• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
We may very well be on the cusp of electing Bernie Sanders president this year, I don't think it'd be crazy to suggest OWS laid some foundation for that.

There was a part of me at the time that was frustrated that OWS wasn't actually manifesting itself in direct political engagement, but I'm glad a decade or two later that, well, that's what we're seeing with the folks taking the DSA moniker for themselves.

Oct 25, 2017
Got my ballot from my mailbox and decided to just vote my conscience. I have to vote pragmatically in the GE, so fuck it, why not vote for the person whom I genuinely think is best for the job in the primary?

+1 for Warren in WA.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Pour one out for Linkura.

If there is a global pandemic that affects US populations (which seems likely at this point), it might have the possibility of making it hard for any candidate to campaign (and also easier for any candidate to try to disqualify the results). There was a post earlier about putting vote-by-mail contingencies in place, but the problem runs a lot deeper; I'm not sure our electoral process can withstand a large-scale disruption in the systems we've become accustomed to for informing and voting.

I don't think there's any cause for alarm yet, but it definitely seems like something to watch.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'll never begrudge anyone voting their conscious if they genuinely don't care who ultimately wins the Dem nomination, whether it's a progressive or a moderate. But if you do care, we've reached the point where it's genuinely a 2 (or an unlikley 3)-way contest. It's either going to be Sander or it's going to be Biden (with a chance that Biden crumples and Bloomberg takes the spot. Polling can be bad, but it's not so bad that Warren, Buttigieg, or Klobuchar are going to win a plurality of delegates anymore. We have an excellent idea of how the Super Tuesday states will go and even if those three have better-than-expected showings, they're going to lose so bad that they won't be able to catch up in the 60% of remaining delegates even if they get 20 pt+ bumps.

There are definitely a lot of folk here who probably prefer Warren, followed by Biden over Bernie. Not trying to discourage anyone. But if folk do care about getting a progressive as the nominee, now is the time to acknowledge strategic voting is key. It's time to pick Sanders over Warren.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
I mean Pete is just a good politician! You don't have to read a bunch of tea leaves into why people would vote for him.

Got my ballot from my mailbox and decided to just vote my conscience. I have to vote pragmatically in the GE, so fuck it, why not vote for the person whom I genuinely think is best for the job in the primary?

+1 for Warren in WA.

Can't decide on a moderate-am waiting for ST results before sending in my ballot. Would prefer Mike/Amy but dunno if they are still going to be around (OK with Joe and Pete).

Would rather walk through a Lowe's parking lot in Everett barefoot than vote in a primary for Sanders.

Last edited:

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
People say OWS failed because it didn't just flip a switch and immediately end intractable systemic issues, which is not how anything has ever worked. It was a spark that ignited an immensely greater public awareness of the massive divide between the haves and the have nots.

It is no longer a question of whether or not this is a problem, but of how we are going to tackle it, and I don't know that we'd be here without OWS.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
I'll never begrudge anyone voting their conscious if they genuinely don't care who ultimately wins the Dem nomination, whether it's a progressive or a moderate. But if you do care, we've reached the point where it's genuinely a 2 (or an unlikley 3)-way contest. It's either going to be Sander or it's going to be Biden (with a chance that Biden crumples and Bloomberg takes the spot. Polling can be bad, but it's not so bad that Warren, Buttigieg, or Klobuchar are going to win a plurality of delegates anymore. We have an excellent idea of how the Super Tuesday states will go and even if those three have better-than-expected showings, they're going to lose so bad that they won't be able to catch up in the 60% of remaining delegates even if they get 20 pt+ bumps.

There are definitely a lot of folk here who probably prefer Warren, followed by Biden over Bernie. Not trying to discourage anyone. But if folk do care about getting a progressive as the nominee, now is the time to acknowledge strategic voting is key. It's time to pick Sanders over Warren.

I'll continue to vote Warren here in SC, but thanks for the faux concern and veiled "Vote Bernie because he's the Best."

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017

Well now I'm extremely voting for Warren on Super Tuesday.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
People say OWS failed because it didn't just flip a switch and immediately end intractable systemic issues, which is not how anything has ever worked. It was a spark that ignited an immensely greater public awareness of the massive divide between the haves and the have nots.

