• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
I mean, in the event of a brokered convention, it also falls on the party leadership not to self-destruct. Sanders voters will not show up to vote if he has a sizable plurality but is not given the nomination. He has high favorables among the party electorate and a lot of grassroots enthusiasm behind him - nominating him will not depress the moderate turnout in any way.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Also, there's only 771 superdelegates. So, by necessity, it'll have to be super damn close to overturn anything.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I don't get why everyone considers a brokered convention so disastrous. We have rational actors in the delegates and supers. They'll do a right thing.
A brokered convention means chaos, the media reproduces that chaos "dems in disarray 24/7 for an entire week". The chaos of 1968 and 1980 significantly hurt Humphrey and Carter respectively.

Also if Bernie has like 40% of the delegates and he is denied the nomination then...good luck...

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the rest of the party sees Sanders this way at all. Now we hate the rose twitter garbage people and chapos, but like 98% of Sanders supporters are Democrats basically voting for a Democrat. They vote already for other Democrats. Sanders nomination doesn't fundamentally alter the power structure of the party at all. He will need to work with Democrats in coequal branches and state parties to get things done.

A Trump like attempt to centralize power won't work.

Which he has done for decades since he has served for decades

Its so ridiculous to look at the extremists in his corner as the lynchpin to lean on when calling him illegitimate

I hate it

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think the rest of the party sees Sanders this way at all. Now we hate the rose twitter garbage people and chapos, but like 98% of Sanders supporters are Democrats basically voting for a Democrat. They vote already for other Democrats. Sanders nomination doesn't fundamentally alter the power structure of the party at all. He will need to work with Democrats in coequal branches and state parties to get things done.

A Trump like attempt to centralize power won't work.
Oh, with regards to people, sure. I'm talking about politicians and the party apparatus. If Sanders got the nomination through a majority, he would completely replace the party apparatus. Put all his people into the Dem party itself, take only his people with him to the White House, ensure Dem party funds are more fairly given to candidates from local elections to national. It'd be a complete upheaval.

Oct 26, 2017
The best thing Joe could possibly get other than an Obama endorsement would be Obama and Hillary condemning Bloomberg.

Biden realllllly needs some party leaders to condemn Bloomberg for him.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The funny thing about "the establishment HATES Sanders because he's a threat to their existence" is that all these establishment Dems who have worked with Bernie for decades in the Senate or House generally find him pretty collegial and easy to work with. Outside of Barney Frank, I can't recall off hand any congressional Dem, at least publicly, airing their grievances about working with Bernie Sanders -- and these are the people who would know him best!

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
A candidate can pledge their delegates to someone else at any time. They don't need to wait for a second ballot.
I imagine - dependent on the delegate math, anyway - any sort of brokered convention deal that involves two of the candidates teaming up for a majority of pledged delegates would happen before the convention itself.

Oct 26, 2017
The funny thing about "the establishment HATES Sanders because he's a threat to their existence" is that all these establishment Dems who have worked with Bernie for decades in the Senate or House generally find him pretty collegial and easy to work with. Outside of Barney Frank, I can't recall off hand any congressional Dem, at least publicly, airing their grievances about working with Bernie Sanders -- and these are the people who would know him best!

Hillary dislikes Bernie a lot but that wasn't due to their two years in the Senate together, of course.

Skiptastic

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Biden winning SC by a wide margin will and should make this a 2 person race
Not with Super Tuesday days later. Pete and Amy and Elizabeth aren't dropping that close to Super Tuesday, Steyer never had a chance so I don't know why he hasn't dropped yet, and Bloomberg after the past two performances should drop but won't until after Super Tuesday when he takes some untold number of delegates but has no path to the nomination.

A week from today, we should see a precipitous number of concessions, but who knows with this group?

Oct 27, 2017
The World
Not with Super Tuesday days later. Pete and Amy and Elizabeth aren't dropping that close to Super Tuesday, Steyer never had a chance so I don't know why he hasn't dropped yet, and Bloomberg after the past two performances should drop but won't until after Super Tuesday when he takes some untold number of delegates but has no path to the nomination.

A week from today, we should see a precipitous number of concessions, but who knows with this group?

