• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Voyager

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Then let me propose this to you- what could you live with more:

A) Democratic House (245) and a Democratic Senate (lets say 54), with a Trump second term.
or
B) Democratic President (take your pick who), with a Democratic House (around the same numbers as now) with a Republican Senate that is 52-48. McConnell is as emboldened as ever.

I like these types of what ifs and political theorycrafting.
I'd take a democratic Senate without the presidency if Schumer ran the Senate like McConnell until we got a Democratic President. However, I don't see that ever happening.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017

A) Democratic House (245) and a Democratic Senate (lets say 54), with a Trump second term.
or
B) Democratic President (take your pick who), with a Democratic House (around the same numbers as now) with a Republican Senate that is 52-48. McConnell is as emboldened as ever.

A, Fuck McConnell so much.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Iowa is gonna stress me out over the next week. Bernie needs Warren to come in under 15% but still enough that her supporters will keep him above Biden in round 2, or he needs both Klob and Butt to hit viability so they're locked in, or he needs to have such an overwhelming amount in round 1 that he can't be reached in round 2 etc etc

I'll have a heart attack for him so he doesn't have to.
The rounds aren't statewide they're precinct by precinct. So, if precinct A in the middle of nowhere has Warren 40% Bernie 14% and Biden 14%, Warren takes all the delegates from that precinct. Then again, Warren not getting 15% makes more delegates for Biden and Bernie, but it's marginal. Iowa doesn't have enough delegates to make a difference. It's more symbolic.

SwordsmanofS

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd take a democratic Senate without the presidency if Schumer ran the Senate like McConnell until we got a Democratic President. However, I don't see that ever happening.
A, Fuck McConnell so much.
Interesting you should say that, since there is a very real chance that depending on who we nominate, and how close the election is, we could end up with a scenario where we have a Republican Senate with 52 or 53 majority.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The thing with McConnell and either Biden or Bernie is that he ends up hamstringing their first two years. Voters punish *the president* for that and hand the GOP majorities in both chambers again. Then Biden/Bernie are unable to go for a second term and we get something even worse, especially as the next recession hits in 2021 and the government's inability to respond due to McConnell makes things even worse.

It's really, really crucial that we take the Senate or else winning the presidency will be almost worse than worthless.

While a Trump reelection will fuck the Supreme Court through 2050 or so, the swing back to Dems in 2022 would tee us up for an effective win in 2024. Biden or Bernie without the Senate is going to be as bad as Hillary without the Senate would have been, for the party's prospects.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
Really? if its Friday, when do they vote to acquit? Same day, don't they want to finish this before the SOTU?
IIRC the talking heads on msnbc were saying Wednesday for the witness vote (and it's a vote to just consider witnesses period, not a specific person I think). Suppose it could be even sooner than Wednesday considering the non-defense being put up by Trump's team.

Happo

Jul 5, 2018
IIRC the talking heads on msnbc were saying Wednesday for the witness vote (and it's a vote to just consider witnesses period, not a specific person I think). Suppose it could be even sooner than Wednesday considering the non-defense being put up by Trump's team.
They'll just use monday for the rest of their defense, but i guess they'll try to cram the 16 hours of questions and the witness votes on 2 days(Tuesday-Wednesday).

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Spoke with a friend tonight who is working in Iowa on a campaign. My only takeaway was that lots of people have heard about the stapler and the salad comb, but not enough have heard about Amy Klobuchar dumping her staffer's purse out of the window of a moving car.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
I have a suspicion that there's more than just Romney (who has publicly said he's in favor of it) in the backroom's saying they want witness testimony now. More and more news feels like its pushing towards there being more discomforted Republicans than we can see in public.

Hence the Heads on a Pike threat. My thing is, we don't know if they're breaking and Moscow Mitch is holding them back, or if they are still holding themselves from fear and anger at it being the party's death to do it and are lashing out.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand

or

The preference (and likely outcome?) here has to be B, surely. A neutered Democratic President still has the power of executive orders, and can unpick some of the damage Trump has done. And given the Senate map gets more favourable in 2022 (right?), then you'd potentially get to a place where you could be productive in the second half of the term. Not to mention what might with Supreme court vacancies over the next 4 years (you might not be able to fill them without the Senate, but at least somebody Trump nominated wouldn't be railroaded through).

