• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Probably late to the discussion on thus and my anecdotal experience isn't gospel but... As someone who grew up in rural Indiana, it's not about college education, it's about being exposed to outside influences. The education they need is a sense of the world outside their communities.

I went to school with plenty of genuinely smart, friendly people who were also completely ass backwards because they'd never ventured outside their lily white bubbles except for a week or two visiting places like Chicago or Indianapolis and as a rule, sticking to the "safe" (read: white) parts of said cities. These are folks who had never been around an (out) LGBT individual, for whom Latinx and African American people were distant, far-off people who you only heard of in problematic terms on the local news, stealing jobs and making cities unsafe.

I'm not justifying people being racist (a vote for a Republican, or even abstaining from voting is still a vote for pure evil in the times we live in), just explaining how in 2019 we have such backward ass people; they live in bubbles that sustain generation after generation of ignorance.

Edit: I'm not sure how you fix it, since it requires people to live, work and learn along side people from outside their bubble. But since there's little to no incentive for minorities to move into white communities it rarely seems to happen (and when it does, those people are viewed as invaders, there to take jobs or commit crimes), I think the only other option is to get white people out of their bubble. The only thing that seems to work is pop cultural osmosis, but that takes a long time and is being counteracted by the way people consume media now vs. the late 90s/early 00s.
I'm from Kentucky, but yeah it's this exactly. People are never exposed to anyone markedly different than themselves in these little podunk lily white towns, so they turn into massive dumbasses who fear what they don't understand.
Also from (northern) Indiana and I used to think the same, but I'm not really convinced it's the whole story.

Since graduating high school, I know plenty of people from my hometown who work in the factories now (where pretty much everyone there works). There's a sizable amount of black and latinx people working alongside them in those factories, but if anything it seems like that only makes their racism even more overt once they clock out and go back to their social media/social circles. Socialization/exposure, at least in the work environment, has done nothing to mitigate these people's virulent bigotry. I can't imagine going to college would have "fixed" these people anymore than the diverse work environment did(n't).

Granted, my school system was at least 95% white, while there were schools 20 minutes away in South Bend that are overwhelmingly non-white. So maybe socialization and exposure at a younger age would help a lot, but it seems like by the time most of these people are 18, they're irredeemably shitty.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
You all need to stop panicking and vote what your conscious feels. Don't vote pragmatically in the primary. As long as voter turnout is high next year, I believe Sanders or Warren have a strong chance to be nominated. I view polls as suggestions, not foregone conclusions. People will decide on voting day who will be nominated, ultimately.
I said earlier I'd reconsider my support for Warren based on those polls, but I've cooled down a bit.

If Biden's all he's cracked up to be, he'll have no problem winning without my vote. And of course, if he wins the nomination, I will do my part to help him keep Minnesota blue (something I took for granted in 2016 and came very close to being burned on). Until then, it's Warren, baby.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

With all the focus on impeachment, Sen. Collins has quietly amassed a voting record on par with moderate Democrats this year. Has supported Trump on just a third of major votes in Congress, according to 538's key vote tallies (natl emergency, CRAs)

She's starting to play that game again. Gideon and the DSCC need to keep hammering her on Kavanaugh, the anti-choice judges, and McConnell.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Hilton is a conspiracy loon. Harf worked for the state department and says there's no evidence for the crazy shit the dude is saying.

Justin Baragona @justinbaragona

So, ummm, WOW!

Fox News host Steve Hilton straight-up accuses his Fox News colleague Marie Harf of "covering up the corruption" of the Bidens in Ukraine because she worked at the State Dept during the Obama years.

"Are you kidding me?!?!" Harf yells at one point.

12:38 PM - Nov 4, 2019

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Maggie Haberman @maggieNYT

NEW - at a recent dinner of Republicans, RNC aides said they'd had a robocall effort to overwhelm House Democrats phones,
Per two ppl briefed. RNC, asked about the calls, says it was live caller surveys connected voters to members. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/11/04/us/politics/impeachment-republican-national-committee.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share … via @NYTimes

6:01 PM - Nov 4, 2019

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
If Biden wins, he probably needs to pick Whitmer. She can solidify MI (even though I think it's better than the Siena poll indicates) and probably boost him a bit in WI and PA. And if he's leading in AZ on his own, even more insurance.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I said earlier I'd reconsider my support for Warren based on those polls, but I've cooled down a bit.

If Biden's all he's cracked up to be, he'll have no problem winning without my vote. And of course, if he wins the nomination, I will do my part to help him keep Minnesota blue (something I took for granted in 2016 and came very close to being burned on). Until then, it's Warren, baby.
People said the same thing about Hillary in 2016 ("if she's really going to win, then she'll win anyway"). Hillary lost.

