• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
in this situation where Bloomberg and Trump are the exact same, does Bloomberg leave the kids in cages and throw away past support to the Dreamers?

Thanks for circling this back. Some toasty takes on this (Edit: Last) page. There should be zero hesitation to vote blue and vote out Trump. At this point, it truly does not matter who the nom goes to.

It doesn't. Even comparing Bloomie to Trump is nuts.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
People believed the GOP would be FAR more moderating to Trump than they have been.

What happens when someone steps out of line and Bloomberg puts money behind ensuring they get primaried? Cause he certainly can afford to.
Stuff like that really scares me. And Bloomberg is a vindictive asshole so he would absolutely do something like that.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
People believed the GOP would be FAR more moderating to Trump than they have been.

What happens when someone steps out of line and Bloomberg puts money behind ensuring they get primaried? Cause he certainly can afford to.
Does Bloomberg suddenly become an orange tornado screaming at all disloyalty with a cultish base? Only guy honestly i could see pulling off that bully pulpit on the dem side is Bernie. He already as that passionate, loyal base there. Bloom support would basically come from a desire to beat Trump. Not a cult of Bloomberg.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This... is not an unfair observation. Instead of talking ourselves into Bloomberg before he's gotten a single vote, maybe we should cross that bridge when it arrives.
Yup. I guess to be fair there's not much to talk about, but seeing people rushing in to try and justify him is just such a bummer. I don't even want to think about how far it'll go if he starts winning delegates.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
theintercept.com

Michael Bloomberg’s Right-Wing Views on Foreign Policy Make Him a Perfect Candidate for the Republican Nomination

It’s not just domestic policies — Michael Bloomberg’s positions on the Iraq invasion, Saudi Arabia, and Israel-Palestine are extreme.
Bloomberg has spent years lauding Chinese efforts against climate change — which have been far from successful — while preventing journalists at Bloomberg News from publishing pieces critical of the regime in Beijing.

Bloomberg, on the other hand, helped launder the reputation of the crown prince in March 2018, when he hosted the reckless autocrat in New York and smiled for photos with him in a Starbucks.

Have Bloomberg's views of MBS or Saudi Arabia changed in the wake of the Khashoggi killing last October? Nope. Two months ago, the former mayor sat down for an interview with the Saudi-owned newspaper, Arab News, and heaped praise on the economic and social reforms introduced by the crown prince and his father, King Salman, claiming that the Saudi royals had "made progress" and were "going in the right direction."
No mention of Khashoggi's murder. No mention of war crimes in Yemen. No mention of imprisoned women's rights activists.
Then there is the Israel-Palestine conflict. Bloomberg is a longstanding supporter of Israel and especially Benjamin Netanyahu, who he has called a friend and wished him well on his birthday. During both the 2009 and 2014 Israeli assaults on Gaza, Bloomberg flew to Israel to express solidarity with Tel Aviv. "Israel is doing the right thing in defending itself," he said in 2009. "Israel was entirely justified" in attacking Gaza, he declared in 2014.

You might argue that Bloomberg was only parroting the standard liberal defense of Israel but, no, he went much further than that. During the 2014 bombardment of Gaza, in which more more than 500 Palestinian kids were killed, Bloomberg told CBS News that Israel "cannot have a proportional response" when fighting Hamas.
Three years later, in March 2007, the then-mayor of New York backed the Bush administration against congressional Democrats who were trying to set a timetable for the withdrawal of U.S. troops from Iraq. Bloomberg called the proposed legislation irresponsible and "untenable. "
Bloomberg is so right-wing that he makes Biden sound like Bernie. Much has been made of Bloomberg's blind defense of Wall Street, including his astonishing claim that it was Congress and "not the banks that created the mortgage crisis"; his ridiculous comparison of Warren's modest wealth tax to Venezuela; his cynically timed apology for presiding over unconstitutional "stop-and-frisk" practices in New York, as well as his shameful failure to apologize to the city's Muslim residents for subjecting them to an Orwellian surveillance regime.
There is already a right-wing billionaire in the White House who lacks foreign policy experience; supported the Iraq War debacle; and considers the prime minister of Israel, the crown prince of Saudi Arabia, and the president of China to be among his closest friends and allies.

Do we really need another one?

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
The media is basically on his side at this point and none of his competitors have enough money to run ads or make people aware of just how terrible he is. All the screeching online or at a rally or whatever won't compensate for his ability to plaster the airwaves over the entire country showing him just being normal also here's some nice things Obama said about me

Not insane at all.
Deep breaths. They are not the same. No matter how much you mistrust the establishment, there's no one on the Dem side as corrupt and enabling as McConnell. And the Dem electorate is not a cult - though the single-mindedness and paranoia of some Bernie folks makes me wonder.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg is the smarter Trump that everyone feared.

He is a fascist in waiting and you all want to give him power.

Insane.
Anecdote: I only know a few people who have Bloomberg as anywhere but their bottom tier and they literally all work in finance.
If you expect Dems will treat Bloomberg like the GOP treats Trump, then yes, it's insane.
I could see the party doing something like this, but only after 1) he wins the presidency and 2) we win the senate in large part due to him substantially funding marginal races. But we have a long ways to go before we cross either of those bridges. Personally, I don't see how Bloomberg wins the Democratic nomination without crippling our turnout in the fall. But I thought that about Trump, too!

