• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
That's exactly what they say, unless you have a reasonable answer as to where bloomberg's support was coming from that wasn't Biden.
I wondered why you cropped the data when you did.

Biden was MOE 30% for the entire race until he lost Iowa and New Hampshire. Then he plummeted and Bloomberg gained. Almost FOUR MONTHS after he joined the race.

You're just wrong dude.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
I wondered why you cropped the data when you did.

Biden was MOE 30% for the entire race until he lost Iowa and New Hampshire. Then he plummeted and Bloomberg gained. Almost FOUR MONTHS after he joined the race.

You're just wrong dude.

Discussions with you have become tiresome. You're on my ignore list, enjoy the stay.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
So, I think a big part of the pressure for Pete to get out is a reaction to Bernie's performance in South Carolina last night. (Hear me out.) From 2016-2020, after actually investing time in the state, Bernie barely improved his numbers with African American voters. He also lost African American voters in Nevada, but not as badly as in SC. Biden is absolutely right in that you do not win the Democratic nomination let alone the presidency without winning the African American vote. (Which, of course, is not a monolith whatsoever.) I think if Bernie had managed to do a bit better, keeping it actually close, I don't think Pete drops out. Obviously, Biden's strength was like a huge part too, but I think you can't consider Biden's strength last night without also evaluating Bernie's weakness. The only Dem candidate who became the nominee without carrying SC was Edwards, and he only won by 14 points while being the Senator from the adjacent state.

With SC being the first majority minority state (NV was 65% white after all) I wonder if that kinda spooked some folks who, while they probably didn't/don't want Bernie, they would be fine with it if he was improving his numbers with Black voters from 2016.

And let me be clear, I am in NO WAY white washing Bernie's support or saying his performance among Latinx voters is anything less than impressive.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Biden is now the youngest male candidate running in the Democratic primary....

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Yo, I don't know if Manmademan will see this, but I seriously meant you no ill will and I apologize for being snarky.

It's clear you're a smart guy. We can just avoid disagreeing so forcefully in the future.

In any case. I wish you only good things. We're on the same side.

Chitown B

Nov 15, 2017
So, I think a big part of the pressure for Pete to get out is a reaction to Bernie's performance in South Carolina last night. (Hear me out.) From 2016-2020, after actually investing time in the state, Bernie barely improved his numbers with African American voters. He also lost African American voters in Nevada, but not as badly as in SC. Biden is absolutely right in that you do not win the Democratic nomination let alone the presidency without winning the African American vote. (Which, of course, is not a monolith whatsoever.) I think if Bernie had managed to do a bit better, keeping it actually close, I don't think Pete drops out. Obviously, Biden's strength was like a huge part too, but I think you can't consider Biden's strength last night without also evaluating Bernie's weakness. The only Dem candidate who became the nominee without carrying SC was Edwards, and he only won by 14 points while being the Senator from the adjacent state.

With SC being the first majority minority state (NV was 65% white after all) I wonder if that kinda spooked some folks who, while they probably didn't/don't want Bernie, they would be fine with it if he was improving his numbers with Black voters from 2016.

And let me be clear, I am in NO WAY white washing Bernie's support or saying his performance among Latinx voters is anything less than impressive.

I feel like this unfairly assumes that black voters wouldn't back Sanders if he beat out Biden. Yes they do like Biden more, but I don't think they have ill will towards Bernie from all the black people I know that I've spoken to about candidates. If they weren't outright supporting Bernie as #1, they still had him #2 for the most part. So, if Biden didn't get the nom, I don't see issues with Bernie sweeping up the black vote. Especially over Trump.

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I imagine Amy's staff has tried to get her to drop out. It's just that everyone who goes to tell her never returns.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I didn't like Pete much after his turn towards the moderate lane, smart a move as it was, but I can't miss that he made a impact as the first significant queer candidate to make it to the big stage and the first one to win a state. May there be more and better ones after him. The speech by Chasten about Pete got me all emotional. :(

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I feel like this unfairly assumes that black voters wouldn't back Sanders if he beat out Biden. Yes they do like Biden more, but I don't think they have ill will towards Bernie from all the black people I know that I've spoken to about candidates. If they weren't outright supporting Bernie as #1, they still had him #2 for the most part. So, if Biden didn't get the nom, I don't see issues with Bernie sweeping up the black vote. Especially over Trump.
So a few things. Bernie was as popular in SC as Pete among black voters. The fact is, in South Carolina specifically, we've had two election cycles where Bernie hasn't improved his numbers. It's not as though we can argue they just don't know him or whatever at this point. I'm also hesitant to say that any voting cohort would just jump over to someone else when I'm not a member of that group. So I won't speak to that. What I will say is turnout could be down among certain constituencies if they don't like who we run. Like, we cannot argue that the youth might not turn out if we don't run Biden but not admit the real possibility that "group XYZ" won't turnout for Bernie.

Then you have stuff like this. This is a bad look.

Oct 27, 2017
Local news just said NY state has its first coronavirus victim, in their thirties.

Bloomberg's address is on now, blindng me because it's very brightly lit for some reason.

People dropping out who were alternative picks to Biden for some people, won't hurt Biden.

Without Senate majority control, little to nothing will likely get passed, so...a progressive agenda is going to have to be won state by state anyway, not through one single person. There are many important "who can win best in what state/district" conversations still to be had after Tuesday. I hope the candidates have been keeping this in mind.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
What do ya'll think. Is this the turning point where we'll see a more inclusive Bernie? He's ahead, but with obvious reservations from a chunk of the electorate.

Time for a fireside chat without the classist name calling? Will he consider Warren's approach to M4A? Will he shut up about dictators?

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What do ya'll think. Is this the turning point where we'll see a more inclusive Bernie? He's ahead, but with obvious reservations from a chunk of the electorate.

Time for a fireside chat without the classist name calling? Will he consider Warren's approach to M4A? Will he shut up about dictators?
No, but he should have a plan for courting older voters

Dr. Benton Quest

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Local news just said NY state has its first coronavirus victim, in their thirtiqes.

Bloomberg's address is on now, blindng me because it's very brightly lit for some reason.

People dropping out who were alternative picks to Biden for some people, won't hurt Biden.

Without Senate majority control, little to nothing will likely get passed, so...a progressive agenda is going to have to be won state by state anyway, not through one single person. There are many important "who can win best in what state/district" conversations still to be had after Tuesday. I hope the candidates have been keeping this in mind.
The hardest part of all this is that we might rip ourselves apart for little gain.

Yes, many horrific things will end and the lives of thousands will be better just by changing the executive branch.

And hell that might actually be worth it.

I just don't see us taking the Senate. Until we do, the minority "majority" party will continue to block everything meaningful.

Status
Not open for further replies.