• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
www.nytimes.com

Elizabeth Warren Has Won Black Activists. She’s Losing the Black Vote. (Published 2020)

She earned coveted endorsements and released racial justice plans that scholars agree could make a real difference. That hasn’t meant much on the ground.

Steadman™ @AsteadWesley

NEW: Elizabeth Warren's supporter base is (still) entirely too white. Despite the backing of prominent black activists, she is largely a non-factor in SC. It is, for now, a lesson on the difference between grasstop support and the grassroots https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/28/us/politics/elizabeth-warren-black-vote.html …

Warren touts how not doing fundraisers lets her do more events. But according to @postandcourier's tracker, she's done less events in South Carolina than Tim Ryan or Deval Patrick. Sanders/Buttigeg have done double. She's only two more than Klobuchar.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/28/us/politics/elizabeth-warren-black-vote.html …

Some signs Warren's team knew it was in trouble w/ black voter outreach last year. Campaign reached out to free agent black operatives looking for an "adult in the room." Didn't happen tho, $$$ dried up amid polling downturn
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/28/us/

3:50 PM - Feb 28, 2020

Steadman™ @AsteadWesley

I dont think the takeaway here is that activists dont matter or policy is unimportant. But that it has to be coupled with meeting people where they are. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/28/us/politics/elizabeth-warren-black-vote.html …

4:46 PM - Feb 28, 2020

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Bloomberg's share is still real, I just kind of don't get how he's at 20%+ nationwide. I mean when I look at him and think about voting for him, it's because I have such massive privilege that I can be OK with a relentless technocratic robot overseer operating with ethical subroutines disabled who will fix climate change and mass shootings at any cost. People probably will not like the things he'd do to get it done, but it would get done. But there can't be more than a handful of people who are as sick in the head as me in that evaluation.

Maybe they just see him in the ads and think "ok, he's fine and just as good as the others but has infinite cash, so that's good!"? I dunno, but my read there is that his support could collapse overnight if there was a clear Bernie alternative.

Uzuzu

Nov 18, 2017
www.nytimes.com

Elizabeth Warren Has Won Black Activists. She’s Losing the Black Vote. (Published 2020)

She earned coveted endorsements and released racial justice plans that scholars agree could make a real difference. That hasn’t meant much on the ground.

Steadman™ @AsteadWesley

NEW: Elizabeth Warren's supporter base is (still) entirely too white. Despite the backing of prominent black activists, she is largely a non-factor in SC. It is, for now, a lesson on the difference between grasstop support and the grassroots https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/28/us/politics/elizabeth-warren-black-vote.html …

Warren touts how not doing fundraisers lets her do more events. But according to @postandcourier's tracker, she's done less events in South Carolina than Tim Ryan or Deval Patrick. Sanders/Buttigeg have done double. She's only two more than Klobuchar.
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/28/us/politics/elizabeth-warren-black-vote.html …

Some signs Warren's team knew it was in trouble w/ black voter outreach last year. Campaign reached out to free agent black operatives looking for an "adult in the room." Didn't happen tho, $$$ dried up amid polling downturn

Steadman™ @AsteadWesley

I dont think the takeaway here is that activists dont matter or policy is unimportant. But that it has to be coupled with meeting people where they are. https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/28/us/politics/elizabeth-warren-black-vote.html …

yeah it seems like she's giving up the south much like sanders in 2016

Lump

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg's share is still real, I just kind of don't get how he's at 20%+ nationwide. I mean when I look at him and think about voting for him, it's because I have such massive privilege that I can be OK with a relentless technocratic robot overseer operating with ethical subroutines disabled who will fix climate change and mass shootings at any cost. People probably will not like the things he'd do to get it done, but it would get done. But there can't be more than a handful of people who are as sick in the head as me in that evaluation.

Maybe they just see him in the ads and think "ok, he's fine and just as good as the others but has infinite cash, so that's good!"? I dunno, but my read there is that his support could collapse overnight if there was a clear Bernie alternative.

If nothing else, Bloomberg is a good social experiment for how much someone running as a Democrat can buy votes with massive ad buys without anything else going for them.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 day): inadvertently posting personal information
mod edit: let's not post tweets with people's personal information
Chris Koob, the treasurer of Persist PAC, the Super PAC that recently dropped $9 million on Elizabeth Warren ad buys, is the former COO of Securing America's Energy Future, a military + business led oil advocacy group

lawandcrime.com

Pro-Warren Persist PAC Run by Chris Koob | Law & Crime

Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-Mass.) recently surprised supporters and opponents alike by embracing a Super PAC set to over $14 million on her behalf in several Super Tuesday states—just days after condemning her opponents in the 2020 primary for their own alleged acceptance of such outside spending...

