• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
Bloomberg is turning 78 today???

I knew he was old, but I was hoping he might be at least in his early 70s. So just like Bernie, he's going to be 79 years old going into office...Holy Smokes...

I might have to get on the Klob train, but she's completely dead after SC and Super Tuesday. The media has been artificially inflating her up, but her skeleton operation and near non--existent national numbers for the last 12 months is going to catch up to her in short order.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017

I knew he was old, but I was hoping he might be at least in his early 70s. So just like Bernie, he's going to be 79 years old going into office...Holy Smokes...

I might have to get on the Klob train, but she's completely dead after SC and Super Tuesday. The media has been artificially inflating her up, but her skeleton operation and near non--existent national numbers for the last 12 months is going to catch up to her in short order.
Yeah he's just as old as Bernie and Biden. These stupid, vainglorious old men that are so self-obsessed that they don't really contemplate their age when they decided to enter the race is really annoying. And all three of them are not exactly free of health issues (Biden had two brain surgeries, Bernie just had a heart attack, Bloomberg had stents put in and skin cancer removed).

Unfortunately, as you said, it's essentially down to one of them, I can't see Amy catching on. Ugh. I'll begrudgingly support the more credible of the non-Bernie of the two by the time IL comes around, if he hasn't run away with it by then.

Deleted member 8644

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah he's just as old as Bernie and Biden. These stupid, vainglorious old men that are so self-obsessed that they don't really contemplate their age when they decided to enter the race is really annoying. And all three of them are not exactly free of health issues (Biden had two brain surgeries, Bernie just had a heart attack, Bloomberg had stents put in and skin cancer removed).

Unfortunately, as you said, it's essentially down to one of them, I can't see Amy catching on. Ugh. I'll begrudgingly support the more credible of the non-Bernie of the two by the time IL comes around, if he hasn't run away with it by then.
Love to support a blatant racist because Sanders is too left and his supporters were mean to me online

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Klob is gonna win her first state on ST! Probably.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not expecting Bernie to win Texas but Trump only beating him by 2: Biden and Warren by 3 is going to give some serious side-eye from the GOP

If Bernie (or even Biden or Warren) does win Texas, then it's fucking game over for Trump and the GOP will be in massive disarray if that happens

Hillary 2016 results + Texas wins the WH with exactly 270.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit

Not even I was ready to see just how many skeletons Bloomberg has in his pocket

He is so close to Trump when it comes to scandals its sickening even if he doesn't carry the criminal elements

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He didn't have to say them. He said that he's gonna vote for Bloomberg (whose biggest problem apparently is that he's old, not that he's a massive racist) if he's the most viable against Sanders.

Then type that. You said he'd "love" to support Bloomberg. Which is the opposite of what he said. And then implied that he would vote for Bloomberg BECAUSE he was racist - when in plain language he inferred he'd do so ins spite of that problem.

It's completely disingenuous.

Your underlying argument is perfectly fine without resorting to putting words in people's mouths. You could say:

"You'd really vote for an openly racist person simply because he's the lesser of two evils and your bigger issue is his age?"

There's nothing wrong with that argument, which is the factual one.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
I look forward to the day when the Supreme Court rules that the president has the Constitutional right to personally decide who the DOJ prosecutes and how those prosecutions are handled.

Oct 27, 2017

He found out about the Barr interview

He knew about it, and was probably told that it was mostly cover to let Barr do what Trump wants, and that Barr isn't really speaking out against him. And he probably OK'd it then, too.

He just literally can't handle the press coverage of it. The press being credulous about this and reporting it like Barr was standing up to Trump was accidentally beneficial.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
I think SC decides the race. If we see a Biden collapse there, then the key metric is where his support goes.

I never expected Pete to be doing these numbers. I don't think he did either. So that's a wild card.

I think this is Sanders' race to lose as long as he refrains from attacking any Dem organizations moving forward. His number one issue is party members who back Planned Parenthood, gun control orgs, etc.... who he flamed in 2016. If he keeps his head down, I think we're seeing the habitual Biden primary collapse.

NihonTiger

Oct 25, 2017
I'll admit

Not even I was ready to see just how many skeletons Bloomberg has in his pocket

He is so close to Trump when it comes to scandals its sickening even if he doesn't carry the criminal elements

This is why he was OK with not going to the early debates and swooping in on Super Tuesday. He's a vulture picking over the corpses after the other candidates spent months beating the crap out of each other.

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
It would be an interesting interview if someone could sit down with Trump and just read off a list of actions and ask him if he thinks that he as president can do them, because I think it would reveal pretty quickly that he just assumes that being president really is just like being a king and that there are no real limits at all. Not that it would matter too much, but would be fascinating to watch.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
I'm still waiting for someone to ask Trump basic civics questions point blank, but I guess he's going to go 4-8 years in power without that ever happening even once.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not going to rake him over the coals for this because I'm glad Bernie evolved on his gun control position (just as I like when any politician evolves on an issue), but I have a morbid curiosity about how a certain segment of his base reconciles "as the world changed, my views changed" with "he's been consistent for 30 years and doesn't take the politically expedient position!"

Deleted member 176

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm not going to rake him over the coals for this because I'm glad Bernie evolved on his gun control position (just as I like when any politician evolves on an issue), but I have a morbid curiosity about how a certain segment of his base reconciles "as the world changed, my views changed" with "he's been consistent for 30 years and doesn't take the politically expedient position!"
Because of his record, people trust that his changing views are actually changing views and not cynically motivated for political reasons. It's the "I don't say happy birthday" thing he was talking about in the NYT video.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Being lax on gun laws has been one of the examples where Sanders wasn't on the right side of history.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I have a morbid curiosity about how a certain segment of his base reconciles "as the world changed, my views changed" with "he's been consistent for 30 years and doesn't take the politically expedient position!"
Well I think that hes been consistent on a really good amount of things. His opinions on topics like Economy, Foreign Policy and Healthcare have been consistently impressive.

