• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Obama brokering the, uh, brokered convention and pushing for Bernie would make some heads explode alright
If Bernie had a sizable plurality I doubt it would. Obama doesn't like rocking the boat so it would totally make sense for him to continue the tradition of pushing the plurality delegate across the finish line like past brokered conventions.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
What past brokered conventions? To my understanding, it's never happened in the Democratic Party.
You're right, they were generally avoided because super delegates were functionally for the purpose of pushing plurality candidates past the finish line, so we've avoided true brokered conventions. Like when in 1968 when LBJ pushed for the plurality delegate (Humphrey) after Kennedy died, I could easily see the same happening with Bernie should he only be missing the threshold by a few hundred.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Bernie needing superdelegates to win would be perfection, after all the complaining last cycle about them even existing.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
You all should watch 1960 election night coverage to meet the granddaddy of The Needle.
youtu.be

Election Night 1960 CBS News Coverage

Live NBC-TV coverage of ELECTION NIGHT 1960 (November 8-9, 1960). Anchoring the election coverage are NBC's Chet Huntley and David Brinkley. The U.S. .This i...

So using this thing called a compuper (I doubt it catches on) they would assign states with less than 13% of the vofe, and would just constantly change who "won" what as more results come in. They literally just a signed ALL the electoral votes and then adjusted as needed. I'd have been drunk off my ass to survive that.

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most common I guess, myths(?) is people saying that rich people donate millions to evade taxes. When you actually think about it, wouldn't the amount of money they're donating be greater than any tax breaks they could get?

I always saw philanthropy as just good PR.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most common I guess, myths(?) is people saying that rich people donate millions to evade taxes. When you actually think about it, wouldn't the amount of money they're donating be greater than any tax breaks they could get?

I always saw philanthropy as just good PR.

You'd be correct. The tax benefit is nothing compared to the amount of money they'd be "losing". It's mainly a PR thing.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Hillary and Obama were never friends/allies i think, im sure the Sec. of State was part of the bargain for the nomination, and i feel like his 2016 support for her was part of the brokering during 2008.
Oh yeah I mean I'm sure she still holds a truckload of salt from when he beat her in the primaries.

I just meant her head would explode from seeing the two big party leaders she ran hard against on stage together, and seeing how much the people like them.

Oct 25, 2017

twitter.com

Zach Montellaro on Twitter

“@MikeBloomberg @JoeBiden @PeteButtigieg @amyklobuchar @BernieSanders @ewarren @ccadelago @SallyGold @davidsiders If there was any doubt that Bloomberg would participate tomorrow (and there shouldn't have been, because he's said repeatedly publicly that he'd do so, if he qualified), lay it to...

Good luck, Mike.

Deleted member 28564

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Every candidate on that stage has reason to go after Bloomberg. I wonder if the moderators will paint the target on Bloomberg's back red? Oh and congratulations to Bernie for breaking that 30%. Super Tuesday might be a bloodbath.

danm999

Oct 29, 2017
Sydney

The poll asked voters how they would vote in a hypothetical two-person race pitting Sanders against one of the more moderate candidates. In these scenarios, Sanders edges past both Klobuchar (45% to 42%) and Buttigieg (44% to 42%) but comes out on the losing end against Bloomberg (41% to 47%) and by an even wider margin against Biden (38% to 51%).

Are Biden and Bloomberg going to cripple each other in the South on Super Tuesday?

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched any debates since the second one, but I will likely have this one on the background at least. I'll probably be disappointed though.
In more detail? Surely $57K off the principal is $57K less debt, plus less interest on that principal.
With a high enough interest rate, law school/med school level loans, and a low enough monthly income-based repayment, it's quite possible, though unlikely for most people.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
I can verify that living in Virginia, we get a lot of Bloomberg ads (and with a poll like this we are about to get a ton more). I believe a lot of this Bloomberg surge is on the back of that Obama ad.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
Real monkey's paw situation here. So many people wanted someone to come break up Biden's firewall.....

