• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the primary process has gotten fucking weird and I kinda blame the horse race media. Like no one seems to actually care as much about who they want to vote for, it's all a strange meta prediction game about who other people would or wouldn't vote for at some time in the future.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the primary process has gotten fucking weird and I kinda blame the horse race media. Like no one seems to actually care as much about who they want to vote for, it's all a strange meta prediction game about who other people would or wouldn't vote for at some time in the future.
I said this exact same thing yesterday. Too much concern being put on what your neighbor wants rather than what YOU want.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

Anyway for the media to build the narrative that the Democrat in November will only win by the most thinnest if razor margins.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
It really should only be down to like 3-4 people at this point.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Fucking gross.

This goes for both FL Dems and TX Dems - your states will hold primary elections where your constituents will be able to express their preference. If they choose Sanders, suck it and fall in line.
This is two random people not the party, not even a minority of people in the state. In fact, the party is on record saying it's stupid.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
This is two random people not the party, not even a minority of people in the state. In fact, the party is on record saying it's stupid.
Several Democrats in Florida were publicly panicking over Sanders' comments on Cuba just earlier though, including people like Andrew Gillum and it doesn't sit well with me.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
This year is honestly more of that than ever but it's not because of the media, it's because of Trump. Like, punditbrain is a terrible affliction and we all have it and it's growing every year but this year in particular it got a lot worse because electability >>> most every other concern for most Dems. If you like a candidate but you think that other people don't you're going to move to another pick because what you really like about candidates is that they can beat Trump. Hell, I was just listening to an interview with a Bernie Sanders precinct captain in Nevada and they asked what drew her to Bernie and the first thing out of her mouth was "I think he can really beat Trump."

Oct 25, 2017
Is the new barometer of "You should vote for X" if they are likely to be the nominee?

Because if so...WHEW BOY is that ironic as fuck.

LOL

---

I'll be voting for Warren in NC this coming week simply because she destroyed Bloomberg in the debates.

I'm at this point less concerned about who is the nominee from the remaining candidates as much as I want it to NOT be Bloomberg.

Oct 26, 2017
UK
Isn't the saying "vote with your heart in the primary, vote with your head in the general"? or something like that

This is a pretty silly saying to be honest. It should be vote for the vulnerable people out there or vote for yourself. There are two clear progressive candidates and it looks like only one of them has a chance of getting the nom. So if you want to vote for better education/healthcare/minority rights/foreign policy for all people then it would seem to me that there's only one choice.

Not that I'd fault people for voting for Warren; but the same people making that choice shouldn't be getting upset at people who can't bring themselves to vote for Biden/Pete/Bloomberg in the general because of their view on race or healthcare. It's a privileged idea to think the primary's somehow different and people only want to say that ones about heart and the others about logic because they can afford to.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It really should only be down to like 3-4 people at this point.
I'd be the first to tell you the field is still too big.

But I also want Warren to stay in as a safety valve. Things can happen. Scandals can happen. Oppo can get dropped. Who knows. And it may be kinda morbid to think but there's a nonzero change Bernie runs into some health issues. It's a low chance, probably, and I don't want shit like that to happen, but if it does I don't wanna be in a corner having to back fucking Bloomberg because Warren dropped too early.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
If you want Warren to win, vote Warern. If you want Bernie to win, vote Bernie.

Boom. Simple as that.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Several Democrats in Florida were publicly panicking over Sanders' comments on Cuba just earlier though, including people like Andrew Gillum and it doesn't sit well with me.
If multiple Democrats from the state, including a pretty progressive one, criticized it, there might've been something wrong with it!

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Well, I mean I hate to be that guy, but they were comments that put a lot of folks in the Florida Democratic party in a bad position. Part of being the nominee is not putting your down ballot folks in a bad position where they have to chose between supporting whatever silly thing the nominee said or saving their own asses. If you get branded with the "Loves Castro" brush in parts of Florida, you're boned. That's just the reality of the electorate.

Furthermore, Bernie is not entitled to blind loyalty, even if he is the nominee. Like, if I am a Congress person and Bernie says something that can hurt me, I'm saving my own ass. Sorry not sorry. And, hell I don't know....I'm usually willing to defer to people who have run and won elections in a state to determine if something is problematic or not. That's just me though.