It is no longer a question of whether or not this is a problem, but of how we are going to tackle it, and I don't know that we'd be here without OWS.
OWS failed because we have very little to show for it after the Obama years (That's how I see it, at least). The seeds it planted may finally take hold here in 2020 but that's a different story.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
We may very well be on the cusp of electing Bernie Sanders president this year, I don't think it'd be crazy to suggest OWS laid some foundation for that.

I'd credit Occupy Wall Street and Black Lives Matter jointly for ending the Third Way era in the Democratic party, though Obama laid the foundation for that by being a Third-Wayer who adopted Progressive rhetoric.

MizerMan

Oct 25, 2017
I voted while drinking a brandy and Coke, which is nice.

Soon as that day hits, I'm going and getting it out of the way.

Yeah, I'm still voting Warren. Strategic voting only applies for the GE as far as I'm concerned.

Isn't the saying "vote with your heart in the primary, vote with your head in the general"? or something like that

More or less, yeah.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
OWS failed because we have very little to show for it after the Obama years (That's how I see it, at least). The seeds it planted may finally take hold here in 2020 but that's a different story.

I mean, if a protest plants seeds that successfully grow into a revolution, I would certainly characterize that as a success.

Are you undecided?

If not, there's no reason at all to watch it.

This. Instead of watching my preferred candidate say things I already agree with and worry about if they say them well enough, I am going to see Sonic.

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017

(1) Warren can give her delegates to Sanders at the convention

(2) Primaries is when you vote with your heart and tell the party what you want, as it shapes the platform. The general is when you vote strategically and pragmatically

Nov 2, 2017
Re: debate nervousness

Incredibly so. I have to fight the urge to get wasted.

I think of the potential ramifications of every single exchange throughout the whole thing. "Oh shit that was a solid comment, will XYZ go up or down in the polls for that? How will that poll affect the ANC primary?"

Oct 25, 2017

(2) Primaries is when you vote with your heart and tell the party what you want, as it shapes the platform. The general is when you vote strategically and pragmatically
Can't candidates only release their delegates not give them to someone? I imagine some of them would go to Biden or something.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
I see The World's Whiniest And Weakest Thug is expecially whiny and weak today.

Modi probably rolled him like a joint, he's not got a finger on the SCOTUS, coronavirus, or the Dow and it's eating him alive.

"Name Redacted", referred to as Sean.

I WONDER WHO THAT COULD BE.....

Sloppy opsec for a supposed tech genius.

The mad game of musical chairs to stay out from under the bus is a sight to see.

We get to play that game where we pick out who of the ranting offended GOP are against FISA who voted for its reupping a couple years back like Dirty Devin Nunes.

Wonder why the ruckus now...

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Case can be made that the Democratic voters should coalesce around one nominee faster to better be prepared for the GE. A protracted primary with a contested convention ultimately hurts the party no matter the outcome.

That said I think in the primary the people should vote for who they want rather than trying to predict what could happen. It's still early in the process and quite a few outcomes can occur.

Though it's very likely that Warren gets 0 delegates from SC. She is on a hot streak of 0 delegates.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I'll continue to vote Warren here in SC, but thanks for the faux concern and veiled "Vote Bernie because he's the Best."
If that's your takeaway then I'm sorry I failed to represent my point well enough. I'm a Warren fan and a Sanders fan. I wanted nothing more than it to be a 2-way race for the presidency between them. My point was trying to make clear that Warren simply doesn't have a path to the nomination anymore. It would require polling errors or a shift in public views never before seen in the USA.

I say the same thing about Buttigieg and Klobuchar. Steyer, too. They have no paths.

There's an incredible opportunity to put a progressive on the path to the White House and every vote, especially in the primaries, helps.

Regarding 1.) Warren would not be able to give her delegates to Sanders in the first round, meaning the 400 Superdelegates would come into play and 100% erase any potential gains Warren's delegates would add to Sanders' pool. Her endorsement and support through the rest of the primary would matter more.
Regarding 2.) This is certainly a way to look at it if you're 100% with any of the Democrats winning the nomination. My advice is just for those who prioritize a progressive winning vs. a moderate.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Florida:

www.politico.com

2 Florida Democrats sue to keep Sanders off primary ballot

The complaint says the candidate is unqualified in a closed-primary state.
TALLAHASSEE — Two Florida Democrats are suing to block Bernie Sanders from running as a Democrat in the state's March 17 presidential primary.
In the lawsuit filed Monday in circuit court in Leon County, the plaintiffs ask that Sanders be disqualified from the Democratic primary because he's a declared independent.
The Florida Democratic Party labeled the complaint "ridiculous," and the Sanders campaign called it "spurious."
The complaint also seeks to prevent state election officials from counting any votes Sanders has already received. More than 244,000 Democrats have already voted by mail in Florida.
Karen Gievers, a former circuit court judge representing Frank Bach and George Brown, both Tallahassee Democrats, said Sanders should not be allowed on the Democratic ballot.