Trump has already shown he doesn't care for political norms and the "gentlemens agreements" of the past. And the system has proven inadequate in terms of checks and balances on his power, and that doesn't seem likely to change much even if Republicans lost the Senate. If he got elected again, that means he got through impeachment "unscathed", and he managed to get away with all the other stuff he's done in his first term he should have been impeached and removed for but didn't. He'd be emboldened, claim a mandate, and things in a practical sense would likely get a lot worse. At an absolute minimum, he'd continue looting the country for personal gain.

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
I think we need one more drop to get witnesses. Parnas, Bolton, and...?

edit: I'm counting those as info drops, not witnesses FYI. Bolton would def be on witness list but nobody in the senate is going to touch Parnas with a 10 foot pole.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
So basically the new career path for GOP politicians is:

- Do nothing to stop bad things from happening while you have the actual power to do so
- Later, write a book where you dish dirt. Act like this is "just doing my duty as a patriotic American"

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
If we somehow got 55 Senate seats but Trump won re-election this year, the silver lining is we'd probably enjoy a midterm bounce in a much better Senate map. Here's what we'd be looking at in terms of potential pickups:

Arizona - actually assuming we'd hold this by now, since Kelly winning is one of the lower-hanging fruit. If we won 55 Senate seats we'd have to have put Arizona away.

Florida - I know the state disappointed in 2018, but it's still a naturally competitive state. Nonzero chance Rubio retires anyway, since he wanted to in 2016.

Georgia - refer back to Arizona, it's not as obviously flippable but if we got to 55, it probably means we won Georgia's special election (and probably their regular election, too).

Iowa - Grassley is old as shit and thus would likely retire, and Democrats won the House vote in 2018.

Missouri - probably a stretch, but maybe Kander would be willing to run, especially if Blunt retires. Kander lost by 3 in 2016 while sharing the ticket with Clinton, whereas McCaskill lost by 6 in a much better environment for Democrats, so I think you could make the case that Kander could win an open seat during a Trump six-year-itch, even with Missouri being as far gone as it is. Still doubtful.

North Carolina - red-leaning swing state, possibly open seat (I believe Burr said he'd retire at the end of this term). Would definitely be a tier two pickup right behind Pennsylvania and Wisconsin.

Ohio - like Missouri, probably a stretch, especially since Portman has Kasich-esque, fake moderate popularity in a state that's moving right. Still worth keeping on the board, IMO - Brown is obviously a rare breed, but he still won, as did two Supreme Court candidates in Republican-held seats. Still, losing the gubernatorial race was probably a sign that Ohio won't be winnable in a normal environment anytime soon.

Pennsylvania - an obvious flip opportunity. Toomey isn't very popular as far as I'm aware, and the state went hard left in 2018. I think it's worth targeting even if Democrats win the presidency.

Wisconsin - pretty much the above, but with the added benefit that Johnson also made a "I'll retire after two terms" promise that would leave the seat open if he sticks to it. Evers' close win gave a lot of folks pause about Wisconsin, but it's important to remember that Democrats won the generic House vote by a much wider margin, as did Baldwin in winning re-election.

...and that's probably it. In a 2022 midterm under President Trump, I could see Democrats flipping FL-IA-NC-PA-WI at most. MO-OH are just a bridge too far, and if we're assuming we hold 55 seats it means we're probably playing defense in AZ-GA. That gets us to 60, still 7 short of removing Trump. Maybe Democrats could convince Trump to sign statehood for DC and Puerto Rico which would give us four extra Senators, but that still leaves us at 64, and that would raise the 2/3rds threshold anyway (if I'm not mistaken, to 69 - nice).

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
That progressive mayor Ted Terry running a long-shot bid for GA Senate has dropped out and will run for DeKalb County Commissioner instead

Some other news tucked away in his letter to supporters going out tomorrow: @tedterry1 will resign as mayor of Clarskton in March to run for the DeKalb Super District 6 seat. #gasen #gapolhttps://www.gpbnews.org/post/clarkston-mayor-ted-terry-dropping-senate-bid-run-dekalb-commission …

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
y tho?

There has been no shortage of incriminating evidence
Timing matters: it happening during h th e trial when the spotlight is on the senators.
Appearances matter: It being a "leak" vs something the house managers brought over with the articles.