Also, and while this isn't necessarily your point, I'm already getting fed up to here with the idea that "coming together" means Bernie gets everything he wants, and everyone else just has to like it or lump it. That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works. Part of coming together is both sides giving and taking a little bit. That's how it worked in 2008.That's how it worked in 2016. That's how it's gotta work in 2020.
So if you want to vote for better education/healthcare/minority rights/foreign policy for all people then it would seem to me that there's only one choice.
Well thank god it's only one person running who wants any of those things.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
y'all supporting warren pretending you don't know what's on the line with a biden nomination are being crazy disingenuous. you wouldn't be supporting warren if you didn't understand what's on the line. the gap between progressives and moderates is staggering when it comes to policy across the board. same as clinton supporters all know what a lie it was in 2016 being told there was no difference between her and trump.

so no, don't expect to be coddled and told "hey, warren's still got a 1% chance. vote for your dreams." the reality is stark. sanders, a progressive who will fight for virtually everything warren stands for too, has a good shot at the presidency. but it's not in the slightest certain. and the other option is biden/bloomberg. so folk voting super tuesday should know those odds now rather than after Super Tuesday when things will be cemented. if your goal is to put a progressive in the white house, if you can step beyond "fuck sanders," now is the time to vote strategically.

this isn't november. it's not an open race anymore.

Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
Some general TX and then more specifically Austin, TX area early voting data

apps.texastribune.org

Texas early voting tracker: What you need to know

The Texas Tribune is tracking day-by-day cumulative early voting turnout for the state’s largest counties during the 2020 primary. Find out how many people have voted early.
cbsaustin.com

Early voter turnout in Travis County on track to break record

Early voting numbers in Travis County are looking up -- and in a big way. Travis County Clerk Dana DeBeauvoir says 2020's primary is on record to smash previous years' voter turnout. "This may end up being 50% higher turnout than the primary election we had in presidential 2016," said...
Let's hope it's enough for Austin to get a D rep.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Jeremy Barr @jeremymbarr

Chris Wallace, who has criticized Jim Acosta in the past, said he was "horrified" by Acosta's back-and-forth with Trump today. "It's not our job to get in fights with presidents, it's not our job to one-up the president."

Maggie Haberman says "I agree with Chris" that reporters should not be fighting with Trump​

5:41 PM - Feb 25, 2020

>

CSPAN @cspan

President Trump: "If you see what CNN, your wonderful network, said I guess they apologized in a way…What was their apology yesterday? What did they say?"

Jim @Acosta: "Mr. President, I think our record on delivering the truth is a lot better than yours sometimes."​

9:19 AM - Feb 25, 2020

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
y'all supporting warren pretending you don't know what's on the line with a biden nomination are being crazy disingenuous. you wouldn't be supporting warren if you didn't understand what's on the line. the gap between progressives and moderates is staggering when it comes to policy across the board. same as clinton supporters all know what a lie it was in 2016 being told there was no difference between her and trump.

so no, don't expect to be coddled and told "hey, warren's still got a 1% chance. vote for your dreams." the reality is stark. sanders, a progressive who will fight for virtually everything warren stands for too, has a good shot at the presidency. but it's not in the slightest certain. and the other option is biden/bloomberg. so folk voting super tuesday should know those odds now rather than after Super Tuesday when it's significantly (and statistically) less likely to matter. if your goal is to put a progressive in the white house, if you can step beyond "fuck sanders," now is the time to vote strategically.
Please, by all means, explain to us silly Warren people what we should do. I get all these things in my head and I get ever so confused as to what I should do.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017

so no, don't expect to be coddled and told "hey, warren's still got a 1% chance. vote for your dreams." the reality is stark. sanders, a progressive who will fight for virtually everything warren stands for too, has a good shot at the presidency. but it's not in the slightest certain. and the other option is biden/bloomberg. so folk voting super tuesday should know those odds now rather than after Super Tuesday when it's significantly (and statistically) less likely to matter. if your goal is to put a progressive in the white house, if you can step beyond "fuck sanders," now is the time to vote strategically.
The gap on policy is decent I suppose but the gap on policy they can get enacted probably isn't actually that wide. A president isn't a dictator and they'll be held back by the median senator.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Please, by all means, explain to us silly Warren people what we should do. I get all these things in my head and I get ever so confused as to what I should do.
adam, you are constantly rude and insulting. if you want to argue that i'm wrong, that the polling and forecasting is bullshit, be my guest, but you don't have to be a complete jerk about it.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
If Bernie cannot win the nomination due to Warren voters in the primary, who by all accounts currently are a pittance of people and hardly even relevant, than he never was going to win the nomination.