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
If Bloomberg somehow became president and started doing the same fascist shit that Trump is doing... yeah, I'm sure there would be some among the moderate Democrats who'd let it fly in the interest of party loyalty, but you all think the Bernie wing would take that lying down? The Progressive caucus in the House is almost half the majority. There would absolutely be internal pressure to remove him or place checks on him or whatever it would come to. Bernie would still be in Congress, as would Warren. Does the revolution just die if Bloomberg somehow becomes president?

Not saying this because I stan, I really do not like him, I won't be okay with him as the nominee but I would still vote for him in the general. But also I think it's worth pointing out that if Bloomberg is as bad as Trump on some issues but better than him on others, then yes, he is literally not as bad as Trump. I guess there's a values check as far as which issues you prioritize - his history on race and gender identity are terrible and should absolutely be scrutinized. Again, I am not supporting him.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
in this situation where Bloomberg and Trump are the exact same, does Bloomberg leave the kids in cages and throw away past support to the Dreamers?
I don't get this sort of thought process

it doesn't matter if they are the exact same. But they are close enough. People should be able to point that out even if issue to issue it doesn't line up exactly

Trump changed a few of his view points to be more acceptable to the republican electorate too like abortion and whatever religious pandering he had to do that he couldn't give a fuck about. Whatever mike does won't be out of some sort of actual genuine care for people it'll be the same hollow pandering Trump does when he would misquote bible versus he didn't even read

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Bloomberg doesn't even need to get the entire party on his side. Imagine him basically making a group like the Problem Solvers into his own "squad" to effectively nuke any legislation he wants from passing in the House.

Promising if they don't he will fund challengers against them.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
The idea that the Democratic party will turn into sycophants for Bloomberg just like the GOP has for Trump assumes that Democratic voters will unite universally behind Bloomberg to grant him the same power over the party that Trump currently has....

...which is just blatant fear-mongering garbage.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Does Bloomberg suddenly become an orange tornado screaming at all disloyalty with a cultish base? Only guy honestly i could see pulling off that bully pulpit on the dem side is Bernie. He already as that passionate, loyal base there. Bloom support would basically come from a desire to beat Trump. Not a cult of Bloomberg.
Look, in this hypothetical scenario, President Bloomberg is trying to advance an anti LGBTQ+ agenda with court nominations. The Dems move to stop him. I doubt we will ever see this play out, but if it did, and he IS the type of person to want to force his anti LGBTQ+ agenda forwards, he has the money to use the same tactics Trump has used to bring the GOP to heel more than I think most of us thought he'd be able to if we're honest with ourselves.

In this hypothetical scenario, all it takes to win a Dem Primary despite being a racist transphobe is a lot of money. In that world, I don't want to bet against his ability to effectively primary people.

And I hope we aren't in that reality.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
I'm not sure if everyone knows that Y2Kev sometimes comes into threads and jokes about wealth related things. It's a long running joke not to be taken seriously in my experience.
So he's also joking about wanting a thoroughly documented racist, sexist and transphobe billionaire who is buying his way up the polls to win the nom over Warren?

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
I didn't. That was a GOP talking point and complete bs. Why would the man who rigged the judiciary and blocked election security moderate the lunatic in charge? If anything, he wants a wild executive to provide cover for his own antics.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is basically what happened to the Republicans that stood against Trump's agenda in 2017 too. They're gone now and basically Mitt Romney is the only one "holding him in check".

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017

I wonder if this is a sign the House aint gonna pursue any more shit on Ukraine
New hotness: DOJ and Roger Stone
ok veto is coming out

Looks like it's dead. Lmao.

oh, they approved it.
Lol. Nice.

He'll veto it.

So he's also joking about wanting a thoroughly documented racist, sexist and transphobe billionaire who is buying his way up the polls to win the nom over Warren?
Yes.

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

tenor.gif

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
The idea that the Democratic party will turn into sycophants for Bloomberg just like the GOP has for Trump assumes that Democratic voters will unite universally behind Bloomberg to grant him the same power over the party that Trump currently has....

...which is just blatant fear-mongering garbage.
How do we get President Bloomberg without democrats supporting him? We don't. Either his money is good enough to win primaries or it isn't. Hopefully it's not.

I don't believe we live in the world where Bloomberg wins the primaries. Maybe I'm wrong.

CrabDust

Nov 16, 2017
User banned (1 week): Dismissing concerns surrounding racism, inflammatory comparison.
Bloomberg is gonna become Soros for internet progressives isn't he?