Even in LGBT rights with things like the trans meccas he had in Burlington.

So, since he has so much earned goodwill, people like me are more willing to excuse the moments where he has made mistakes with things like Gun Rights or how he used to approach race.

This doesnt mean like stuff like the "not voting for Gillum bc hes black doesnt make you racist" comment is a beloved Bernie moment for his supporters, ive been around Bernie circles and most people there really disliked that. But they wont make people stop supporting him because hes earned their trust.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
Ah, it's that time of the season when we start to get hyped for favorable Texas polls only for our hopes to be dashed on the rocky shores of election night. I remember this from 2016.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Because of his record, people trust that his changing views are actually changing views and not cynically motivated for political reasons. It's the "I don't say happy birthday" thing he was talking about in the NYT video.
Except his original views on guns were held entirely for political reasons! He said as much in the last debate, and in 2016 debates. If he had always held the position on gun control that he holds now, he would've had a much harder time getting elected in Vermont. I'm not really dunking on Bernie over this -- like I said I'm glad he evolved his stance -- I'm just noting it's a pretty stark rebuke to the idea that he's always been consistent when that's plainly not the case.

I don't know what Bernie not saying happy birthday has to do with anything

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
My experience with a handful of Sanders supporters IRL who I've asked about this is - they don't. They will say, unironically, unashamedly, that Bernie has never changed his views once in 40 years in one sentence, and then in the next that it's good Bernie came around to the right position on any given issue because it shows that he's learning and growing. They are fundamentally contradictory, yet everything is spun as a positive for Sanders.

The most charitable interpretation one could take is that Sanders has never changed his mind on anything that's important, suggesting the issues he has changed his mind on are unimportant. How do you tell if an issue is important or not? If Sanders changed his mind on it. And of course, this is still egregiously shitty and dismissive of gun issues, race issues etc. where Sanders has held problematic views before (and maybe still does!).

Was literally arguing with a dude once in '16 over the 94 crime bill after he said he refused to vote for Clinton because of it, and her disavowing it was just proof that she was a flip-flopper and couldn't be trusted. When I pointed out Sanders did the same thing - voted for it, campaigned on it, changed positions much later - he was like "well it's good that Bernie saw the light! Also, there were good things in the '94 crime bill, so it's not like everyone who supported it was bad." Like Jesus dude, you should be a fucking yoga champion (do those exist?) for all the knots you just twisted yourself into. For some people all it really boils down to is Bernie = Good, Not Bernie = Bad.

And of course, that isn't to say at all that every Sanders supporter is like this - I was one in 2016, will probably be one when Warren finally gives up the ghost this year - or that similar phenomena don't exist for other candidates (looking at the Bloomberg shills defending him on race right about now). I just think if you're coming at this from a perspective of "all politicians are liars and scoundrels, except this guy who is Pure and Good and of unimpeachable moral character," you've lost the plot. Don't trust politicians. You can like politicians, but no one (at least of any wider recognition) is above underhanded tactics, changing views in the interest of political expediency, or any other generality people lob at Bernie's opponents while insisting that He's Different. I don't want us to end up in the position where Bernie does some uncool shit in the presidency and people just give him a pass for it because he's their guy.

Last edited:

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
I'm still waiting for someone to ask Trump basic civics questions point blank, but I guess he's going to go 4-8 years in power without that ever happening even once.

Why, as if he'd stumble over an answer? He doesn't answer questions. He word salads you. Nothing's gunna gotcha him because he will be talking about himself in no time. And how huge they're winning Honda's the nation over.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
He knew about it, and was probably told that it was mostly cover to let Barr do what Trump wants, and that Barr isn't really speaking out against him. And he probably OK'd it then, too.

He just literally can't handle the press coverage of it. The press being credulous about this and reporting it like Barr was standing up to Trump was accidentally beneficial.
It reminds me of when Zelensky said "no pressure." Hope the media doesnt fall for this obvious ruse.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Trump's approval has been in the toilet for pretty much his entire presidency, and he doesn't have the benefits of A.) novelty or B.) people assuming that his opponent will win.

It's not guaranteed at all, but it's very possible that he gets fucking shellacked in November. Bernie should tap Beto for VP and really put Texas in play.
It would be a lot more likely if the Fed took away the punch bowl. They are enabling his re-election by illegally monetizing the soaring debt Trump has created, and by panic printing $60BN a month, rate cuts in "the greatest economy ever", as well as tens of billions of "liquidity" at some repo crisis they're trying to keep fixing by adding ever more liquidity. That's why the stock market has been on fire since September, and that makes voters feel positive or complacent towards the incumbent, and potentially fearful of radical change.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Love to support a blatant racist because Sanders is too left and his supporters were mean to me online
The only candidate I have ever 'loved' to support was Beto. I think Bernie, Biden and Bloomberg are all trash and I'd rather not vote for any of them. But at the end of the day, all are significant improvements to Trump and that's all I care about. Because make no mistake, Trump is a shit. Trump, with 4 more years and having already pushed and broken through his limitations, with no congressional oversight, will wreak unimaginable havoc on this country.

It is really annoying for people to harangue that Bloomberg has a race problem to a black guy who completely agrees and who lived in NYC while he was mayor. But far be it for my experience to dictate how you interpret my disdain of the choices we have left for the nomination while you ride on your air of moral superiority.

Status
Not open for further replies.