• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Scottt

Oct 25, 2017
Dunce question: How does it come about that only a few senators like Collins, Murkowski, McCain, and now Romney receive so much more spotlighting than the other fifty or so? I know it's described as a moderate darling thing, but I don't understand how that status comes about or why they are singled out from rest of their party. All of them are bad, but it's happened again with Alexander this time, and even though he is the same as the rest the attention given to him, Collins, and Murkowski seems to only provide a shield to the others.

Maynerd

Oct 27, 2017
Redmond, WA
The level of unfettered evil from the Republicans should once and for all convince EVERYONE here to vote for the Dem nominee no matter who they are. I don't care if you're in a blue state. I don't care if you hate Biden, I don't care if you hate Sanders. Just fucking do it.

Let's destroy the Republican party.

Agreed, although we should be donating time/money to non-solid blue states to help oust the GOP from those states.

Oct 27, 2017
Just read that the demonstrations I posted about before are actually a planned demonstration for over-policing of subways, not impeachment. As you were.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
Dunce question: How does it come about that only a few senators like Collins, Murkowski, McCain, and now Romney receive so much more spotlighting than the other fifty or so? I know it's described as a moderate darling thing, but I don't understand how that status comes about or why they are singled out from rest of their party. All of them are bad, but it's happened again with Alexander this time, and even though he is the same as the rest the attention given to him, Collins, and Murkowski seems to only provide a shield to the others.
Because we know where most of those senators stand and they don't pretend to have morals. After flake and Collins for Kav, I've refused to give any the benefit of the doubt ever again.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Cause those are the most vulnerable I think

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Because the level of partisanism in our politics in known and accepted, I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Cause those are the most vulnerable I think

Romney ain't vulnerable. Someone like Cory Gardner in CO is way more vulnerable than most senators, but no one gives a shit about him.

It's because these senators cultivate a bullshit guise of thoughtfulness and even-handedness that the media laps up because it and the people who consume it want to believe in the mythical Good Republican so, so badly.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Making special rules for the man who is buying his way into the primary is almost the perfect example of what Bernie has been talking about since before 2016. I don't know why they thought that was a good idea.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

It speaks volumes that the same people who voted against witnesses for a speedy trial are now haranguing over how much time they get to speak on the floor during said trial.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
So this is a fun tweet.

Couple things.
1. Jeeze Chuck, chill out.
2. Why are three US Senators giving a speech with Mrs. Landingham, the president's personal secretary?

Oct 27, 2017
Bloomberg will get killed on the debate stage, isn't going to win anyway, and this is a meatball pitch for Bernie's brand. Makes you wonder what the REAL rigging is hmmmmmmmmmmmm

Oct 27, 2017
Sanders' continued mistake is complaining about the system but not the players. Every candidate is trying to leverage money to buy their way forward. His own pac is potentially in a bit of trouble over it, even.

Campaigns also overpay "advisers" and underpay canvassers and other machine-players and call it democracy in action, while donors cheer this on. Even with all that expensive advisement most of the campaigns flat-out lose.

All Sanders has to do is bring up how Bloomberg went about getting a third term as Mayor, and stop-and-frisk.

BowieZ

Nov 7, 2017
I remember when the below was treated as proof of the media's disdain for Bernie. Citing the more liberal news network in the US to really drive it home. But then when you look at it...it's not as if Biden is not getting an equal amount of negative coverage. The only difference is that nobody keeps going "woe is the plight of Joe Biden in the face of the devilish mainstream media."

The mainstream news media expresses its collective disdain for Bernie by not mentioning him. By brushing over his appearance in news stories and poll results. By reducing his significance in the eyes of viewers, not the degree of 'positivity'.

If the media learned anything from 2016, it was a reaffirmation that signal-boosting matters.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sanders' continued mistake is complaining about the system but not the players. Every candidate is trying to leverage money to buy their way forward. His own pac is potentially in a bit of trouble over it, even.

Campaigns also overpay "advisers" and underpay canvassers and other machine-players and call it democracy in action, while donors cheer this on. Even with all that expensive advisement most of the campaigns flat-out lose.

All Sanders has to do is bring up how Bloomberg went about getting a third term as Mayor, and stop-and-frisk.
He doesn't need to, tbh. He's better off letting his supporters do it for him. That way he can run a positive change-focused campaign instead of a vindictive "at least I'm not x" one.

Mekanos

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 17, 2018
Man...

