• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, those hashtags torpedoed Pete's campaign!

I'm actually curious about the Bloomberg nonsense now. He has a terrible record on race, but is rapidly increasing his PoC share.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Negative generalizations surrounding race
I mean if older black people didn't care about superpredators and the Biden Crime Bill, I don't really know why people think stop-and-frisk is going to sway them.

This is probably one of those young liberal black voter who recognise these as racist failed policies vs older black conservative voters who probably agree in some manner with the above racist policies or statements.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Hey, those hashtags torpedoed Pete's campaign!

I'm actually curious about the Bloomberg nonsense now. He has a terrible record on race, but is rapidly increasing his PoC share.
As long as Biden continues to flounder, Bloomberg is going to continue to make inroads with minorities, despite his policies that directly have impacted minority communities.

Honestly, I feel like this will just outrage people that were already predisposed to dislike him for having the audacity to run.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I'm sure a fucking hashtag with it's 8k tweets will be real effective against hundreds of millions of dollars of television ads...
as sure as you were about the SOTU being a big deal?

but to be serious, this is the first time his record is being scrutinized - which will be important to stop him from closing off the black vote

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The problem with a Twitter hashtag campaign against Bloomberg is that the people most willing to be swayed by something like that probably weren't for him anyway.

I have zero faith in Twitter campaigns.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is kinda shitty that all four of the top white guys have pretty big marks against them on race.

Biden - crime bill, bussing
Bernie - crime bill
Pete - police chief and arrest count
Bloomberg - NYC plantation owner

But I guess the first three have shown at least some understanding of the issues they got wrong.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The most important part of this isn't the tweet campaign. It's the fact that the information is circulating. He will have to defend his record at some point, and it's almost certain that they'll question him on this on the debate stage.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Remember when twitter made a big deal about Pete's record on race and it was never brought up again no one wrote articles about it and nobody asked him about it at a debate

Mw7yGcs.gif

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I think Pete is playing an act to gain delegates. There's no way the son of a leftist who was close with Cornel West and wrote an essay about how much he admires Bernie Sanders is a neoliberal. He will ally with Bernie and Warren in a contested convention, go ahead and bookmark this post for when it happens.

Bernie+Pete+Warren will be enough to secure a majority of the delegates and win the nomination.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I think Bloomberg will absolutely get asked questions about his record on race. But, that would require him being put on a debate stage. The other campaigns don't seem to want that for cheap points.

thefro

Oct 25, 2017
I think Pete is playing an act to gain delegates. There's no way the son of a leftist who was close with Cornel West and wrote an essay about how much he admires Bernie Sanders is a neoliberal. He will ally with Bernie and Warren in a contested convention, go ahead and bookmark this post for when it happens.

Pete's more liberal than the average Dem. He just recognizes his lane in this primary isn't to tack to the left because Sanders and Warren are very strong there.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, the only people who considered Pete a neoliberal are those who don't know what a neoliberal is. A common mistake these days. He's your center-left guy, with some more radical thoughts on how to change the political constructs we operate within (filibuster, electoral college, court makeup).

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
No campaign really has a say. But, the second they started talking about allowing him on the stage, it was a bunch of "we can't allow someone to buy their way onto the debate" shots from the campaigns.

Just short-term thinking there.
Ah. Well, I certainly hope they ignore the naysayers. Bloomberg being on the stage shouldn't hurt them. Especially not if they take full advantage of the opportunity to hammer him from all directions. Then again, I'm not a campaign strategist, so maybe they're aware of something I'm not. The debate pile-on seemed effective against Pete, though.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't a story come out that Warren's campaign was pushing the DNC to allow him on stage?

Going down the rabbit hole, as that seemed like something that was done on background. In public it was the usual "buying the election" shit.

One thing I found interesting in an article, was https://www.boldprogressives.org/ .

Warren made a big deal about her and Amy not having PACs support them. I thought it was a silly argument, but it's odd there actually is one that is for her.

To give a point to my caveat, I found out about them in the article on Bloomberg/Warren at https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...ing-on-dnc-to-allow-bloomberg-to-join-debates

Finally, here is the campaign's "public" stance. https://www.vox.com/2020/2/1/211180...s-debate-rules-sanders-warren-biden-bloomberg

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
I'm sure the voters of South Carolina are rabidly vacuuming up MSNBC punditry.

Anyway, I'm not implying Bloomberg being racist can't become salient to older black voters, but the communication channels needed for it are completely different from some of those people on here use.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Some more polls:

morningconsult.com

2020 Democratic Primary

Bernie - 25
Biden - 22
Bloomberg - 17
Pete - 11
Warren - 11

Black voters:
Biden - 35
Bernie - 27
Bloomberg - 16
Warren - 8
Pete - 4

Hispanic voters:

Bernie - 38%
Biden - 17%
Bloomberg - 16

Poll for Independents:

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's insane to me that Bloomberg basically leapfrogged Warren in like 2 days and will probably leapfrog Biden when he gets blown out tonight.

