• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Investigate every single one of them. Not a single one deserves a moment rest for the rest of their days.

ChucklesB

Nov 4, 2017
I still can't believe the defense is "okay he did it, but fuck you." I mean I can because it's the only defense they have, but man it's tasty.

Dems are just going to continue to crush it with fundraising with this though. Repubs should have at least faked it and voted for witnesses but then just not agreed on who to call.

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
So long as the Republican base accepts any and all bad behavior from Trump and the Party, we will never see them act in the country's best interests over their own political ones. Alexander's statements are so lacking in intellectual and legal merit I almost feel embarrassed, but more than that I feel even more scared of what a smarter/more skilled fascist could do once in office.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest for a second, this is the best possible outcome. Why? He was NEVER being removed from office, ever. So let them take a stand against what seventy something percent of the American public wants, that's fine by me. There being witnesses was going to have zero effect on what Trump was or wasn't going to do going forward

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Let's be honest for a second, this is the best possible outcome. Why? He was NEVER being removed from office, ever. So let them take a stand against what seventy something percent of the American public wants, that's fine by me.
basically

it gives red state dems would would have been twisting the longer this dragged on any way an easy out.

I don't really get it. They could have called hunter and gotten all the sound bites they wanted to muddy the waters on this even more.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Dustin Volz @dnvolz

Lamar Alexander votes with Trump more than 90 percent of the time and until about yesterday was never viewed as a swing vote on anything. This was all theater.

11:21 PM - Jan 30, 2020

Tim Alberta @TimAlberta

A thought on Lamar Alexander:

His retirement is less relevant than you might think. Trump's grip on the GOP has implications far beyond elected office. Lamar is looking forward to a life after politics — and he knows it will be complicated by any break w/ Trump over impeachment.

I've spent a LOT of time with retired (and retiring) congressional Rs since 2016. Most feel zero sense of liberation to bash Trump on the way out. If anything, they're even more cowed & cautious, fearing that being out of favor w: POTUS (and his party) limits their earning power.

And it's not just about money. I've had numerous retiring Rs talk warily — sometimes fearfully — about the "cult" of Trump supporters back home. They worry about harassment of their families, loss of standing in local communities, estranged relationships, etc.

10:31 PM - Jan 30, 2020

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Let's be honest for a second, this is the best possible outcome. Why? He was NEVER being removed from office, ever. So let them take a stand against what seventy something percent of the American public wants, that's fine by me. There being witnesses was going to have zero effect on what Trump was or wasn't going to do going forward

True, but witnesses might have got Americans to tune in. Who's watching congress debate itself without witnesses? That's why they didn't want any, not because it would change the outcome, but because it's bad optics.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
I'm unironically looking forward to what hilariously corrupt shit then next dem president can do. You know, so long as there's no actual crime committed I guess?

There's going to be so much fuckery the rest of the year. Holy shit. There's no reason for him to NOT do every awful thing you could ever thing of and then even more on top of that.
Let's be honest for a second, this is the best possible outcome. Why? He was NEVER being removed from office, ever. So let them take a stand against what seventy something percent of the American public wants, that's fine by me.
Depressingly, this is also somehow true.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

Dustin Volz @dnvolz

Lamar Alexander votes with Trump more than 90 percent of the time and until about yesterday was never viewed as a swing vote on anything. This was all theater.

Tim Alberta @TimAlberta

I've spent a LOT of time with retired (and retiring) congressional Rs since 2016. Most feel zero sense of liberation to bash Trump on the way out. If anything, they're even more cowed & cautious, fearing that being out of favor w: POTUS (and his party) limits their earning power.

And it's not just about money. I've had numerous retiring Rs talk warily — sometimes fearfully — about the "cult" of Trump supporters back home. They worry about harassment of their families, loss of standing in local communities, estranged relationships, etc.

It's the bully pulpit Bernie is talking about in action!

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

Dustin Volz @dnvolz

Tim Alberta @TimAlberta

His retirement is less relevant than you might think. Trump's grip on the GOP has implications far beyond elected office. Lamar is looking forward to a life after politics — and he knows it will be complicated by any break w/ Trump over impeachment.

No sympathy. They created, feed, and enabled this monster. Face the consequences.

Oct 27, 2017
The vote (witnesses/documents) hasn't happened yet, if/when it does it will be very very bad should witnesses/documents not move forward. The best possible outcome, this is not.

minato

Oct 27, 2017
My thoughts exactly. Low information voters will hear no witness and know it was a sham. If they allowed witness they will still acquit him anyway and then can run on the talking point that we had witness so what are the Dems complaining about.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
The media always feels the need to create new "moderate darlings." The idea that Alexander was ever going to do anything was laughable.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
"Trending with: coward"

0c05f2a1-7458-4a5b-axxj1b.jpeg

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
So uh, I don't think most Americans have any idea that the entire trial is about to end. I mean, what kind of trial just ENDS before witnesses and evidence? That's silly.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
The vote (witnesses/documents) hasn't happened yet, if/when it does it will be very very bad should witnesses/documents not move forward. The best possible outcome, this is not.
Depends on how you look at it. Bolton was never going to be allowed to publicly testify, and past that anything deemed as harming to Trump was never going to get the votes to be admitted. At the end of the day going forward on witnesses was going to be Bolton behind closed doors versus one or both Biden's in public, and nothing more. It was a sham, it was always going to be a sham. So fine, let them end the sham and do so against what the vast majority of what the American public wants.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Wow, I was completely thinking that Lamar would be a yes for his historical legacy meaning that Lisa would be a no because she knows she can win in 2022 either way but damn.
Lamar Alexander is a Republican from Tennessee. The legacy he cares about is one that appeals to his neighbors, not to liberal history professors in 30 years.

Tim Alberta @TimAlberta

To add to this: there are social life implications for Republicans who cross Trump too. Many of their friends and the people they interact with on a day-to-day basis are other Republicans, lawmakers, lobbyists, CEOs, fundraisers, power brokers, etc. Breaking with Trump means having all of their friends turn on them. It's why Supreme Court justices will continue to rule in Trump's favor despite lifetime appointments that technically shield them from any kind of accountability; they don't want to be uninvited to the Federalist Society Christmas parties.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Hopefully this empowers democrats to vote come the election. We need all the motivation we can get to stop this unprecedented corruption and evil.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
Lamar Alexander is a Republican from Tennessee. The legacy he cares about is one that appeals to his neighbors, not to liberal history professors in 30 years.

To add to this: there are social life implications for Republicans who cross Trump too. Many of their friends and the people they interact with on a day-to-day basis are other Republicans, lawmakers, lobbyists, CEOs, fundraisers, power brokers, etc. Breaking with Trump means having all of their friends turn on them. It's why Supreme Court justices will continue to rule in Trump's favor despite lifetime appointments that technically shield them from any kind of accountability; they don't want to be uninvited to the Federalist Society Christmas parties.
Yep, as talked about here
Z3NKjlE.png

I have absolutely no sympathy for these fuckheads

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
I have trouble feeling any sympathy for Bolton, who has set us on an inevitable and possibly nuclear collision course with both North Korea and Iran, and even Russia (INF withdrawal). I appreciate he has some kind of moral line he's not willing to cross with Trump, but that'll be of small comfort during our future warfighting.

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
I'm (ironically) looking forward to see what brazen shit Trump decides to do in the open after being acquitted.

Im expecting him to publicly announce that Barr will open an investigation into Biden or Bernie (whoever wins the primary).

Status
Not open for further replies.