• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Anti-coronovirus measures is something that I think we can get bipartisan support for. Republicans don't want this affecting the economy anymore and Democrats don't want this affecting... well everything else. Bad news is that I think this is just going to strengthen strict immigration control even further and might even get backing from moderate democrats.

It's just bad all around.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Posted this story in the primary thread but it's so gross that I thought it deserved more eyes-- The Sanders campaign fired another extremely toxic staffer. This time, the guy in question said Buttigieg is the "result of botched conversion therapy" and that Chasten is a future meth dealer. He was a regional field director in MI and ran a twitter account full of sexist attacks, AIDS jokes and other such gems. Glad to see him gone. Disgusting but illuminating read below.

Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN), Mora has tweeted, "looks like her name: pained, chunky, [and] confused origin/purpose." Former South Bend Mayor Pete Buttigieg "is what happens when the therapist botches the conversion," and his husband, Chasten, Mora predicts, will be "busted for running a meth racket" in 10 years. Sen. Elizabeth Warren (D-MA), a frequent subject of Mora's private account, is called a "dumb Okie," "an adult diaper fetishist" who "looks like shit" and who lied about having Native American ancestry "to get into Harvard."

In one tweet accompanying professional photographs of Queer Eye stylist and Warren surrogate Jonathan Van Ness, Mora said that the streaming personality was "trying to look hot while Daddy Ronald Reagan watches him die of AIDS." Van Ness, who once made a joke about Reagan's use of pomade on the show, is openly HIV positive.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/berni...ttigiegs-sexuality-on-private-twitter-account

And the journalist who did the story... has been doxxed =/

www.businessinsider.com

A Daily Beast reporter was doxxed after publishing a story about Bernie Sanders' campaign staffer's harassing tweets

As Sen. Sanders cements his position as the 2020 frontrunner, focus has turned to the online behavior of his supporters. He disavowed them on Monday.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Posted this story in the primary thread but it's so gross that I thought it deserved more eyes-- The Sanders campaign fired another extremely toxic staffer. This time, the guy in question said Buttigieg is the "result of botched conversion therapy" and that Chasten is a future meth dealer. He was a regional field director in MI and ran a twitter account full of sexist attacks, AIDS jokes and other such gems. Glad to see him gone. Disgusting but illuminating read below.

https://www.thedailybeast.com/berni...ttigiegs-sexuality-on-private-twitter-account

www.businessinsider.com

A Daily Beast reporter was doxxed after publishing a story about Bernie Sanders' campaign staffer's harassing tweets

As Sen. Sanders cements his position as the 2020 frontrunner, focus has turned to the online behavior of his supporters. He disavowed them on Monday.
Probably deserves its own thread, leading with the doxx part, as a shitty lower level staffer is one thing, but the insane response is actually a bigger story than that now.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how people can look at Corbyn's absolutely disastrous reign as Labour Leader in the UK and go "I want that!" (not a direct Sanders comparison, this is about the mentality)

There's this belief of a silent progressive majority, that if they just are more open about it, they'll get millions of people who've been yearning for this. The truth is a lot more muddled, and you're going to have to wrestle a lot of places back from the far right edges back to the middle before you can begin to edge them further left.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
And the Chapo people are out defending this turd now.

Want to make the thread?
Don't really have the time.

And of course they are.
There's this belief of a silent progressive majority, that if they just are more open about it, they'll get millions of people who've been yearning for this. The truth is a lot more muddled, and you're going to have to wrestle a lot of places back from the far right edges back to the middle before you can begin to edge them further left.
That belief is 100% projection.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
Don't really have the time.

And of course they are.

That belief is 100% projection.

To be fair, I think there probably is a more progressive friendly country overall, especially the younger you dig down; older generations of liberals skew heavily toward the middle, but it's also regional (my aunts and uncles in Boston are all leaning heavily toward Bernie and did the same in 2016; my aunts and uncles in Michigan are way more in the Biden/Pete lane). Building a sustainable progressive coalition will take time but is completely possible, and the best change Bernie made for 2020 is his clarification that it's not all about him, but about building a broader movement.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Bernie is going to need some better way to thread the needle on Castro, Maduro, et al. if he's the nominee because those comments are absolutely going to be on full blast by the Trump campaign and RNC. This shit is pure unforced errors that make a Sanders bid in Florida even harder than it needs to be, and I'm uncomfortable with the implicit idea that the campaign can get away it because of generational divides where younger Latino voters don't have the same kind of baggage with left-wing Latin American leaders that their parents/grandparents have. That might not even be electorally possible, but even if it was, that shouldn't be something to rest on!

