• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
LOL at Trump touting VA's job numbers when it's been under Democratic control since 2013.

The VA GOP probably begged him not to endorse.
If the state of our politics is that taxes cannot go up for any reason, ever, no matter the benefit maybe we should just pack it up.
And do... what? Play frisbee? And what about all the vulnerable people who need Democrats to be in power?

What an asinine statement.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
yeah "dont worry if we lose in Iowa" is something you expect to see in January, not months before the primary happens.

I think a 3rd/4th place in Iowa isnt unlikely for Biden. And unlike Clinton in 2008, hes also going to get crushed in NH
The internal polling and outlook must be bad

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Trump shutting down the government going into an election year during an impeachment proceeding would be disastrous for him. I guarantee McConnell does NOT want it. It won't be like 2014, when people magically forgot about Republican fuckery and gave them 9 Senate seats. It will bite them next November.
McConnell didn't want the shutdown in Dec-Jan either. Didn't matter because King Crybaby wanted it. He don't give a fuck.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
McConnell didn't want the shutdown in Dec-Jan either. Didn't matter because King Crybaby wanted it. He don't give a fuck.
Yes, but now we're heading into an election year with a Senate map that is already not good for them (like, they're almost guaranteed not to gain a single seat) and could be very bad for them.

He cares about his majority.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, but now we're heading into an election year with a Senate map that is already not good for them (like, they're almost guaranteed not to gain a single seat) and could be very bad for them.

If he thinks he's gonna lose anyway he might not care. Even if he thinks he'll win he's got so many dead brain worms in his brain at this point he still might not care. McConnell is definitely going to care, of course, but Trump is pretty much all for himself at this point.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
The actual dumb stuff Trump does he does without warning. Stuff that he teases for weeks tends not to happen.

We can only hope. My current nonprofit depends heavily on the Combined Federal Campaign of government worker charity gifts, which has been declining for years due to general fuckery. 2018 they would have posted inflation-level growth over 2017 but for the shutdown. This year we're doing quite well so far and I'd really like to see it continue...

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
yeah "dont worry if we lose in Iowa" is something you expect to see in January, not months before the primary happens.

I think a 3rd/4th place in Iowa isnt unlikely for Biden. And unlike Clinton in 2008, hes also going to get crushed in NH
We've seen that messaging from both the Biden and Sanders teams. A Pete vs Warren Iowa result would be both hilarious and great if you're rooting for Warren (cause lol Pete's minority numbers)

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
I know the narrative is that Mayor Pete has no black support, but neither does Bernie (Pete 4% v Bernie 6%). I was really surprised when I saw number today for Bernie

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know the narrative is that Mayor Pete has no black support, but neither does Bernie (Pete 4% v Bernie 6%). I was really surprised when I saw number today for Bernie
Which poll was that? Normally he's at 12-15%ish in the same range as the white % cause its basically just his hardcore fanbase now and he lost the white relatively conservative anti-Hillary types from 2016. What had been the trend recently was Bernie being 2nd in non-college black voters, Warren 2nd in college-educated black voters.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017

Indeed. This would probably be the one time McConnell calls Trump's vote and sends him a bill without his prior support. Trump will bitch and whine but sign it because he's ultimately a coward who hates anything resembling responsibility. Without being shielded by Republican senators he'll do jack shit.

I'm not worried about President Bernie's health after he hypothetically wins the election; as stated, that's what VPs exist for and I think he'd have a good one in all honesty.
Bernie choosing a good person to be in his orbit? I guess there's a first time for everything...

Oct 27, 2017
McConnell and his wife both have ties to business in Kentucky with Russian oligarchs and this Admin. They care if any political actions steer investigations and inquiries towards their lines of "business".

The impeachment trial in the Senate isn't going to be that long.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
If the state of our politics is that taxes cannot go up for any reason, ever, no matter the benefit maybe we should just pack it up.
Taxes can go up.
But not on average Joe middle class.
So that you can ban their existing health coverage.
And make them pay for strangers' health coverage.
Unless you just like losing elections I guess.

People are loss averse, and the US has a FYGM mentality.

Amibguous Cad

Oct 25, 2017
Until Ukraine hit that was definitely the plan because a vote would put our Senators on the defensive. Now the pressure's the other direction.

