• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is true. I think Biden has the chance of doing a bit better than Bernie on the presidential side if Biden gets his act together (unlikely), but Bernie has better downballot coattails because he's not campaigning on his ability to work with Republicans and likely does a better job turning out democratic voters.

I think Bernie is a better candidate for Georgia especially. Georgia has a very large age gap in voting, so Bernie turning out young folks goes a long way here. Georgia has two senate races up for grabs.
Bernie is a state heavily reliant on AA voters and Bernie's the worse of the two with that group by a mile.

Mar 15, 2019
Brazil
can someone help me, as a non-american who's very confused by this Iowa caucus: did Buttigieg actually won? is this confirmed by the DNC? because the media in my country is putting out news and profiles about Pete and talking about how it's a surprise and etc, but then i enter here and there was people talking about Bernie being tied or that actually he won over Pete, so i got really confused

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, yes, I want us to win as well! I'm just saying broader picture, if we win "by any means" and "who cares how" then it's just an indictment on our democracy and the country as a whole that it is beyond saving. Policies, ideology, governance, etc are all for naught then. And that's depressing to me!

This is not directed at you specifically, just generally at the concept.
Maybe if I put it this way it will give some comfort: if Bernie, Buttigieg, or Bloomberg beats back an authoritarian monster through the artful use of fat-shaming, it wouldn't even rank in the top-ten worst compromises the postwar Democratic Party ever made. In fact, we should carve those fucking fat jokes into the side of a mountain for future generations to soberly reflect upon as a warning to rightwing demagogues.

Last edited:

DTC

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie is a state heavily reliant on AA voters and Bernie's the worse of the two with that group by a mile.

I disagree. He's worse with the core electorate of black voters who will turn out for any democratic nominee (aside from maybe Pete), but he does better with the young black voters who feel disenchanted by current politics. The latter vote is a more important swing group (unfortunately).

FYI, I'm not biased here because I prefer Biden as a President 100x over Bernie. I can't stand Bernie at all. I am absolutely hating that I am saying Bernie is a better candidate than Biden, but it's important to look beyond your ideology and personal interests here. Biden's campaign is flailing hard, and he's not going to make it to November at his current pace. No one really believes in him. His general election polling numbers have been obliterated in the past year, and they're only going to keep going down because his support really isn't as strong as it seems.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
can someone help me, as a non-american who's very confused by this Iowa caucus: did Buttigieg actually won? is this confirmed by the DNC? because the media in my country is putting out news and profiles about Pete and talking about how it's a surprise and etc, but then i enter here and there was people talking about Bernie being tied or that actually he won over Pete, so i got really confused
It's a surprise in so that Pete over performed expectations. It's a virtual tie for SDEs.

That said there are at least 14 discrepancies in the data that the Sanders camp have pointed out which give him a 2.5 SDE gain which would put him over the top even on SDEs (currently the SDE difference is 1.5 with Pete on top). This would make Sanders the definitive winner of Iowa and he has claimed victory on this.

Bernie leads in total raw votes both for first votes, the 2nd allocation and final as well.

But all of this matters very little now... the damage has been done. Both Pete and Bernie got the surge in polls that was desired going into NH but the biggest story (aside from the debacle itself) is Biden under performing hard and he was the front runner of this race. So despite being a debacle the results ended up having their desired effects though a bit muffled.

NH is now the real starting battleground and whoever wins this will have momentum. Eyes on Sanders to hold the lead and Buttiegeg to cause an upset.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
The Sanders attacks were in regard to these ads apparently

Calling Sanders a "dark money" candidate is a weird jab at this point, especially coming from Pete.

Oct 27, 2017
Just got a text from Pete's campaign asking if I was gonna vote for him in our primary. I said no and that I was going for forma. Then he asked if Pete was in my top five. Pretty weird.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017

I forgot Booker had existed. I'd take him over Butti

I don't entirely get why people don't take DEVAL over Butti or Bidie or Bloomie. He has legit governing experience and isn't a ramshackle mess who's liable to croak or get me-too'ed at any moment.

I guess it's because no one knows he's running.

But in other words:

GIVE THE DEVAL HIS DUE
3372.jpg

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't entirely get why people don't take DEVAL over Butti or Bidie. He has legit experience and isn't a ramshackle mess who's liable to croak dor get me-too'ed at any moment.

I guess it's because no one knows he's running.

But in other words:

GIVE THE DEVAL HIS DUE
3372.jpg
Maybe don't enter into the race after 10 months and like 8 debates have already taken place?

No respect for later jumpers.

It's kinda funny how the moderate side of the Democrats are messing this up for themselves. This was such an easy path to nomination for them and people even want a moderate candidate .. yet now you got too many cooks in the kitchen and you got Mayo Pete eating Biden's lunch.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Steyer reportedly dropped enough money to account for roughly 40K a head per vote in Iowa. And he was below a % so imagine how little these late jumpers matter. No one cares about them and no one will.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

"We disagreed with a couple of minor policies; I won't put up with it for long, Thom Tillis," Trump says with a smile in NC. Tillis last year opposed Trump declaring a national emergency to pay for the border wall, then reversed his position and has been loyal to Trump ever since

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
It's confusing because the rules around the Iowa caucus don't make any reasonable sense and the result of decades of overly complex rules stacked on top of each other. The gist of it thought is that Bernie won the popular vote and Pete won the delegate allocation by a fraction of a point. You can mostly consider it a tie imo.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Maybe don't enter into the race after 10 months and like 8 debates have already taken place?