Deleted member 48897

Banned
Oct 22, 2018
It's amazing how people can look at Corbyn's absolutely disastrous reign as Labour Leader in the UK and go "I want that!" (not a direct Sanders comparison, this is about the mentality)

I still don't understand what Corbyn has to do with the modern American left in the first place. The circumstances regarding Labor's recent electoral performance have nothing to do with anything happening in the US, considering we haven't spent the last couple years hemming and hawing over how important it is to leave the EU, then failing to actually do that.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017

www.businessinsider.com

JFC that is gross. People are terrible.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
As the Cenk union busting thread taught me, nothing matters as long as you contribute to progressive causes.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't understand what Corbyn has to do with the modern American left in the first place. The circumstances regarding Labor's recent electoral performance have nothing to do with anything happening in the US, considering we haven't spent the last couple years hemming and hawing over how important it is to leave the EU, then failing to actually do that.
Corbyn would have lost Brexit or not Brexit. He was incredibly unpopular, sent moderate voters and MPs fleeing the party, and his electoral strategy abandoned upper-income swing districts they had won over in 2017 in favor of chasing "WWC" type areas that had been trending away from Labour for generations. Because he actively believed in that "if you go hard left you'll win over those racist working class types who have been leaving your party for years". This is why Lee Fang, of all people, noted that he was worried about the Sanders campaign doing the same thing w/ their campaign strategy after seeing the IA/NH primary turnout and geographic patterns.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Stocks did not respond well to that CDC statement.

Shock that markets don't respond well to an administration that's done its best to guy any chance of coordinated CDC response, almost like they're worried a Trump rally reassuring people that they're ready for a virus won't work when CDC is issuing guidance saying otherwise.

Stuff like this doesn't help
dick pound

Kemal86

Oct 25, 2017

www.businessinsider.com

This is vile and will be totally dismissed as just "mean tweets" even tho it really shouldn't be.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I think he's referring to a more fundamental campaign (mis)calculation of chasing voters who don't exist.

Bernie's theory of the case is that he can turn out first-time voters en masse. That hasn't been happening so far. In fact, in IA and NH, the first-time voters who are participating are largely going to Pete over Bernie. This isn't an issue (yet?) because Bernie is still winning, and in NV he won pretty decisively. But it's also slightly worrying if the Sanders campaign is resting their turnout strategy on something that so far isn't actually materializing at the polls.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Corbyn would have lost Brexit or not Brexit. He was incredibly unpopular, sent moderate voters and MPs fleeing the party, and his electoral strategy abandoned upper-income swing districts they had won over in 2017 in favor of chasing "WWC" type areas that had been trending away from Labour for generations. Because he actively believed in that "if you go hard left you'll win over those racist working class types who have been leaving your party for years". This is why Lee Fang, of all people, noted that he was worried about the Sanders campaign doing the same thing w/ their campaign strategy after seeing the IA/NH primary turnout and geographic patterns.
The ethnic and cultural makeup of the American electorate is wildly different to the UK's so I'm not all that worried. Sanders campaign seems to be focused on building a diverse, multi-cultural coalition of mostly younger people which I think is a much better bet than courting rural whites. We'll see if this strategy works once we move on to the more diverse states in this primary race.

(polling was also pretty bad for Labour all the way up to the election while the Democrats currently lead the GCB by 7 points which is in line with 2018 Midterms)

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
Shock that markets don't respond well to an administration that's done its best to guy any chance of coordinated CDC response, almost like they're worried a Trump rally reassuring people that they're ready for a virus won't work when CDC is issuing guidance saying otherwise.

