• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
We did it boys only down 500 at the close

edit: whoops 350! It really did try to pull up from the ground

Last edited:

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

Trying to fight Coronavirus with Tax Cuts is truly Late Stage GOP.

cutstmkbe.jpg

SquirrelSr

Oct 26, 2017

True title: Many Republicans are too afraid to admit they are Republicans despite always voting Republican.

Temporarily embarrassed Republicans.

The self-aware Republicans start identifying themselves as Independents to avoid being called out. While the Trumpers stay in the party and boost the orange's approval rating to 100% along party lines.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
$1,020BN deficits, up 74% under Trump since Obama. What do we need? MOAR TAX CUTS (especially for the rich...)

Coronavirus vaccine will cost you though.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017

lol they have one go to move and that's it.

A creative person might consider working up a plan to give healthcare for those that might be affected by the virus but hey, I'm sure a $20 refund addresses the problem better.

Crazy idea: how about guaranteeing free medical care for those infected instead?

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
In 2010, Michelle Obama unveiled a bold campaign to take on the junk food industry by providing voluntary guidelines to discourage foods with high levels of added sugars, salt, and fat from being marketed to children.

The guidelines, while celebrated by nutrition experts and public health advocates, were dead in the water within a year. Industry lobbyists for companies like General Mills, Kellogg, PepsiCo, and Time Warner flooded the administration with complaints, claiming that the guidelines would kill jobs, and worked with legislators to slip a provision into the government's budget designed to indefinitely delay the guidelines.

The campaign to defeat Obama's initiative was managed by none other than Dunn, whose firm created an ad-hoc group, the Sensible Food Policy Coalition, to bring industry together in opposition to the guidelines.

theintercept.com

Joe Biden's Chief Strategist Lobbied to Undermine Barack and Michelle Obama's Signature Initiatives

Joe Biden likes to tout his ties to Obama, but he chose Anita Dunn, a lobbyist who fought progressive policies under Obama, to lead his campaign.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
A couple new national polls:

Morning Consult is a B/C rated pollster. Sanders +5, Biden even since most recent pre-debate poll.

Why does Warren seem to poll much higher nationally than she does in individual states? In what states is she doing well to counter balance her poor performance in the first four states?

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Why does Warren seem to poll much higher nationally than she does in individual states? In what states is she doing well to counter balance her poor performance in the first four states?
YouGov always favors Warren for some reason - probably has to do with how they weigh their results which is favorable to her.

Oct 25, 2017
some not too shabby cross-tabs in the morning consult (fwiw) -- bernie leading across everyone but boomers and conservatives. slimly, with moderates, but still nice to see.

X1pcydc.png

that purple and maroon circle post-debate-ish is finger-to-the-wind evidence that warren remaining competitive isn't necessarily hurting sanders on all axes

Last edited:

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
True title: Many Republicans are too afraid to admit they are Republicans despite always voting Republican.

Temporarily embarrassed Republicans.

Although this is certainly true, it matters.

I've said before that I am deeply interested in the relationship between registration, identity, and voting. You had conservatives in the south who continued to vote Democrat (and thus, conservative Democrats) well after the realignment started. That took a couple of decades to shift.

People who may have values more in line with traditional Republicans but can't abide Trump (or can, but don't want to be associated) are one more step further from being all-in. It makes it that much more likely they've vote differently, or ultimately change affiliations.

Using myself as an example-- I'm in my early 50s. I grep up in a GOP household in MI. Very pro Civil Rights, anti Bible Thumper, but also anti-Union and pro Military. In HS I called myself a progressive (with a little p) Republican or a moderate republican. As the party started embracing more of the culture war stuff, and being anti-civil rights, and as I got more liberal, I started calling myself an independent. By the time I was old enough to vote though, I voted very consistently Democrat. (Clinton's Third Way was a great bridge for somebody like me, though I also voted for Dukakis). I didn't register or self-label as a Democrat until 2008 when I did so in order to vote Obama in the primary. I'm now pretty solidly on the left (not as far left as Warren or Sanders, but not a fence-straddler either.

I have a fair number of online acquaintances who call themselves independent who in practice seem to be on this same path and consistently supporting liberal causes but their long term background keeps them from just registering Democrat or identifying with the name.

tl;dr

As the GOP becomes the party of Trump, it's natural (and good!) that the course of party defection involves being Independent. Some of these people will end up Democrats someday.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
If I was in the Sanders camp I'd lean into the Barry Sanders thing

start selling some football jersey style B. Sanders 20 shirts online

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Congrats to Donald Trump. He now owns the two fastest 10% corrections in the S&P 500 in history. He is at #1 and #2, also #12. Obama only manages the 15th fastest market drop in history. So golf clap for Donald.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
QQQ up 1% in the after hours.

The market is going to whipsaw next week. We'll find out what kind of ride we are in for when/if the first American fatality from this thing reports.

It seems pretty clear by now that this administration wants to obscufate the line between this and the regular flu as much as possible, so if people come down with it and don't report, none's the wiser. Obviously, given the way hospitals are getting swamped in affected areas, this can't work for long.

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
The market is going to whipsaw next week. We'll find out what kind of ride we are in for when/if the first American fatality from this thing reports.

It seems pretty clear by now that this administration wants to obscufate the line between this and the regular flu as much as possible, so if people come down with it and don't report, none's the wiser. Obviously, given the way hospitals are getting swamped in affected areas, this can't work for long.

With the popular opinion having been for a long time that a) the market was overvalued and b) we were due for a recession, I'm not sure there will be a lot of fluctuation next week. I think the majority of investors are going to take this as the signal they were waiting for.

Not to be a pessimist, but some people have been waiting for a big market downturn for over a year.

Oct 27, 2017

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
When you really read it, it's so much more fucked up than you think. They literally try to legalize "the President was voted in by the people and thus above the law".

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
Along with more tax cuts for the 1% there will be a tax credit for those Americans that contracted Coronavirus. $500 tax credit to offset $5k-15k in hospital bills. You're welcome.

Those that perish to the illness are shit outta luck.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
When you really read it, it's so much more fucked up than you think. They literally try to legalize "the President was voted in by the people and thus above the law".
It's effectively saying "dont even come back ever, we're never going to get between the two branches". I at least thought they'd rule on what privileges exist and how they apply. They totally glossed over the made up "absolutel privilege" stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.