• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pixieking

Oct 25, 2017
The whole "Is Warren lying" thing is exactly why so few outlets call what Trump says "lying". Because that word has specific connotations of intent, as opposed to "untruth", "ignorance" or "naivete", all of which give the speaker leeway, whether we want that leeway or not.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
There was a poster here who said it was an innocent mistake.

You said "people". Also, the discussion has long moved on from that poster -- we're now several pages in to this discussion, and no one has claimed it's an innocent mistake, and we are talking about if she lied. No one you have replied to recently has said it was an "innocent mistake".

The whole "Is Warren lying" thing is exactly why so few outlets call what Trump says "lying". Because that word has specific connotations of intent, as opposed to "untruth", "ignorance" or "naivete", all of which give the speaker leeway, whether we want that leeway or not.
Yes, exactly. There are much better words to use here.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
If 200 Jewish people came out tomorrow and said they thought t was hurtful that Bernie Sanders continues to support terrorists who send rockets into Israel, would you say that Bernie needs to think about that?

Again, the actual leadership of the Cherokee Nation responded positively to what Warren has done. There's enough people in America that you can find a group of 200 of any group to be upset at a politician over something.

A ton of Cubans were hurt by Bernie's comments about Castro. Is he disqualified now or do a group of them need to write a letter first?

These are not very good or sensitive comparisons at all.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Okay, so, I'm not trying to shit on that DFP poll, and I might be reading this wrong....

But their weighted demos have the electorate as:

White: 49.15%
Black: 36.65%

If I'm not wrong, and i could be reading this wrong...that's....not even close.

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, so, I'm not trying to shit on that DFP poll, and I might be reading this wrong....

Yeah I saw that and my first question was....where did the other 14% go?

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
The double standards on display are staggering.

And I defended Bernie on his comments. Because context and intent matters.

I'm sorry but a disagreement about the Cuban Revolution or the Israeli Palestinian conflict is not the same as disagreement about who can identify as a member of the Cherokee Nation. There is no debate about the latter.

You die a hero or live long enough to see yourself embarassingly mispoll I guess.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If 200 Jewish people came out tomorrow and said they thought t was hurtful that Bernie Sanders continues to support terrorists who send rockets into Israel, would you say that Bernie needs to think about that?

Again, the actual leadership of the Cherokee Nation responded positively to what Warren has done. There's enough people in America that you can find a group of 200 of any group to be upset at a politician over something.
Bernie never pretended to be Jewish and this is really dismissive, oh anyone can be offended about anything. If a white Senator running for President claimed to be black their entire life and released a DNA test to prove it despite never being in a black community in their life, we wouldn't let it off the hook. Native Americans should have the same respect paid to them.

A ton of Cubans were hurt by Bernie's comments about Castro. Is he disqualified now or do a group of them need to write a letter first?
As before, let me know when Bernie pretends to be Cuban for his entire life, talking about the literacy program of a country while condemning an authoritarian leader vs pretending to be from that community is not the same and is dismissive of the actual harm that Elizabeth Warren caused.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
As before, let me know when Bernie pretends to be Cuban for his entire life, talking about the literacy program of a country while condemning an authoritarian leader vs pretending to be from that community is not the same and is dismissive of the actual harm that Elizabeth Warren caused.
Oh OK cool, I'll go let the Cuban-Americans know that their pain isn't real, that it's not "actual harm," because Boss decided it was invalid. They'll be so relieved

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie never pretended to be Jewish and this is really dismissive, oh anyone can be offended about anything. If a white Senator running for President claimed to be black their entire life and released a DNA test to prove it despite never being in a black community in their life, we wouldn't let it off the hook. Native Americans should have the same respect paid to them.

I mean, Bernie's comments still caused harm.

Like it or not.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, white people do racist shit all the time. But some of them fucking try to address it. Just like dudes do sexist shit all the time, but some are actually trying, or straight people do homophobic shit, but some try to be better, etc.

I'm not going to tell anyone who is Cherokee how to feel about it, but in general, Warren is trying to address her racism here and not to be racist in the future. If I cursed everyone who did something thoughtlessly bigoted, much less racist, to being a clearly lying shitbrick, I'd never talk to anyone ever.

