• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
If Kasich or Bush had won the primary in 2016 Hillary may have even lost the popular vote. Trump was her best chance. There are a lot of things well worth blaming her for, but she would have no path to victory even if she hadn't fucked other things up if the nominee wasn't Trump.

Not that she was responsible for Trump winning that fucked up primary in the first place. Like Trump wouldn't have won anyway without Hillary wanting him to win the primary as an easier opponent.

Nah, this isn't accurate at all. It's a mistake to think Trump was the weakest Republican. His FL panhandle turnout literally saved the election for him, along with some cooked rural numbers in the Rust Belt. Hillary has the record for most votes ever earned in Florida by a Dem.

Thinking Trump is unappealing to right leaning voters is hardcore liberal bubble stuff. Some bland Mitt Romney clone loses the whole Rust Belt and FL to Clinton, easily. We literally ran that exact scenario in 2012!

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I agree Clinton probably trounces Marco and Kasich. Not sure about Cruz.

Trump was definitely the biggest threat, though. He awoke something no one else could have (perhaps only Cruz).

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
If Kasich or Bush had won the primary in 2016 Hillary may have even lost the popular vote. Trump was her best chance. There are a lot of things well worth blaming her for, but she would have no path to victory even if she hadn't fucked other things up if the nominee wasn't Trump.

Not that she was responsible for Trump winning that fucked up primary in the first place. Like Trump wouldn't have won anyway without Hillary wanting him to win the primary as an easier opponent.
I think this is an incredibly dangerous misrepresentation of the 2016 election - Trump activated people who wouldn't have been active in the process if Bush or Kasich had run instead of him. He brought countless nazis and deplorables into the political process. Those same deplorables did not show up for say Romney.

His populist left posturing on trade deals, jobs and healthcare also swayed a lot of people in the Midwest who probably wouldn't have voted for Bush or Kasich, their rhetoric wasn't that appealing to them (especially not Bush's)

Oct 27, 2017
After what transpired in the Senate yesterday, I wonder if people will be rethinking the practice of referring to their favorite candidate (or any US politician) as "king" or "queen".

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
After what transpired in the Senate yesterday, I wonder if people will be rethinking the practice of referring to their favorite candidate (or any US politician) as "king" or "queen".

The long-term scary possibility is that we do, because if one side is going to make politics more winner-take-all then we'll have to respond in kind, leading to a counter-response, etc. Things are going to get worse here before the GOP in its current form hits non-viability for national elections.

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017

Really? I think anyone acting in good faith knows the context in which the comment is made? It is not being used literally. At it was tongue in cheek as a reference back to when so many people would get triggered when the term was used so much.

Dr. Feel Good

Oct 25, 2017

No one should be doing this as is. It's fucking internet nerd cringe. As is "this is the worst timeline" and constant uses of the terms grifting

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Kyle Griffin @kylegriffin1

DOJ revealed in a court filing late Friday that it has two dozen emails related to Trump's involvement in the withholding of millions in aid to Ukraine.

The filing shows he was directly involved in asking about and deciding on the aid as early as June. https://cnn.it/36Ms6VR

11:00 AM - Feb 1, 2020

Washington (CNN) - The Department of Justice revealed in a court filing late Friday that it has two dozen emails related to the President Donald Trump's involvement in the withholding of millions in security assistance to Ukraine -- a disclosure that came just hours after the Senate voted against subpoenaing additional documents and witnesses in Trump's impeachment trial, paving the way for his acquittal.
The filing, released near midnight Friday, marks the first official acknowledgment from the Trump administration that emails about the President's thinking related to the aid exist, and that he was directly involved in asking about and deciding on the aid as early as June. The administration is still blocking those emails from the public and has successfully kept them from Congress.
A lawyer with the Office of Management and Budget wrote to the court that 24 emails between June and September 2019 -- including an internal discussion among DOD officials called "POTUS follow-up" on June 24 -- should stay confidential because the emails describe "communications by either the President, the Vice President, or the President's immediate advisors regarding Presidential decision-making about the scope, duration, and purpose of the hold on military assistance to Ukraine."

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tlaib being upset at a comment from Clinton that was both totally true about Sanders himself bringing people into high level positions in 2020 who were pro//neutral-Trump and absolutely not aimed at someone like Tlaib but that she took that way anyway is one of the massive problems with all this crap in a nutshell.