Between this and Brexit, the anglosphere is having a real bruh moment today.

And it's still only January.

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018

It speaks volumes that the same people who voted against witnesses for a speedy trial are now haranguing over how much time they get to speak on the floor during said trial.

Translation: We really need to delay our coverup to have 15 minutes of TV time to desperately lie to our constituents and convince them that we just didn't do a coverup.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, he's right. Bloomberg is buying his way in despite nobody donating to him. Why

Letting billionaires do this isn't good for democracy. They already have it easy enough, why change the rules to accommodate him
At the same time he's bought his way to third in some polls so it's kiiinndddaaa hard to ignore.

Also, Warren's campaign was lobbying to let him in so they can attack him.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyway, this country is broken as fuck, so since misery loves company, I'mma go read some Brexit news at The Guardian.

(The only thing I'm jealous of is that Scotland will have an easier time forcing their way out of a Union that doesn't serve their needs more easily than any of our states would.)

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
At the same time he's bought his way to third in some polls so it's kiiinndddaaa hard to ignore.

Also, Warren's campaign was lobbying to let him in so they can attack him.
Yes it's hard to ignore he's now polling at 8-10 percent but acknowledging it is basically admitting that is basically saying billionaires flooding the airwaves with ads works so let's help him

he and Steyer are the only ones that can afford to do what they are doing. It's bullshit.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
(The only thing I'm jealous of is that Scotland will have an easier time forcing their way out of a Union that doesn't serve their needs more easily than any of our states would.)
Hahaaa... no. Boris ain't gonna let Scotland leave. It should be able to, but the power to let Scotland leave isn't in Scotland's control.

Yes it's hard to ignore he's now polling at 8-10 percent but acknowledging it is basically admitting that is basically saying billionaires flooding the airwaves with ads works so let's help him

he and Steyer are the only ones that can afford to do what they are doing. It's bullshit.
It is bullshit that that is legal, I agree. Bloomberg doesn't have a chance in hell of actually winning no matter how much he spends, on the plus side.

Oct 27, 2017
Philbin is the only Counsel that's even kept them afloat through this mess.

His lawyer wrote a pretty damning letter?
Just read it. Yeah that's the kind of thing that will turn a 15 minute break into almost an hour.

And yeah, Philbin just counter-arguing with tenacity, even if/when it is a slippery slope or not true when it comes to legislative responsibilities. He's leaning too much on "the Senate will be forever changed", but when you have so little to work with from the start, that's still the best-sounding of the bunch.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
AJyCGRI.jpg

The only image that feels appropriate today.

Oct 25, 2017
Hahaaa... no. Boris ain't gonna let Scotland leave. It should be able to, but the power to let Scotland leave isn't in Scotland's control.

Scotland is angling for more devolution of powers, though, and I think Westminster is amenable to that. They'll get out slowly and surely by claiming more and more power for themselves + being able to leverage support for a minority Labour government to get an Indyref 2 in like a decade when Labour might actually sniff an election victory again.

On another note, I love Nicola Sturgeon. She's the smartest and the best and the cleverest and I would like her to be our POTUS if we can't have Elizabeth Warren in that role.

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
Eh, at the criticism of "#rigged"
sanders is right that changing the rules now for Bloomberg is garbage.

I agree he overly leans on the rigged idea, but he's not wrong here.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@axios
NEW: The Trump administration adds immigration restrictions on Kyrgyzstan, Myanmar, Eritrea, Nigeria, Sudan and Tanzania.https://www.axios.com/trump-travel-ban-expand-six-countries-e3d1deeb-99b2-4f89-9a9b-d21cb3a45dd3.html?utm_source=twitter&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=organic&utm_content=1100 …

wesker83

Dec 3, 2018
Sekulow up there claiming they didn't have a chance to cross-examine House witnesses...When they refused to participate in the house committees and the fact that having Trumps lawyer question witness is just not how the process goes. The House members and their lawyers asked the questions, not personal lawyers. Such a dumb fucking argument going here. Sekulow is just basically saying if you allow witnesses we will call everyone and drag this out. I say call their bluff.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
I mean, he's right. Bloomberg is buying his way in despite nobody donating to him. Why
Nobody is donating to him because iirc he's refusing contributions. If he decided to accept them, he would easily clear the thresholds. I mean, even Steyer could.

The larger issue is how he was allowed to spend an inordinate amount on ads across the country to meet the polling threshold, which i don't think the DNC can control.

Status
Not open for further replies.