• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
A Booty win would be dramatically annoying and pretty much just be a waste of everyone's time. As in, all these months of work in Iowa will have been for nothing, as he will be irrelevant after NH regardless, so wtf's the point?
epex6A4.png

Happy caucus day, everyone.
Fucking kill me. I've gone on the record saying that Abrams would be a Palin-tier stupid pick, but I was wrong in setting a base level of competency. Nina Turner would be the actual Palin pick. Jesus freaking hell it would be the dumbest/worst/whatever VP pick in modern US politics.

(I don't gamble, but Harris looks like good money)

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Actually Iowa is only the most important race to the media for a week. Iowa is neither representative of the Democratic Party or the American electorate as a whole.
Everyone knows this and has known this for years. The change I'm pointing to is the discourse surrounding it - which was never as negative as it is currently. Usually you see a million pieces on how « as goes Iowa so goes the nation! » or « predicted the candidate 4 times out of 5! »

I believe you understood that was what I was pointing to already, though.

gcubed

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone knows this and has known this for years. The change I'm pointing to is the discourse surrounding it - which was never as negative as it is currently. Usually you see a million pieces on how « as goes Iowa so goes the nation! » or « predicted the candidate 4 times out of 5! »

I believe you understood that was what I was pointing to already, though.
in the media or on here? Because if you are talking about on here, everyone has been shitting on Iowa ever since Pete made a run, had nothing to do with Bernie

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Is Pete worse with African Americans than Trump? Because if not, I really wouldn't worry about it in a general election scenario.
John Kerry and Hillary Clinton both polled better with black voters than their opponents (especially the latter) and both lost their general elections in no small part because of a failure to turnout that support in November. If just being a Democrat got you huge black voter turnout numbers we wouldn't have to worry about Republican presidents again. If Pete somehow becomes the nominee, his inability to catch on with black voters would be a huge concern.

Though presumably that same inability would prevent him from winning the nomination in the first place anyway

Wordballoons

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Still amazed the frontrunners are two 80 year old grandpas and one millennial with the soul of an 80 year old grandpa.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I beleive last fall Pete was the highest spender in Iowa, thats changed since new year though since Bernie droped so much in, but it wouldn't surprise me if Pete was at the top of the end results tonight.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
the dumb caucus system probably cost bernie iowa 4 years ago

Funny then that for the rest of the primary it was the Sanders supporters (along with Sanders himself) who kept rushing to the defense of caucuses as the best system, with all sorts of justifications but the fundamental reason being that he was winning them.

Sanders won 22 states in 2016, and only ten of them were primaries. The rest were caucuses. By comparison, Clinton won the other 28, and only two of her wins came in caucus states (Iowa and Nevada).

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
the way bernie won the washington caucus like 75-25 but then the (meaningless) washington primary went clinton 55-45

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
This Iowa The Daily episode is like

"Yeah I've seen every candidate in person 5x each"
"It's no big deal, I saw Styer at my friend's house yesterday"
"No I have no idea who I'm gonna vote for"

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

#EXCLUSIVE: I spoke to
@SenatorCollins
after the witness vote failed in
@realDonaldTrump
's #ImpeachmentTrial. Collins called critic's claims she got permission from
@senatemajldr
to vote against her party 'sexist,' adding 'I don't run my votes by anybody.' #MaineOnImpeachment

She plays the sexist card a lot, doesn't she?

Veterans Affairs deputy secretary out of job 5 months after Senate confirmed Trump appointee

5 months.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Funny then that for the rest of the primary it was the Sanders supporters (along with Sanders himself) who kept rushing to the defense of caucuses as the best system, with all sorts of justifications but the fundamental reason being that he was winning them.
I even recall in 2008 Obama supporters (of which I was one) defending caucuses on the basis that they were cheaper for all these cash-strapped plains and mountain states to conduct than primaries were.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
i didn't even realize it was all bernies against one warren, i was just talking about the awkwardly standing around thing, in general.

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
How can you do a caucus early and act like its the final vote. Don't folks have until 7pm local to be in line at their precinct?

edit: where exactly is this satellite?

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
Also no lie it's probably a good idea to chill and do something else with my life until Iowa is done.

Deleted member 3896

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Posted?
A mysterious Hawaii company may have illegally funneled a six-figure contribution to a political group boosting an embattled Republican Senator 5,000 miles away, an ethics watchdog alleged on Monday.

The company, Society of Young Women Scientist and Engineers LLC, was formed in late November, according to corporate records in Hawaii. Just over a month later, on December 31, the company donated $150,000 to 1820 PAC, a deep-pocketed super PAC with ties to the U.S. Chamber of Commerce that was created to help reelect Sen. Susan Collins (R-ME).

There is scant public information about the company. It does not appear to have a website or any social media presence. Its listed address is a P.O. box in Honolulu (listed as a "unit" number in 1820's FEC filings). Google searches turn up no information on the company. And there's no record of prior political involvement by its sole officer, Jennifer Lam.

Status
Not open for further replies.