• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I still can't get over the reality that a billionaire who spent his whole life being a staggeringly arrogant misogynist and racist is getting his feathers ruffled up about some mean tweets. And is making that like, the main pillar of his criticism of Sanders.

Slader166

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Did anybody screenshot the garbage tweet? Can't find it.
I have two of them

FKVPy3D.png

xUgdSXW.png

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Built into those odds are the scenarios where the main competition drop out by then, so they should be about right. They are simulation-based predictions that have a bunch of contingent and outlier scenarios in intermediate events.

Biden winning SC will lower Sanders' chances on ST across the board, because we'd be into those scenario paths.
Those simulations are based on polling, and there hasn't been a Tennessee poll in six months (and Bernie was a very distant third at that time).Putting Bernie at a 45% win probably in Tennessee is just dumb, based on zero actual data. We have no idea which way Tennessee is leaning

Oct 25, 2017
Those simulations are based on polling, and there hasn't been a Tennessee poll in six months (and Bernie was a very distant third at that time).Putting Bernie at a 45% win probably in Tennessee is just dumb, based on zero actual data. We have no idea which way Tennessee is leaning

In the absence of state polling, previous polls (or more specifically, the simulations that depend on those polls) get an adjustment based on national trends and demographic trends. We're far from "zero actual data".

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
In the absence of state polling, previous polls (or more specifically, the simulations that depend on those polls) get an adjustment based on national trends and demographic trends. We're far from "zero actual data".
Adjusting a single six month old poll and extrapolating that out into a win probability is garbage not worth your time.

Oct 25, 2017
In preparation for the debate tomorrow, Bernie put up a website of how he's going to pay for his plans.

berniesanders.com

How Does Bernie Pay for His Major Plans? | Bernie Sanders Official Website

We are taking on powerful interests who will do and spend whatever it takes to stop us. Change never happens from the top down. Chip in to join the political revolution today.

twitter.com

Bernie Sanders on Twitter

“A lot of my opponents like to say I can't pay for my agenda to help the working people of this country. They're dead wrong. Here's how: https://t.co/DtFi6S0u9v”

M4A
These options include:
  • Creating a 4 percent income-based premium paid by employees, exempting the first $29,000 in income for a family of four.
In 2018, the typical working family paid an average of $6,015 in premiums to private health insurance companies. Under this option, a typical family of four earning $60,000, would pay a 4 percent income-based premium to fund Medicare for All on income above $29,000 – just $1,240 a year – saving that family $4,775 a year. Families of four making less than $29,000 a year would not pay this premium.

(Revenue raised: About $4 trillion over 10 years.)

• Imposing a 7.5 percent income-based premium paid by employers, exempting the first $1 million in payroll to protect small businesses.
In 2018, employers paid an average of $14,561 in private health insurance premiums for a worker with a family of four. Under this option, employers would pay a 7.5 percent payroll tax to help finance Medicare for All – just $4,500 – a savings of more than $10,000 a year.

(Revenue raised: Over $5.2 trillion over 10 years.)

• Eliminating health tax expenditures, which would no longer be needed under Medicare for All.
(Revenue raised: About $3 trillion over 10 years.)

• Raising the top marginal income tax rate to 52% on income over $10 million.
(Revenue raised: About $700 billion over 10 years.)

• Replacing the cap on the state and local tax deduction with an overall dollar cap of $50,000 for a married couple on all itemized deductions.
(Revenue raised: About $400 billion over 10 years.)

• Taxing capital gains at the same rates as income from wages and cracking down on gaming through derivatives, like-kind exchanges, and the zero tax rate on capital gains passed on through bequests.
(Revenue raised: About $2.5 trillion over 10 years.)

• Enacting the For the 99.8% Act, which returns the estate tax exemption to the 2009 level of $3.5 million, closes egregious loopholes, and increases rates progressively including by adding a top tax rate of 77% on estate values in excess of $1 billion.
(Revenue raised: $336 billion over 10 years.)

• Enacting corporate tax reform including restoring the top federal corporate income tax rate to 35 percent.
(Revenue raised: $3 trillion ,of which $1 trillion would be used to help finance Medicare for All and $2 trillion would be used for the Green New Deal.)

• Using $350 billion of the amount raised from the tax on extreme wealth to help finance Medicare for All.

