• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 4346

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know the numbers on this so I genuinely don't know, but are older black voters a reliable voting bloc for Dems in the general because they'll just vote Dem no matter what? Or are they reliable voters in the general because the nominee is typically someone who had already won their support in the primary already? Obama, Gore, and both Clintons won with older black voters in their primaries. Is it a problem for Bernie in November if he wins the nomination without winning over 50+ black voters first? I don't know.

John Kerry actually didn't win black voters in 2004 IIRC, though it was extremely close. I guess we are going to see this fall, because 4 out of the last 5 Democratic nominees won the black vote outright in the primary, but I expect that older black voters are going to show out and vote blue no matter who the nominee is.

Oct 25, 2017
Not just the medical system, basic human to human interaction will slow and basic commercial interactions will be facing a standstill. Dudes behind the register at X,Y,Z store isn't going show up for work, Ubers etc won't either. The panic around it is arguably more dangerous than the virus

To jump off of this, I was just reading this article at the Atlantic: The Problem With Telling Sick Workers to Stay Home

For all but the independently wealthy in America, the best-case scenario for getting sick is being a person with good health insurance, paid time off, and a reasonable boss who won't penalize you for taking a few sick days or working from home. For millions of the country's workers, such a scenario is a near-inconceivable luxury. "With more than a third of Americans in jobs that offer no sick leave at all, many unfortunately cannot afford to take any days off when they are feeling sick," Robyn Gershon, an epidemiology professor at the NYU School of Global Public Health, writes in an email. "People who do not (or cannot) stay home when ill do present a risk to others." On this count, the United States is a global anomaly, one of only a handful of countries that doesn't guarantee its workers paid leave of any kind. These jobs are also the kind least likely to supply workers with health insurance, making it difficult for millions of people to get medical proof they can't go to work.

It's weird, but it's almost like Bernie is being set up to win this election. This issue is going to a) push the economy toward recession and b) be the perfect "our health care is fucked up, I can fix it so that you don't die from pandemics because your BILLIONAIRE BOSS made you come in to work for your crappy nine-dollar-an-hour job."

I mean, Trump fucking this shit up and killing a half-million people because his government's response was poor, combined with sick people being too poor to skip work and stay home, is basically putting things on a tee for Bernie.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Sam Stein @samstein

This NRSC ad is….. not subtle. Doug Collins is friends with black Democrats!! https://twitter.com/NRSC/status/1233073288458403842 …

11:43 AM - Feb 28, 2020

The Senate Majority @NRSC
https://twitter.com/NRSC/status/1233073288458403842
NEW VIDEO: Convenient Conservative.@CollinsforGA wasn't with @realDonaldTrump until a Senate seat opened up. #GASen #gapol

11:55 AM - Feb 27, 2020

This ad was basically, "He is friends with black Democrats, shame on him!"

Just dogwhistling among the infighting

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

Sam Stein @samstein

This NRSC ad is….. not subtle. Doug Collins is friends with black Democrats!! https://twitter.com/NRSC/status/1233073288458403842 …

NEW VIDEO: Convenient Conservative.@CollinsforGA wasn't with @realDonaldTrump until a Senate seat opened up. #GASen #gapol

Collins practically lived in Trump's ass, but pop off, Sisses.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think these polls from CNN are new and ... wow, that Texas swing. Sanders alone above threshold in California.

"In Texas, Sanders holds 29% support among likely primary voters, former Vice President Joe Biden has 20%, former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg stands at 18% and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren is at 15%. No other candidate reaches double-digits. Sanders (+14) and Bloomberg (+13) have posted the largest gains since a December CNN poll, while Biden has slipped 15 points. Warren has held roughly even. "

"The California results suggest the same four contenders hold the most support, though Sanders stands well ahead of the three contending for second place. Sanders holds 35% support, Warren is at 14%, Biden is at 13% and Bloomberg is at 12%. Sanders' support in the state has climbed 15 points since December, while Biden's has slid eight points. Bloomberg has gained seven. "

www.cnn.com

CNN polls: Bernie Sanders holds big leads in California and Texas ahead of critical Super Tuesday vote

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders holds substantial leads in the two largest states to vote in next week's Super Tuesday lineup of primaries, according to new CNN polls conducted by SSRS in California and Texas.

edit: formatted

#New CNN/SSRS poll California:
Sanders 35%
Warren 14%
Biden 13%
Bloomberg 12%
Buttigieg 7%
Klobuchar 6%

Texas:
Sanders 29%
Biden 20%
Bloomberg 18%
Warren 15%
Buttigieg 8%
Klobuchar 3%

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie pulling away in TX and CA means he'll have a ST that goes from good to great. My family voted in both primaries (mom: TX, kids: CA) so it's cool we get to have immediate impact.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
To jump off of this, I was just reading this article at the Atlantic: The Problem With Telling Sick Workers to Stay Home

It's weird, but it's almost like Bernie is being set up to win this election. This issue is going to a) push the economy toward recession and b) be the perfect "our health care is fucked up, I can fix it so that you don't die from pandemics because your BILLIONAIRE BOSS made you come in to work for your crappy nine-dollar-an-hour job."

