• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Biden on @BernieSanders big win in Nevada: "Well I think he does have momentum. I think...he has a good win. But, I still think we're gonna be -- People are looking at now, you know, not only as I said who can win and win the presidency, but who in fact is...

...gonna be in a position to be able to help maintain the House of Representatives, increase the voters there, numbers there and to win back the Senate."

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Just tuned into Bernies stump speech, and he's immediately talking about the MI, WI, and PA recent polls. That's definitely him sending a message to the talking heads.

Oct 26, 2017
Just tuned into Bernies stump speech, and he's immediately talking about the MI, WI, and PA recent polls. That's definitely him sending a message to the talking heads.

Those polls were not remotely good for us in general though, lol.

Any Dem being +1 in the swing states before the DOJ opens a fake investigation into the Dem is a bit worrying.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Those polls were not remotely good for us in general though, lol.

Any Dem being +1 in the swing states before the DOJ opens a fake investigation into the Dem is a bit worrying.
Bernie was +2 or more against Trump in all of them and was leading the Democratic field. So he out of everyone could tout those polls the most.

Oct 26, 2017
Bernie was +2 or more against Trump in all of them and was leading the Democratic field. So he out of everyone could tout those polls the most.

? The average was +1 for Bernie and Biden. Bernie and Biden were each up by 6 or so points in Michigan and Pennsylvania, down by 8 in Wisconsin.

Unless you're talking about another poll.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
? The average was +1 for Bernie and Biden. Bernie and Biden were each up by 6 or so points in Michigan and Pennsylvania, down by 8 in Wisconsin.

Unless you're talking about another poll.
Talking about this recent poll that just came out today which is probably what Sanders was referring to:

xnPNm2D.png

Sanders is making the case that he is now the most electable among the Democratic field and since this is still a primary he can make that claim.

kess

Oct 27, 2017
I doubt Biden would handle an obviously slanted investigation any better. Not after this shambolic campaign

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This also came out today which has Sanders winning by 3 points nationally (which IMO matters less than head to heads in swing states) but more importantly check out where Bloomberg is:

This is the problem with putting everything on electability/beating Trump... if polls come out showing that you aren't demolishing Trump then you have no leg to stand on.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't want a lot from the South Carolina debate, but there is just this one thing I need. I don't really care for the candidates trying to sell their policies (we've had so many debates already, it's pretty clear where they stand by now) underneath the stage light and to echoes of cheers. I just want to see Buttigieg's humiliation, live, with my own eyes, more than I could possibly put into words. I hope Klobuchar actualises my desired outcome, personally, because all I want from the debate is to see Klobuchar murdering (metaphorically!) Pete on that stage with binders worth of content (metaphorically?).

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really trying to stay grounded with my hopes in check, but Sanders' campaign rally is really giving me life right now. I haven't felt this energized by a candidate in such a long time.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Wisconsin is coming home baby.
That Quinnipiac poll had a very Republican sample (R+6) which is unlikely to match any turnout scenario this November.

Wisconsin is trending away from us but not that quickly. I think it will ultimately look very similar to Walker's re-election with similar dynamics - an extremely divisive incumbent presiding over a decent economy. Whether Trump is on the losing end of that (as Walker was) probably comes down to turnout.

Oct 25, 2017
I'm really trying to stay ground with my hopes in check, but Sanders' campaign rally is really giving me life right now. I haven't felt this energized by a candidate in such a long time.
His campaign rally is basically what we'll be seeing in a GE and he's hitting it out of the park. I can't imagine Biden with even half the enthusiasm or passion the day before the election.

UberTag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Kitchener, ON
Sanders is the best choice out of the primary field... no question. But the narrow margins in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin show that nobody should be resting on their laurels when it comes to prevailing in either of those states in the general.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Eh, I realize why he's doing it, but calling out polls where he's leading within the MoE as proof why he should be the nominee is not all that great. At least when Biden was using the electability argument, he was pointing to polls showing him by 6 or 7 points on Trump.

I mean, a 3 point win by Bernie might not even win us the EC.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sanders is the best choice out of the primary field... no question. But the narrow margins in Pennsylvania and Wisconsin show that nobody should be resting on their laurels when it comes to prevailing in either of those states in the general.
I would argue that due to the narrow margins that we need to unify behind a single candidate and we need to do that asap. Get Obama, Hillary and the other candidates all on board behind Sanders combined with Bloomberg just dumping money against Trump to win this thing.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I would argue that due to the narrow margins that we need to unify behind a single candidate and we need to do that asap. Get Obama, Hillary and the other candidates all on board behind Sanders combined with Bloomberg just dumping money against Trump to win this thing.

Always funny to hear Bernie supporters start sounding like Hillary supporters did in 2016.

I think it's hypocritical for any Bernie supporter to ask any candidate to drop out, especially since all of them are still more viable to win the nomination than Bernie was in 2016 after Super Tuesday.

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017
Now seems a bit early, if Bernie wins South Carolina (lol) or crushes it on Super Tuesday then that seems like the time to do it.

Yes, I think you're right that it will likely be very close. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for it though.

Which of WI, MI, and PA do you suppose will be most likely?

MI>PA>AZ>=WI imo

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
That Quinnipiac poll had a very Republican sample (R+6) which is unlikely to match any turnout scenario this November.

