• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain

Too much focus on the *superdelegates* and too little on the people who are *regular* (pledged) delegates. They're also free agents, technically even on the first ballot (the pledge isn't legally binding) but certainly as a matter of practice on the 2nd and subsequent ballots.

Nate Silver agrees that delegates are not bound on the first ballot.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
With volatility continuing to increase, I doubt the general public will be wanting to be making that bet on "buying the dip" as this situation unfolds.

Allard

Oct 25, 2017
Dems are stupid if they don't make the whole CDC/Corona fiasco a major talking point

Not just stupid, irresponsible. Trump is going minister of truth on something that absolutely NEEDs full transparency no matter the detrimental effect on the economy. Candidates need to make it clear this isn't normal, and its dangerous and dare anyone to say differently.

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This cononavirus/stock market combo is actually not being looked at deep enough.

This isn't just another "whoops week". This good be a lasting wound, and can be compounded by
1. Terrible leadership
2.China and it's economic bomb waiting to go off
3. Brexit

If all three combine...

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
This administration is pretty much exactly the same as the last Republican administration on steroids.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Not just stupid, irresponsible. Trump is going minister of truth on something that absolutely NEEDs full transparency no matter the detrimental effect on the economy. Candidates need to make it clear this isn't normal, and its dangerous and dare anyone to say differently.
Dems also need to make the case that under M4A everyone can get tested and get vaccinated, while under Trump only those who can afford it can get it.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
It's really weird speculation given the two of them are pretty aligned Policy wise and they have gotten along famously, historically. For you to say that is just random.
Hm? How is it weird? If anything it's a weird assumption to take for granted that Warren would shift to Sanders support. Sanders and Warren haven't been on the same page since her accusation about Sanders' alleged sexist comment.

I made this point several days ago that apparently made quite a few people angry, but we've entered a part of the race where only three people have realistic chances at winning the presidency -- Sanders, Biden, and Bloomberg. The candidates know this better than voters. As such, this is the time of the election when the remaining candidates "circle the wagons" so to speak. Buttigieg made his surrogacy for Biden obvious this past debate, but it's also clear from his campaign goals.

Warren, if she was planning to shift into being a Sanders surrogate, would be making similar moves -- tho not as unsubtle or amatuer as Buttigieg's. Instead, Warren attacked Sanders as much as any other candidate this past debate. She didn't target Biden meaningfully otherwise.

Yeah, I just don't see it anymore. At best, I can see Warren choosing not to endorse. But again, I'd love to be wrong.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
How quickly we forget that Bill Clinton was the first black president, not more than half a year since Toni Morrison died.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017

NEW: Fox News poll shows
Sanders 31% (+8)
Biden 18% (-8)
Bloomberg 16% (+6)
Buttigieg 12% (+5)
Warren 10% (-4)
Klobuchar 5% (+2)
Feb. 23-26, 2020 MOE ± 4%

Out of the large, diverse group of canditates we had at the start of this cycle, Dems really decided to just choose between the 3 oldest white men. Lol

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Syria and Turkey popping off really put the cherry on top of this shit week.

Last edited:

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

MJ Lee on Twitter

“NEW: Michael Bloomberg’s campaign has shared previously undisclosed test results on Bloomberg’s heart, including his left ventricular ejection fraction #. It’s a key data point on heart health. Bloomberg is now calling on Bernie Sanders to do the same. https://t.co/8lsNOQsjrz”

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
This cononavirus/stock market combo is actually not being looked at deep enough.

This isn't just another "whoops week". This good be a lasting wound, and can be compounded by
1. Terrible leadership
2.China and it's economic bomb waiting to go off
3. Brexit

If all three combine...
I think Brexit is mostly priced in at this point. It's going to suck for the UK, but it seems likely to be a minor blip for everybody else.

China is a much longer-term issue. The market is really good at ignoring stuff where the immediate ramifications can't really be seen.

Warren is the best candidate and America's sexism is letting her slip away.
She didn't slip away. She got booted off the stage.

She done.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Remember only 10% of Twitter users are actively posting about politics in the US. We're listening to an extremely loud minority of people on platforms like that.

I look at Soul Skater's post about how this primary is a disaster and it's annoying everybody, and juxtapose that with a text I got from a relative the other day asking for articles that would explain the candidates for her. I know we say this in the abstract a lot but I think it's hard for people who discuss this shit on a daily basis to really appreciate just how uninformed and inattentive so many voters are right now.

Agreed.

I do wonder if 2016 was actually more her year. Would have at least been interesting.
Yep. She would've still lost against Hillary but she'd be the frontrunner now.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone have a link or an image of that hypothetical doom and gloom NY Times cover they did back in 2016 about how we would look four years into the Trump presidency? Been trying to find it and google is failing me.

Oct 26, 2017
*Biden picks Kamala Harris for his VP.

Big brained Twitter individual: "OMG she sucks! No charisma Copmala!"