I mean, Trump fucking this shit up and killing a half-million people because his government's response was poor, combined with sick people being too poor to skip work and stay home, is basically putting things on a tee for Bernie.
Didn't the Dust Bowl help create the political will for the New Deal? This does feel somewhat similar in that conservative ideology is utterly failing to respond in any way to a crisis, and reality is now making a dramatically clear case for collective action.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
So what's the calculus for Bernie's VT senate seat? What happens?

Is he going to resign as soon as he has the nomination?
Sanders has to resign his seat before August, I believe, in order to trigger a special election. If he doesn't then the Republican Governor gets to pick a replacement. No polling regarding what would happen after. It would be a near-guaranteed Dem seat, especially if Sanders was the nominee, which he would be at that point.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
Only a few select cashier jobs have the luxury of more than a couple days of PDO time, even fewer (generally union) have allowance for sick time. March is going to suck in retail.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
1. i brought up their friendliness on the debates and the VP shortlist because I see them as tangible points worth acknowledging as part of this nomination process, because they're parts of this campaign and so provide insight into both of their campaigns. i don't disagree that they're friends in the senate. i just think their campaigns say much more about their primary plans.

You didn't say that though. You said: "most people's opinion about the Sanders+Warren relationship stems from their skin-deep friendly attitude towards each other on the early debate stage and that report that Sanders was considering the possibility of Warren as VP+Treasury. It's not actually much to base an assumption on." Except most people aren't basing their assumptions of Bernie and Warren's relationship based on being chummy with each other at debates or running mate rumors, they're basing that assumption on the widely known fact that they have been genuine friends for many years.

2. Sure, she and her superpac aren't going to target tennessee and arkansas, but she's ~15% in probably what... 8, 9 states? all 14 might not make sense, but just 3 is crazy, especially when the superpac has so much money to throw around. biden's pac knows a little money can go a long way. it's stunning that warren's isn't even doing that much. i really think this is an important point.

obviously i have no special insight into why Persist PAC is spending its money in whichever states it chooses. My amateur opinion is that they're concentrating on MA, CA, and TX because they're some of Warren's best chances at viability and they're also very expensive, so shoring up her support there is going to suck money out of whatever would go into Virginia or Colorado or wherever else. Maybe I'm wrong on this. I don't think it's part of a conspiracy to elevate Biden, I think they simply have different ST targets because they are stronger in different states; I don't think this an attempted Kasich/Cruz-esque runaround on Bernie.

3. the debate is just a visible example of what a candidate is trying to do. and yes, candidates absolutely use debates to showcase their pivots. debates leave lasting impressions. sure, it could be less important than i'm guessing, but it's not -nothing-. it's still something. 2016 is a good example, because the republicans actually did start dropping out once they saw their chances reach levels of warren's -- mostly after losing big contests, of course. like super tuesday should be for warren/buttigieg/klob/steyer.

this is stating the obvious, but running for president is extremely hard work. It's hard on the candidate, it's hard on the staffers, it's hard on the volunteers. It's hard when you're winning. It's hard when you're running in the middle of the pack. It's really hard when you're losing. Nobody puts themselves through this because their real goal is to lay the groundwork for pivoting to someone else; everyone in it is in it because they want to be, and think they can be, president regardless of what the numbers actually say is possible. When has a candidate ever gone into a presidential primary debate, not to make a case for themselves, but to implicitly make a case for someone else? That doesn't happen. If a candidate wants to support someone else, they drop out and endorse that person.

i jsut don't see warren being one of those people to say "full steam ahead" with as much as we know about the upcoming states. maybe warren does believe she just needs to survive super tuesday and then she can push to be a top choice at a contested convention even without more delegates than sanders and biden. that just seems like such a disaster in waiting, though. but maybe i've given warren too much credit?
Well this is a different argument right? Because I agree that if Warren gets blown out on Super Tuesday she should drop out, and probably will. But that's different from saying Warren's Super Tuesday strategy and debate strategies have been aimed at boosting Biden because she'd actually prefer Biden to be president over Bernie. Which is what you have been saying, and what I and others disagreed with, because it's so clearly a major break from everything we know about Elizabeth Warren's years-long personal relationships with both men but also the ideological and policy visions she shares (or doesn't share) with both men.