That Boss is using Warren's thoughtless bigotry as a cudgel to beat everyone reading over the head with "WHY IS SHE SUCH A HATEFUL LIAR JUST LIKE SHE LIED ABOUT BERNIE" is the real disgusting thing here. Using the real pain of some Cherokee people to score political points is a real punk move.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Like, I want to be clear, I'm not disputing their numbers or whatever. I just...don't know how you get an electorate that looks like that in South Carolina.

Like in their NV poll, they had the electorate at :

62% White
15% Hispanic
23% Other Races

the actual result was

65% White
17% Hispanic
18% Other Races

So that was good. But....how would you get an electorate that white in SC?

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
Just cut the crap and admit that you prefer Bernie while daring to be surprised that people support Warren (warts and all). Don't try to hide behind this and pretend otherwise. Especially just using to attack someone you don't like while praising someone you do like.

It just makes you an asshole and I don't like assholes.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, white people do racist shit all the time. But some of them fucking try to address it. Just like dudes do sexist shit all the time, but some are actually trying, or straight people do homophobic shit, but some try to be better, etc.

I'm not going to tell anyone who is Cherokee how to feel about it, but in general, Warren is trying to address her racism here and not to be racist in the future. If I cursed everyone who did something thoughtlessly bigoted, much less racist, to being a clearly lying shitbrick, I'd never talk to anyone ever.

That Boss is using Warren's thoughtless bigotry as a cudgel to beat everyone reading over the head with "WHY IS SHE SUCH A HATEFUL LIAR JUST LIKE SHE LIED ABUT BERNIE" is the real disgusting thing here. Using the real pain of some Cherokee people to score political points is a real punk move.
This.

I used to sing along to rap songs. N word and all. Needless to say I feel terrible for having done that and no longer do it.

Using this logic I'm a mouthbreathing KKK supporter! Should I call out fellow whites for doing that? Yes, do more because we need to do better.

Chasing your allies off by purity testing them is not the answer.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
Like, I want to be clear, I'm not disputing their numbers or whatever. I just...don't know how you get an electorate that looks like that in South Carolina.

Like in their NV poll, they had the electorate at :

62% White
15% Hispanic
23% Other Races

the actual result was

65% White
17% Hispanic
18% Other Races

So that was good. But....how would you get an electorate that white in SC?

Are they expecting tons of South Carolina Republicans to try and Pied Piper Bernie or something?

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That Boss is using Warren's thoughtless bigotry as a cudgel to beat everyone reading over the head with "WHY IS SHE SUCH A HATEFUL LIAR JUST LIKE SHE LIED ABUT BERNIE" is the real disgusting thing here. Using the real pain of some Cherokee people to score political points is a real punk move.
Again this whole thing started by me saying this not a political game, that real people are hurt by this. I agree with you entirely, Elizabeth Warren caused a lot of pain to a community that is no stranger to being stepped on and ignored. People are responding to me calling it things like an innocent mistake, and trying to equate everything, and the whataboutism, and the debate over whether someone really lied for 40 years. I'm trying to point out that actual people are still hurt by what she's done and we need to be a lot better.

Quzar

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
User Banned (3 Days): Inflammatory Point of Comparison
I think Rachel Dolezal is the perfect VP pick for Warren tbh, they share a lot of values.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Likening Warren's actions to Sanders's statement about a literacy program is not a sensible comparison. Please don't do that.

Oct 25, 2017
Again this whole thing started by me saying this not a political game, that real people are hurt by this. I agree with you entirely, Elizabeth Warren caused a lot of pain to a community that is no stranger to being stepped on and ignored. People are responding to me calling it things like an innocent mistake, and trying to equate everything, and the whataboutism, and the debate over whether someone really lied for 40 years. I'm trying to point out that actual people are still hurt by what she's done and we need to be a lot better.

You say this, but you ignore Bernie causing pain to Cubans. You're dishonest.

Bernie's said enough that, based on your standards, it's disqualifying. Comparing poor white folks in Vermont to black folks living under apartheid is absurd and offensive. Pretending that gun violence is an urban issue - and yeah, we all know what the use of that word means in that context - is absurd and offensive, too. Stuff like that pisses me off and it's pissed off black folks that I know. I don't see Bernie out here scrambling to write letters to apologize.

