• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
People want help with health care, housing and education/childcare costs. Specifically these things.

This doesn't translate to "burn it all down."

oh, totally.

This is why I think Bernie Sanders, an incrementalist reformist in the social democratic tradition whose agenda is no more ambitious than aligning America with other OECD countries, has a good shot at the presidency, whereas a burn it all down seize the means of production communist would not.

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
What are the odds that if the impeachment runs through the SOTU, trump goes off-script during it and says some bananas shit like as if at a rally?

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
[removing original link, as this all seems to be speculation and misinformation]
So is this real? Any other reports?

EDIT - Seems unlikely.
Iran's state-run Channel One network also peddled a theory that a senior CIA official named Michael D'Andrea had been on the plane.

In reports broadcast by the channel, a photo of actor Fredric Lehne — who played a character inspired by D'Andrea in the 2012 movie "Zero Dark Thirty" — was shown instead of D'Andrea himself.

Channel One also claimed that D'Andrea — who leads the CIA's activities on Iran — played a key role in the US assassination of Iranian military general Qassem Soleimani, according to BBC Monitoring.

It's not clear if this is true, and the CIA declined to comment when contacted by Business Insider.
Two sets of remains have been recovered at the site where an American military plane crashed in Taliban-controlled territory outside Kabul, Afghanistan, on Monday, American military officials said, after a day in which United States forces struggled to get to the site.

American officials had indicated on Monday that they thought the two-person crew of the plane had most likely not survived the crash, which occurred in the district of Deh Yak in Ghazni Province during a day of harsh weather.
Further confusing the situation, reports in Iranian news and social media framed the crash as a retaliation for the death of Maj. Gen. Qassim Suleimani, the powerful Iranian commander killed in an American drone strike in Baghdad. Iranian news media reports went as far identifying a C.I.A. official they said had been killed in the plane, which they said was shot down. American officials dismissed those reports.

Last edited:

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Which is a sign this was a very, very, very bad argument to make.

My hot take is I don't really see why calling Hunter Biden as a witness matters. He isn't going to go up there and say "yes, while I was in the Ukraine doing corruption." For all we know he genuinely believes he deserves these jobs!

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
So, trump lobbyist George Nader who confessed to child sex crimes just got a reduced sentence from multiple LIFE terms down to just 10 years.
That is a huge reduced sentence for something that he was caught red-handed with. Wonder why? Only thing I could think of is a huge plea, giving something/someone up - but what/who?

EPZDMinXsAA_vrf

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
The Quinn results with Bloomberg above Warren with black voters...

I can only assume this is the fear of woman electability in play.

Oct 27, 2017
oh, totally.

This is why I think Bernie Sanders, an incrementalist reformist in the social democratic tradition whose agenda is no more ambitious than aligning America with other OECD countries, has a good shot at the presidency, whereas a burn it all down seize the means of production communist would not.

That's not how he and his campaign are selling this. They are selling it as "Our Revolution".

And unfortunately what comes with an expectation of a revolution is an expectation of achieving newfound progress without progression. But as noted by your excellent post a day or so ago about endorsements and working for a campaign, people actually need to be willing to participate in the progression - sometimes alongside those whose views are sub-optimal but will put in the work for a better ticket.

One of the reasons people are so bothered by the Rogan endorsement is that there's no evidence Rogan or those out there cheering the endorsement are willing to work on the "progression" portion of progress. They also know that the expectation of table-upturning revolution will not be met, and (as mentioned by others before) some supporters will blithely (or in the name of "fair-mindedness") continue to bully minorities of race and gender with the campaign having received "reaching out"-type endorsements such as Rogan.

But if people really want to make waves, things CAN be done at near-revolution speed at the state level. That is, if people participate in and elect representatives that will give statehouses majorities to pass the kind of legislation they want, and governors to sign them and do some of the things they seem to have outsized-unilateral power to do. Sanders or any president isn't just going to be able to solve California's and Mississippi's and Michigan's problems all on their own.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
Remember when Feinstein didn't remove the Confederate flag from flagpole outside San Francisco City Hall in the early 80's? Sure it was a long time ago, but she's just a history of red flags.

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017

Graham's argument: Calling witnesses would drag out the proceedings and lead to legal challenges that he believes could lead to damaging precedents for the US

Damaging precedents of... accountability?

WH just held a call with a source "on the legal team." Source was asked if WH lawyers had been briefed on the contents of Bolton's manuscript. Source said lawyers had not "reviewed" the manuscript. But have you been briefed? "We're not going to get into further details."

Status
Not open for further replies.