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg's share is still real, I just kind of don't get how he's at 20%+ nationwide.

I wrote this up elsewhere yesterday, but to give an idea on how extensive his campaign spending has been and how (smartly) targeted it is -

So, cut the cord years ago, have ad-free Hulu, etc. The only way I get exposed to ads, ever, is on radio during my daily commute or running to stores. I have seen nor heard zero ads for any candidate until yesterday. A single ad, on 107.9, which is a rap station in NE Ohio and it was Bloomberg. The message was threefold - 1) Mike wants to get 1 million more black families in home ownership, 2) is investing heavily in making sure there are more black business (I forget the number, but it was big), and 3) something else for the black community which, sure Mike, but that's good outreach. I have never heard a political ad on that station, ever.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
www.nytimes.com

Steadman™ @AsteadWesley

Steadman™ @AsteadWesley

Just goes to show how difficult running a national campaign is and that there are learning curves for even great candidates. If Warren were younger she would be in a great position to expand upon her 2020 run and win it all in the next race.

Oct 27, 2017
Our HOA has pretty tight rules on signage on your property, but we get 90 days to place yard signs prior to state and federal elections. My wife is paranoid I will draw attention to our house and bring the weirdos out, so she has forbade me from putting anything but one, boring candidate sign up.

Since I won't be able to let my freak flag fly, I wanted to run possible shirt ideas past folks who at least have a passing familiarity with the issues. What do y'all think about:

"Republicans are a virus; let your vote be your vaccine"

I think it's worth the $30 to have that special made, even if she refused to go out in public with me while wearing it.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
Just goes to show how difficult running a national campaign is and that there are learning curves for even great candidates. If Warren were younger she would be in a great position to expand upon her 2020 run and win it all in the next race.

Hey, Bernie is 78, she can run again in 8 years and be the same age. Lessons learned.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Bloomberg @business

JUST IN: Activist investor Elliott Management has taken a sizable stake in Twitter and plans to push for changes, including replacing CEO Jack Dorsey, sources say https://trib.al/aryELi6

8:48 PM - Feb 28, 2020

southpaw@nycsouthpaw

Elliott is run by big GOP donor Paul Singer. https://twitter.com/business/status/1233569821436063744 …

8:50 PM - Feb 28, 2020

I had a real life smile->frown moment between those two tweets.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
If nothing else, Bloomberg is a good social experiment for how much someone running as a Democrat can buy votes with massive ad buys without anything else going for them.

I kind of want to keep Bloomberg in the race all the way through the convention just as some kind of massive election science incubator. His people are making decisions almost free from any cost outside of administrative capacity. It's wild!

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Since I won't be able to let my freak flag fly, I wanted to run possible shirt ideas past folks who at least have a passing familiarity with the issues. What do y'all think about:

"Republicans are a virus; let your vote be your vaccine"

I think it's worth the $30 to have that special made, even if she refused to go out in public with me while wearing it.

I dunno, but I would go with maybe something more positive. Support something associated w/ your own identity and tastes instead of just being divisive.

madstarr12

Jan 25, 2018
AtlasIntel South Carolina poll showing:

Biden: 35%
Bernie: 24%
Steyer: 12%
Pete: 8%
Warren: 7%

AtlasIntel were fairly accurate with NH and pretty accurate with Bernie's % in NV, but this poll was done with an electorate comprising of just 25% being African Americans.....

Like DFP, they're likely under-polling African Americans in SC. Another accurate (so far) pollster this cycle seems to be under representing African Americans, or at least seem to be thinking African American turnout is gonna be a lower portion of the electorate in SC compared to 2008 (55%) or 2016 (61%). DFP thinks 36% of the SC electorate will be Black

Kinda wonder about the Virginia DFP poll now. They're pegging Black turnout to be 19% of the electorate, when in 2008, it was 30% and 2016 was 26%. Not a huge difference compared to SC.

Tomorrow will be interesting to see which pollster ends up most accurate....

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I legitimately don't know what the increased white turnout means and who it helps.

I don't think that it will be a majority white electorate, but an increase in white turn out doesn't seem to favor any one candidate more than the other. In the DFP poll, Biden, Pete and Bernie were basically splitting the white vote. I want to say an increased white turnout might help Pete a bit more than Biden and Sanders, but that's more a thought exercise than anything else. Probably will be a wash overall, but it is interesting.

