pretty much a single policy candidate. Im just gonna assume he feels like he can do more with a bigger podium than his normal business can provide to push environmental change snd focus.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
People are making a mistake here. You cant assume Biden will do as well as Hillsry did in certain states.
And you can't just assume Bernie will turn around 10-30% losses from 2016 either (or to do as well in states he won). It's almost like me know a whole lot of nothing right now because the race is in chaos.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I mean Hillary won CA last time but Bernie is most definitely going to win CA this time. So its not exactly a 1:1 comparison with 2016.

Bernie put a ton of effort and resources into CA *because* clinton beat him badly there in 2016 and its a super tuesday state this time. Last year it was June 7.

None of the other states are in that boat.

Bronlonius

Oct 29, 2017
Also i got invited to a Paid focus group in CA but when I checked the URL it said GOP and went nope. And Not a day later I got a text from a Tula supporter asking for my vote and I reported the text as spam

Dude, take their money and skew their results. Maybe you can inject a bit of fact and reality into their bubble world by acting the part a bit, then dropping some truth bombs. If it backfires, then screw with them and take the money. I would. It's what they exist to do, so give it back to them.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

The .5 rate cut by the Fed seems to have really spooked the securities markets, rather than calmed them. Such a heavy-handed move might naturally make traders think: "Jeez, it might be worse than we think it is."

Reading the markets is a fool's errand, but the comment does ring true.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
For what it's worth, I think NY is pretty up in the air. We're not accustomed to mattering in the primary, so I imagine there is a lot of wiggle room for the candidates. If it comes down to Super Tuesday 2, I think a lot of New Yorkers will be saying to themselves "Oh shit, I didn't think we'd matter." I won't lie, I'm one of these people.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie put a ton of effort and resources into CA *because* clinton beat him badly there in 2016 and its a super tuesday state this time. Last year it was June 7.

None of the other states are in that boat.
What does that have to do with anything? You don't think Bernie gonna put in that work in those other big states too? He put in a ton of work in Texas too and he might even win that too despite Hillary winning that one last time as well. And again, for emphasis.. he just won Nevada in a huge manner (where he put in work) when he didn't in 2016.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not even sure whatever goes down today is really indicative of the rest of the race--a big enough Bernie blowout would probably end it, but Biden having a really, really strong day today doesn't necessarily mean he'll have a strong rest-of-the-primary. The past few days have been insanely good for him, and once that glow fades who knows how things a month from now play out.

Basically this primary is never ending

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
For what it's worth, I think NY is pretty up in the air. We're not accustomed to mattering in the primary, so I imagine there is a lot of wiggle room for the candidates. If it comes down to Super Tuesday 2, I think a lot of New Yorkers will be saying to themselves "Oh shit, I didn't think we'd matter." I won't lie, I'm one of these people.
It's helpful that Sanders has an extremely charismatic New Yorker to stump for him there.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Vote for no more than 33! What do?!
07cb3ca6-862f-429a-a81krp.jpeg

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
What does that have to do with anything? You don't think Bernie gonna put in that work in those other big states too? He put in a ton of work in Texas too and he might even win that too despite Hillary winning that one last time as well. And again, for emphasis.. he just won Nevada in a huge manner (where he put in work).

That doesn't apply for any of the states you listed. His campaign has not been present to the same degree (if at all) so expecting double digit turnarounds is nonsensical.

CA? NV? TX? Reasonable. States where he has put no effort in, like SC? No.

Status
Not open for further replies.