They might stay on but voters will see it as a dual fight hopefully.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem is that he surrounds himself with perpetually aggrieved contrarian burn it down types.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
A candidate can pledge their delegates to someone else at any time. They don't need to wait for a second ballot.
I'm not entirely sure on a state-to-state basis, but it's to my understanding that for the first ballot pledged delegates will remain alligned to the candidate that voters -- and not the candidate themselves -- chose them to represent.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I mean, in the event of a brokered convention, it also falls on the party leadership not to self-destruct. Sanders voters will not show up to vote if he has a sizable plurality but is not given the nomination. He has high favorables among the party electorate and a lot of grassroots enthusiasm behind him - nominating him will not depress the moderate turnout in any way.
Your post is doing a lot of hypotheticals here, especially the last sentence. No matter how popular Bernie may be with Moderate Democrats (who are NOT moderates, no matter how much people want to pretend they are) you still need a hell of a lot more people than your base to win an election. If Bernie is toxic among our new coalition that has, in part, college educated suburban voters, he totally 100% can lose and depress turnout. One cannot argue that Bernie's demographic weaknesses don't matter, but Biden's do.

As to your first point, not self-destructing does not entail "Bernie gets everything he wants, and everyone else can fuck off." It doesn't involve telling the 30-50% of the Dem electorate who didn't vote for Bernie "get in line or else." That's not how this works. There absolutely has to be give and take from both sides. That means Bernie doesn't get everything he wants and THE ESTABLISHMENT doesn't get everything they want.

Honestly, if we get close to a brokered convention, all of this will be settled behind the scenes. An ideal scenario would be let the first round vote, Bernie has a plurality or whatever....then before the second round happens, whoever is in 2nd comes out and asks to suspend the rules and vote for the nominee by acclimation.

Edit: On the first ballot, delegates are bound to their nominee. On the second ballot, everyone becomes unbound and they can vote for whomever. If your nominee tells you to vote for Mickey Mouse, you can if you want to, but you do not have to. There's no mechanism to force a delegate to vote for the person their nominee asks them to.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

SolarPowered

Oct 28, 2017
I really don't think Biden can win in VA - DFP did a poll there and Sanders was leading pretty convincingly.

I also don't see him winning Texas going by the polling and Bernie's campaigning there.

That looks more like a worst case scenario for Sanders, which isn't even that bad.
Warren is probably being underestimated in VA and CO. I also don't get why people keep repeating that South Carolina's results would change the voting behavior of Texas voters. They're not exactly next door neighbors or even demographically similar. Turnout is currently through the roof and they were probably paying more attention to what majority hispanic Nevada had to say in this primary instead. Same for California as well. Come Super Tuesday I think we'll be in for a few surprises regardless of what happens in South Carolina.

Jeffrey Schweers @jeffschweers

We asked all 67 #Florida county election supervisors how they are protecting us against #hacking and #RussianInterference. We got mostly crickets. Turns out they signed nondisclosure agreements with the Department of State: https://www.usatoday.com/in-depth/news/investigations/2020/02/25/voting-access-florida-sunshine-state-election-security/4866141002/ …

1:11 PM - Feb 26, 2020

We're not winning Florida. It belongs to the gators and Putin now.

Oct 25, 2017
He was wrong then too, like candidates are now if there is a clear plurality winner. It is what it is. If that level of pettiness is all it takes to want to blow the whole thing up, then I guess that's that.

There's not really any involvement of pettiness from anyone here that will make any sort of impact, it's just amusing to see Bernie's campaign flip flop as soon as he gets the lead. Which is smart for him, but it is amusing to see in the context of all those Bernie fans who treat him like he isn't some sort politician like the other candidates. Even though he absolutely is.

Either he'll have a commanding lead by the convention, and thus the SD impact is minimized and he'll become the nominee or if SD's actually have an impact, it means his plurality was weak and there's multiple competitive candidates.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I'm not entirely sure on a state-to-state basis, but it's to my understanding that for the first ballot pledged delegates will remain alligned to the candidate that voters -- and not the candidate themselves -- chose them to represent.

Rule 13(j) DELEGATE SELECTION RULES For the 2020 Democratic National Convention

Delegates elected to the national convention pledged to a presidential candidate shall in all good conscience reflect the sentiments of those who elected them.​

Only relevant thing I can find in the rules. Seems to me there's nothing stopping Warren asking her delegates to support Bernie prior to the first vote.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Economist you're so dreamy. Neoliberals have both the dominant mindshare among the electorate and no real choice in the race.