Stuff like this doesn't help
dick pound

Well that's a name

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
I have to pray that Trump's mishandling of the Coronavirus this close to the election will be the end for him but sigh.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The ethnic and cultural makeup of the American electorate is wildly different to the UK's so I'm not all that worried. Sanders campaign seems to be focused on building a diverse, multi-cultural coalition of mostly younger people which I think is a much better bet than courting rural whites. We'll see if this strategy works once we move on to the more diverse states in this primary race.

(polling was also pretty bad for Labour all the way up to the election while the Democrats currently lead the GCB by 7 points which is in line with 2018 Midterms)
The problem is that the "diverse coalition" exists because the campaign shed white voters more than it did other racial/ethnic groups. Not because they proactively added on to their 2016 voters.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
The problem is that the "diverse coalition" exists because the campaign shed white voters more than it did other racial/ethnic groups. Not because they proactively added on to their 2016 voters.
Except that doesn't explain why Sanders pretty much kept his 2016 margins in Nevada despite the turnout being significantly higher and there being 5 other candidates.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019

I don't think Bernie attempting to get the lion's share of the Obama-Trump voters is exactly unreasonable. If he's busy campaigning in Kentucky and deep red states in the general, that's another story.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Bill Barr just joined GOP senators for lunch. Some takeaways from GOP senators. Barr indicated there are steps he could take administratively to reform the FISA process to tighten standards on obtaining a warrant for people who have not committed crimes.
- Barr didn't say explicitly but suggested that Congress should extend the three expiring provisions without FISA reforms to make it easier for passage. "That's my sense," John Cornyn said when asked if Barr wants a straight, clean extension

Barr is open to broader reforms that could be enacted by Congress but that will take time to put together. He said he's supportive of the effort by Sen. Lindsey Graham to look into the FISA process and would see what comes out of it.
Barr did NOT talk about his job security, the president's tweets or the Roger Stone case.

Vestal

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tampa FL

It is pure art sir.

v9MGu2o.gif

shadow_shogun

Fallen Guardian
Oct 25, 2017
@mkraju
Trump, on his flight back from India, goes after juror minutes after a judge warns that doing so puts jurors at risk. "They are deserving of the public's respect," Jackson said Amy Berman Jackson criticizes Trump's attacks on Roger Stone juror - CNNPolitics

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
There has rarely been a juror so tainted as the forewoman in the Roger Stone case. Look at her background. She never revealed her hatred of "Trump" and Stone. She was totally biased, as is the judge. Roger wasn't even working on my campaign. Miscarriage of justice. Sad to watch!

15:16 - 25 Feb 2020

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Hey Susan, has he learned his lesson yet?

Trump wants Sotomayor and Ginsburg to recuse themselves from any case involving him. Video of his comments at the link. This is after yet more witness intimidation mentioned in the posts above. Also days after a judge warned of "banana republic". This is unbelievable.

www.cnn.com

Trump calls for liberal justices to recuse themselves from 'Trump-related' cases

President Donald Trump on Tuesday called for two liberal Supreme Court justices to recuse themselves from cases involving him following a scathing dissent issued by one of them, blasting the justices as the court considers a number of cases critical to his presidency.

Deleted member 3896

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was gonna say this would be a good honeypot but it's already locked lmao
It's a shame as it touches on a couple different issues that are important that seem somewhat off topic to the primary thread itself.

-Homophobia: We've had some issues on Reset with the LGBTQIA community feeling safe here and we have folks like Chapo defending the guy who was fired despite his homophobia and AIDS jokes (not to mention many sexist remarks)

-Doxxing, an always shitty practice that deserves to have light shined on it whenever it happens.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017

Gady Epstein @gadyepstein

What Never Trump really means, by former Tea Party congressman @walshfreedom: "if [Bernie's] the nominee, I won't just vote for him, I'll campaign for him" https://www.washingtonpost.com/outlook/2020/02/25/joe-walsh-im-no-fan-bernie-sanders-nevertrump-means-never-trump/ …

2:59 PM - Feb 25, 2020

Woke Joe Walsh has to be the weirdest thing to come out of the Trump era. But he gets it. One of the few republicans that do

Status
Not open for further replies.