• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any democrat in the White House will have a similar if not identical list of legislative accomplishments. All of them are to the left of what will realistically pass into law.
but only one has a chance to swing the pendulum to the left in any meaningful way so that actual progress might become possible down the line.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Glad to hear nothing matters.
That's not what anyone is saying. However, legislatively, a Bernie presidency is going to look identical to a Warren presidency which is going to look identical to a Biden presidency. Why? Because everything still has to get through Sinema, Tester and Manchin.

Oct 25, 2017
y'all supporting warren pretending you don't know what's on the line with a biden nomination are being crazy disingenuous. you wouldn't be supporting warren if you didn't understand what's on the line. the gap between progressives and moderates is staggering when it comes to policy across the board. same as clinton supporters all know what a lie it was in 2016 being told there was no difference between her and trump.

so no, don't expect to be coddled and told "hey, warren's still got a 1% chance. vote for your dreams." the reality is stark. sanders, a progressive who will fight for virtually everything warren stands for too, has a good shot at the presidency. but it's not in the slightest certain. and the other option is biden/bloomberg. so folk voting super tuesday should know those odds now rather than after Super Tuesday when things will be cemented. if your goal is to put a progressive in the white house, if you can step beyond "fuck sanders," now is the time to vote strategically.

this isn't november. it's not an open race anymore.

Warren's done more this primary to diminish the absolute worst case scenario (Bloomberg) than Bernie has.

I'll vote for Warren, thanks.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Real test for Bernie today. I want to see how he performs with all the incoming fire. One thing he has going for him is message discipline, but that won't be enough today.

Oct 25, 2017
Also, honest to God, if my vote for Warren did somehow cause Biden to win instead of Sanders, I'm okay with that. His platform is leftward enough for me and he's also consistently polling ahead of Trump in key states.

It's the height of privilege to tell me that I have to try and vote for the most leftward candidate. Fuck that. I will vote strategically to win an election, particularly a GE, but I'm not putting a crown on Bernie just because he's got a bunch of leftist policies that you like. In that case, I would have more salient concerns than "who is most to the left," like say "who will beat Trump because he's a threat to my black ass continuing to stay alive?"

But that's for a GE. I'm here in the primary, so I'm voting for who I wanna motherfucking vote for, don't @ me because I didn't crown Sanders king like you wanted me to.

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
I don't personally like them, except the ham and cheese Lean Pocket in a pinch. When I was in elementary school, I went to a private school and they had them a few times a week. I got so sick of them I rarely touch them now.

I like bbq chicken lean pockets with the pretzel crust. They have gone missing in my local supermarket tho :(

I remember eating a Hot Pocket once when I was a kid and I hated it. The commercials did a decent job at making it seem edible.

That would be Tulsi practicing her catch phase when she gets that gig at Fox News

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
So, is it fair to say whatever impact the last debate had on Warren's polling has been negligible at best?

I don't expect this debate will do much either.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
From yesterday:

www.reuters.com

Trump 'gag rule' on abortion referral can be enforced, U.S. appeals court rules

A sharply divided federal appeals court on Monday said the Trump administration may enforce a rule labeled by critics as a "gag rule" that could deprive abortion providers of federal funding for family planning.
(Reuters) - A sharply divided federal appeals court on Monday said the Trump administration may enforce a rule labeled by critics as a "gag rule" that could deprive abortion providers of federal funding for family planning.
In a 7-4 decision, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a ruling last June by a unanimous three-judge panel to lift injunctions won by California, Oregon and Washington against the rule, which deprives clinics that provide abortion referrals of Title X family planning funds.
The rule was meant to help President Donald Trump fulfill a 2016 campaign pledge to end federal support for Planned Parenthood, which received about $60 million annually, or one-fifth, of Title X funds.
Planned Parenthood left the program last August rather than comply with the rule, which is enforced by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
In a statement, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said the "troubling" decision helps Trump "roll back women's access to reproductive healthcare."
Planned Parenthood's acting president Alexis McGill Johnson called on Congress to overturn the rule, which she said created "egregious barriers" to healthcare for low-income people.
----------------
Circuit Judge Richard Paez dissented, saying the rule would deprive people of cancer screening, HIV testing and other needed healthcare, and undermine Congress' intent that patients be able to communicate openly with healthcare providers.
"The consequences will be borne by the millions of women who turn to Title X-funded clinics for lifesaving care and the very contraceptive services that have caused rates of unintended pregnancy - and abortion - to plummet," he wrote. "I strongly dissent."
All seven judges in the majority were appointed by Republican presidents, including two by Trump. The dissenters were appointed by Democratic presidents.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
but only one has a chance to swing the pendulum to the left in any meaningful way so that actual progress might become possible down the line.

