• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017

Blader

Oct 27, 2017

Something similar I saw in Politico this morning:

Altogether, the 11 Democratic candidates who are not self-funding their campaigns and the DNC combined to raise at least $463 million in 2019 (including at least $17 million raised last quarter by Warren.) That's more than Trump and his allied committees, including the RNC, which brought in at least $402 million in 2019, though not all committees have reported their totals.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
My mom totally believed "Trump will become Presidential. It's all an act."
sigh

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Reposting Michael McFaul's take in light of the Iraqi parliament meeting:

That's a bad sign. Many are already assuming that the US is about to get pulled into a hot war with Iran. But the opposite could also happen-- we get kicked out of Iraq & Iran increases its (already considerable) influence in Iraq and Syria. Precarious moment.

SerAardvark

Oct 25, 2017
Luckily the administration has the kind of mature, competent, foreign policy leadership and knowledge to carefully and diplomatically navigate the situation and avoid further degradation of things in the Middle East.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Lets not try to beatify someone who was supplying ground forces for Assad's butchering.
There are no good guys in the Middle East, everything is a mess. American hegemony was wasted in a part of the world that we don't understand and tried to fix solely with bombs. It's maddening how much that part of the world dominates our foreign policy and how absolutely wrong it has all gone. The only explanation is that oil and money have corrupted everything and that the powers to be really don't want a solution as long as they keep getting rich and oil stays cheap.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
Was Soliemani responsible for the thousand plus killed Iranian civilians in the recent protests inside Iran like a poster in OT claims?

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
I thought we knew this already. I remember Maddow mentioning VTB in some context to Trumps finances months ago. It's hard to keep this Russia shit straight
that's probably fake news.

Scott Stedman is pretty fucking legit, so I don't think this is fake news.

Also, never forget:
"I said, 'Eric, who's funding? I know no banks — because of the recession, the Great Recession — have touched a golf course. You know, no one's funding any kind of golf construction. It's dead in the water the last four or five years,'" the writers told WBUR.

"And this is what he said. He said, 'Well, we don't rely on American banks. We have all the funding we need out of Russia.' I said, 'Really?' And he said, 'Oh, yeah. We've got some guys that really, really love golf, and they're really invested in our programs. We just go there all the time.'"

This new stuff is just providing a little more info.

Oct 25, 2017
There are no good guys in the Middle East, everything is a mess.

This is honestly an insultingly cynical take on the ME and peoples there. There are plenty of good guys in the ME, we saw that with the Arab Spring. The constant conflict we have is still a legacy of the Imperial age that sought to wedge ethnic conflict as a means of control, then leaving borders and sectarian conflict as a parting gift.

The other part is a reliance of evil people to keep order, the Assads, Khomeinis, and Huesseins of the region are being propped up to try to achieve short term order with the cost of long term bloodshed. The "shouldn't be our problem, they're jsut savages anyway" only ensures that the conflicts continue.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@mkraju
McConnell defends his coordination with the WH on trial and notes Schumer coordinating with Pelosi. "So it's OK to have consultation with the prosecution but not the defendant?" He says that House Democrats "flinched" by not sending over the articles of impeachment to the Senate
12:15 - 3 Jan 2020

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

This prez walked away from the Iran Nuclear Deal for peace, threatened the "end of Iran," killed top Iranian general w/out AUMF from Congress & abandoned our Kurdish allies fighting ISIS. Americans deserve better answers rather than dangerous disruption in the entire Middle East!

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

We're on the brink of yet another war in the Middle East—one that would be devastating in terms of lives lost and resources wasted. We're not here by accident. We're here because a reckless president, his allies, and his administration have spent years pushing us here.

Donald Trump ripped up an Iran nuclear deal that was working. He's repeatedly escalated tensions. Now he's assassinated a senior foreign military official. He's been marching toward war with Iran since his first days in office—but the American people won't stand for it.

All three of my brothers served in uniform. I know the sacrifices we ask of them and their families. Trump's actions put every service member and diplomat in the region at risk. This is a moment for vigilance—for Americans to speak up and speak out. No more Middle East wars.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
This is honestly an insultingly cynical take on the ME and peoples there. There are plenty of good guys in the ME, we saw that with the Arab Spring. The constant conflict we have is still a legacy of the Imperial age that sought to wedge ethnic conflict as a means of control, then leaving borders and sectarian conflict as a parting gift.

The other part is a reliance of evil people to keep order, the Assads, Khomeinis, and Huesseins of the region are being propped up to try to achieve short term order with the cost of long term bloodshed. The "shouldn't be our problem, they're jsut savages anyway" only ensures that the conflicts continue.
You're right it is very cynical. 20 years of failed US policy has made me cynical. You're right that there are good people in the Middle East, that wasn't what I was trying to say. But our policies and goals have seemingly failed entirely, so I'm not sure how we can go about fixing it when we're the ones who are most responsible for breaking everything. Until we can figure out an effective long-term strategy, we aren't doing a whole lot of good over there. Our foreign policy in the region is bi-polar at best, and short-sighted in the extreme, and that goes back to Clinton. We had an opportunity to do some good in places like Afghanistan and Iraq and completely botched it. Now we have the lion by the tail, you don't dare let it go but you're just making it worse by holding it.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I used to hope the recession would hit this year, to plummet Trump's poll numbers before the election. Now I'm terrified about what he will do if that starts to happen. He is so reckless and emboldened thanks to the Senate, it is truly scary.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@axios
In contrast to his usual support of Trump and his policies, GOP Sen. Rand Paul tweeted that Trump should have asked for congressional approval before authorizing a drone strike that killed Qasem Soleimani.https://www.axios.com/rand-paul-criticize-trump-soleimani-death-a33cb24e-72de-4409-9cf8-574dcc8c69a9.html

Sho_Nuff82

Nov 14, 2017
Shut everything down.

Michael Tracey and Tulsi Gabbard just came out publicly against the president. Tracey said he'd vote for Biden to get Trump out of office.

Greenwald is still tweeting about the fall of American journalism though.

Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
I know he's a bad guy, but are we allowed to just assassinate high level government officials of other countries? And we did it on allied territory without their authorization? And it was done at a major commercial international airport?

Not that the Trump administration cares, but it feels like we've violated several international laws and probably some of our own too. Does anybody have a sense of the legality of it? What stops Iran from assassinating a member of Congress overseas?
"Legality" is a word that only means something if people are held accountable to it. Legality matters to a shoplifter because if they get caught, they will be held accountable. Who exactly is going to hold the most powerful people in the world accountable? It turns out the answer is "no one," so legality is completely fucking meaningless. Yeah, it was illegal, and immoral, and there's not a fucking thing anyone will do to enforce any of it because the world is a bullshit place run by garbage people. We've built up a system based on gentlemen's agreements, and it turns out if you turn over control to a narcissistic sociopath, they won't honor that code. Who fucking knew?

Status
Not open for further replies.