• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronlonius

Oct 29, 2017
Man, Biden's going to be so bad in the GE. He's currently losing (and will be losing after super Tuesday) to Bernie in the Dem primary after having almost the entirety of the dem establishment behind him. He's only where he is (still losing mind you) because of being vice-president to Obama and being endorsed by Jim Clyburn. His fundraising is subpar, his organization is subpar, no one has enthusiasm for him or his policies directly (he's the Obama candidate or the non-sanders candidate) and yet we think he's going to beat Trump If he barely beats Bernie on his home field with all the advantages? He's literally worse than Hillary in every way.

I wish I could LIKE this comment, it's spot fucking on. What am I missing with Biden, because he's so milqetoast, it's just maddening. Plus, the right has assumed he'd be the nominee for a long time, and they've got cruise ships full of Oppo for him, and it'll be bad, very bad. Please change my mind and enlighten me as to why he's better than our populist movement they're trying to shut down.

The smartest thing the GOP did was coalesce behind Trump, even if it took a while. They listened to the people, begrudgingly or not, and won because of it. Now, they may burn forever because of it, and that would be amazing, but at least they're not actively trying to tell millions that they don't matter and that they don't care about the young enthusiastic voters like the DNC establishment is doing. What kind of party sees a huge energetic movement, bringing in tons of new voters, and says, "naw, we're good, it's Biden's turn. Go away and be quiet in your little selfie corners." ?

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
LOL watch Sanders ultimately win CA by only ~5% when all the votes have been counted.

The crowing might actually get quieter and quieter as votes - and therefore delegates - stream in because of late deciders and people who held their ballots.

Oct 27, 2017
One progressive has built a multicultural, multigenerational base that needs change and one hasn't. Saying Warren needs to drop out and join our fight doesn't seem bad to the people who suffer most under the system we live under. Trying to paint this as sexism when we know the cards we have now seems like you're missing the Forrest for the trees. Like I love Liz, but fuck some of us see this as more than a game and we don't have the privilege to Moderate hop.

Just because someone makes a comment that doesn't seem to favor Sanders, doesn't mean they don't agree with what you agree with. If you've kept up with my posts on here, you would know how disappointed I am that the 21st century so far still has too much in common with the 20th century. I was one of the first people in this thread to say Sanders should run this cycle.

And you're right, it's not a game. But if it's true that Warren hasn't really assembled a wide-spectrum base that needs change, then who are those voters and why would another campaign think they would want to support them?

Still, the coalesced-enough coalition majority needed to win might, and I stress MIGHT be there for Biden. It also MIGHT be there for Sanders. One riding on "I was with Obama" while the other calls everyone else "the establishment" isn't going to get it for either of them. Both campaigns need to know who these voters are.

If both of them wait for a coalition to appear instead of working towards one, then it will be the two of them that could bring about a contested convention. But certainly not a woman who has a relative pittance of delegates - thanks to her listening to her sub-optimal campaign operation a few too many times, while sticking up for women during presidential primary debates against a billionaire for as long as she could.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
I wish I could LIKE this comment, it's spot fucking on. What am I missing with Biden, because he's so milqetoast, it's just maddening. Plus, the right has assumed he'd be the nominee for a long time, and they've got cruise ships full of Oppo for him, and it'll be bad, very bad. Please change my mind and enlighten me as to why he's better than our populist movement they're trying to shut down.

The smartest thing the GOP did was coalesce behind Trump, even if it took a while. They listened to the people, begrudgingly or not, and won because of it. Now, they may burn forever because of it, and that would be amazing, but at least they're not actively trying to tell millions that they don't matter and that they don't care about the young enthusiastic voters like the DNC establishment is doing. What kind of party sees a huge energetic movement, bringing in tons of new voters, and says, "naw, we're good, it's Biden's turn. Go away and be quiet in your little selfie corners." ?

Where are "they" telling young people not to vote?

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
LOL watch Sanders ultimately win CA by only ~5% when all the votes have been counted.

The crowing might actually get quieter and quieter as votes - and therefore delegates - stream in because of late deciders and people who held their ballots.
I have no idea how CA is going to go, but "Sanders is huge among early deciders but not so much with late ones" is definitely a pattern that's showing up.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017

How exactly are they "trying to shut it down"? I don't really see anything other than members of the Democratic Party endorsing Biden? Or the candidates who are dropping out (who are ideologically closer to Biden than Sanders)? Or are you saying that they shouldn't be endorsing him?

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017

Who's trying to shut down your populist movement?

AzorAhai

Oct 29, 2017
Aaaaaand we're done. It was nice being hopeful for a few weeks, but moderate megazord is going to wrap this.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

as always, working class = white 🙄

You're missing that some (many) people want a milquetoast President that doesn't rock the boatr

I've got to say, I love that the narrative for 4 years from Bernie fans was that they had no obligation to support Hillary and it was her fault for not getting more people to vote for her.... but today it has all been 'how dare Democrats not support Bernie'. Is it not on him to attract the voters (aka the 'party') ?