People can and should vote for who they believe best in the primary, trying to bully people with fear mongering into supporting "your candidate" is nonsense.

Oct 29, 2017
Space

so no, don't expect to be coddled and told "hey, warren's still got a 1% chance. vote for your dreams." the reality is stark. sanders, a progressive who will fight for virtually everything warren stands for too, has a good shot at the presidency. but it's not in the slightest certain. and the other option is biden/bloomberg. so folk voting super tuesday should know those odds now rather than after Super Tuesday when things will be cemented. if your goal is to put a progressive in the white house, if you can step beyond "fuck sanders," now is the time to vote strategically.

K.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
It's disappointing to see these comments about Warren. The other day it was that she should quit, and now it's that voters who like her should vote for Bernie instead. She's 8 years younger so she could well do 2 terms, her plans are more detailed and more likely to be paid for, and they have a greater chance of being passed, and she didn't recently have a heart attack. I'm reminded of an older female relative telling me a week or two ago that no woman should be President, which had my jaw on the floor. I'm not saying the take that voters should be strategic now is wrong, just that it's disappointing we're in this situation at all. The country obviously doesn't deserve her.

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017

Jeremy Barr @jeremymbarr

Chris Wallace, who has criticized Jim Acosta in the past, said he was "horrified" by Acosta's back-and-forth with Trump today. "It's not our job to get in fights with presidents, it's not our job to one-up the president."

Maggie Haberman says "I agree with Chris" that reporters should not be fighting with Trump

5:41 PM - Feb 25, 2020

>

CSPAN @cspan

President Trump: "If you see what CNN, your wonderful network, said I guess they apologized in a way…What was their apology yesterday? What did they say?"

Jim @Acosta: "Mr. President, I think our record on delivering the truth is a lot better than yours sometimes."

9:19 AM - Feb 25, 2020

It's our job to let people lie to our faces and politely type it up later.

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017

1) I'm going to vote for Warren in the primary as I prefer Warren. There's nothing you or anyone else can do about it.

2) Bernie (or any other candidate) are not obligated to receive my vote in a primary.

3) If Bernie (or whoever else) can't clench the nomination, that's on them.

What if you want Tulsi to win?

... asking for a friend.

I'd ditch that friend.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

I think telling posters in the PoliEra thread that they don't know what is at stake in November presents a complete lack of awareness of all of the discussions in this thread.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
There is no reason not to vote for Warren if she is your preferred candidate. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA

Is this a meme

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
adam, you are constantly rude and insulting. if you want to argue that i'm wrong, that the polling and forecasting is bullshit, be my guest, but you don't have to be a complete jerk about it.
You just implied everyone who is voting for Warren instead of Bernie is somehow ignorant, delusional or a combination of the two. That's going to get a flippant response from me because it's insulting.

Warren is who I want to be the nominee. Therefore, I am voting for Warren to be the nominee. It's really, really, really simple.

Ionic

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is the new barometer of "You should vote for X" if they are likely to be the nominee?

Because if so...WHEW BOY is that ironic as fuck.

The conversation was around how to get a progressive into the Whitehouse. In 2016 if you wanted a progressive in the Whitehouse your best bet was Sanders. In 2020 your best bet is also Sanders.

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
It's disappointing to see these comments about Warren. The other day it was that she should quit, and now it's that voters who like her should vote for Bernie instead. She's 8 years younger so she could well do 2 terms, her plans are more detailed and more likely to be paid for, and they have a greater chance of being passed, and she didn't recently have a heart attack. I'm reminded of an older female relative telling me a week or two ago that no woman should be President, which had my jaw on the floor. I'm not saying the take that voters should be strategic now is wrong, just that it's disappointing we're in this situation at all. The country obviously doesn't deserve her.
Loud men will unfortunately almost always beat a woman with a well thought out plan.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I'm voting Warren in CA. In fact, your post reminds me to mail in my ballot this afternoon!

I do understand what's on the line and will support whoever gets the nomination in the general. But this is a primary and not a coronation and I still prefer Warren.

Status
Not open for further replies.