That's entirely subjective and, honestly, not exactly persuasive. The midterms traditionally are bad for the incumbent party and that's just a cycle, so I'm not sure how momentum is built better by having someone in office who tries but fails to accomplish a more aggressive agenda.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
That's not what anyone is saying. However, legislatively, a Bernie presidency is going to look identical to a Warren presidency which is going to look identical to a Biden presidency. Why? Because everything still has to get through Sinema, Tester and Manchin.

Fair enough. The only notable outcomes of the general election are Trump or a democrat. I recommend we all just coalesce around the obvious frontrunner now in order to build momentum sooner rather than later.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Warren's done more this primary to diminish the absolute worst case scenario (Bloomberg) than Bernie has.

I'll vote for Warren, thanks.
she fucking destroyed bloomberg and it was a beautiful thing to behold. i wish she received a proper swing after that last debate. but while voters do love seeing attacks they don't tend to like the attacker. also fucking sexism. i hope she does the same tonight.

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
Also, honest to God, if my vote for Warren did somehow cause Biden to win instead of Sanders, I'm okay with that. His platform is leftward enough for me and he's also consistently polling ahead of Trump in key states.

It's the height of privilege to tell me that I have to try and vote for the most leftward candidate. Fuck that. I will vote strategically to win an election, particularly a GE, but I'm not putting a crown on Bernie just because he's got a bunch of leftist policies that you like. In that case, I would have more salient concerns than "who is most to the left," like say "who will beat Trump because he's a threat to my black ass continuing to stay alive?"

But that's for a GE. I'm here in the primary, so I'm voting for who I wanna motherfucking vote for, don't @ me because I didn't crown Sanders king like you wanted me to.
Doesn't bernie poll as well or better against trump compared to biden?

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's entirely subjective and, honestly, not exactly persuasive. The midterms traditionally are bad for the incumbent party and that's just a cycle, so I'm not sure how momentum is built better by having someone in office who tries but fails to accomplish a more aggressive agenda.

so progressive momentum is instead best built by electing a centrist?

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
From yesterday:

www.reuters.com

Trump 'gag rule' on abortion referral can be enforced, U.S. appeals court rules

A sharply divided federal appeals court on Monday said the Trump administration may enforce a rule labeled by critics as a "gag rule" that could deprive abortion providers of federal funding for family planning.
(Reuters) - A sharply divided federal appeals court on Monday said the Trump administration may enforce a rule labeled by critics as a "gag rule" that could deprive abortion providers of federal funding for family planning.
In a 7-4 decision, the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals upheld a ruling last June by a unanimous three-judge panel to lift injunctions won by California, Oregon and Washington against the rule, which deprives clinics that provide abortion referrals of Title X family planning funds.
The rule was meant to help President Donald Trump fulfill a 2016 campaign pledge to end federal support for Planned Parenthood, which received about $60 million annually, or one-fifth, of Title X funds.
Planned Parenthood left the program last August rather than comply with the rule, which is enforced by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
In a statement, California Attorney General Xavier Becerra said the "troubling" decision helps Trump "roll back women's access to reproductive healthcare."
Planned Parenthood's acting president Alexis McGill Johnson called on Congress to overturn the rule, which she said created "egregious barriers" to healthcare for low-income people.
----------------
Circuit Judge Richard Paez dissented, saying the rule would deprive people of cancer screening, HIV testing and other needed healthcare, and undermine Congress' intent that patients be able to communicate openly with healthcare providers.
"The consequences will be borne by the millions of women who turn to Title X-funded clinics for lifesaving care and the very contraceptive services that have caused rates of unintended pregnancy - and abortion - to plummet," he wrote. "I strongly dissent."
All seven judges in the majority were appointed by Republican presidents, including two by Trump. The dissenters were appointed by Democratic presidents.

