• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
So each and every caucus generates delegates and those are added up to determine who "wins"?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018

More like Problem Starters Caucus

0d60f2e83d756d3cd56afc263fe31535.jpg

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really care much for Klob but I honestly think against Trump she would win fairly decisively, at least better margins than Warren.

That said this satellite Florida/Iowa caucus shit can't make my eyes roll harder. Bunch of old folks not even in the state trying to get in on the action.

Oct 27, 2017
Weaver was terrible in interviews this morning, and hasn't changed in 4 years. Every person who supports Sanders should be concerned, campaigns can and do sink candidates.

As for 2022 backlash, Sanders' 2022 backlash could occur in 2020 instead, if no one learns from 2016. Should he be running away with the majority of delegates, it will be up to his campaign to head this off well before the convention, and as early as before Super Tuesday. Speaking only to "voting for the eventual nominee" will not be sufficient enough of an effort.

And they will need to do two things IMO: a) declare victory in "our revolution" (platform in 2016, establishment power tamped down in 2020) and b) convert to "our unity" before the establishment remnants try to make the general election, say, a battle of billionaires or outright hand it to one.

At the same time, it would be the most "extreme vetting" cycle of Sanders' life. His campaign and congressional boosters, other than swatting down twitter flies, are untested in this area. Does the Sanders campaign have it in them to handle this? Not even the campaign of a highly qualified candidate, with all the establishment behind her, could overcome public opinion and the selective wielding of institutional prerogatives in 2016.

If there is any consolation here, Biden campaign has all the same problems and concerns. Moreover, both campaigns need to express a burning desire to want the Senate for Democrats, like *looks at watch* right now.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Also he will be doing worse once the Florida numbers get added. From what I can gather all the satellite caucuses will be combined and then awarded.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
What does censure imply? Is that the same as preventing him from being on a future ballot? Or is it censure in that traditional "reprimand" with no consequences sense.
It's a public reprimand. Andrew Jackson is the only other President to get censured (articles have been introduced on others) so it's still a big deal (it'll go on his permanent record!) even it's mostly symbolic.

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
What does censure imply? Is that the same as preventing him from being on a future ballot? Or is it censure in that traditional "reprimand" with no consequences sense.
Basically gets called out for it and he'll be one of the very few POTUS' with such a slap on the wrist.
Which means if it does happen he'll lose his mind cuz Obama never got one.

TheFatOne

Oct 27, 2017
Weaver was terrible in interviews this morning, and hasn't changed in 4 years. Every person who supports Sanders should be concerned, campaigns can and do sink candidates.

As for 2022 backlash, Sanders' 2022 backlash could occur in 2020 instead, if no one learns from 2016. Should he be running away with the majority of delegates, it will be up to his campaign to head this off well before the convention, and as early as before Super Tuesday. Speaking only to "voting for the eventual nominee" will not be sufficient enough of an effort.

And they will need to do two things IMO: a) declare victory in "our revolution" (platform in 2016, establishment power tamped down in 2020) and b) convert to "our unity" before the establishment remnants try to make the general election, say, a battle of billionaires or outright hand it to one.

At the same time, it would be the most "extreme vetting" cycle of Sanders' life. His campaign and congressional boosters, other than swatting down twitter flies, are untested in this area. Does the Sanders campaign have it in them to handle this? Not even the campaign of a highly qualified candidate, with all the establishment behind her, could overcome public opinion and the selective wielding of institutional prerogatives in 2016.

If there is any consolation here, Biden campaign has all the same problems and concerns. Moreover, both campaigns need to express a burning desire to want the Senate for Democrats, like *looks at watch* right now.
One of my biggest complaints from 2016 was Weaver. He's absolute dogshit, and has no business being apart of any campaign. The fact that he's hanging around, and still has sway with Sanders is a serious problem. Sanders is loyal to the wrong people, and that can sink him. It's my biggest issue with Sanders, and why I prefer Warren over him.

May 26, 2018
One of my biggest complaints from 2016 was Weaver. He's absolute dogshit, and has no business being apart of any campaign. The fact that he's hanging around, and still has sway with Sanders is a serious problem. Sanders is loyal to the wrong people, and that can sink him. It's my biggest issue with Sanders, and why I prefer Warren over him.

Yeah. Warren would put in good people, odds are. I can't help but feel Sanders would put in people for the wrong reasons, and they'd end up compromised by third parties.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Remember when the so-called "Conservative Squad"? Remember when it was to be hyped up as the big counterweight to the other more successful Squad? well...

New from me: Remember the Conservative Squad? They're getting lapped in fundraising by the Progressive Squad and the four GOP women only raised $3,000 each off a joint fundraising committee after their expensive trip to NYC for Fox & Friends https://nationaljournal.com/s/704355/quick-takes-on-the-news-conservative-squad-fundraising-doesnt-live-up-to-its-hype?

Here's what we're looking at from last quarter from each group's individual fundraising. AOC is head and shoulders above everyone in individual fundraising.
EP4jgAyUUAIoEPc

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
You have about 87% of the olds going for moderate candidates. If that is even remotely close to other caucus sites......

