• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
It is really bizarre considering the narrative prior to this was that this will likely be an extremely high turnout election. This is still just one state though - if the numbers are low after Super Tuesday I will start to worry.
It's also a caucus versus a primary. It's always bound to be wonky.

LegendofJoe

Oct 28, 2017
Arkansas, USA
Funnily enough, I am actually in the process of testing the coding for a program my company runs for the state of Iowa this morning. It has nothing to do with the caucus, but it is strangely ironic.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
That Gallup poll seems way too rosy, especially with a majority of the country supposedly having a favorable opinion of the Republican Party. Like... no. That is not a result that's ever been replicated anywhere else in polling.

Healthy reminder that Gallup stopped polling presidential horse races after they whiffed hard in 2012 and kept showing Romney with a popular vote lead. He was up by like 7 points with them at one point!

maabus1999

Oct 26, 2017
This is imo the worst thing to come out of last night -- the most baffling and the most worrying:

@NateSilver538
https://twitter.com/NateSilver538

I feel like turnout being rather low in Iowa is a theme of underrated importance.

I believe using any state that uses cacusus' for turn out discussion is a foolish endeavor. It's very nature suppresses turn out for a lot of people, even those who may be motivated for a candidate. New Hampshire may be a more interesting data point.

Nov 20, 2017
The energy in this thread and elsewhere online is so weird. You'd have thought GE2020 already happened with a landslide loss.

Re: Iowa turnout, people are also forgetting the change to caucus rules which would also disproportionately hurt Biden supporters?

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
From WaPo:

Ernst, Grassley defend Iowa's first-in-the-nation status
Iowa's Republican senators, Charles E. Grassley and Joni Ernst, and its Republican governor Kim Reynolds, defended the state's caucus system.
"Iowa's unique role encourages a grassroots nominating process that empowers everyday Americans, not Washington insiders or powerful billionaires. The face-to-face retail politics nature of Iowa's caucus system also encourages dialogue between candidates and voters that makes our presidential candidates accountable for the positions they take and the records they hold," the statement said.
Grassley, Ernst and Reynolds's statement also said Iowa's first-in-the-nation status "has the full backing of President Trump."

Lol

And I thought you guys were over freaking out about individual polls.

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Dems make convincing case in front of the Senate that Trump was indeed guilty of what he is accused of and even some Republicans are finally admitting it.

Yet his approvals are UP?

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
It's not true that Iowa doesn't matter...the momentum and narrative that comes out of Iowa makes a huge difference. Kerry and Obama's fortunes were owed to Iowa. The 2016 caucus results ended up portending bitter tensions between the Hillary and Bernie camps. If this caucus didn't matter, campaigns wouldn't be spending months of time and millions of dollars concentrating on it in the first place.

Meh, I'm not sure it matters outside of it being the first contest and therefore will drive narratives. This same affect would be transferred to any other state that goes first. It's a purely media narrative effect that has nothing to do with the state or the method of the selection itself.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I'm actually more irritated by Trump jumping in to lick the balls of Iowa's first in the nation status than I am by all the fuck ups last night.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018

Ugh, I hate that social media insincerity. If that were genuine, it would be a private message to Rush. Instead, like so many other examples, it's just tossed out into the ether, it's more important that people see you did it than the intended recipient actually get it. The platform even allows for @ but she doesn't bother. It's like something 12 year olds do. "Tell Darren...", "He's not here, tell him yourself later.", "Tell Darren..."

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Great job blaming Iowa for our own incompetence, saying the state sucks, when we desperately need to try an oust Ernst

what the fuck

Bigg

Oct 25, 2017
Dems make convincing case in front of the Senate that Trump was indeed guilty of what he is accused of and even some Republicans are finally admitting it.

No witnesses and swift acquittal. A temporary bump after that is kind of inevitable.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Cause if it's total, is Iowa losing pop like a lot of other states?

Two things -

1. Exceedingly few states are actually losing population. Since 2010, only 4 states have declined - West Virginia, Illinois, Connecticut, and Vermont. Two territories also did - Puerto Rico (for obvious reasons) and the Virgin Islands.