Oct 27, 2017

No, it is referring to the possibility of normalizing monarchy in U.S. politics, as I made direct reference to the Senate proceedings yesterday. No one is going to stop using those terms based on what I wrote, nor did I tell anyone to. But political context is important, as there are implications as a result of yesterday's Senate vote.

Yes there are other contexts that these terms support. OmniOne mentioned one more local to Era/gaf history, and you are referring to another context which the values of this site support. You could have plainly mentioned this without trying to play gotcha with me. Thank you.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No, it is referring to the possibility of normalizing monarchy in U.S. politics, as I made direct reference to the Senate proceedings yesterday. No one is going to stop using those terms based on what I wrote, nor did I tell anyone to. But political context is important, as there are implications as a result of yesterday's Senate vote.

Yes there are other contexts that these terms support. OmniOne mentioned one more local to Era/gaf history, and you are referring to another context which the values of this site support. You could have plainly mentioned this without trying to play gotcha with me. Thank you.
"Queen" and any variant of "Yas ____" specifically is a gay/drag thing that's as serious as "God-Emperor Obama" was on the old site.

Doof

Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky
Let's just let folks talk the way they want to. Seems like the simplest solution to me tbh.
As long as they aren't being bigoted ofc

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017

We should be clear about the difference between dictatorship and monarchy. In most collapsed presidential democracies, the ruler for life is simply callled President. Titles are for granting legitimacy, after all, and in the modern era, claiming a divine right of rulership just doesn't carry as much weight as a mandate from the people.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Tlaib being upset at a comment from Clinton that was both totally true about Sanders himself bringing people into high level positions in 2020 who were pro//neutral-Trump and absolutely not aimed at someone like Tlaib but that she took that way anyway is one of the massive problems with all this crap in a nutshell.
Wait this was what Tlaib was mad about? Comments obviously aimed at asshats like Turner/Sirota/Joy Gray and she thought they were aimed at her? Come on girl.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I'm laughing my ass off over here seeing some of you still think Trump is going to end up in prison.

A former president is never going to prison. Period. I don't even think a Sanders or Warren justice department would pursue charges, let alone fucking Biden lol.

Even the "liberal media" and NPR and shit would be absolutely hysterical at the thought, decrying Democrats abuse of power and taking of political prisoners, comparing the Dem president to a third world dictator, etc. Not to mention the potentially violent reactions of 30% of the public.

He should absolutely be jailed, but I just cannot see it possibly happening.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Now wait a minute. This isn't true. The host of that event was discussing Clinton's "nobody likes him" comment. That's specifically what Tlaib was booing, nothing else.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
I'm laughing my ass off over here seeing some of you still think Trump is going to end up in prison.

A former president is never going to prison. Period. I don't even think a Sanders or Warren justice department would pursue charges, let alone fucking Biden lol.

Even the "liberal media" and NPR and shit would be absolutely hysterical at the thought, decrying Democrats abuse of power and taking of political prisoners, comparing the Dem president to a third world dictator, etc. Not to mention the potentially violent reactions of 30% of the public.

He should absolutely be jailed, but I just cannot see it possibly happening.

I think the only thing holding him back is the different justice that rich white people get, but I think he's not going to get preferential treatment of a politician given how thoroughly he's pissed off the entire political class.

There is no decorum for Trump so there won't be the same cries of decorum that there would be even for prosecuting other Republicans who maybe deserve it (like Nunes).

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Now wait a minute. This isn't true. The host of that event was discussing Clinton's "nobody likes him" comment. That's specifically what Tlaib was booing, nothing else.
The apology tweets reference "most recent comments" so this may be not keeping up with current events on her end lol

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No one should be doing this as is. It's fucking internet nerd cringe. As is "this is the worst timeline" and constant uses of the terms grifting
Grifting is an accurate qualifier of what the GOP partakes in.

Internet stanning of political figures and hyperbolic expressions are hella cringe worthy though so I can agree with that.

That also said I don't think anyone saying stuff like "yass queen" or "god king" is doing it all too seriously. And the people that are stanned around here aren't the ones voting against witnesses in the Senate.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like we're heading towards a doom scenario where Bernie wins the raw vote, but Biden consolidates and wins the caucus.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Reminder that CPAC is the worst convention in politics

EPqdLP_X0AEnihJ

EPqdLP_WsAAQjHx

Status
Not open for further replies.