• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
AOC is right when she said in any other country that Biden and her would be in opposing parties. She is absolutely right and it only shores up my opinion that Biden should've run as a republican in my uninformed opinion

Vixdean

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
AOC is right when she said in any other country that Biden and her would be in opposing parties. She is absolutely right and it only shores up my opinion that Biden should've run as a republican in my uninformed opinion

I'm sorry but this kind of attitude is just insane for the potential nominee of the party. Biden proposed climate change legislation in the 80s. He helped passed background checks for guns and cowrote the original assault weapons ban in the 90s. He railed against GWBs tax cuts. The last time he could have ever run as a Republican was 1972. Come on.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
At least you're self aware.

AOC should run as an independent, since the majority of the Democratic Party does not align with her, but I digress.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm sorry but this kind of attitude is just insane for the potential nominee of the party. Biden proposed climate change legislation in the 80s. He helped passed background checks for guns and cowrote the original assault weapons ban in the 90s. He railed against GWBs tax cuts. The last time he could have ever run as a Republican was 1972. Come on.

Times change

The Overton window changes over time

To me, at least, he's the last word of Clintonian era liberal values

He's also want to cut on SSI/Medicadi for awhile, which as a beneficary of both, nah I'd rather he go away no matter what his accomplishment. That's my line in the sand

OP
OP
TheHunter

TheHunter

Bold Bur3n Wrangler
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No.

And stop spreading this nonsense. Biden is a moderate old boomer; he very clearly fought for gay rights when no one else was. Yes, he's done shitty things and says bad stuff (MY Segregationist FRIEND!) but a republican he is not.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
The GOP needs to be fucking destroyed. Take no prisoners.

Glad more people are seeing where this was headed when i called it years ago.

There's going to be some real bullshit happening this year. That seems guaranteed.

Reminder: he invited Russian spymasters into the Oval Office to spill above-top-secrets after firing Comey.

Narcissists CANT not do something dangerous and stupid after dodging a deserved punishment.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
The internet makes it too easy for people to share their uninformed opinions.

They all get together and celebrate and amplify their ignorance. And we end up with Donald Trump, President of the United States of America.

It gets hard to not think it's what we deserve.

Oct 27, 2017
We can blather on uselessly as much as possible and really I'd actually rather not

But AOC's election really has permanently changed my view on democratic establishment

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Times change

The Overton window changes over time

To me, at least, he's the last word of Clintonian era liberal values

He's also want to cut on SSI/Medicadi for awhile, which as a beneficary of both, nah I'd rather he go away no matter what his accomplishment. That's my line in the sand
What you haven't realized is that the thing defining the two parties today is the Southern Strategy and the way the current GOP is explicitly a reacrionary response to Civil Rights. As a certain bird likes to say- the South has no actual history of democracy.

This came up on my feed and is a good explainer on the demographics where Trumpism is strongest- https://www.forbes.com/sites/chrisladd/2016/09/27/the-last-jim-crow-generation/#7d61cf3116ee

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
We can blather on uselessly as much as possible and really I'd actually rather not

But AOC's election really has permanently changed my view on democratic establishment
AOC won a hyper-low-turnout primary where the incumbent was reassigned to a half-Hispanic district.

All credit to her for spotting the opportunity and taking the shot, but it is absolutely not a circumstance that translates to the party as a whole.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The argument only works in countries with more than 2 party system. Maybe then Biden would be in Labor party and AOC would be in Green party. That's maybe what AOC meant when she said it. But no way would Biden be in the conservative party in developed Western countries or whatever the Republican party. Especially when you consider that he is running left of Obama on policies....

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017

At least you're aware that you're uninformed. That's a thing many won't admit. So at least your discussion can be taken for what it is and be approached from that vantage point.

Titanpaul

Jan 2, 2019
Ugh. Hillary. I don't disagree. But again, can we have peace from the nest you are sure to rattle?

I do respect her pettiness though.

I know supposedly there wasn't much of an effect in 2016, but the recent poll extremely deflated me knowing only a little over a half of Sanders supporters said they would support another candidate if he didn't win the primary. Absolutely trash people who do that.

Seeya

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017

Already enough uninformed opinions in politics. They're at different places for sure, but dude isn't a republican nor should he run as one. Get real. Not every take needs to pit everyone at complete opposite ends of the spectrum.

Oct 27, 2017
At least you're aware that you're uninformed. That's a thing many won't admit. So at least your discussion can be taken for what it is and be approached from that vantage point.

for me this is what it comes to: When you continually talk about cutting SSI/Medicaid out of some fucked up prospect of being fiscal hawk, you absolutely lose me. It also speaks to a continual intellectual rot his brain has. There's character defect and then there's actual honest to god intellectual rot of the brain. As if fiscal conservatism is valid and isn't at all based on racism/classism/ableism

Oct 25, 2017
If we win in 2020, the Dem POTUS needs to bar Nigel Farage from entry to the U.S. Same with Katie Hopkins, Piers Morgan, and all the other animals they've got wrecking their country. We have enough of those types here already.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
for me this is what it comes to: When you continually talk about cutting SSI/Medicaid out of some fucked up prospect of being fiscal hawk, you absolutely lose me. It also speaks to a continual intellectual rot his brain has. There's character defect and then there's actual honest to god intellectual rot of the brain. As if fiscal conservatism is valid and isn't at all based on racism
If you are going to talk about old ass comments about adjusting SS then you should also bring Bernie into the conversation as it is only fair.

2020 Biden is not running on eradicating Medicaid/SS so I am not sure where you are going with this. That current day AOC would be on opposite sides of the political spectrum of 1974 Biden? Ok...

Maybe there is some truth to Biden not being as sharp as he once was but that is a pivot on the original argument.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Biden has been a pretty generic dem politician, changing with the times.

This is a double-edged sword. It means he has done things you may not like in the past. But it also means he can be pressured into changing with the times as he's shifted left along with the party.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
I live in a country with a multiparty preferential voting system, and grew up in one with a mixed member proportional system, and Joe Biden as he stands would not be in the major conservative party.

He and AOC may be in different parties but only by virtue of her being in a Green Party equivalent.

Status
Not open for further replies.