Wisconsin is trending away from us but not that quickly. I think it will ultimately look very similar to Walker's re-election with similar dynamics - an extremely divisive incumbent presiding over a decent economy. Whether Trump is on the losing end of that (as Walker was) probably comes down to turnout.

Yes, I think you're right that it will likely be very close. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for it though.

Which of WI, MI, and PA do you suppose will be most likely?

Oct 25, 2017
This is Bernie's best speech so far. At least of the one's I've seen. The contrast of this with a Biden rally is stark. The crowds really amplify them.

Deleted member 24149

Oct 29, 2017
Eh, I realize why he's doing it, but calling out polls where he's leading within the MoE as proof why he should be the nominee is not all that great. At least when Biden was using the electability argument, he was pointing to polls showing him by 6 or 7 points on Trump.

k1u6ixg.png

f2DWamo.png

Biden and Bernie have been consistent front runners against Trump nationally so ???????

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
Clinton was hardly ever at 49+ in the RCP average, by the way - only in early-mid 2015 before the race had really started and again briefly in late March/early April 2016.

I would expect lower undecideds in most polls this year, and less third party voting in the end as well.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't know if I want moderators to ask Bernie if he has any plan to pay for his climate change plan because it's so terrible I kind of want it to be buried so no one remembers it....

www.theguardian.com

Sanders to unveil $16tn climate plan, far more aggressive than rivals' proposals

Democratic presidential hopeful’s 10-year plan warns of devastating economic consequences if crisis is not addressed

"
Sanders says the plan will pay for itself over 15 years, including by "making the fossil fuel industry pay for their pollution, through litigation, fees, and taxes, and eliminating federal fossil fuel subsidies". He wants to cut emissions made in the US as well as some produced in developing countries."

The total net worth of the oil industry is $1.7T

Bernie's plan costs $1.6T a year

We're going to have to raise middle class taxes to deal with climate change but also no one wants to do that so we get these fantasies but...

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Clinton was hardly ever at 49+ in the RCP average, by the way - only in early-mid 2015 before the race had really started and again briefly in late March/early April 2016.

I would expect lower undecideds in most polls this year, and less third party voting in the end as well.
2016 taught me the lesson of undecideds. Meaning they are just republicans.

But I would THINK that because Sanders has higher net favorables, he might win undecideds in a way that Clinton lost them. BUTTTTT I don't know what his favorables will look like after six months of shitting on him.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Hypocritical or not for Sanders supporters to begin talking about people rallying behind him, it's still the right play.

Not that anyone can or should drop out before Super Tuesday (well unless Biden gets beaten next week, then he can drop out).

I've decided to put any and all feelings about 2016 behind me. If it was fine for Clinton to argue her opponents should drop out once it was clear they had no path, I see no reason to feel differently if Bernie is in that position making the same points.

The GOP playbook of making hypocrisy the worst sin anyone can commit is tired to me. Bernie is a hypocrite but I don't give two shits about it at this point.

If Warren falls in a couple of weeks as looks likely, (and I still hope she turns it around) then I'm fully behind Bernie. And a hypocrite is so much more preferable to Trump it's not even funny.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if I want moderators to ask Bernie if he has any plan to pay for his climate change plan because it's so terrible I kind of want it to be buried so no one remembers it....

www.theguardian.com

Sanders to unveil $16tn climate plan, far more aggressive than rivals' proposals

Democratic presidential hopeful’s 10-year plan warns of devastating economic consequences if crisis is not addressed

"
Sanders says the plan will pay for itself over 15 years, including by "making the fossil fuel industry pay for their pollution, through litigation, fees, and taxes, and eliminating federal fossil fuel subsidies". He wants to cut emissions made in the US as well as some produced in developing countries."

The total net worth of the oil industry is $1.7T

Bernie's plan costs $1.6T a year

We're going to have to raise middle class taxes to deal with climate change but also no one wants to do that so we get these fantasies but...

If there are any lessons to absorb from Trump, they are that A.) only winning matters, and B.) sweeping, impractical promises motivate voters more than achievable goals. Candidates are selling a dream, and solving climate change when it's already far too late is definitely a dream.

I've decided to put any and all feelings about 2016 behind me. If it was fine for Clinton to argue her opponents should drop out once it was clear they had no path, I see no reason to feel differently if Bernie is in that position making the same points.

It was so chickenshit of Bernie to stick around after he had no shot. I'd love to put that behind me, but god it reflects so poorly on him.

bluexy

Comics Enabler & Freelance Games Journalist
Verified
Oct 25, 2017

wild stuff. caucuses are extremely limited compared to primaries, but if hispanics turn out for sanders with this % of support in other states, it could genuinely rewrite the electoral map.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
2016 taught me the lesson of undecideds. Meaning they are just republicans.

But I would THINK that because Sanders has higher net favorables, he might win undecideds in a way that Clinton lost them. BUTTTTT I don't know what his favorables will look like after six months of shitting on him.

I'm still not at the "independents are all GOP voters" stage. The hatred for Hillary Clinton was out of control and drove a ton of people to the polls.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still not at the "independents are all GOP voters" stage. The hatred for Hillary Clinton was out of control and drove a ton of people to the polls.
I agree, not independents. Undecideds. If someone says they're undecided, it is because they are a) stupid and probably won't vote or b) a republican

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017

its fine imo if he's performing better in the cited polls than any of his competitors

Status
Not open for further replies.