Let me put it like this: if we go to a contested convention where Bernie and Biden have the most delegates, but neither has a majority, and Warren has the clout somehow to push either one of them over the finish line, I sincerely believe she would push Bernie into the nomination over Biden.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sanders has to resign his seat before August, I believe, in order to trigger a special election. If he doesn't then the Republican Governor gets to pick a replacement. No polling regarding what would happen after. It would be a near-guaranteed Dem seat, especially if Sanders was the nominee, which he would be at that point.
Hopefully Bernie can push for a Dem governor for VT at that point.

It's kind of a shame he didn't use his political capital in 2018 but we can try again this year!

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
Someone posted a few days ago a tracking thing that shows the early voting amount in texas. Anyone have the link? I remember the biggest turn out so far were counties on the boarder down here.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
ngl if Bernie is the only one who regularly beats viability thresholds in California (and thus wins most-to-all of their delegates) I'll kind of hate that everyone who unironically shared that stupid "when you're down by 400 and the media says it's over but California is worth 500!!!!!" meme four years ago will feel vindicated

So what's the calculus for Bernie's VT senate seat? What happens?

Is he going to resign as soon as he has the nomination?
Bernie resigning to clear the way for a special election to coincide with the general election (which would almost assuredly result in Democrats flipping the seat) would probably be the cleanest, but if nothing else Democrats have vetoproof majorities in Vermont and can change the rules so Scott can't appoint an R replacement, if need be.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
ngl if Bernie is the only one who regularly beats viability thresholds in California (and thus wins most-to-all of their delegates) I'll kind of hate that everyone who unironically shared that stupid "when you're down by 400 and the media says it's over but California is worth 500!!!!!" meme four years ago will feel vindicated

If it is the case then he can lock up the nom with a total win in California. It would be ironic and just 4 years afterwords. Winning Cali with no one else being viable basically means his lead won't be able to be caught.

Alcander

Oct 29, 2017
I really don't get Bloom's strategy here. If he truly wanted to stop Bernie, it seems like him getting in the race worked against that goal. His #s + Biden's would beat Bernie in many of these early states, but instead it seems like they are splitting that vote bloc. Maybe I'm reading the polls wrong, but seems like a poor strategy!

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
From the Univision poll on Latino support
pXwrojv.png

Someone posted a few days ago a tracking thing that shows the early voting amount in texas. Anyone have the link? I remember the biggest turn out so far were counties on the boarder down here.
https://apps.texastribune.org/features/2020/texas-early-voting-tracker-2020-primaries/

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't something minor. This is a massive worldwide supply shock.

This is why I don't get people saying that this is a nothing burger. Even if we found a cure tomorrow (we won't), there's already been a considerable amount of distribution in our supply chain.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I really don't get Bloom's strategy here. If he truly wanted to stop Bernie, it seems like him getting in the race worked against that goal. His #s + Biden's would beat Bernie in many of these early states, but instead it seems like they are splitting that vote bloc. Maybe I'm reading the polls wrong, but seems like a poor strategy!

I'm assuming Bloomberg was hoping for Biden to underperform in SC, run out of money, and drop out.

That may not be the case if Biden has a strong showing in SC though.

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't the Dust Bowl help create the political will for the New Deal? This does feel somewhat similar in that conservative ideology is utterly failing to respond in any way to a crisis, and reality is now making a dramatically clear case for collective action.

That's a good way to think of it historically. The Republican Party fucked up the response to the Depression/Dust Bowl, and that's the point at which the New Deal becomes viable.

Unfortunately, this is another point of evidence for people who argue in favor of accelerationism to advance leftist ideals, which of course I'm not comfortable with because it always involves a lot of people dying, and most of those people are poor.

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago

Sam Stein @samstein

This is like one size fits all as for many R's

TorianElecdra

Feb 25, 2020
I fear that you are right. What is frustrating to me is that he is not even wrong but he is going against a tide of a century of red scare and cold war propaganda that absolutely demonizes revolutionary movements. Cuba suffers more from the US than from its government, which while flawed was an improvement over Batista. He is right to say it but so many people shut down when they hear anything that goes against the narrative about America as the hero and leftism as the enemy.