-------------​

"Florida is a closed primary state, yet here we have someone who is an independent on the Democratic ballot," said Gievers. "You can't be an independent and be a member of the party."
Gievers, when asked, described both Bach and Brown as military veterans and registered Democrats. In response to a follow-up question, she said Bach is her husband.
Juan Penalosa, the executive director of the Florida Democratic Party, called the lawsuit "ridiculous."
"The Florida Democratic Party executive committee voted unanimously to place Senator Sanders on the Florida ballot," Penalosa said. "Votes cast for the senator are valid and must be counted."
Gievers said she looked forward to hearing from Democratic Party attorneys, but also noted, "It's hard to think that voter suppression or dilution would be described as ridiculous by a party official."
Kolby Lee, a regional press secretary for Sanders, also was dismissive of the lawsuit.
"We're aware of the spurious complaint and it will not affect us. Bernie will be on the ballot in Florida," Lee said.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
It's beneficial for Bernie for Warren to stay in the race just to have another person who is similar to him policy wise and be on the attack on candidates like Bloomberg. Warren on the attack on Bloomberg makes Bernie looks very good.

Plus her aggressively stumping and campaigning gets the message across to a larger amount of people which makes progressive policies more palatable overall.

Bradbatross

Mar 17, 2018
if Warren wasn' t a viable candidate Bernie wouldn't be winning.

She's progressive.

There's a reason she's "not viable" and has nothing to do her with her policies.
I'm not saying she's not progressive. I'm saying this is a race between Bernie/Biden/Bloomberg now, so if you want a progressive who actually has a chance of winning the primary, Bernie is the only option.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Is the new barometer of "You should vote for X" if they are likely to be the nominee?

Because if so...WHEW BOY is that ironic as fuck.

SSF1991

Jun 19, 2018
Florida:

www.politico.com

TALLAHASSEE — Two Florida Democrats are suing to block Bernie Sanders from running as a Democrat in the state's March 17 presidential primary.
In the lawsuit filed Monday in circuit court in Leon County, the plaintiffs ask that Sanders be disqualified from the Democratic primary because he's a declared independent.
The Florida Democratic Party labeled the complaint "ridiculous," and the Sanders campaign called it "spurious."
The complaint also seeks to prevent state election officials from counting any votes Sanders has already received. More than 244,000 Democrats have already voted by mail in Florida.
Karen Gievers, a former circuit court judge representing Frank Bach and George Brown, both Tallahassee Democrats, said Sanders should not be allowed on the Democratic ballot.

-------------​

"Florida is a closed primary state, yet here we have someone who is an independent on the Democratic ballot," said Gievers. "You can't be an independent and be a member of the party."
Gievers, when asked, described both Bach and Brown as military veterans and registered Democrats. In response to a follow-up question, she said Bach is her husband.
Juan Penalosa, the executive director of the Florida Democratic Party, called the lawsuit "ridiculous."
"The Florida Democratic Party executive committee voted unanimously to place Senator Sanders on the Florida ballot," Penalosa said. "Votes cast for the senator are valid and must be counted."
Gievers said she looked forward to hearing from Democratic Party attorneys, but also noted, "It's hard to think that voter suppression or dilution would be described as ridiculous by a party official."
Kolby Lee, a regional press secretary for Sanders, also was dismissive of the lawsuit.
"We're aware of the spurious complaint and it will not affect us. Bernie will be on the ballot in Florida," Lee said.

When Democrats put more effort into stopping Bernie than they have been stopping Trump...

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
There's not enough fuckery even in the FL courts system for blocking Sanders (and I know waaay too much about the FL courts at any given time, its family matters!).

That being said <3 my Tallahassee peeps even when they do dumb stuff like that. Dismiss the case and go catch a baseball game, you'll feel better.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Florida:

www.politico.com

-------------​

Fucking gross.

This goes for both FL Dems and TX Dems - your states will hold primary elections where your constituents will be able to express their preference. If they choose Sanders, suck it and fall in line.

Status
Not open for further replies.