R5bubtm.jpg

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Rule 13(j) DELEGATE SELECTION RULES For the 2020 Democratic National Convention

Delegates elected to the national convention pledged to a presidential candidate shall in all good conscience reflect the sentiments of those who elected them.​

Only relevant thing I can find in the rules. Seems to me there's nothing stopping Warren asking her delegates to support Bernie prior to the first vote.
Right. That doesn't refer to the candidate, I believe. That refers to the electorate.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Your post is doing a lot of hypotheticals here, especially the last sentence. No matter how popular Bernie may be with Moderate Democrats (who are NOT moderates, no matter how much people want to pretend they are) you still need a hell of a lot more people than your base to win an election. If Bernie is toxic among our new coalition that has, in part, college educated suburban voters, he totally 100% can lose and depress turnout. One cannot argue that Bernie's demographic weaknesses don't matter, but Biden's do.
What do you mean by "Moderate Democrats aren't Moderates"? You're saying we should ignore all polling and all data - which paints the picture that Bernie is the most electable in the field - and instead subscribe to the media-forged narrative that he's somehow toxic and divisive despite this being nowhere to be found in the data? Sorry but your take on this is absolutely hysterical.

As to your first point, not self-destructing does not entail "Bernie gets everything he wants, and everyone else can fuck off." It doesn't involve telling the 30-50% of the Dem electorate who didn't vote for Bernie "get in line or else." That's not how this works. There absolutely has to be give and take from both sides. That means Bernie doesn't get everything he wants and THE ESTABLISHMENT doesn't get everything they want.
This is where the Democratic Party is supposed to broker the convention in such a way that Bernie's base is satisfied and turns out to vote and the Bernie skeptics get some sort of assurance. Any scenario in which Bernie Sanders wins a sizable plurality and is not at the top of the ticket would be unacceptable to his voter base. There's data corroborating this and I'm sure Bernie himself would say he's supportive of the nominee either way and campaign for him/her, but that wouldn't placate his base and it would end up being a disaster. This isn't "holding the nomination hostage" but being pragmatic and taking the appropriate steps to ensure the Party doesn't implode in November. Now, a scenario in which Bernie does get the nomination but is forced to take a VP as recommended by the upper echelons of the Democratic Party sounds very feasible and would go a long way to quiet the fears of some congressional Democrats.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
www.nbcnews.com

Bernie Sanders' left-wing purist image belied by record of compromise

The Democratic front-runner, criticized as an unyielding hard-liner, is willing to accept incrementalism. He just doesn't like to talk about it.

Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur

Bernie Sanders has a long history of settling for incrementalist measures when his progressive ideal fails. This side of him is not well-known because neither he nor his critics like to talk about it. So I looked at his record.​
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/bernie-sanders-image-left-wing-purist-belied-record-compromise-n1143956 …

Former Harry Reid aide who dealt with Bernie Sanders: "He likes to draw lines in the sand and take tough positions, but like most Democrats he believes in governing. He isn't there to blow things up."https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/bernie-sanders-image-left-wing-purist-belied-record-compromise-n1143956 …

11:16 AM - Feb 27, 2020

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Right. That doesn't refer to the candidate, I believe. That refers to the electorate.

Yes, and if the electorate voted to support Warren and Warren says folks, we can't win but Sanders is the best option to get our agenda enacted, I endorse him and please support him... then that's a pretty strong argument to the delegates that the sentiments of the electorate would be respected by voting for Bernie. They don't have to, but if your candidate asks you to do something and you don't then you're not supporting your candidate very well, are you.

Really, this unrelenting "Bernie against the world" mentality is unhealthy.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
The Dow dropped 14% off its high back in 2018, it's not the worst drop since 2008 AFAIK.

but it's a bad drop either way :)
It's accurate.

The tweet said "stock market" not Dow. I think the S&P 500 is a much better representation than the Dow, and looking at that, it's down 11.1% from the high last Thursday to the low this morning. 11% in 1 week. A quick glance at 2018 shows it dropped more than that (almost 16%) in 21 calendar days in December. The drop in October was 10%, and also took longer than a week. It does appear the market has not dropped 11% in 1 week since probably 2008.

bluexy

Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and if the electorate voted to support Warren and Warren says folks, we can't win but Sanders is the best option to get our agenda enacted, I endorse him and please support him... then that's a pretty strong argument to the delegates that the sentiments of the electorate would be respected by voting for Bernie. They don't have to, but if your candidate asks you to do something and you don't then you're not supporting your candidate very well, are you.