*Bernie picks Kamala Harris for VP.

Galaxy brained individual: "Wow such an intellectual pick that covers Bernie's various weaknesses! I always knew she was VP material!"

I laughed. I laughed because it's true.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Research able to specifically find just how much sexism drags down approval of female politicians via a specific survey question. It's not pretty.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
giphy.gif

But actually I think I'm mostly just gonna stick to Discord and lurking here as opposed to being a super regular poster.

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
Considering the takes after the election that's not really a surprise. I could have told you that'd be the likely outcome a day after the election.
One, sure, (Biden) I could see leading early on. Two, maybe. But 3!? Bloomberg parachutes in after missing like 6 debates and quickly glides past two highly qualified women senators to 3rd place, below the two other septuagenarians. I underestimated just how much people really wanted a strong white daddy.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
And that sexism will never ever really go away, especially against the women politicians known for their fierceness.

The biggest concern I have at this point is how Florida Man will inevitably lash out looking for someone to blame. We already seeing problems with people avoiding or accosting people from China or Asian descent in places around the world. I am hoping democratic contenders and supporters are ready to protect and redirect the blame back at Florida Man, they are going to need the protection because for most if not all it won't be any of their fault and are as much if not more victims of this virus. This attack is going to becoming so we best prepare for the counter now.

^^^^^

It's exactly like you say, INEVITABLE. The finger-pointing will go from a reaction to a plan.

I...

Don't even know how to respond. Speechless.

Provokatsiya? Check.

Flattery during a time of his fuckups? Check.

Magical Thinking in the face of reality? Check.

Shitting on a venerable month? Check.

Distraction? Check.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
Dems are stupid if they don't make the whole CDC/Corona fiasco a major talking point
Totally agree.

Also instead of just pointing fingers they should take the opp to help people understand how they will make them safer. It's the same thing with border security. Dems ONLY focus on the welfare of refugees (important, yes) and cede the security argument to the GOP. We can and should do both. Dems would make the nation safer, it's time to start talking about it.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
wb

so is the narrative now that after searching high and low for a moderate candidate that is actually inspiring, the non-berners are coming back to Biden and thinking, "eh, it could be worse"?

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
My issue with coronavirus tepeitjf
Economist you're so dreamy. Neoliberals have both the dominant mindshare among the electorate and no real choice in the race.

R5bubtm.jpg
i mean we only had Hillary as a choice just recently and neoliberals couldn't get off their ass to rally around her

the problem is this actually is just a big sexist swamp

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney
It was probably not helpful for any woman running in 2020 that the first female nominee had a shock loss four years earlier.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I think Warren's only shot was to be the only one in the Goldilocks lane like 2 months ago... with this crowded of a field sexism is way too much of a factor to overcome

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
But actually I think I'm mostly just gonna stick to Discord and lurking here as opposed to being a super regular poster.
That's a loss to our community, but I really can't blame you.

California is up to 33 confirmed cases and 8400 under observation.
And less than 500 kits to test people.

But you should note that most of the cases are repatriates at this point (they were infected outside the country and brought back under quarantine—and then the people HHS had to process them, without protection or training, were allowed to just freely run around the state and even leave it).

Where are you finding this out at? (I live in California.)
The governor.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Where are you finding this out at? (I live in California.)
Source, heard this from a co-worker today who is prone to conspiracy theories so I didn't pay it much mind.
>

California Gov. Gavin Newsom said Thursday that 33 people have tested positive for COVID-19 and the state is currently monitoring at least 8,400 others —a day after U.S. health officials confirmed the first possible community transmission of the coronavirus in a Solano County resident.
"This is a fluid situation right now and I want to emphaize the risk to the American public remains low," said Dr. Sonia Y. Angell, California Department of Public Health Director and State Health Officer during a press conference. "There have been a limited number of confirmed cases to date."
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention doesn't know exactly how the new California patient, who's receiving medical care in Sacramento County, contracted the virus. The patient didn't have a relevant travel history or exposure to another patient with the virus, the CDC said Wednesday.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

>

California Gov. Gavin Newsom said Thursday that 33 people have tested positive for COVID-19 and the state is currently monitoring at least 8,400 others —a day after U.S. health officials confirmed the first possible community transmission of the coronavirus in a Solano County resident.
"This is a fluid situation right now and I want to emphaize the risk to the American public remains low," said Dr. Sonia Y. Angell, California Department of Public Health Director and State Health Officer during a press conference. "There have been a limited number of confirmed cases to date."
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention doesn't know exactly how the new California patient, who's receiving medical care in Sacramento County, contracted the virus. The patient didn't have a relevant travel history or exposure to another patient with the virus, the CDC said Wednesday.

twitter.com

Yashar Ali 🐘 on Twitter

“Per Governor @GavinNewsom, California is monitoring 8,400 people for Coronavirus. "We knew this was inevitable," he says”

Thanks, everyone. (I'm a little nervous.)

Status
Not open for further replies.