• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
So every campaign has more or less confirmed independently w/ their own numbers that Biden absolutely flopped, and the overall turnout numbers were as low or lower than 2016. Bernie has to deliver on expanding the overall base of support, because he will be super mega ultra toxic to some of the swing voters we won in 2018.
no one has actually said that about turnout because no one actually knows what the turnout is. The IDP said it was "on pace" for turnout akin to 2016. Pete thought it would be around there. Bernie's numbers looked significantly higher than 2016.

everyone chill until we actually have data and not vague estimates.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a caucus with a window of a couple of hours to participate in the evening, never ideal for turnout. Those campaigns that organize locally to hell and back can be rewarded with populations of supporters present. They also changed a rule such that if your candidate was viable in the first round, you couldn't reallocate yourself in the second round. Was supposed to "save time" but it prevented outsized winners in some cases, and in other cases enabled candidates to "loan out" supporters to other candidates such that they would all be viable and all be assured of splitting the local delegate awards. And in yet other cases people just went home after the first round, not choosing to bolster another candidate.

Iowa was never going to be the state for any campaign to declare that they'll soundly beat Trump.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Honestly a lot rides on how close the top 4 are to one another--with the prevailing speculation that Warren is in third, it makes sense for her campaign to state the gap between third and fourth is huge, but that could mean a lot.

These results mostly seem good only if you're Pete or Klobuchar, since you're outperforming expectations. Warren did better than I expected, but I've already resigned myself to not getting her and it's not good enough to make he a forerunner or reverse the spiral she's been in. Sanders kind of wanted a decisive victory here since it's the setup most favorable to him and it could have established his narrative pretty strongly, but if he's close to the others... It's not bad-bad for him, but it's not as good as what was expected.

Biden in fourth or fifth is bad, but his campaign has he opportunity to recover if they address it. That placement would have ended a lot of others, but the weird situation we're in lets him try to pull it out later, I think.

Maybe the spread will differ from my expectation but this seems like an insane and largely rough night.
Right, I'm mostly going off the 3 sources I have seen so far. The crowd sourced spreadsheet, Bernie's internal polling and that tweet. The first two have Biden trailing by a lot. Like 9-12% or more. The tweet only states that Biden is ways behind, but doesn't give us a clear picture.

The problem for Biden, in my opinion, is how striking his under-performance is. I went in expecting Biden to come in 2nd or 3rd. But I expected it to be mostly close. On CNN, MSNBC, CBS and so on, Biden was also being talked up as a frontrunner in Iowa. So now we come out of Iowa with Biden potentially being 4th (or 5th), where he should have been 2nd or 3rd, with a massive difference between 3rd and 4th, where it should have been close. Biden cannot ride on 'electability' the same way he has up until now, and he cannot make a case of the results being very close (and that any one thing could have altered the end result).

Biden is the clearest loser of the day (assuming the snapshot is accurate), because this result contradicts the primary selling point we've been told Biden has. Warren, Buttigieg and Klobuchar over-performed by contrast. Thing is, I don't see this really helping Klobuchar, specifically, whereas it definitely helps Buttigieg.

And should Sanders end up winning Iowa, he'll be the big winner with New Hampshire coming up, because he's probably running away with it there. In the end, Iowa helps Sanders the most (if he wins), especially so if Pete comes in 2nd or 3rd (it's hard to tell who's leading between Sanders, Warren and Pete). And it damages Biden's campaign considerably.

Last edited:

Blackflag

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Absolute shitshow, Iowa caucuses are already crap for accessibility, the clusterfuck of tonight makes me hope people reconsider it and the position of Iowa going first because of sheer happenstance back during the rule change. Absolutely disgusting show. For a state that huffs its own god damn farts over its place in the election this is inexcusable.

I feel like they've been looking for a way to get it out of Iowa's hands anyway but no one wanted to fuck up the status quo. This is enough of a colossal fuckup that I'd be surprised if they didn't pull it or at least discuss it seriously.

Ayahuasca

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Gotta love 24 people voting for 5 delegates and 535 voting for 8. Allocation is straight up juiced from the start.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
it may be time for Barry to call up his best friend Joe and tell him that the writing is on the wall

Oct 25, 2017
This field sucks. And honestly we wouldn't be saying this if Biden was sensible enough to realize his time was up or if white people didn't cling themselves to freakin Pete

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
it may be time for Barry to call up his best friend Joe and tell him that the writing is on the wall

So much of the influential members of the party stayed on the sidelines so far. I think that's reasonable for Iowa/NH but at some point the party needs to know which candidate the rest of the party's elected officials feel like they can work with to accomplish their own goals.