Bernie needs to chose his battles. That was incredible stupid to say even if he's correct. It was bad for him to not recant the comments and to get defensive about them, even when he's 100% correct.

Not surprised at Bloomberg's numbers. I would assume Texas latines tend to be more white / wealthy / conservative since many of them come from the northern Mexican states, which are historically whiter/more conversative.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
All I can say is if Bernie gets the nomination, young people better actually vote this time.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Re: superdelegates giving the nomination to someone other than Bernie at the convention... does anyone else think they'd be too gutless to really do it? It's one thing to tell the NY Times how you'll be the badass guardians of the party who will decide what's best for everyone. But when was the last time they ever did anything like that? I'm reminded of how Donna Brazile bragged in her book about how, after Hillary's 9/11 pneumonia episode, she begun plotting pulling her and Kaine from the ticket and replacing them with Biden and Booker. Putting aside how I don't know how the acting chair of the DNC even has that kind of power, she never did anything like that! It was a power trip fantasy that she kept in her head.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
This is why I don't get people saying that this is a nothing burger. Even if we found a cure tomorrow (we won't), there's already been a considerable amount of distribution in our supply chain.
It's not a nothingburger. More companies will miss earnings this quarter and lower guidance slightly. I think the supply chain issue will be temporary though. Tim Cook said today or yesterday their production in China is almost back to normal. If the virus is seasonal the new cases and deaths numbers trends will improve and the media frenzy will subside as people get back to normal life. Even if you assume it's everywhere, what are you going to do, never leave the house again? You have to get on with your life and work at some point. Treatments will become more effective, vaccines will be made.

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
I think these polls from CNN are new and ... wow, that Texas swing. Sanders alone above threshold in California.

"In Texas, Sanders holds 29% support among likely primary voters, former Vice President Joe Biden has 20%, former New York Mayor Michael Bloomberg stands at 18% and Massachusetts Sen. Elizabeth Warren is at 15%. No other candidate reaches double-digits. Sanders (+14) and Bloomberg (+13) have posted the largest gains since a December CNN poll, while Biden has slipped 15 points. Warren has held roughly even. "

"The California results suggest the same four contenders hold the most support, though Sanders stands well ahead of the three contending for second place. Sanders holds 35% support, Warren is at 14%, Biden is at 13% and Bloomberg is at 12%. Sanders' support in the state has climbed 15 points since December, while Biden's has slid eight points. Bloomberg has gained seven. "

www.cnn.com

CNN polls: Bernie Sanders holds big leads in California and Texas ahead of critical Super Tuesday vote

Vermont Sen. Bernie Sanders holds substantial leads in the two largest states to vote in next week's Super Tuesday lineup of primaries, according to new CNN polls conducted by SSRS in California and Texas.

edit: formatted

Given how slowly CA counts, if you have candidates close enough to the threshold there could theoretically be a wide range of delegate scenarios in play for a while.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
That's a good way to think of it historically. The Republican Party fucked up the response to the Depression/Dust Bowl, and that's the point at which the New Deal becomes viable.

Unfortunately, this is another point of evidence for people who argue in favor of accelerationism to advance leftist ideals, which of course I'm not comfortable with because it always involves a lot of people dying, and most of those people are poor.
I think it's possible to see the Dust Bowl+Depression as paving the way for the New Deal without being an accelerationist, but merely a realist. Failure leading to punishment at the polls is a sign the system works.

(I will concede this is somewhat arbitrary, as I doubt any president, conservative or liberal, could survive the one-two punch of disruptive, deadly viral outbreak + recession in an election year — we just got lucky* that it hit Trump and not Hillary or any other democratic president.)

*not that we're not on the hellish timeline or anything

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Honestly, I don't know. I thought it was to be a spoiler to keep the race close and be kingmaker. But after watching the debates, I think he's delusional enough to not see that he's handing the nomination to Bernie.

Nonetheless, it's maddening. I almost wish it was possible for Bernie to tax the fuck out of him for this level of stupidity.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
It's not a nothingburger. More companies will miss earnings this quarter and lower guidance slightly. I think the supply chain issue will be temporary though. Tim Cook said today or yesterday their production in China is almost back to normal. If the virus is seasonal the new cases and deaths numbers trends will improve and the media frenzy will subside as people get back to normal life. Even if you assume it's everywhere, what are you going to do, never leave the house again? You have to get on with your life and work at some point. Treatments will become more effective, vaccines will be made.

The problem is that this is based off the hope that it's a seasonal virus, but we don't know if actually is yet.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Really interesting and odd Texas general election matchup poll from CNN. SSRS is A/B on 538.