Last edited:

Dream Machine

Oct 25, 2017
One of my oldest son's medicines went from $6500 a month to $7500. I'm not complaining about that. It is obscene, but we knew it was going up because they increased his dosage and whatever. (It's totally wrong that a medicine should cost that much, but that's not the point.) Anyway, we have to get it from a speciality pharmacy and it has to be mail ordered. (No one around us compounds it.) They nicely let me know that if I don't use the website (that does not work atm) for refills in future, I will be charged a "courtesy" fee of $3.95. Their rationale? They're trying to keep costs down.
AbleLegitimateDungbeetle-size_restricted.gif
weird flex, but okay

Sandstar

Oct 28, 2017
In preparation for the debate tomorrow, Bernie put up a website of how he's going to pay for his plans.

berniesanders.com

We are taking on powerful interests who will do and spend whatever it takes to stop us. Change never happens from the top down. Chip in to join the political revolution today.

twitter.com

“A lot of my opponents like to say I can't pay for my agenda to help the working people of this country. They're dead wrong. Here's how: https://t.co/DtFi6S0u9v”

M4A

Reading that, i wonder how much a single person, or married couple with no kids pay in premiums per year.

Oct 25, 2017

berniesanders.com

twitter.com

M4A

Good shit but I hope he does not use "visit my website" rhetoric for this.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017

berniesanders.com

twitter.com

M4A

Well, that's $17.5 trillion towards M4A, so he's getting close, I guess.
weird flex, but okay
giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
A former Yang supporter student asked Bernie about nuclear energy at this town hall. He said he doesn't support it because we don't have ways to "remove the waste".

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A former Yang supporter student asked Bernie about nuclear energy at this town hall. He said he doesn't support it because we don't have ways to "remove the waste".
He also said it was cheaper to do renewables, which... they don't do the same things in the grid and nuclear not being popular atm contributes to its cost. Variable load vs constant. Once you get to a point in solar wind they get more expensive with storage than even the most expensive nuclear plants. But, yeah... We'll have to hit that wall hard enough that there's nowhere to dump the excess power to make that point clear it seems. Another decade or two wasted. Lovely.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
This is a good example of why working the refs is good and why Democrats should do it more often.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oof that is a lot of money to spend on a JD and likely from a shit tier school. Some of this Edu reform should really focus on shutting these schools down and much tighter loan regulations. 250k in loans for a JD frankly shoul not be allowed to happen in the first place.

Oct 25, 2017
One of the strangest things of this cycle was a black woman from Oakland showing the fuck out for Netanyahu and AIPAC. One of those positions that I've never heard any black democrats express in my entire life.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Whoever is the nominee should just make Inslee the Secretary of Energy and let him figure this shit out.

Cannot really expect politicians to figure out this existential threat, need like 20 brilliant scientist telling the president whats the best course of action so he could implement it within his power.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
This was a really good piece and gets why there won't be anything close to what we saw going into 2016 with Trump with Bernie.

Oct 25, 2017
This was a really good piece and gets why there won't be anything close to what we saw going into 2016 with Trump with Bernie.

This article has Chris Murphy, Gillibrand, Udall, and Maria Cantwell saying nice things which is nice to see.

The House is what happens when you give people 2 year term limits and force them fundraise basically every year. Sad.

Masoyama

Attempted to circumvent a ban with an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
He also said it was cheaper to do renewables, which... they don't do the same things in the grid and nuclear not being popular atm contributes to its cost. Variable load vs constant. Once you get to a point in solar wind they get more expensive with storage than even the most expensive nuclear plants. But, yeah... We'll have to hit that wall hard enough that there's nowhere to dump the excess power to make that point clear it seems. Another decade or two wasted. Lovely.

I am a PhD in electrical engineering and I work in consultancy for grid integration. Lets stop pretending that emotions, NIMBY and sticker shock beat out technological efficiency. Like 1% of engineers take nuclear seriously because we understand that the public has moved away from it, and we live in the world of "real" not in the world of what could be.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Internal drama and cracks in the armor are the biggest signs of weakness. The public after the impeachment trial basically shrugged and got bored and thought it didn't matter because there was no internal party drama about it save Mitt Romney.

any moderates worried about Sanders can have their say of concern now that the primary is going on but if he gets the nom they are going to have to get in the tank and just shrug off whatever drama. Even if it's all complete madness and the White House is imploding, people get bored if the players of the game are. The stuff moderates are worried about with sanders will have more weight if they allow it to. They have control over how difficult this will be for them. Obviously this is all going to be hard but fighting back after he's already got the nomination will only make it more difficult for them

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
yeah, you have to give some credit to memerson. Nate vindicated.

lol Biden really is out of money.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I've got to be honest, I'm not sure I understand why the $1K or so out of pocket cost increase is of no importance compared to the $4 administrative fee, so I must be in the same boat.
Well the $1k isn't out of pocket, but it's ironic that they're trying to save me money by charging me a "courtesy fee" after raising the cost of a drug by a grand.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
538's usual pre-debate polling went up. Here are the cool charts!

TyYzk6Y.png

75xs2H7.png

projects.fivethirtyeight.com

Who Won The South Carolina Democratic Debate?

How Democratic voters feel about the presidential candidates before and after the South Carolina Democratic primary debate for the 2020 election cycle

Status
Not open for further replies.