• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

Having excoriated Congress for its failure to check the runaway executive branch, she then announced her vote to refuse to check the runaway executive branch. It was like a surgeon watching a patient bleed out on the table, while refusing to pick up a scalpel, while also blaming the concept of surgery.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I'm pretty sure Bernie's strategy is win with 30% of the vote. (Ie the Trump strategy). The issue is, proportional allocation means he's never going to get close to a majority of pledged delegates. His best bet is a fractured field where he can go to the convention with the most delegates (but nowhere near an overall majority) and then pretty much dare the superdelegates not to give it to him. It would be the ultimate irony, not gonna lie.

The biggest issue is that there needs to be some states he wins by more than 2-4 points. Like, NH is probably his best state, second only to Vermont. He's still polling in that 20-25% bracket. Winning a state by 3 points in a field with multiple viable candidates is not good for margins. Like, if the current NH average holds, he's going to get maybe 5 more delegates than Biden and Pete.

The other issue is, even as people drop out....Bernie is not killing it in second choice. Like, if you look at first round vs second round in Iowa, he did the worst of the top three in that metric. By a lot. He got screwed out of so many delegates in some caucuses because he could only pick up 1 or 2 extra people, where Pete and Warren were getting 20-30. Part of Warrens support will go to Bernie should she eventually drop out.....but not all of it. Pete hurt Warren, and Warren hurt Pete. Pete does really well with college educated whites, as does Warren. Plus, when Amy drops out, I would venture a bulk of that support (like we saw in Iowa) is going to go to Pete.

Of course, a pretty freaking hilarious scenario is Sanders going into the convention with 30%, Bloomberg with 30% and Pete with 20%. At that point, the establishment wouldn't take it from Bernie, but I bet your bottom dollar they'd force him into a consensus Veep selection (such as Pete.) The meltdowns would be epic.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Of course, a pretty freaking hilarious scenario is Sanders going into the convention with 30%, Bloomberg with 30% and Pete with 20%. At that point, the establishment wouldn't take it from Bernie, but I bet your bottom dollar they'd force him into a consensus Veep selection (such as Pete.) The meltdowns would be epic.
I think as long as Sanders is the top dog, most of his supporters wouldn't complain, or they'd get over it. Any grievances they'd have against his potential compromise VP picks would instantly go away.

I mean just look at all the people suggesting Sanders-Harris. Immediate 95% reduction in "Kamala's a cop" talking points on Rose Twitter, I guarantee you. There would still be a few, and those would probably exclusively be the professional shitposters who would still somehow spin getting their way as a travesty and DNC corruption, rigged, yadda yadda.

I've long felt there's a not-insignificant number of online Bernie-or-Busters who'd still find a way to weasel out of voting for the nominee even if they got their guy because they can't just be happy with anything, but I'm also not petty enough to assume that's any significant chunk of his base.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I think Sinema is just genuinely a centrist and her vote to acquit or convict Trump is not to be based on any calculation about how this will look to voters in four years.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
(Be careful with the "Venezuelan people need to see the truth" line. Please understand that latin american politics isnt just something you can "get" by reading a few articles or doing some basic exploration of the issues. This is very complex and if Maduro is in power right now its not because "venezuelan people dont see it".)

What do you suggest for getting Maduro out of power?

That's not what I meant, clearly. Venezuelan people need to see the United States supports them; this was done by the entire audience standing and clapping Guaido as the face of the opposition. I didn't just "get" the situation from reading a few articles. Thanks for the condescension, tho, Christ.

It isn't complex. Maduro needs to get out. Guiado is the best chance of this happening. This isn't about me positing the schema for change for Venezuela. This is about your drags on Pelosi for showing support for the opposition in Venezuela.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Oct 27, 2017
Bravo Jones, that was a great speech with an analogy even the most plain person can understand: basically like a jigsaw puzzle you may do at home, you might be missing a few pieces but you can see what the picture is about with the pieces you have already assembled. Yet you still want those missing pieces in order to have the full picture. In terms of not having all the witnesses/documents, he says there's still enough pieces to assemble the picture, and the picture shows he must convict.

The statement he posted on the Senate web site doesn't include the best parts of his speech, when it gets put up in full it's worth the watch.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
All the Bernie people rushing to tut-tut everyone about Pelosi is such a microcosm for his whole campaign. Cheering on Pelosi is not an endorsement of every position she's ever taken, people are just tired of being gaslit about how everything is normal and it's satisfying to see a politician say no, this shit is not normal. The Bernie people always do this weird thing where anytime people get excited about someone that's not Bernie they have to swoop in to patronizingly explain Actually This Person Is Bad And So Are You. They can't just cheer along with other Dems because they think the people who like Nancy Pelosi are bad people.