Contrast this with the rule that Philadelphia can't discriminate against religious adoption agencies.

Edit: The 9th is the 'liberal' circuit, is it not?

Box of Kittens

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
For better or for worse I don't vote until after Super Tuesday. Whether I vote for Warren or Sanders will depend on the state of the race at that point (just to give an example, the more Bloomberg appears to be a threat the more likely I am to vote Sanders).

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
Is there a Hot Pocket comparison?

Like we have the Pop-Tarts vs. Toaster Strudel thing, is there a Hot Pocket war to be aware of so I can know who to vote for in the shitty frozen food primary between Hot Pockets anddddd?

(PS, as for this whole primary vs. general voting thing, the original post did come off as condescending and acting like it was coming from a place where we're all 8-year-olds who don't get it. I don't think it was like malicious but just perhaps something lost in translation with how it was written. The follow-up was more obviously caustic and hard to misinterpret, but peeps were already agitated by then so that's not shocking.)

Oct 27, 2017
Contrast this with the rule that Philadelphia can't discriminate against religious adoption agencies.

Edit: The 9th is the 'liberal' circuit, is it not?

Now you see why 2016 was such a disaster. Americans by and large don't care that much about the Judicial branch until something outrageous hits SCOTUS.

On America's tombstone it should read, "It died because nobody read the fucking instruction manual"

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Over half the votes In NV were cast before the debate aired, which was going to be an issue. SC/ST's the actual test.
I'm going to disagree here. Her test was the first three states. She's now like Pete, and Amy going into demographics that aren't in her favor. Just like Pete and Amy she had to win multiple states early to have a chance. Tons of votes are already baked in coming into super Tuesday. Last UML poll had her down 1 to Sanders in MA. If she's struggling in MA she's got no real chance in SC/ST. That debate performance was way too late, and whoever in her campaign decided their best shot was going as the unity candidate should be fired.

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
For better or for worse I don't vote until after Super Tuesday. Whether I vote for Warren or Sanders will depend on the state of the race at that point (just to give an example, the more Bloomberg appears to be a threat the more likely I am to vote Sanders).

Exactly where I'm at.

Most of the time my primary vote doesn't matter by time I get to have my voice heard. I'll be damned if I waste it on a non viable candidate if my vote means more this time around.

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I may be misremembering, but i'm pretty sure Barrack Obama was labeled a centrist and he passed legislation that gave 30 million people insurance.
He did. After it was gutted by centrists. And as a result, those moderates shat on it and helped lead to massive losses in just the next election and the ones after until 2018.

People eventually started liking it but it took too long to get up to speed and by that time the electoral (and judicial) damage was done. Whatever we try next is going to have to work a bit faster.

And even now, it's basically hanging on a thread barely 10 years later.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Is there a Hot Pocket comparison?

Like we have the Pop-Tarts vs. Toaster Strudel thing, is there a Hot Pocket war to be aware of so I can know who to vote for in the shitty frozen food primary between Hot Pockets anddddd?

(PS, as for this whole primary vs. general voting thing, the original post did come off as condescending and acting like it was coming from a place where we're all 8-year-olds who don't get it. I don't think it was like malicious but just perhaps something lost in translation with how it was written. The follow-up was more obviously caustic and hard to misinterpret, but peeps were already agitated by then so that's not shocking.)
Amy's makes this feta and spinach version my one son likes.

Oct 25, 2017
she fucking destroyed bloomberg and it was a beautiful thing to behold. i wish she received a proper swing after that last debate. but while voters do love seeing attacks they don't tend to like the attacker. also fucking sexism. i hope she does the same tonight.

Yes, and my view is: the longer she stays in the race, the more she can keep hammering away at Bloomberg before Bernie gets a plurality and the party coalesces around him.

The nomination process ends up being a bit messier as a result but at least an attempt is made to keep Bloomberg down (that hopefully his money can't overcome).

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain

Also why I don't plan to early vote this time unless it's just a couple days before the primary. There is a possibility where Warren suspends after Super Tuesday (or looks totally non viable).

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He did. After it was gutted by centrists. And as a result, those moderates shat on it and helped lead to massive losses in just the next election and the ones after until 2018.

People eventually started liking it but it took too long to get up to speed and by that time the electoral damage was done. Whatever we try next is going to have to work a bit faster.