Oct 25, 2017
This primary turned to shit as soon as white people decided Pete was gonna be the dark horse, and not Beto/Kamala. The field is weaker without them. I mean if Biden collapses we're looking at Bernie vs.....Bloomberg? Jesus.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
I'm just expecting a result where nobody is happy
lead_720_405.jpg

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Primary went to shit as soon as the olds took over. After all this time turns out Biden was a much weaker frontrunner than Hillary and after watching him, he is also a much worse campaigner.

Dec 31, 2017
Brah what did I wake up to. Someone please succinctly explain what the confusion is about. Is the data just not tallied?

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Brah what did I wake up to. Someone please succinctly explain what the confusion is about.
There were communication problems, so the results cannot be released yet. It will come out some time on Tuesday. Two campaigns have released internal results, Bernie releasing the results as at 40% counted and Buttigieg claiming victory at 77% counted. A few other snapshots have come out. This spreadsheet and a tweet from Warren's whoever.

Thanks to these three sources, we have a rough idea of what happened, but we cannot really be certain. Take note that none of the sources are at 100% counted. The spreadsheet only has a small portion of the total provided.

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
So I believe that the DNC coordinated with (((George soros))) and Michael ((((((Bloomberg)))))))))) to steal the election after it looked like record turnout would give Bernie Sanders a smashing victory. Basically the lead app developer behind the app, huma abedin, rerouted all power from the app to her WoW vanilla server during the second caucus count which caused all of the Bernie votes to be deleted and all of the other votes to go to DNC establishment favorite...Peter buttigieg. Then after this happened there was darkness as Chaos escaped from Valhalla after neera tanden posted something bad about Bernie on twitter AND THEN there was a plague of locusts.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
So I believe that the DNC coordinated with (((George soros))) and Michael ((((((Bloomberg)))))))))) to steal the election after it looked like record turnout would give Bernie Sanders a smashing victory. Basically the lead app developer behind the app, huma abedin, rerouted all power from the app to her WoW vanilla server during the second caucus count which caused all of the Bernie votes to be deleted and all of the other votes to go to DNC establishment favorite...Peter buttigieg. Then after this happened there was darkness as Chaos escaped from Valhalla after neera tanden posted something bad about Bernie on twitter AND THEN there was a plague of locusts.
this totally catches me up thank you

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not surprising. Look at what they did to the Seltzer poll.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Christ, still no results? And NYT actually took down the numbers they had?

This should be a game changing embarrassment for the Iowa state party and the caucus in general. A year of campaigning for this fucking state and they've ruined any tailwinds any candidate might get out of it. And not just terrible to the candidates but to the voters and volunteers and staffers too.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Christ, still no results? And NYT actually took down the numbers they had?

This should be a game changing embarrassment for the Iowa state party and the caucus in general. A year of campaigning for this fucking state and they've ruined any tailwinds any candidate might get out of it. And not just terrible to the candidates but to the voters and volunteers and staffers too.

So, something good might come of it!

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
Don't get too caught up with the voter turnout number. You have to be sadistic to participate in a caucus.

It's like playing a game of Clue, Checkers, Sorry, on a Scrabble score board, with the Monopoly banker taking score.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
I hope this SNAFU end the caucus.

I'll just wait patiently for official results before drawing conclusions.

konka

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody cares about Iowa anymore. Time to let it go. The results won't provide anyone a bump after that mess.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
If this removes stupid Iowa as the #1 state for the democratic primary it will have been worth it

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure. I'm mainly annoyed at Bernie and Pete's campaigns for releasing internal stuff. It's so irresponsible

So, something good might come of it!

This is actually great news. Iowa will be removed as the first state and also fuck caucus'.

The changes going forward ought to be -

1. Iowa doesn't go first, or only does so as a collection of states

2. Caucuses fully replaced by paper ballot primaries, ranked-choice if you want to retain a caucus-like structure

3. Campaigns need to be forbidden from commenting on the proceedings until results are certified. Sanders and Pete's campaigns posting partial results, unverified, is hideously irresponsible.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
The changes going forward ought to be -

1. Iowa doesn't go first, or only does so as a collection of states

2. Caucuses fully replaced by paper ballot primaries, ranked-choice if you want to retain a caucus-like structure

3. Campaigns need to be forbidden from commenting on the proceedings until results are certified. Sanders and Pete's campaigns posting partial results, unverified, is hideously irresponsible.

This is good. Pls fwd to DNC

Y2Kev

Oct 25, 2017
Why is it irresponsible? Are people still caucusing at 2am? Who cares about this other than junkies, haters, and losers? / trump

Status
Not open for further replies.