Kind of speaks to a larger problem where Bernie and his supporters are vying for the nomination of a party they don't like, and whose mainstream supporters they very transparently think are stupid and ignorant. There is really no attempt at outreach or recognition that winning the nomination and GE requires millions of people who voted for Clinton and/or actually like politicians like Pelosi to vote for Sanders. There is kind of this attitude that those people are just neoliberal ghouls who will be out represented by the RealPeople anyway, and that people who can't see why they should support Bernie are just bad people who should be ignored. Not exactly a great way to build a coalition. Of course I will vote and campaign for whoever, but I really worry about Bernie getting the nom.

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
So the question is do Amy, Biden, and Warren have enough resources to go past Nevada without a first or second place win to truly compete? I bet Bloomberg is betting heavily on no. I would say the same about Butti but he has enthralled some wealthy donors; I just don't see him picking up anything on Super Tuesday.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
So the question is do Amy, Biden, and Warren have enough resources to go past Nevada without a first or second place win to truly compete? I bet Bloomberg is betting heavily on no. I would say the same about Butti but he has enthralled some wealthy donors; I just don't see him picking up anything on Super Tuesday.

Amy: Noooooooooooooope
Warren: Yes but if that's the case, she's out after Super Tuesday
Biden: He's in it until it's impossible to win

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
RI Governor Gina Raimondo has endorsed Bloombito because... who gives a fuck she's consistently one of the top 5 least popular Governors and still keeps getting elected.

Man I wish we could just run Generic Dem.

Dude is auditioning for the AG seat. He'll be great.

He has a pretty solid track record as a US attorney in Alabama, from all I've read.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

EQBtaogXkAI6Wai

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
Amy: Noooooooooooooope
Warren: Yes but if that's the case, she's out after Super Tuesday
Biden: He's in it until it's impossible to win
Sounded like on Morning Joe this morning that Biden may have significant donor issues though, so yes he can stay in on name only but won't have great organization going forward without money, which in my mind is a continuous loss of support.

I know Bloomberg being a Billionaire plays right into Bernie's message but at the same time he would be a substantial threat if the other three or four truly start to fall by Super Tuesday for gathering votes. And if Bloomberg's plan/money work, he'll look like a genius for all the pundits!

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
I wonder if there has been any push from the party to broach the possibility of dropping out to Biden. If he doesn't bounce back soon I'd think Obama at the very least would talk to him about it.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Sounded like on Morning Joe this morning that Biden may have significant donor issues though, so yes he can stay in on name only but won't have great organization going forward without money, which in my mind is a continuous loss of support.

I know Bloomberg being a Billionaire plays right into Bernie's message but at the same time he would be a substantial threat if the other three or four truly start to fall by Super Tuesday for gathering voters. And if Bloomberg's plan/money work, he'll look like a genius for all the pundits!

Also.... I don't think people actually hate billionaires.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Shaun King sucks and stole money from black organizers so you probably shouldn't post him. But SC will be very interesting.
Well that (and Shaun King) sucks.

I wonder if there has been any push from the party to broach the possibility of dropping out to Biden. If he doesn't bounce back soon I'd think Obama at the very least would talk to him about it.
To say that Democrats have been nervous about Biden since this whole thing started would be an understatement.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Apparently, TenCent briefly updated their website to show the real Coronavirus figures, which are about 10x higher than the "official" numbers, which I'm sure few people believe anyway.

Considering what a few people on the ground in China have been posting (that there seems to be way more infrastructure being built and measures be implemented for just 500 deaths), I would not be surprised if these were the actual numbers.

They're locking down cities that aren't even close to Wuhan. Shits way worse than they've been saying.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

Donald Trump's 3rd State of the Union Tumbles in Broadcast TV Ratings

"Ellen's Game of Games" at 8 p.m. posted a 1.0/5 and 5 million viewers. At 9, the Trump address pulled in a 0.9/4 and and 4.4 million viewers." 🤷‍♂️🤷‍♂️

The highest ratings.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Weird part is that more people watched on NBC than FOX.

27% drop off from last one I LOL'D! If Trump wasn't being crowned a king today then he would be having a pretty awful day between low TV ratings and Pelosi ripping his speech.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Weird part is that more people watched on NBC than FOX.

27% drop off from last one I LOL'D! If Trump wasn't being crowned a king today then he would be having a pretty awful day between low TV ratings and Pelosi ripping his speech.
Well, at least Susan Collins will have an awful day even if she convinces herself otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.