Similar reasons why ukraine whistleblower was more impactful than mueller. For better or worse.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The preference (and likely outcome?) here has to be B, surely. A neutered Democratic President still has the power of executive orders, and can unpick some of the damage Trump has done. And given the Senate map gets more favourable in 2022 (right?), then you'd potentially get to a place where you could be productive in the second half of the term. Not to mention what might with Supreme court vacancies over the next 4 years (you might not be able to fill them without the Senate, but at least somebody Trump nominated wouldn't be railroaded through).

Trump has already shown he doesn't care for political norms and the "gentlemens agreements" of the past. And the system has proven inadequate in terms of checks and balances on his power, and that doesn't seem likely to change much even if Republicans lost the Senate. If he got elected again, that means he got through impeachment "unscathed", and he managed to get away with all the other stuff he's done in his first term he should have been impeached and removed for but didn't. He'd be emboldened, claim a mandate, and things in a practical sense would likely get a lot worse. At an absolute minimum, he'd continue looting the country for personal gain.

The issue is that the 2022 elections *will* be an anti-Democratic backlash if we win the White House. Take all of the midterms since 1946, a sample of 19, and only three of them have not had that happen (1962 which was a wash and 1998 and 2002 where the President's party gained). You can't rely on things getting better. Especially since the odds of Biden or Sanders going two terms are fairly low, they will be lame ducks if they don't get that Senate, because they're not going to get it afterwards. The most we could hope for from *either* of them in that case is simply stopping the country from getting actively worse, they'd have no power to make things better beyond fixing Trump's executive fuckery, which is merely turning back the clock to 1/1/2017.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just got some white fragility. I posted about the Amtrak NAACP incident that was Rosa Parks esque over a week ago and said "White people sure want to make America "Great Again"". My white cousin in law just responds minutes ago with "Not all 'white people' support what he did. He acted on his own. You sound like you don't like white people."

theprodigy

Oct 25, 2017

It's Emerson but lol. "A plurality of Gabbard supporters (35%) will leave the caucus if she does not reach viability, followed by 26% who would move to Warren, and 18% who would move to Sanders." This does not compute. The leaving part sounds about right but Warren getting most Tulsi second votes. Abolish Emerson.

What did you expect from crosstabs on 5%, it's incredibly noisy and that's not just an Emerson thing.

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The rounds aren't statewide they're precinct by precinct. So, if precinct A in the middle of nowhere has Warren 40% Bernie 14% and Biden 14%, Warren takes all the delegates from that precinct. Then again, Warren not getting 15% makes more delegates for Biden and Bernie, but it's marginal. Iowa doesn't have enough delegates to make a difference. It's more symbolic.

This is so complicated. Just switch to a primary already!

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
The issue is that the 2022 elections *will* be an anti-Democratic backlash if we win the White House. Take all of the midterms since 1946, a sample of 19, and only three of them have not had that happen (1962 which was a wash and 1998 and 2002 where the President's party gained). You can't rely on things getting better. Especially since the odds of Biden or Sanders going two terms are fairly low, they will be lame ducks if they don't get that Senate, because they're not going to get it afterwards. The most we could hope for from *either* of them in that case is simply stopping the country from getting actively worse, they'd have no power to make things better beyond fixing Trump's executive fuckery, which is merely turning back the clock to 1/1/2017.

It's been discussed before in these threads that midterm precedent wouldn't necessarily apply given the way the particular races coming up and that there is some baked in favourability for Democrats. I'm not informed enough to argue it other than to remember I believe that's the general sentiment (am happy to be corrected). Of course, an ineffectual first two years could certainly be problematic and erase any current strategic advantage.

Regardless of what happened in the midterms (and I already conceded in my post winning the Senate wasn't a given), I think it would still be better to have a Democratic President without the Senate at least initially than 4 more years of Trump doubling down. Most of the damage he has done hasn't needed legislation to pass both houses, and he'll dial up that approach to 11. And "merely turning back the clock to 2017" would be a damn sight better than where things are now.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Omfg. My cousin in law did it again. He responded I shot him down hard and went in on white fragility and just like he's done before he deleted everything.

adamsappel

Oct 27, 2017
Warren on just now, she's "doing great", no mention of Kobe though.

Two other Senators (R and D) not running for Pres said some condolence words about Kobe tonight, but not Warren. This was a chance for Warren to be presidential for a moment without doing a phony-Romney-style press conference, even if basketball or sports may not be on her radar currently. Oh well.
It's possible that she didn't want to express condolences about the death of a man credibly accused of rape. Expressing sympathy for everyone else would also highlight that she didn't say it about him.

Status
Not open for further replies.