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois

51-45: Senate votes to begin debate on resolution limiting US military action against Iran without authorization from Congress.
8 Republicans voted Yes on Iran war powers resolution by Kaine (D-VA):
Alexander-TN
Cassidy-LA
Collins-ME
Lee-UT
Moran-KS
Murkwoski-AK
Paul-KY
Young-IN

Oct 25, 2017
I don't get this sort of thought process

it doesn't matter if they are the exact same. But they are close enough. People should be able to point that out even if issue to issue it doesn't line up exactly

Trump changed a few of his view points to be more acceptable to the republican electorate too like abortion and whatever religious pandering he had to do that he couldn't give a fuck about. Whatever mike does won't be out of some sort of actual genuine care for people it'll be the same hollow pandering Trump does when he would misquote bible versus he didn't even read
My thought process is this: Bloomberg sucks, but he would probably not have kids in cages and about-face support for the Dreamers and other undocumented people, so even if I don't like him, I'm going to vote for him for their sake if I am forced to make that unfortunate choice come November. And I'm not going to get high and mighty about it, waste a vote to a third party or not vote, because I realize the realities of our shitty electoral system, and my "compromise" vote to help those kids in cages and undocumented families outweighs the disdain I have for Bloomberg and whatever moral high I'd have for saying "hey, at least I didn't vote for Bloomberg". If we get to a Bloomberg v Trump election, then that fucking sucks, but it's not going to change the reality that it will then either be one of those two, and pretending they are the same is a farce.

Meauxse

Oct 25, 2017
New Orleans, LA
Man there's a lot of you suddenly cool with racist, transphobic billionaires as long as they're not orange and have nicer hair.

I don't think anyone is cool with Bloom on Era. I haven't seen a single poster stan Bloom.

People, including myself, are arguing to vote out the known quantity in the White House, no matter what. Your attitude, and others in this thread, heavily implies that you simply won't vote for the Blue nom if it is Bloom. Mentality like that allows Trump to keep his presidency. Is that something you want?

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
This is basically what happened to the Republicans that stood against Trump's agenda in 2017 too. They're gone now and basically Mitt Romney is the only one "holding him in check".

The difference is, Trump was where the majority of Republican's actually were. The Republican Senate & House caucus in 2016 was actually to the left of the median Republican, especially on cultural issues.

There's no evidence of that being true w/ Bloomberg. It's also why the party won't "bend the knee" to Sanders, either, on the other end of things.

Democrat's and Republican's are actually two seperate parties, with two different coalitions, and as a result, two different ways of dealing with leadership within the party.

If Bloomberg tried to primary say, a center-left Senator from Michigan because he voted against some conservative policy proposal of Bloomberg, it likely wouldn't work, because the incumbent could campaign on values the Democratic Party voting base actually supports. The reason Tea Party & Trump could primary people is because their values were close to the GOP base than Republican's who only wanted to be terrible 90% of the time.

The other thing is, on the things Republican politicians and donors care about (taxes and social welfare programs), Trump "bended the knee" to the Republican's. A Trump who actually tried to raise taxes on the rich and pass some weird version of UHC would get knifed by the GOP.

LGHT_TRSN

Oct 25, 2017
How do we get President Bloomberg without democrats supporting him? We don't. Either his money is good enough to win primaries or it isn't. Hopefully it's not.

I don't believe we live in the world where Bloomberg wins the primaries. Maybe I'm wrong.

The same way we've won elections before without the Democratic base worshiping the POTUS as a do-no-wrong God-Emperor? Have people suddenly forgot what politics were like before Trump?

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think anyone is cool with Bloom on Era. I haven't seen a single poster stan Bloom.

People, including myself, are arguing to vote out the known quantity in the White House, no matter what. Your attitude, and others in this thread, heavily implies that you simply won't vote for the Blue nom if it is Bloom. Mentality like that allows Trump to keep his presidency. Is that something you want?
I swear it's impossible to discuss hypotheticals and future potentials in this thread anymore. We are constantly inundated with takes that can't understand the nuance of talking about a WORST CASE BLOOM vs TRUMP scenario, and can only boil it down into simple binary 'oh now you like bloom huh, wow this thread!'

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Bloomberg doesn't even need to get the entire party on his side. Imagine him basically making a group like the Problem Solvers into his own "squad" to effectively nuke any legislation he wants from passing in the House.

Promising if they don't he will fund challengers against them.
Its impressive that we're coming up with scenarios where we win and then the party collapses. Peak Dems in Disarray.

New hotness: DOJ and Roger Stone
Call me when the subpoenas hit.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Okay so we're supposed to vote for a richer climate change denying, transphobic, islamophobic racist over the poorer one?

Oct 25, 2017

Bloomberg is also a known quantity and that knowledge is exactly why he is unacceptable to a lot of people who have a clue about what a fucking horrible piece of shit he is.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
The same way we've won elections before without the Democratic base worshiping the POTUS as a do-no-wrong God-Emperor? Have people suddenly forgot what politics were like before Trump?

I actually think a major program when it comes to actual conversations is a lot of people actually have no real knowledge of politics before 2016, beside a vague, 'Obama won, and the GOP blocked him from doing things' kind of way.

Boss

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I swear it's impossible to discuss hypotheticals and future potentials in this thread anymore. We are constantly inundated with takes that can't understand the nuance of talking about a WORST CASE BLOOM vs TRUMP scenario, and can only boil it down into simple binary 'oh now you like bloom huh, wow this thread!'
There is no nuance, don't vote for the racists.

Status
Not open for further replies.