Other campaigns need to fear this. He has money, and is investing it in more than ads.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
From the Monmouth poll:

In a Sanders versus Biden matchup, the former vice president has a small lead among white voters (49% Biden to 40% Sanders) and an even wider lead among black voters (63% to 27%). In a Sanders versus Bloomberg matchup, the white voter gap is about the same as for Biden (50% Bloomberg to 39% Sanders), while Sanders has a slight lead among black voters (43% Bloomberg to 49% Sanders).

That seems promising for Bernie that he's actually leading with black voters in the Bloomberg H2H.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Real monkey's paw situation here. So many people wanted someone to come break up Biden's firewall.....

Other campaigns need to fear this. He has money, and is investing it in more than ads.
I can't even be upset. Everyone prayed for a Joe collapse. Now we end up with Bloomberg taking his place.

If Joe runs out of cash after continuing to bomb, Bloomberg might be able to make Sanders have to work for the nomination. Ugh. I had hoped Bernie would just have run away with it so we don't have a drawn out primary.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
Yep, moderates were going to migrate to someone else who they believe can win on a national level if Biden collapsed, so it's becoming Bloomberg by default. The reality is Mayor Pete and Klob are just not taken seriously on a national level, so moderates are waiting to see if Biden can straighten the ship or going to Bloomberg at this moment.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

www.nytimes.com

Past Remarks Are Challenging for Bloomberg, and Fair Game for Rivals (Published 2020)

For two months, Michael Bloomberg’s campaign has been preparing for a moment it knew would come: when decades of impolitic and insensitive remarks would face renewed scrutiny.
HOUSTON — It hadn't even been a full day since a 12-year-old video surfaced of Michael R. Bloomberg showing him linking the 2008 financial crisis to the end of redlining, a practice that allowed banks to declare low-income, mostly minority neighborhoods off-limits for loans.
But as the criticism swelled, Mr. Bloomberg was in Houston introducing a new initiative for his presidential campaign called "Mike for Black America." Mayor Sylvester Turner of Houston, whose endorsement Mr. Bloomberg had pursued for weeks, delivered an impassioned speech, as did the mayors of Columbia, S.C., and Washington, both of whom are also helping Mr. Bloomberg with his African-American outreach.
"You don't judge people by the mistakes they have made," Mr. Turner declared. "You judge them by their ability to fess up."
For the past two months, Mr. Bloomberg's presidential campaign has been lining up endorsements and expanding its reach across the country with an eye toward the moment it knew would come: when Mr. Bloomberg, the 78-year-old multibillionaire, would no longer be an afterthought in the race but a prime target, and his long record — including policy stances and decades worth of impolitic and insensitive remarks — would face renewed scrutiny.
That moment is now here: Over the weekend, the concern about Mr. Bloomberg's ascendancy was evident as rival Democrats campaigning in Nevada unleashed a barrage of attacks on the former mayor, including familiar laments that he was trying to buy an election and new criticism aided by resurfaced videos that invoked his past controversies.
-----------------------
"He's not a career politician," said the Columbia mayor, Stephen Benjamin, who is also Mr. Bloomberg's campaign co-chairman. Citing what he said was the campaign's internal polling of Super Tuesday states, which showed Mr. Bloomberg leading in Arkansas and in second or third place in North Carolina and Texas, Mr. Benjamin said: "That's when arrows start flying. That's when the daggers come out.
"But you've got to be able to show the resilience to take the arrows."
The excavation of Mr. Bloomberg's past has accelerated as the former mayor's unorthodox candidacy begins to appear more plausible. In just the past week four different sets of remarks have surfaced dealing with questions of racial discrimination.
-----------------------
After each instance he was ready. When news of the stop-and-frisk comments broke, a group of 20 African-American faith leaders happened to be at the Bloomberg campaign headquarters for a previously scheduled meeting. They agreed to release a joint statement defending him. The following day, the campaign put out a new batch of endorsements: three members of the Congressional Black Caucus who announced they were supporting Mr. Bloomberg for president.
His rivals have spent nearly all of their time and resources battling one another in early-voting states like Iowa and New Hampshire, while Mr. Bloomberg has spent hundreds of millions of dollars building up his image with advertising and campaign rallies in states where he has had the field largely to himself.
Mr. Bloomberg hopes the campaign he has built in less than three months will armor him against these kinds of attacks. Operating in what was essentially a vacuum for so long has allowed him to introduce himself on his own terms to voters who knew little about him.
"There was not a lot of well-defined understanding of Bloomberg outside of 'He was once mayor of New York and he's rich,'" said Cornell Belcher, a former aide to President Barack Obama who is advising Mr. Bloomberg on strategy and polling. "The campaign has done a good job of getting in early and defining him," Mr. Belcher added, while Mr. Bloomberg "had all the March states to himself."
The efforts include both conventional advertising on television, radio and online along with a novel social media strategy. He has hired some of the biggest meme-makers on the internet, who are posting what look like real direct messages from Mr. Bloomberg (they are not) asking them to help "make me look cool."
-----------------------
"He came out and apologized and said that's not the kind of policy I would support as president," said Sheree Johnson, 35, an educator who attended Mr. Bloomberg's event in Houston. "The Christian in me says to forgive him for that. He acknowledged it. He was wrong."
Dwight Smith, who works with the N.A.A.C.P. in Chattanooga and attended Mr. Bloomberg's rally there, said he believed many black voters were focused more on the bigger-picture goal of beating President Trump than they were on blemishes in any candidate's past. "Everybody makes mistakes," Mr. Smith said. "And if you look at the mistakes Donald Trump has made versus the mistakes Mike Bloomberg has made, I think people are willing to let it go."