Allard

Oct 25, 2017

Did it ever occur to you that some people, in the face of seeing Trump, WANT a "milqetoast" candidate? I can't count the number of times my normally 'not political' relatives have basically been shouting at the TV wanting Trump to just go away but they haven't bought into the idea that a great sea of change needs to happen. As a progressive I know it needs to happen, but that doesn't mean the rest of the electorate does or cares, but they might if the other side isn't much better trying to literally change everything, for them 'change' is scary for a good deal of people and those are simple facts. It doesn't mean you still don't fight for what you believe in, but Sanders hasn't made the case for a lot of people that his fight is their fight, and a great deal would rather just go to a time when it wasn't Trump at the top.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
The smartest thing the GOP did was coalesce behind Trump, even if it took a while. They listened to the people, begrudgingly or not, and won because of it.

It's funny you say that because "a while" was actually "until the bitter end" when Trump finally had an insurmountable lead and everyone kneeled.

So in this comparison Democrats won't need to coalesce behind Bernie until he reaches a majority of delegates months from now.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
Their parliamentary system seems even more nightmarish than ours.

I think there's a merit to saying if your people are hopelessly divided, then your governments should be both shortlived and powerless. Otherwise you just end up with tyranny of a slim majority like you see in our system, which is also toxic and destabilizing.

Israel has the unique problem of religious zealotry and the non-participation of the oppressed minority.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Aaaaaand we're done. It was nice being hopeful for a few weeks, but moderate megazord is going to wrap this.
I obviously don't support Bernie, but I wouldn't say give up hope. Do what you can. Make calls, talk to your friends, do whatever you think could positively affect his chances. Until the cards are on the table, anything could happen.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
There was a ton of push back from the GOP on giving Trump the nomination. It didn't matter because more people voted for him.

The same is true of Bernie. He needs to get the votes first....and if he doesn't get the votes, then he wasn't a good enough candidate for the PEOPLE to coalesce around him. It's as simple as that.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Even if Bernie loses in the end, I think the Bernie playbook but attempted by a young progressive would be immensely successful.

Hindl

Oct 25, 2017
Even if Bernie loses in the end, I think the Bernie playbook but attempted by a young progressive would be immensely successful.
Not to mention how far he's pulled the party leftward. Even if Biden wins, his platform is to the left of pretty much every modern Democratic President. Without Bernie, that doesn't happen

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017

This is just about the worst time to give up, considering almost all the delegates are still out there. Bernie is in such a better spot than 2016 right now. Defeatism isn't really the angle to go unless you just don't think enough people want to vote for him, which would be your cool and that's fine. But pretending this is over now is not really backed up by anything concrete.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Senate GOP:

Manu Raju @mkraju

Early reaction from McConnell and others shows that while Ratcliffe could certainly get confirmed, he doesn't have much margin for error during his confirmation proceedings https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/02/pol

Senate Intel Chairman Richard Burr just told me there is no ambiguity from his measured Friday night statement: He will back John Ratcliffe to be DNI. "I'm supportive of John Ratcliffe. That's what the statement said. Period."

Asked what changed from last year when Ratcliffe was first nominated and GOP senators had concerns, Burr said: "There was a different pathway in the Senate. I don't think anybody has changed their opinion of John Ratcliffe. What changed is the pathway to get somebody confirmed."

Burr added: "If Democrats want to vote against him and have Grenell stay on as acting is fine with me."​

6:07 PM - Mar 2, 2020

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
folks i feel like we need to put a bit more effort into The Revolution besides giving up four contests into a primary of 50+ contests

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Also in Bad Nate's totally 100% predictive model that doesn't just react to everything like a toddler on a sugar high

Bernie has a 17% chance to get a majority
Biden has a 14% chance to get a majority.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
Who knows how it'll all pan out tomorrow with 2nd choices 3rd choices being out, early voting and ect. we're probably overreacting to whatever the end result is.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
I am looking forward to smaller debates as well. It will be a relief to make fun of everyone equally while watching now.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Fun times

9ad6ba65-1df2-446a-8uzjce.jpeg

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I hate to defund Trump,. but the tweet is not an accurate representation of the video. He is saying over a year from the start of the video and repeats that throughout. They (not just Trump) are talking about some "phase 1" within a few months and what that would entail. He jokes that XXX(?) said 2 months and he "likes the sound of that better" (I got the impression this is what he is referring to when the clip starts)

Referring to the top tweet, not the nonsense where goes on about the flu vaccine

Oct 25, 2017
The only candidate that I actually believed cared about some of the minority issues affecting me was Elizabeth Warren.

Biden is a mess.

If I talked minority issues with Bernie, he'd hit me with a segway into another stump speech.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
His fundraising is subpar, his organization is subpar, no one has enthusiasm for him or his policies directly (he's the Obama candidate or the non-sanders candidate) and yet we think he's going to beat Trump If he barely beats Bernie on his home field with all the advantages? He's literally worse than Hillary in every way.
You are totally entitled to your opinion here. Polling shows otherwise in BG states, but the enthusiasm gap is for real. Bernie is flatly better there - at least within certain parts of the electorate.

Man, Biden's going to be so bad in the GE. He's currently losing (and will be losing after super Tuesday) to Bernie in the Dem primary after having almost the entirety of the dem establishment behind him.
This part is just false. He has absolutely had his lunch eaten from a massively clogged lane including a billionaire blanketing the airwaves. You can absolutely make the case that if he was a better candidate, they wouldn't have been able to grab his votes, but you can't ignore his path here and pretend that the whole establishment has been behind him. It's just not true.

Status
Not open for further replies.