• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
lol someone just asked Schumer if he feels he was out-maneuvered by McConnell. what in the fuck lol. I actually thought Schumer was pretty great so far given he has so few cards he can even play. I'm looking forward to the whatever dumpster fire is in store for today.
Wonder if anyone would talk about how much of a failure McConnell would be if he failed to keep multiple people from his own party defecting on such a big issue, probably not

Did these people pass 1st grade math

Xenogears_X

Banned
Jan 22, 2020
So for 50/50 we need Murkowski to vote given that Romney and Collins said they would vote in favor of witnesses. If she votes, it would be 50/50, and the Chief Justice could break the tie.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see Murk putting Roberts in that position and that's ignoring her pairing up with Alexander last night which is it's own tell.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
>

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

this is actually what a lot of Hill Republicans would like to say, per aides, but most were told by Trump/White House to defend as a "perfect call." https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1223264668971438085 …

10:21 AM - Jan 31, 2020

Manu Raju @mkraju

Asked Alexander if he thinks Trump solicited foreign interference in election: "I think it was inappropriate and wrong for the president to do what he did -- and I think it was proved. The question is whether you apply capital punishment to every offense.
https://twitter.com/mkraju/status/1223263799991504896 …

"And I think in this case, i think the answer is no," Alexander said

10:19 AM - Jan 31, 2020

Apparently "capital punishment" is now equivalent to "losing your side job".

Sky Chief

Oct 30, 2017
Murkowski still hasn't committed to voting for witnesses and appears to be waiting for the last possible moment to announce her decision. Dont be surprised if Mcconell has her locked up as a No vote in order to avoid the 50-50 Roberts limelight scenario.
She wants to make sure she isn't the deciding vote to get witnesses. She'll vote for witnesses once she's assured that her vote won't matter.

Alexander was never going to vote for witnesses. He and McConnell coordinated to be the "deciding" vote to take the pressure off the other GOP Senators because he doesn't have to face the wrath of voters ever again. He sacrificed himself for McConnell, Trump, and the rest of the corrupt GOP cover up Senators. We can't forget that the other 49+ are equally terrible people but the media is getting played by McConnell and Alexander.

kalindana

Oct 28, 2018

New - Trump trial could go into next week, maybe even mid-week. Senators and WH want more time for closing arguments, Iowa caucus on Monday and State of the Union complicating timing. All very fluid right now

Oct 27, 2017

New - Trump trial could go into next week, maybe even mid-week. Senators and WH want more time for closing arguments, Iowa caucus on Monday and State of the Union complicating timing. All very fluid right now

This was known, people are finally catching up to this. Still some procedural participation to take place before final vote.

Bolton's "strategy" is beginning to backfire on whatever positive reputation he garnered from this.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
The WH wants more time? I guess they want more time to disseminate anti-Biden propaganda on national tv.

Ziltoidia 9

Oct 25, 2017
I just wish you could reason with these people. Though, I've been saying that for a long ass time, it just seems to get worse and worse.

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
I hadn't heard galley copies went out. Is that some sort of equivalent of an early cut of a film?
Reviewers always get copies early and excerpts get released to the press so they can write about it before release. There's probably a copy or two that's been getting passed around publishing houses for a while now.

A galley copy, iirc, isn't a review copy, but a copy of the book that has to be formatted for publication or copy-edited. I can't remember which it is off the top of my head tho.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Something lighter to distract us from the death of democracy, Colbert and "Warren" visit Iowa. Or do they?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
More than two months before he asked Ukraine's president to investigate his political opponents, President Trump directed John R. Bolton, then his national security adviser, to help with his pressure campaign to extract damaging information on Democrats from Ukrainian officials, according to an unpublished manuscript by Mr. Bolton.

Mr. Trump gave the instruction, Mr. Bolton wrote, during an Oval Office conversation in early May that included the acting White House chief of staff, Mick Mulvaney, the president's personal lawyer Rudolph W. Giuliani and the White House counsel, Pat A. Cipollone, who is now leading the president's impeachment defense.

Mr. Trump told Mr. Bolton to call Volodymyr Zelensky, who had recently won election as president of Ukraine, to ensure Mr. Zelensky would meet with Mr. Giuliani, who was planning a trip to Ukraine to discuss the investigations that the president sought, in Mr. Bolton's account. Mr. Bolton never made the call, he wrote.

DorkLord54

Oct 27, 2017
Michigan
At this point I'd rather they not call witnesses and allow Democrats to bludgeon vulnerable Senate Republicans over the head with it, than go through the motions of a "fair" trial that ends up with Trump walking anyway.

The whole process is a sham either way with a predetermined outcome, anything resulting in Senate Republicans removing Trump is firmly fantasy territory, might as well get some political capital out of it.
Yeah, entire thing's political theatre on both ends - Republicans and Trump to "prove" that he's innocent and being unfairly persecuted in a "witch-hunt", Democrats to potentially hurt GOP chances in suburban areas where these sort of things tend to matter more. We'll see in Nov where people have landed.
Chris Cillizza out here amazed that Republicans are able to fast-track acquittal with zero witnesses.

tenor.gif
The past decade has shown the pundit class to be stuck in some weirdo alternative dimension where the GOP has been following the rules the past two decades instead of relying entirely on being cynically pragmatic corporatists since 1994.

yogurt

Oct 25, 2017
The fact that Americans are sitting at home twiddling their thumbs while this injustice goes on, is quite fitting.

I can't think of any other democratic country where if this were to happen, that citizens wouldn't take to the streets in mass protest.
Which city should we protest in to make a difference? DC? NYC? LA? Knoxville, TN?

I think demonstrations are extremely useful for a lot of reasons, and I have attended many, but that's just not really how it works with the Senate. Lisa Murkowski cares more about polling & phone calls from her constituents, not whether the heavily Democratic population of DC/MD/VA shows up outside her office.

Well he's more popular amongst men now which goes to show we just tend to chase after the biggest dick.

That's why Biden has to fight him to win some voters back.

Mulberry

Oct 28, 2017
BOLTON IS DOING THIS ON PURPOSE!!!!

Sorry for all caps but is too funny. The man loves to drop bombs.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Republicans are playing a dangerous game if they bury this and then keep getting hit with oppo drops that keep reinforcing how much of a sham trial this was.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Mulberry lol

Always a tweet for everything:

@GOP HOUSE LEADERSHIP – ESTABLISH SELECT COMMITTEE ON BENGHAZI. THERE IS A MASSIVE COVERUP.

Pay-to-play. Collusion. Cover-ups. And now bribery? So CROOKED. I will #DrainTheSwamp.

MMBosstones86

Oct 25, 2017
Does this mean that Cipollone had first hand knowledge of the QPQ the whole time he was arguing against it?

Really a "it was me the whole time" dot gif.

Pockets

Oct 27, 2017
This drip feeding of information is starting to feel like it's being done in celebration of being openly corrupt.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
OTTUMWA, IA—As part of his effort to reinvigorate the coalition that once put Barack Obama in the White House, presidential candidate Joe Biden issued a moving plea for party unity when he told a Democratic voter "You're a piece of shit and I hope everyone like you dies," reports confirmed Thursday. "Look here, pal, fuck you and fuck anybody who thinks like you," the former vice president said to a town hall participant in what political experts have hailed as a rousing call for Democrats, independents, and even moderate Republicans to join together in harmony and overcome the divisiveness and rancor that have characterized the Trump era.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Nothing to worry about re the coronavirus, Donald is on it. He's hard at work, scratch that nonsense, his schedule shows him leaving for Mar-a-lago by 4pm for the usual weekend of grifting.

Status
Not open for further replies.