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
2020 WHCD:
twitter.com

Yamiche Alcindor on Twitter

“The White House Correspondents' Association Dinner will be hosted by Kenan Thompson. Hasan Minhaj, will be the featured entertainer. “We’re looking forward to a lively evening honoring the most important political journalism of the past year,” says WHCA President @jonkarl.”
twitter.com

WHCA on Twitter

“Introducing the 2020 White House Correspondents’ Dinner – With host Kenan Thompson and featured entertainer Hasan Minhaj. For more info: https://t.co/8ptQ82UW1l”

VECEQ3Z.png

Seattle6418

Oct 25, 2017
Brasília Brazil
I actually agree on this one. It plays right into his message about focusing on Trump.

But Bloomberg has 0 charisma, does not have followers and is only getting this far because of money.

Also, being a racist POS billionaire worked for Trump to get republican voters.

I hope democrats and independents have better judgement. I have a feeling Mike is getting a lot of soft support. Lets see what happens when the facts come out.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie needing superdelegates to win would be perfection, after all the complaining last cycle about them even existing.

He's right to complain about them existing, the whole thing is bullshit, the problem is complaining about the rules AFTER you deal yourself in. Nobody should be whining about the rules of a game they chose to enter AFTER they start playing. Especially when he's not even officially on the team he's complaining about. But Caucuses, superdelegates, all of it isn't just antiquated bullshit, it basically says, "yeah there's only two parties so feck off"

They need to fix this shit for next time. It's going to be distorted by the GOP and the media so it won't even be a fair version of its own bullshit.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Yikes at those Bloomberg surges. I truly don't understand the mindset of someone who, just by virtue of seeing the same ads over and over, decides that, yes, this is the man who should be president. Same with Steyer. It's not like most of the country knows Bloomberg from him being their mayor or has any debate appearances to draw on at this point.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Bloomberg has some good ads featuring Obama, and I wonder if that's helping him.

As for the debate, I would expect both Biden and Buttigieg to go after Bloomberg hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.