I'm not sure we can extrapolate anything from these weird satellite caucuses... I think someone mentioned this on an earlier page:

Some of y'all are gonna lose it by 8pm. It's a satellite caucus of 14 people. Trying to extrapolate anything from that is....a choice.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
Remember when the so-called "Conservative Squad"? Remember when it was to be hyped up as the big counterweight to the other more successful Squad? well...

it certainly helps that no one on the left knows or cares who they are, versus the Squad getting nonstop free press from every outlet everytime they breathe

Casa

Oct 25, 2017
Wish I could get as excited about a potential Bernie candidacy as so many Era posters are. There are a handful of "purple" states that even a moderate like Biden who is tailor made for places like that will struggle to beat Trump. The thought of a state like Florida for instance even being competitive with Bernie as the nom seems fanciful. And then there's WI, PA, and MI where people will fall for the Red Scare tactics hook, line, and sinker.

I'll fucking panic if Bernie wins the nom. Not because of Bernie himself being a poor candidate, but because I don't trust voters in the only states that actually matter.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I'm not sure we can extrapolate anything from these weird satellite caucuses... I think someone mentioned this on an earlier page:
That's actually why I said IF that was the case. It's in line with polling, but ya, no, you can't make any definitive declarations from anything. What is interesting about the Florida result is that it IS incredibly monolithic, in that it lets us see how maybe voters 60+ are going to vote. With 58% of 2016's electorate being over 50, I don't know how Warren or Bernie could survive getting bodied that badly with older voters. it's all a thought exercise though.

In case anyone wants those raw vote totals that we have, i did them to add the Florida numbers. (I just assumed Warren is viable even though she's not because we don't know her 8 voters will re-allocate, but it's not that important since none of this matters)

Klob.....53 votes......27%
Butt......45 votes......23%
Biden....37 votes.....19%
Bernie...34 votes.....17%
Warren..27 votes....14%

Last edited:

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Well I'm not going to put much stock in the Florida caucus right now because it also implies Klobuchar will win outright and I don't want to live in that world.

BigWeather

Nov 4, 2017
Wish I could get as excited about a potential Bernie candidacy as so many Era posters are. There are a handful of "purple" states that even a moderate like Biden who is tailor made for places like that will struggle to beat Trump. The thought of a state like Florida for instance even being competitive with Bernie as the nom seems fanciful. And then there's WI, PA, and MI where people will fall for the Red Scare tactics hook, line, and sinker.

I'll fucking panic if Bernie wins the nom. Not because of Bernie himself being a poor candidate, but because I don't trust voters in the only states that actually matter.
Yeah, there's nearly zero chance of NC going blue with a Bernie nomination. It may even hurt down ballot enough to re-elect Tillis. Whatever happens, though, I hope we keep Cooper.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

Yeah, I think a bunch of our more leftist friends are totally unaware of how much the 2016 & 2020 primaries have been relatively clean, compared to a general election campaign, and frankly, how little the average American knows about Bernie. They can make jokes about "all these GOP ads make Bernie look awesome" all they want, and Bernie might even win against a Republican onslaught, but this Twitter myth he's already been vetted is absolutely false.

I agree Biden could also be just as bad, but Kirb's also pointed to polling where Biden still wins votes who dislike both him and Trump, so it might not be as bad.

metalslimer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yep I feel like the senate is virtually impoasible in a Bernie nom even if I think he has a decent chance of actually winning himself. And I would take Biden with a dem senate over Bernie with only the house any day. Of course no matter who wins I will work my ass off to try and help get them elected.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Manchin will vote for acquittal on the verbal promise of a vote on censure, only to have Mitch never schedule it.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
If Sanders didn't pick a woman, Ellison would actually be one of my top choices. Ideologically compatible, but would cover one of his major weaknesses, won a statewide election in a state Clinton nearly lost.

The allegations would be concerning, but until I see any other evidence to the contrary I think it's a total hatchet job. First he punched her, then he didn't, there's evidence, then there wasn't, then there is but it's in my garage and I don't feel like looking for it, then there was but it was deleted by government hackers. All that and she just immediately pivoted to "wow, look at these Democrats supporting domestic abusers, #Blexit #WalkAway" while getting chummy with Republicans and it's like yeah, this doesn't seem convenient at all.

apologies for the redundancies for anyone following the Johnny Depp thread since I brought this up there too

So I dunno, I think he's weathered the worst of it and he's got quite an impressive record as Attorney General thus far. He'd be a good asset to Sanders if he wants it.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming a man (Biden/Bernard) gets a the nom, I will lose my fucking mind if the VP pick isn't a woman.

I will lose my mind further if Nina Turner or Tootsie is the VP pick.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sure Bolton is at the top of Trump's list but Barr can't just throw a guy in fucking jail for no prison. Are they just going to whip up a criminal charge out of nothing?

Zutroy

Oct 25, 2017
In this tense evening I just have to say...

Mariah wishes she could put on a performance like that.

JLo won.

🏃‍♂️

Rag

Oct 30, 2017
If it has to be Bernie, I'd get pretty excited for a Bernie and Warren ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.