And even now, it's basically hanging on a thread barely 10 years later.
The ACA being "too conservative" is absolutely not why 2010 happened.

KHarvey16

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
so progressive momentum is instead best built by electing a centrist?

I think "momentum" as a concept is far more complicated than simply being based on whatever the person who occupies the White House believes.

Could it be argued a moderate causes less backlash and therefore more progress on balance in the long term? Maybe. Would depend on many other things I think. It's certainly not obvious one way or the other, and I think arguing it is is overcompensation for knowing that.

Terra

May 15, 2019
On America's tombstone it should read, "It died because nobody read the fucking instruction manual"

I mean I think America's tombstone will be something along the lines of "turns out being completely unable to change a rigid set of documents created hundreds of years ago by a bunch of rich racist white dudes wasn't exactly ideal!" But the judiciary definitely falls under that general umbrella so hey.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Yes, and my view is: the longer she stays in the race, the more she can keep hammering away at Bloomberg before Bernie gets a plurality and the party coalesces around him.

The nomination process ends up being a bit messier as a result but at least an attempt is made to keep Bloomberg down (that hopefully his money can't overcome).
she really hasn't been given enough credit for staving off what could have been a nightmare scenario for everyone in the party. and yeah, the longer she's able to do that, the better.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Last time I strategically voted in a primary it was 2016 and I voted for Trump as I thought he was the weakest Republican. NC went in May and my chosen candidate at the time, Sanders, was already beaten. (Voted Clinton in the general). So, uh, no more of that, I'm voting my heart, Warren, as I want a +1 in the column for both a progressive and a woman.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017

hell yeah

I'll be voting for my queen on super Tuesday too but you're my king bro

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Before the inevitable 30 minute segment on M4A tonight....

I don't understand why people don't hit Bernie on how his M4A plan would literally put our healthcare at the whim of the GOP. I think the pricing argument is kind of a loser. Bernie's been vague enough on that for so long whatever numbers he's released are kinda whatever. Instead, I'd focus on the fact that if we're all on one healthcare plan, the GOP can come in and gut it six ways to Sunday. They could ban taxpayer funded money for birth control, abortion or gender affirming treatments. To me, that's waaaaay scarier than the price tag (even though that's ridiculous too.)

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

I don't understand why people don't hit Bernie on how his M4A plan would literally put our healthcare at the whim of the GOP. I think the pricing argument is kind of a loser. Bernie's been vague enough on that for so long whatever numbers he's released are kinda whatever. Instead, I'd focus on the fact that if we're all on one healthcare plan, the GOP can come in and gut it six ways to Sunday. They could ban taxpayer funded money for birth control, abortion or gender affirming treatments. To me, that's waaaaay scarier than the price tag (even though that's ridiculous too.)
Because every healthcare being proposed on that debate stage is at the whim of the GOP.

And the more M4A is attacked, the better Bernie seems to be coming out.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Ask people in England if they want to give up on the NHS in favor of a privatized healthcare system because Tories could theoretically mess with it.

Oct 25, 2017

And how is Pete's public option not at the whim of the GOP? This doesn't really make sense considering the public option would mostly be used by poorer people and more prone to GOP abuse.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
That would be Tulsi practicing her catch phase when she gets that gig at Fox News
Trash always finds its way to more trash.

It's true in the ocean, and it's true on the land.

So, is it fair to say whatever impact the last debate had on Warren's polling has been negligible at best?
There was evidence it helped her in the non-early vote in NV, and I suspect a strong performance could help her a little with the next handful of states.

But debates don't shape elections. They provide a temporary lift that can maybe be capitalized on (it's too late now), but it's just noise in the end.

Warren has lost the primary.

Oct 25, 2017
Doesn't bernie poll as well or better against trump compared to biden?

Yep, which is why I'm fine with either winning, but in the context of why I would vote strategically for Bernie in this primary, it wouldn't be because "he's the most to the left" when, if I were voting based on strategy, I'd have other concerns like "who can beat Trump?" I'm not out here trying to fulfill leftist dreams with my strategic vote; I'm out here trying to win.

Don't worry, Bernie will win WA and probably the nomination, and then he'll absolutely get my vote in November.

Status
Not open for further replies.