#Texas CNN/SSRS, General Election Poll:
Biden 48 (+1) Trump 47
Trump 47 Warren 47
Trump 47 (+1) Bloomberg 46
Trump 48 (+1) Buttigieg 47
Trump 48 (+2) Sanders 46
Trump 48 (+3) Klobuchar 45

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I think it's possible to see the Dust Bowl+Depression as paving the way for the New Deal without being an accelerationist, but merely a realist. Failure leading to punishment at the polls is a sign the system works.

(I will concede this is somewhat arbitrary, as I doubt any president, conservative or liberal, could survive the one-two punch of disruptive, deadly viral outbreak + recession in an election year — we just got lucky* that it hit Trump and not Hillary or any other democratic president.)

The problem with accelerationism is that the suffering is pointless.

Any benefits we get from electing a Democratic president + Senate this year as a result of Trump ruining everything for four years could have been just as easily accomplished four years ago if Clinton was elected alongside a D Congress. We also wouldn't have to deal with the fallout of irreversible damage caused by e.g. Trump being allowed to replace Scalia and Kennedy with arch-conservatives. (not that Scalia and Kennedy weren't, and Kennedy wouldn't have retired under Clinton, but we'd have a 5-4 liberal court right now)

We could have done this the whole time! People just had to actually care and vote.

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Also notable that, despite the handwringing, there's definitely a scenario in play where Warren staying in the race leads to a significant gain in delegates for Sanders by keeping other candidates under the threshold in CA.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
I'm worried that places that are particularly high in particulate pollution in the US have the potential to see higher fatality rates. Think Chester, Pa., or the Navajo Nation.

Not that anyone seems to care about poor communities. Perhaps I'm a little chuffed at the amorality of most of the stock threads.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
In terms of economic disruption and political reaction, a lot depends on how disruptive school and business closings are, what the fallout for tourism, airlines, movies, restaurants etc. is, and the extent to which this overloads the capacity for hospitals and ICUs to treat severe symptoms (and anyone else who needs care for anything unrelated) — all of which is very up in the air at the moment.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Also notable that, despite the handwringing, there's definitely a scenario in play where Warren staying in the race leads to a significant gain in delegates for Sanders by keeping other candidates under the threshold in CA.
Anyone who isn't mentally tracking Sanders and Warren's delegate totals together when talking about the possibility of a contested convention is fooling themselves. Warren racking up a decent delegate haul before she drops out is Sanders' "break glass in case of delegate plurality."

If Warren dropped out before California, her supporters don't all hop onto the Sanders bandwagon, some of them would go to Biden. A situation where Sanders has to share the California delegates with Warren is vastly preferable to one where he shares them with Biden.

Oct 25, 2017

Oh, I agree wholeheartedly with the lesson that should be taken from that example (parties get punished for their incompetence at the polls). I just worry that the accelerationists will take such a lesson from Coronavirus causing the same sort of leftward policy to come to fruition. I don't need the 2028 election to be the Dems running a moderate and part of the base taking that election off to let the R, who will surely be Trump+, win so that the system can fail again and we can move leftward out of the ashes.

I can't get hyped by that Texas poll. But...damn.

What can we do to the TX State Senate and House with a +1 to -2 finish for the Democratic nominee there?

I want Trump to be forced to do rallies in McAllen and Denton and Irving in October.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Anyone who isn't mentally tracking Sanders and Warren's delegate totals together when talking about the possibility of a contested convention is fooling themselves. Warren racking up a decent delegate haul before she drops out is Sanders' "break glass in case of delegate plurality."

If Warren dropped out before California, her supporters don't all hop onto the Sanders bandwagon, some of them would go to Biden. A situation where Sanders has to share the California delegates with Warren is vastly preferable to one where he shares them with Biden.

But you have to understand - she's a snake who won't bend the knee. So, obviously she's going to endorse Biden.

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg is polling too damn well.

Bernie needs to win and become the nominee quickly so I can retire the hellish scenario of Bloomberg as nominee permanently.

I voted for Warren in NC but I hope Bernie wins ST decisively and ends this.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg is polling too damn well.

Bernie needs to win and become the nominee quickly so I can retire the hellish scenario of Bloomberg as nominee permanently.

I voted for Warren in NC but I hope Bernie wins ST decisively and ends this.

Only those who have stayed informed know the dirt on Bloomberg

Otherwise the regular oblivious populance is being absolutely flooded with ads on the interenet, mail, tv... you name it!

You would think Bloomberg is the best candidate alive based on this media blitz

Status
Not open for further replies.