It's not just about what you want. It's about what's best for the party and for the country.

If we're still seeing these numbers in 3 months, then I'd say continuing to vote for Warren is inviting serious risk at a time when we really can't afford it. Especially since the primary and general are so different with a divided electorate (we do not want to get into the position where the only person who could win a primary couldn't ever win a general).

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
If we're still seeing these numbers in 3 months, then I'd say continuing to vote for Warren is inviting serious risk at a time when we really can't afford it. Especially since the primary and general are so different with a divided electorate (we do not want to get into the position where the only person who could win a primary couldn't ever win a general).

That's baseless fear-mongering. Sanders or Warren can bring out a high turnout of voter enthusiasm. Why settle for the safe pick when you can (for once) choose a candidate who inspires significant change?

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
everything you're seeing in these polls will be compounded by the fact that independent, middle america hates 'smart' 'liberals'. everything about warren we like is not going to be received well by a lot of people. we're in populist times and your rhetoric needs to have an enemy to call out that isn't just 'republicans.' bernie's millionaihs and billionaih shtick lands with that hunger for populism and is the perfect response to trump's right-wing, immigrant-scapegoating messaging

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
everything you're seeing in these polls will be compounded by the fact that independent, middle america hates 'smart' 'liberals'. everything about warren we like is not going to be received well by a lot of people. we're in populist times and your rhetoric needs to have an enemy to call out that isn't just 'republicans.' bernie's millionaihs and billionaih shtick lands with that hunger for populism and is the perfect response to trump's right-wing, immigrant-scapegoating messaging

Then why is Bernie underperforming Biden?

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
People said the same thing about Hillary in 2016 ("if she's really going to win, then she'll win anyway"). Hillary lost.

It's not just about what you want. It's about what's best for the party and for the country.

I mean, I should hope it's clear that "Biden can win without my vote" is a statement that applies exclusively to the primary.

If Biden loses the primary, then I don't think he would have been a very impressive candidate.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
everything about warren we like is not going to be received well by a lot of people. we're in populist times and your rhetoric needs to have an enemy to call out that isn't just 'republicans.'

Don't say we when you don't mean it! I feel like this comment demonstrates you don't know much about Warren's campaign.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Warren shit talks the millionaires and billionaires a ton as well, second only to Sanders. Last thing I think of when I see Warren is a rich elite.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I should hope it's clear that "Biden can win without my vote" is a statement that applies exclusively to the primary.

If Biden loses the primary, then I don't think he would have been a very impressive candidate.
You don't see how a candidate could fail in a Democratic primary (among a subset of only Democratic voters) but still be favored in a general?

Because if not, I think it puts a lot of your other impressions and analyses in a very unflattering light.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I disagree. They don't matter now, but when it's only Biden, Sanders, and Warren on the stage, with the latter two hammering Biden with criticism, he will fall like a stack of cards.

I doubt it. The average person watching these debates are getting a very different impression of what's occurring then people here or in the Twitter bubble.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
That's baseless fear-mongering. Sanders or Warren can bring out a high turnout of voter enthusiasm. Why settle for the safe pick when you can (for once) choose a candidate who inspires significant change?
Because if it doesn't pan out you have 4 more years of Trump.

I vastly prefer either Bernie or Warren to Biden but I don't get completely downplaying the fear of nominating them either. There's a lot more at stake now than there was in 2016.

Oct 25, 2017
Warren is literally the the most populist candidate right now lol. Literally her first message on her website, the first thing she brings up in every appearance, is ending Washington corruption. She's railing against the rich elites. She's tackling the stranglehold money has on our politics. What is more populist than that????

RDreamer

Oct 25, 2017
Why does it feel like everyone pretends Democrats can't play to their base and then pivot toward the center at least in messaging and theme?

Democrats and Republicans have done it in the past, but now we're getting this sky is falling shit because a message meant to woo primary voters might not be the best in the general? No one ever seems to complain when Republicans say some shit that would turn off a huge portion of the country.

Deleted member 2426

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bernie going up 4 points in Biden Consult's Early States poll. Can we say Berniementum!?
EIkIjA8UUAExcUl

Is Warren peaking? Seems like it!

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
You don't see how a candidate could fail in a Democratic primary (among a subset of only Democratic voters) but still be favored in a general?

Because if not, I think it puts a lot of your other impressions and analyses in a very unflattering light.
Biden is currently leading national polling in the Democratic primary by more than 8 points.

Him somehow blowing that would not fill me with confidence about his electability in a general election, which is allegedly his greatest strength!