2. Iowa is literally almost dead center for population growth since 2010. At 3.6%, their population growth is 24th of 50. They obviously aren't seeing the explosive growth rates of Texas or Florida or...Utah (biggest percentage gain for the decade!), but they are well above replacement rate.

Oct 25, 2017

People don't give a shit. They will excuse corruption for a good economy. And yes I know the economy is shit for anyone dealing with student loans, but the votes of under-35s are not as big.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Meh, I'm not sure it matters outside of it being the first contest and therefore will drive narratives. This same affect would be transferred to any other state that goes first. It's a purely media narrative effect that has nothing to do with the state or the method of the selection itself.
But the bolded is exactly why it matters!

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
I personally think that we are being delusional to think that trump wont get reelected. As long as the economy doesn't fall into a recession nobody can touch him, especially after all these mistakes, both planned and unplanned, only help him grow stronger.

For example I approved of impeachment and still do but it would be wrong for us to ignore the fact that trump being acquitted will only empower him to do worst things. He started this just the day after the Mueller report came out for fuck's sake.

Not saying that we shouldnt bother, we really should still try but we also need to figure out an alternative.

Oct 27, 2017
Great job blaming Iowa for our own incompetence, saying the state sucks, when we desperately need to try an oust Ernst

what the fuck
People say the very same thing about Florida when there are snafus related to Democratic races there. Sometimes it is state/local.

Steyer saying the race is wide open and anything can happen. Meanwhile he's still in Iowa. Not like this, Steyer.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017

With the constant lies of the defense team and no witnesses, Trump hasn't been able to kick himself in the balls more than usual lately.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Mark Knoller @markknoller

.@PressSec does not think Pres Trump will being up impeachment in his State of the Union tonight. She thinks the American people "are frankly bored of it." Interviewed on @FoxNews this morning, she said people want to hear what he's done and is planning to do for the country.​

10:01 AM - Feb 4, 2020

Almost noon and not a single result l o l
>

Tyler Pager @tylerpager

NEXT STEPS: The Iowa Democratic Party has scheduled a call with campaigns at 11 am central time. Campaigns are not expecting to get results but they are hoping for a timeline.

9:36 AM - Feb 4, 2020

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
latest

Chaos control indeed...

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
I always have to remind myself that Trump won by razor thin margins in 2016 in just a few states. By the time November rolls around he'll have 4 years of chaos and incompetence saddled on his back to go with the criminality and racism. He's not a blank slate like he was then. I think to myself, "surely it will be nearly impossible for him to replicate that as hated as he is?"

But hey, the DOW is at record highs and the wealthy are getting wealthier so I guess none of the bad shit may matter.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Manu Raju @mkraju

Durbin told me doesn't know if Ds will be united on conviction. "I don't know the answer." He said Schumer is in touch with the three Dem senators who are on the fence but said Schumer isn't pressuring them. He said pressuring them is not possible on a vote "of this magnitude"​

10:07 AM - Feb 4, 2020

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@kylegriffin1
Calling McConnell a "wholly owned subsidiary of the White House," and Trump his "puppeteer," Pelosi said Trump had tarnished the Senate.

She lapsed into a tough-guy cadence: "You don't even have a choice, you ain't gonna hear no witnesses, you ain't gonna see no documentation." https://twitter.com/kylegriffin1/status/1224710604633575430
Kyle Griffin

@kylegriffin1
"I think that we have pulled back a veil of behavior totally unacceptable to our founders, and that the public will see this with a clearer eye, an unblurred eye," Pelosi said of Trump, adding: "Whatever happens, he has been impeached forever."https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/03/us/politics/pelosi-impeachment.html

10:15 - 4 Feb 2020

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
I always have to remind myself that Trump won by razor thin margins in 2016 in just a few states. By the time November rolls around he'll have 4 years of chaos and incompetence saddled on his back to go with the criminality and racism. He's not a blank slate like he was then. I think to myself, "surely it will be nearly impossible for him to replicate that as hated as he is?"

But hey, the DOW is at record highs and the wealthy are getting wealthier so I guess none of the bad shit may matter.

I'm starting to think he won't just win but will carry more states than in 2016 as well because "economy and Democrats are mean"

Status
Not open for further replies.