Really, this unrelenting "Bernie against the world" mentality is unhealthy.
What? I'm confident in my understanding of the rules, but more than open to be proven wrong. Delegates must vote for who they are elected to support. That's why forecasts like 538 can be confident in their scenarios and don't have to account for compromises in the first round of voting. After the first round, delegates are given leeway to change their votes, but superdelegates are also introduced/ This has nothing to do with "Bernie against the world," and frankly I'm tired of hearing so many people say it to dismiss others based on who they may or may not support in the election.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
LegendofJoe I'm not going to report that post, but that sort of fear-mongering could well be moddable. You may want to adjust that message. From the OT for it:

This epidemic is a serious situation and as such deserves a serious level of discussion. Please refrain from posting unsubstantiated information from unverified or disreputable sources, baseless conspiracy theories, or low-effort fear-mongering. Any comments failing to do so may be subject to moderation. Thank you.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
What? I'm confident in my understanding of the rules, but more than open to be proven wrong. Delegates must vote for who they are elected to support. That's why forecasts like 538 can be confident in their scenarios and don't have to account for compromises in the first round of voting. After the first round, delegates are given leeway to change their votes, but superdelegates are also introduced/ This has nothing to do with "Bernie against the world," and frankly I'm tired of hearing so many people say it to dismiss others based on who they may or may not support in the election.

Apparently, its:

Delegates elected to the national convention pledged to a presidential candidate shall in all good conscience reflect the sentiments of those who elected them.[13]

It's not going to matter in the end.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The problem is that he surrounds himself with perpetually aggrieved contrarian burn it down types.
Right, and it's one of my biggest issues with him, if not the biggest. But at the end of the day, the convention -- and the primary writ large -- is about deciding the next nominee and hopefully president, not the next White House chief of staff.

Oct 25, 2017
www.nbcnews.com

Bernie Sanders' left-wing purist image belied by record of compromise

The Democratic front-runner, criticized as an unyielding hard-liner, is willing to accept incrementalism. He just doesn't like to talk about it.

Sahil Kapur @sahilkapur

Bernie Sanders has a long history of settling for incrementalist measures when his progressive ideal fails. This side of him is not well-known because neither he nor his critics like to talk about it. So I looked at his record.
https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/bernie-sanders-image-left-wing-purist-belied-record-compromise-n1143956 …

Former Harry Reid aide who dealt with Bernie Sanders: "He likes to draw lines in the sand and take tough positions, but like most Democrats he believes in governing. He isn't there to blow things up."https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/bernie-sanders-image-left-wing-purist-belied-record-compromise-n1143956 …

11:16 AM - Feb 27, 2020

This is the reason I'm more than fine with Bernie as President. I hope his base just doesn't splinter when political reality sets in.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
LegendofJoe I'm not going to report that post, but that sort of fear-mongering could well be moddable. You may want to adjust that message. From the OT for it:

This epidemic is a serious situation and as such deserves a serious level of discussion. Please refrain from posting unsubstantiated information from unverified or disreputable sources, baseless conspiracy theories, or low-effort fear-mongering. Any comments failing to do so may be subject to moderation. Thank you.

It isn't fear mongering, it's the truth. Japan isn't shutting down all of its schools just to assuage its people. Epidemiologists and public health experts have gone on record stating that this virus will likely be around for a while. My wife, who has a degree in zoonotic diseases, agrees with them.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
What? I'm confident in my understanding of the rules, but more than open to be proven wrong. Delegates must vote for who they are elected to support.

Well, I cited the rules, and you just cited your understanding of the rules. So, show me where your belief originates using primary sources, and I'll believe you, no problem.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
It isn't fear mongering, it's the truth. Japan isn't shutting down all of its schools just to assuage its people. Epidemiologists and public health experts have gone on record stating that this virus will be around for a while. My wife, who has a degree in zoonotic diseases, agrees with them.
The flu annually kills around 646,000 people worldwide. COVID19 is more transmissible, has a longer asymptomatic incubation period (making it harder to respond to) and is twenty times as lethal. I agree that it is not fearmongering to say the markets are pricing in this risk, whether it's of direct economic impact, general disruption, or deaths.

Status
Not open for further replies.