I don't think it's because of republicans rat fucking a primary. That almost never happens and never works.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

Bloomberg @business

JUST IN: Activist investor Elliott Management has taken a sizable stake in Twitter and plans to push for changes, including replacing CEO Jack Dorsey, sources say https://trib.al/aryELi6

8:48 PM - Feb 28, 2020

southpaw@nycsouthpaw

Elliott is run by big GOP donor Paul Singer. https://twitter.com/business/status/1233569821436063744 …

8:50 PM - Feb 28, 2020

I'll be impressed if they push him out before the election and reverse their misinformation stance.

Sirhc

Hasn't made a thread yet. Shame me.
Oct 27, 2017
Reading these last couple of pages is traumatizing

This describes every day of my life catching up on this thread... disappointed by the lack of ironic snake emojis though.

Speaking of which...can I just make my vote with s snake emoji sticker when I mail that in tomorrow?

"Please mark your choice for Democratic presidential nominee.

🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍"

Z Y

Oct 27, 2017
Trump planting the seeds for the coronavirus "hoax" to kill a million people while his supporters live in their alternate reality where the crooked MSM is blowing everything out of proportion. "It's all a lie! Only 15 Americans were infected and they're doing great!"

Anything to protect his approval numbers.

twitter.com

Dana Milbank on Twitter

“Remember this moment: Trump, in South Carolina, just called the coronavirus a "hoax."”

Remember this moment: Trump, in South Carolina, just called the coronavirus a "hoax."

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
I wrote this up elsewhere yesterday, but to give an idea on how extensive his campaign spending has been and how (smartly) targeted it is -

So, cut the cord years ago, have ad-free Hulu, etc. The only way I get exposed to ads, ever, is on radio during my daily commute or running to stores. I have seen nor heard zero ads for any candidate until yesterday. A single ad, on 107.9, which is a rap station in NE Ohio and it was Bloomberg. The message was threefold - 1) Mike wants to get 1 million more black families in home ownership, 2) is investing heavily in making sure there are more black business (I forget the number, but it was big), and 3) something else for the black community which, sure Mike, but that's good outreach. I have never heard a political ad on that station, ever.
And I bet it was a really good ad, too. Maybe people come to hate them from repetition, or they just hate the messenger from the start, but his ad campaign is stellar. They're either 30 seconds of shitting on Trump or a hagiographic montage of (seemingly) being endorsed by Obama. I can understand why low-info voters are responding.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
twitter.com

Dana Milbank on Twitter

“Remember this moment: Trump, in South Carolina, just called the coronavirus a "hoax."”

Remember this moment: Trump, in South Carolina, just called the coronavirus a "hoax."
>

www.politico.com

Trump rallies his base to treat coronavirus as a ‘hoax’

At a South Carolina rally on the eve of the Democratic primary, the president also sought to manage expectations about the White House’s response to the outbreak.
Trump's comments came as the White House has struggled to adequately respond to and contain the coronavirus's increasingly sweeping path. At the rally — held here on the eve of the Democratic primary in South Carolina — he sought to manage Americans' expectations about the White House's ability to fight it.
By undermining the news reporting on the virus and by trying to hold liberals responsible for a potential public health crisis that has little to do with politics, Trump did what he often does best: He sought to deflect blame at a time when many Americans sought leadership and scientific facts.

www.nbcnews.com

Trump supporters believe coronavirus could be a 'nothing burger'

NBC's Monica Alba spoke to supporters of President Trump about their concerns about coronavirus as they wait for a rally in South Carolina.

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
This describes every day of my life catching up on this thread... disappointed by the lack of ironic snake emojis though.

Speaking of which...can I just make my vote with s snake emoji sticker when I mail that in tomorrow?

"Please mark your choice for Democratic presidential nominee.

🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍🐍"
Is your avatar a fakeout or a tell for who you're supporting in the primary🤔

this is PoliEra so I'm guessing Warren

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
Trying to fight Coronavirus with Tax Cuts is truly Late Stage GOP.
Real American life continues to look more and more like a cross between South Park and The Boondocks. Can't wait to get off this Trump train already.
I honestly can't even tell what corruption looks like in this country anymore.
Good news for Wisconsin voters?

Best news I've seen in days. We're going to need every voter we can get in Wisconsin for November.

wat
People North of the Wall like Craster's ?
pearwat.jpg

I can only imagine the media's reaction if a Bernie supporter were caught saying things like this.

Wait, we already already saw it with Ben Mora

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I think everyone should be banned from using Game of Thrones references as they relate to politics because the show was not good, and don't at me.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I uh, don't know how to tell you this

GOP canceled their primary in South Carolina this year, nobody's turning out for Trump because they literally can't.
In that case wouldn't it be possible for republicans to vote for whoever they think will do worse against trump hence the uptick in white participation?

Status
Not open for further replies.