Dodging a vote is an interesting tactical concern, but I'm more concerned with winning news cycles during the election.

If you look at the polls during the '16 election, it's basically - whoever was in the news last was losing. Trump would do something stupid and fall, then there would be another nothingburger of emails. The '16 election was fundamentally scandal tennis. And thanks to Comey, Clinton was in the news last, and it has a good deal to do with the fact that she lost.

the email hoax was so successful because it could just do this drip drip drip of ostensibly damaging revelations, and even if there wasn't anything there, getting "emails" on chyrons all across America's airports did a lot. I suspect that it was an intentional streamer of the Trump campaign, or the Russians planning the leaks. It's a media strategy that the democrats should adopt.

the goal is a drip feed of damaging information right up until Election Day. Even if the populace isn't closely following the story, or even at all. If someone hears something briefly on the radio on October 11th and then again at their doctors' office on the 15th, and again in an ad on the 23rd, and again from their friends on the 30th... even if they're not following closely, even if they couldn't give you the details, that will stick with them.

It's hard to create such a story out of thin air without it doing something grossly Illegal and irresponsible. But the dems have had one dropped into their lap. They can't waste it.

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Cory Booker could resign and campain
If he is delusional enouph to think that help him win

Warren and sanders would get replaced by republicans

Problem #100 with the obsolete Senate. The House has special elections for every vacancy nationwide (unless a general election is coming up)

This game of Senate appointments is stupid

(Not that any of them should be silly enough to resign for a primary campaign)

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

biden team clearly thinks they're going to get btfo in Iowa if they're trying to downplay it like this

Well it's true that he will probably lose Iowa and it's true that this isn't a death knell but... he also isn't going to win NH and the SC firewall strategy never works because the voters are informed by the 1st 2 contests

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
easy solution, they can resign their seats and say it's because they want to be able to campaign during impeachment

I doubt that would be a good look, both because the nature of impeachment is Trump abusing his position for self interest and the "defend the Constitution and country over party" rhetoric from Dems.

Outside of the primaries being done and the nominee selected, it would be easy to position such a move as a dereliction of duties for selfish reasons, or worse a deliberate politically motivated handicap trap for Trump while his opponents are free to campaign.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
okay I should've been more clear that I was kidding and resigning during impeachment would be very bad for your chances

DinosaurusRex

Oct 26, 2017
Hypothetical situation: say Bernie or Warren win the primary, then the general election. Could they hold their senate seat after the election and vote for rules (I.e. filibuster nuke) at the beginning of the next senate session and resign only before being sworn in as president, thereby denying a republican appointment to their seat until until after rules are set?

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Hypothetical situation: say Bernie or Warren win the primary, then the general election. Could they hold their senate seat after the election and vote for rules (I.e. filibuster nuke) at the beginning of the next senate session and resign only before being sworn in as president, thereby denying a republican appointment to their seat until until after rules are set?
No. Oh, I mean, yeah they could vote to nuke the filibuster before they're sworn in, but pubs kinda control the Senate, so...

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017

It would be a lot easier for the Dem-controlled legislatures in both states to change the appointment rules.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The ideal time for the trial is half-way through the primary when the nominee looks obvious.

If we're heading for a contested convention though...

And who would like to pay $4500 for footwear, really?

sangreal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Yes -- Joe Biden was sworn in for another Senate term before his inauguration as VP. He continued to act a senator until 1/15/2009

but either you have the majority or you don't -- that is the only rule that matters. Your scenario doesn't really make much sense. If losing the seat flips the Senate, what's the point? Also, actual rule changes require a 2/3 vote but this doesn't matter because again the majority can do whatever it wants as they're the ultimate enforcers of any rule

Last edited:

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Josh Dawsey @jdawsey1

Many republicans are willing to say improper but not impeachable. Fewer are willing to go along with the "perfect" call defense. https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1191158055397969920 …

False stories are being reported that a few Republican Senators are saying that President Trump may have done a quid pro quo, but it doesn't matter, there is nothing wrong with that, it is not an impeachable event. Perhaps so, but read the transcript, there is no quid pro quo!​

8:05 PM - Nov 3, 2019

Status
Not open for further replies.