Fuck this country Warren would be such a good president

Also jesus christ bloomberg is racist as fuck. No wonder America loves him

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

Looks like people with Sprint will be able to get service farther than 2 feet from the nearest cell tower.

In more serious news, fuck this merging and monopoly bullshit.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's insane to me that Bloomberg basically leapfrogged Warren in like 2 days and will probably leapfrog Biden when he gets blown out tonight

To be fair, Warren's campaign is (sadly) dead. She's basically still in due to donors. I think the interesting thing will be where her support goes. I don't think it goes to Bernie. All the folks that would, have already left.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
The whining about changing the rules for Bloomberg but not Booker, Castro, Harris, et al. seems to gloss over the specific fact that the rule being eliminated is donors. Booker didn't have a donor problem, he had a polling problem. All these other candidates who either missed the debate stage or were on track to miss it had more of an issue meeting the polling threshold than the donor threshold. And the simple unfortunate fact is Bloomberg's polls have quickly surpassed all these other candidates who dropped out.

I get that the optics of not changing the rules for candidates of color but doing so for the white male billionaire in the race are pretty bad. But changing the rule as the DNC has wouldn't have helped those other candidates, and allowing Bloomberg to go unchallenged by the rest of the field that does have to be held accountable in debates is not something the party should let continue. I would rather the DNC piss off Cory Booker than let Bloomberg get to Super Tuesday without once being called out on stage by Warren or Bernie.

Some more polls:

morningconsult.com

2020 Democratic Primary

Bernie - 25
Biden - 22
Bloomberg - 17
Pete - 11
Warren - 11

Black voters:
Biden - 35
Bernie - 27
Bloomberg - 16
Warren - 8
Pete - 4

Hispanic voters:

Bernie - 38%
Biden - 17%
Bloomberg - 16

Poll for Independents:

Those are all great numbers for Bernie. All show his electabiltiy headwinds aren't remotely set in stone.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
For all the phony talk about Klob and Butti momentum, Bloomberg has vaulted into third place and is going to be knocking on the door of second place soon

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017

Looks like people with Sprint will be able to get service farther than 2 feet from the nearest cell tower.

It's not a monopoly. It's just a merging of companies that drown out all competition making you rely on their service so they can charge any price they want!!!

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg is in a distant third, why is everyone panicking over him?

National polling seems to have him within striking distance off second and Biden is going to basically collapse after tonight

Also that breakdown of black support is probably all still young black voters going to Bernie. We will see how that stacks up in the south

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
To be fair, Warren's campaign is (sadly) dead. She's basically still in due to donors. I think the interesting thing will be where her support goes. I don't think it goes to Bernie. All the folks that would, have already left.
Not necessarily. I mean, I'm voting for Warren next month (provided she's still in the race by then) but my #2 choice would be Bernie.

Bloomberg is in a distant third, why is everyone panicking over him?
Bloomberg is in third without doing any kind of early-state campaigning or debates and showing up at the 11th hour with a blizzard of tv ads, and you're asking why people are panicking about him? lol. I think the results speak for themselves! If Bloomberg can jump into third place that quickly with that little effort, then I think it's worth being concerned about what his Super Tuesday showing -- in the states where he has been putting a ton of money into ads and staffers and organizing -- will look like.

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
That's where I'll end up. Not crazy about it, but if I'm honest about what's important to me, I'd be a hypocrite if I didn't move to Sanders when the time comes.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
T-mobile/Sprint merger will be at least a little interesting to watch from a tech perspective. GSM vs CDMA network integration. Hopefully destroying CDMA once and for all.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Looks like we're about to enter the "No, he's racist!" ad war between Trump and Bloomberg.

Bloomberg's ad team probably already working on it. Plenty of material to use.

UraMallas

Nov 1, 2017
United States
Bernie's problem isn't POC, it's older voters. Bernie's numbers with old voters is as bad as Biden's with young voters
Good point.
I think you are right but I'd like to know how he does in the states we need to win.
All I know is what I see in the Midwest and I think Bernie does good out here in places like WI and MI specifically. If he keeps that Latinx support, AZ could be in play, imo.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
T-mobile/Sprint merger will be at least a little interesting to watch from a tech perspective. GSM vs CDMA network integration. Hopefully destroying CDMA once and for all.

Finally, something we all can agree on.

I expect some fuckery in today's vote but I expect Bernie to walk away with the Granite State Trophy one more time. Then he can take 89 right back up to Burlington and put it next to the rest of his awards that don't matter.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA

I'm of two minds about this merger honestly.
On the one hand, all these damn mergers are getting on my nerves and are ultimately/typically not good for consumers.
On the other hand, I think that from a logical standpoint, Sprint has been treading water for fucking ages and hasn't even been close to competing with TMobile much less the big 2 for at least 10-15 years. Simply put, they're a joke and I'd rather T-Mobile get their spectrum and be better able to compete than AT&T/Verizon gobble it up in a spectrum sale.

Status
Not open for further replies.