Somehow, you seem to look right past that, though, huh?

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This.

I used to sing along to rap songs. N word and all. Needless to say I feel terrible for having done that and no longer do it.

Using this logic I'm a mouthbreathing KKK supporter! Should I call out fellow whites for doing that? Yes, do more because we need to do better.

Chasing your allies off by purity testing them is not the answer.
Again, I don't think you can equate being a KKK member, or claiming to be black or trying to fool people into thinking you're black, with being ignorant about rhe N word and rapping it in a song. It's wrong, no white person should say the N word under any circumstance, but there are levels to bad things and being in the KKK is a different level, and claiming to be black when you're not would also be another level.

And again, I'm not chasing anybody off I just don't think someone who tried to release a DNA test claiming they're Native American when they're not and caused a lot of harm to the Native American community should be president.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
okay. some people disliked a series of fair and accurate comments about Cuba. other people liked them. how is that remotely comparable to lying about your heritage?
Woah, woah, woah.
One doesn't get to decide comments are "fair and accurate" and that's the sole basis for them not causing harm. A lot of folks who escaped Castro were harmed by his revolution, and Bernie saying "Ya well he had good reading programs" DEFINITELY could cause harm and upset.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
okay. some people disliked a series of fair and accurate comments about Cuba. other people liked them. how is that remotely comparable to lying about your heritage?
Because lying implies they knew.

I actually do have Cherokee in my family. And while I didn't ever claim it on forms I understand the ignorance and naivete involved.

Warren is not some big scary evil woman who wants to hurt Native Americans.

Tukarrs

Oct 27, 2017
I think Warren is an extremely qualified candidate, but having a good head and good policies isn't enough. I think that a President needs to be more of an ideological and moral guiding post. Plans are done by heads of agencies and staffers. I don't think that a hypothetical cabinet of a Sanders and a Warren administration would be that different.

In this case, I think that Sanders is a better candidate just because he's willing to stake out the moral positions unequivocally. This is what's needed to eventually move the needle to what's possible. There might not be votes now but with a firm stance and messaging to the populace, it'll eventually come about.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Again, I don't think you can equate being a KKK member, or claiming to be black or trying to fool people into thinking you're black, with being ignorant about rhe N word and rapping it in a song. It's wrong, no white person should say the N word under any circumstance, but there are levels to bad things and being in the KKK is a different level, and claiming to be black when you're not would also be another level.

And again, I'm not chasing anybody off I just don't think someone who tried to release a DNA test claiming they're Native American when they're not and caused a lot of harm to the Native American community should be president.

She didn't know that!

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
One doesn't get to decide comments are "fair and accurate" and that's the sole basis for them not causing harm
if people don't like hearing things that are true, I'm sorry about that but we're really stretching the definition of "causing harm" to a ridiculous extent here
A lot of folks who escaped Castro were harmed by his revolution, and Bernie saying "Ya well he had good reading programs" DEFINITELY could cause harm and upset
some Cubans supported and continued to support the revolution. others didn't and obviously many of those people won't like it when people praise any element of that government. but the idea that expressing a perfectly reasonable opinion about Cuba is somehow ~causing real harm~ in a way that is comparable to faking your heritage is just ridiculous
Warren is not some big scary evil woman who wants to hurt Native Americans.
okay, i'm not sure that people are arguing that she is, only that she absolutely has a record, over many years, of stretching the truth in a pretty unsavory way

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
"Cuba, despite it being ruled by authoritarism and having significant problems, did successful literacy brigades" is a political opinion

"Im pretending to be a native american woman" is not an opinion

You can think she did not do it with bad intentions but the comparison with Bernie talking about a complex issue like Cuba is absurd

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Nobody is denying it caused harm, even the poster who you were getting on for saying "innocent" also qualified it with "shitty". Nobody would even deny that was a massive mistake. The common sentiment around here about that at the time was that it was a self nuke. What we're trying to say is she did not do it with malicious intent to deceive, but rather stupid ignorance.

Status
Not open for further replies.