No respect for later jumpers.

It's kinda funny how the moderate side of the Democrats are messing this up for themselves. This was such an easy path to nomination for them and people even want a moderate candidate .. yet now you got too many cooks in the kitchen and you got Mayo Pete eating Biden's lunch.
Certainly form my twitter news feed he doesn't exist. Steyer barely does, and Bloomberg a little more than him.
Anyone who jumps into a 20 person race is obviously not fit to run a country.
I don't disagree, but I bet that most people in this thread would feel better about Deval as president than Mayor Pete or Bloomberg.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
It's confusing because the rules around the Iowa caucus don't make any reasonable sense and the result of decades of overly complex rules stacked on top of each other. The gist of it thought is that Bernie won the popular vote and Pete won the delegate allocation by a fraction of a point. You can mostly consider it a tie imo.

There's quite a few people still identifying enough SDE errors to make it so that it's a Sanders squeak win, but even so at this point I doubt it matters. NH debate is tonight and then the vote next week. We'll get results from Iowa soon enough but everyone's so confused that I can't imagine it impacts anymore than it already ha shuffled things about. Whatever chance at a massive impact Iowa had, they squandered it and continue to embarrass themselves to this day.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

BEN CARSON on Trump: "The people who drive the cars and park the cars at Mar-a-Lago -- they love him ... you know, people say he's a racist -- he is not a racist."

This is an official White House event paid for by taxpayers, so Trump is not supposed to be delivering a political speech, but here he is complaining about the "failed impeachment hoax" and praising Republicans for protecting him

Listen to this Trump rant while reminding yourself that this is ostensibly a speech about economics

"They walk in -- powerful people, big people -- and they're crying ... have you ever seen the Oval Office? ... and you see them start to cry -- tough people. They have not cried since they were a baby and some of them never cried at all."

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
I read this yesterday and wasn't sure what to make of it. I sure want to take comfort in the prediction that Dems are on track to keep the House, retake the White House, and potentially flip the Senate. On the other hand, her track record is extremely short and I think the other elections analysts interviewed for the piece raised reasonable doubts about her approach.
That was exactly my takeaway. She has a compelling argument, but so were the counter arguments. For all of the arguments over the quality of election analysis and prediction, I think there is an element to the whole thing that is more art than science. The data scientist may hate that idea, like she said she would be a shit scientist if she let a handful of anecdotal interviews sway her, but at some level you need to have your pulse on electorate in ways that the data can't capture. Sometimes the data can be pointing one way, but if you have your ear on the ground and your nose out of the books you can feel how the winds are blowing. In 2016, to me, it was increasingly clear that the winds were blowing at Trump's back. Nothing could sink him, his people were ride-or-die, and were feeding off the "us against the world" mentality. I couldn't quantify it, still can't, but it felt to me like there some sort of cosmic narrative was being set up and that we were crashing towards its shocking conclusion. I'm not saying that this un-quantifiable "gut feeling" is appropriate for science, but with politics being so deeply emotional I think data scientist are missing something intangible with their stone-cold approach to predicting outcomes.

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
If Sanders runs away with it in NH as he currently is in polling, I don't see how Pete continues on this 'next obama momentum' appeal. Guy is six feet under with literally anyone who isn't white. A lot of people were pinning their hopes and dreams on Iowa, now moving to NH with a much less clear narrative going into it. Good luck after that.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
I swear if Butt pulls ahead and the people who post #mayorcheat and snake don't vote for him I'm done with politics. I think it's trending Sanders - Biden - Butt but still...after Iowa I can't be confident on anything.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you know? Conservative men don't try. They eat nails for breakfast and all that bullshit toxic masculinity stuff.
"Sir, I've never cried in my life, not even as a baby. But when I heard what Shifty Schiff and Nasty Pelussi did to you, our greatest astronaut-president, I wept harder than Chuck Schumer begging AOC to let him keep his senate seat."

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@axios
The Trump campaign, borrowing tactics from dictators and demagogues abroad, is poised to spend $1 billion on "what could be the most extensive disinformation campaign in U.S. history" to sway the 2020 election, @mckaycoppins writes in the Atlantic.https://www.axios.com/trump-disinformation-atlantic-2020-election-6833af02-8a0e-49dc-aafe-6e6b60ac6d8d.html

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Shit like this alone should prove Trump is unfit for office and lead to impeachment. But here we are.
I remember the shit people gave Al Gore for his tall tails (and honestly he does have a problem) but Trump is like an entire new universe of dishonesty. He's physically incapable of telling any story without completely fabricating every aspect of it to make himself look better. I can't imagine how much time it would take a psychologist to accurately diagnose his many personality disorders.

Status
Not open for further replies.