• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Culex

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Only nice thing about the markets tanking is the heating oil prices have crashed. Just ordered 100 gallons for $1.91.

Have seen it this low in 4-5 years

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Because every healthcare being proposed on that debate stage is at the whim of the GOP.

And the more M4A is attacked, the better Bernie seems to be coming out.
And how is Pete's public option not at the whim of the GOP? This doesn't really make sense considering the public option would mostly be used by poorer people and more prone to GOP abuse.
Sure, but there are still fallbacks under a public option where employer coverage isn't gone. You can also have supplemental insurance options that would (theoretically) be available to purchase should the GOP gut the sexual health/gender affirming therapies part of the program. I still think it's a better line of attack than "It costs too much." A coordinated attack with "Do you want to put Mitch in charge of your healthcare" seems, at least to me, way more effective than THIRTY TRILLIONDY BILLIONDY DOLLARS"

Oct 25, 2017

Sure, but there are still fallbacks under a public option where employer coverage isn't gone. You can also have supplemental insurance options that would (theoretically) be available to purchase should the GOP gut the sexual health/gender affirming therapies part of the program. I still think it's a better line of attack than "It costs too much." A coordinated attack with "Do you want to put Mitch in charge of your healthcare" seems, at least to me, way more effective than THIRTY TRILLIONDY BILLIONDY DOLLARS"
How is being uninsured and poor as fuck any better of a fallback because the GOP gutted the public option enrollment? Like seriously.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
"Momentum" doesn't mean shit in a two-party political system in which the incumbent loses the congressional branch 2 years into their presidency.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
How is being uninsured and poor as fuck any better of a fallback because the GOP gutted the public option enrollment? Like seriously.
Well, under Biden's and Pete's plan there would be no uninsured. There would be the public option that anyone who wanted could enroll in, including those who didn't have employer based coverage. I certainly am aware that far too many trans folks are underinsured and unable to afford gender affirming therapies. That's something that we absolutely have to change. But I'm thinking of one of the guys at my husband's work. He's trans and his therapies are covered under our group plan. However, if we got rid of that, and then the GOP strips gender affirming treatment, he'd be super boned compared to now. I don't think it's totally unreasonable to be worried about the GOP going in and gutting aspects of medical care they don't care for or don't want to see covered.

There should be no uninsured in this country, on that we 100% agree. I just don't trust the GOP to not completely fuck over people the minute they get the chance, and I think that line of attack makes more sense than HOW MUCH WILL IT COST THOUGH.
That's some below the belt shit.
It's fine.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
The ACA being "too conservative" is absolutely not why 2010 happened.
Conservative in the sense people seemed to feel like it was expensive for coverage that didn't seem much different and in that it took years for major provisions to start kicking in.

ACA was a massive campaign point and was attacked to years. My timeline was off, though. 2012 and beyond seemed to be the loudest against it.

Either way, we're on our way to one step forward and multiple steps back just barely 10 years after original passage of a heavily compromised and conservative bill in it's origins. How much more conservative and incremental does a health care bill need to be to survive for a longer time period?

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Well, under Biden's and Pete's plan there would be no uninsured. There would be the public option that anyone who wanted could enroll in, including those who didn't have employer based coverage. I certainly am aware that far too many trans folks are underinsured and unable to afford gender affirming therapies. That's something that we absolutely have to change. But I'm thinking of one of the guys at my husband's work. He's trans and his therapies are covered under our group plan. However, if we got rid of that, and then the GOP strips gender affirming treatment, he'd be super boned compared to now. I don't think it's totally unreasonable to be worried about the GOP going in and gutting aspects of medical care they don't care for or don't want to see covered.

There should be no uninsured in this country, on that we 100% agree. I just don't trust the GOP to not completely fuck over people the minute they get the chance, and I think that line of attack makes more sense than HOW MUCH WILL IT COST THOUGH.

It's fine.
What would be stopping someone adding a supplemental plan in that type of situation?

Is there anything specifically preventing the offering of a supplemental plan for situations like you've described?

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
What would be stopping someone adding a supplemental plan in that type of situation?

Is there anything specifically preventing the offering of a supplemental plan for situations like you've described?
Bernie's plan specifically outlaws/bans private insurance of any kind. A supplemental plan that would allow additional coverage is a great thing.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.

McConnell basically telling the rest of the GOP, "Be careful what you wish for."

Yeah, I've had a ton of trump supporters tell me that while they vehemently disagree with Sanders, they actually LIKE him... that's pretty huge - they can't say that about any of the other Dems.
Obviously that's not a reason to get behind Sanders, but it makes him not someone who'll be so easy to beat -I could be wrong, but it feels like more swing trump-voters would pull the lever for Sanders than most other Dems.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I think Warren wins when she's punching to her right. Airing grievances about Bernie's campaign doesn't do anything for me and feels petty.

Oct 25, 2017
I think Warren wins when she's punching to her right. Airing grievances about Bernie's campaign doesn't do anything for me and feels petty.

She needs to win over some of his voters and/or divert voters peeling off of the others on to her. She needs to highlight the differences and push forward a brand of progressive pragmatism or she is done. It is her only chance.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Pete gave a damn good answer there. He made sure to get in front of the fact that a question about his record on racial justice was coming.
Good on you Pete.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018
tumblr_pj8d8t7ZMY1txtch1o2_250.gifv

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
I've come to an uncomfortable realization that I am height-ist or size-ist. On an unconscious level, it bothers me that Bloomberg is so short. I don't know where that comes from, and I don't like having thoughts like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.