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I'm going to say something about Warren's messaging that I've said in the past about her in regards to black voters, but now I'm wondering, looking at these numbers, if it might be worth widening the tent on my opinion

Her "You don't get what you don't fight for" style of messaging is inherently elitist. It's almost disrespectful in tone to the people out there who view just getting by day-to-day as a "fight."

if I were a person of color in her camp with sway, I'd be shouting that right about now.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
I disagree. They don't matter now, but when it's only Biden, Sanders, and Warren on the stage, with the latter two hammering Biden with criticism, he will fall like a stack of cards.
I doubt it. The average person watching these debates are getting a very different impression of what's occurring then people here or in the Twitter bubble.

I think both these takes are partially true. The impact of the debate on the average viewer is relatively muted (although the impact of individual clips is higher).

Where the debates really matter is in the behavior of high-value donors and party elites, and among these people, the debates have already done a lot to shake Biden's position. The problem is that these people can't go to Bernie or Warren because they aren't running donor-driven campaigns! Hence, the evidence of Biden's loss of position is mostly demonstrated by Buttigieg's advance. He's their last hope.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
Because if it doesn't pan out you have 4 more years of Trump.

I vastly prefer either Bernie or Warren to Biden but I don't get completely downplaying the fear of nominating them either. There's a lot more at stake now than there was in 2016.

Personally speaking, for better or worse, I've always approached voting as what my heart believes is best for the working class. Losses will happen with a safe pick and a risky pick. To me, it's better to vote with conviction, not pragmatism.

Prodigal Son

Oct 27, 2017
old man bernie serves one term and makes warren his vp. Bernie 2020-24. warren 24-32. tha dream baby

Everyone is writing Bernie off and then he's going to sweep IA, NH and NV.
he's gonna. AOC and squad will campaign with him in new york and california (where their endorsement actually matters) and he can win there too. but he still wont get enough to get the nom and there'll be a brokered convention probably and shit will suck

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

She's starting to play that game again. Gideon and the DSCC need to keep hammering her on Kavanaugh, the anti-choice judges, and McConnell.

To be clear, she's played the same game as Manchin here. She only votes with dems when the bill is guaranteed to suceed/fail without her vote. It ain't slick, but somehow it still plays well in their states.

Deleted member 3082

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Also from (northern) Indiana and I used to think the same, but I'm not really convinced it's the whole story.

Since graduating high school, I know plenty of people from my hometown who work in the factories now (where pretty much everyone there works). There's a sizable amount of black and latinx people working alongside them in those factories, but if anything it seems like that only makes their racism even more overt once they clock out and go back to their social media/social circles. Socialization/exposure, at least in the work environment, has done nothing to mitigate these people's virulent bigotry. I can't imagine going to college would have "fixed" these people anymore than the diverse work environment did(n't).

Granted, my school system was at least 95% white, while there were schools 20 minutes away in South Bend that are overwhelmingly non-white. So maybe socialization and exposure at a younger age would help a lot, but it seems like by the time most of these people are 18, they're irredeemably shitty.

Holy crap, I grew up about 20 minutes from South Bend too, small world.

I don't have much experience in a factory setting (~three years, and I made it a point not to socialize) but in retail the minority co-workers weren't particularly singled out (that was mostly reserved for people higher up the food chain). I do wonder if in a factory setting where there's a lot more entry/low level workers with a handful of managers vs. retail where there's more of a hierarchy of grunts / dept. leaders / supervisors / managers has some impact, where your upward mobility means more direct competition with your co-workers.

The timing may also play a factor here; I grew up in the 90's and didn't leave until 2008, and I remember when I started working as a teenager there were a lot of hispanic immigrants just starting to move into the area and immigration was just starting to become a "local problem." I can't imagine what those towns are like now after the recession and rise of the Tea Party (I have visited, but not socialized) but I imagine they didn't get worse, really, but the racism that was already there came to the surface more.

One thing I didn't include in my earlier post but should have; being exposed to different people via the internet was my main source of exposure to outside ideals. The ugly anti-islamic bullshit that swept my co-workers and acquaintances after 9/11 was completely nullified by having an Islamic friend on AOL. Meeting LGBT folks through GAF and MMOs also helped immensely, though by that point I feel like I was already pretty tolerant from previous experience and only had a few blind spots.

Oct 25, 2017
I think I'm moving towards the Bernie camp rn. He's got a lot of problems (M4A is gonna be an election loser), but he seems to be safer bet than Warren. Biden screams paper tiger.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Everyone is writing Bernie off and then he's going to sweep IA, NH and NV.
Everyone wrote Bernie off in 2016 due to the polling.

And they were completely fucking right to do so.

And he's now polling only a third of his 2016 level!
Warren shit talks the millionaires and billionaires a ton as well, second only to Sanders. Last thing I think of when I see Warren is a rich elite.
Warren's OK roots are showing up on the campaign trail a lot more than expected.

Status
Not open for further replies.