• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I think the real fan fiction are the people deluding themselves into thinking that the same republicans who voted to repeal Obamacare 30 something times this past decade, are now going to support a public option because we'll have the right centrist in office this time. I think that's a much bigger joke.

Good point, if we get a President that is so lowercase c conservative that they don't even support the removal of the filibuster, we aren't ever going to get anything done.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Comprehensive immigration reform is something basically every Democrat supports. It's unfinished business from Obama's second term, when he DID get a reform bill passed (albeit, a far from perfect one) and it was blocked in the House. Relative to almost anything else, it should be considered an easy lay-up if Democrats reclaim the trifecta.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
He's so close to using the n-word.

Trump went after what he called the "Barack Hussein Obama dynasty" at his rally last night and added "the only time I saw Barack Obama work hard is when he was trying to beat me".

BTW, dude's got demetia. He thinks he beat Obama.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
LOL what "dynasty"...

Also anytime they use Obama's full name, you already know they are trying to incite the bigotry.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
I really wonder what the polling would look like right now if Obama was able to run for re-election against Trump. It'd probably be a Reagan level blowout.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Public Option has always been popular, because it's really what people want. The truth is, the public by and large doesn't want to give up private health insurance. I get why folks in the primary are running on it, and I don't hold it against them. Because, at the end of the day, we're going to get a public option not single payer .
I'm not against public option, or any other healthcare plan, in principle. I just don't really get why we would already just compromise with ourselves now when dems are in a good position to take power.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Is Maddow's last episode on Youtube or somewhere?

Also Chris Hayes and Anderson Cooper are probably my favorite cable hosts. Chris Hayes is progressive but also pragmatic and isn't afraid to be a bit of a contrarian to his liberal guests when needed so it doesn't become a circle jerk. Anderson Cooper is also good for a somewhat "middle of the road" host and he keeps the whataboutism to an absolute minimum that plagues every single other "centrist" host. Plus Anderson is quick to point out hypocrisy and doesn't need to pat idiotic guests on the back at the end like Cuomo does.

I don't really consider Rachael Maddow a typical cable host. It's more like watching contemporary political history with a mix of fairly grounded political theories and hypothesis from current events. Her interviews are "meh" though. The interviews are good when she's having the guest expand upon the first 20 minutes of her show. But she's not really great at getting guests to open up since she tends to become a fangirl in those situations.
PSA: Maddow's show is also a free podcast and every day's episode goes up at midnight.

Oct 25, 2017

There is a lot here, but I would like to make sure it doesn't get lost that this means Manafort personally briefed Hannity 3 days before the election.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I really wonder what the polling would look like right now if Obama was able to run for re-election against Trump. It'd probably be a Reagan level blowout.
2016? I think it's possible (maybe even probable) Obama would have lost Ohio and Iowa to Trump, given how wide the margins were, but FL/WI/MI/PA were all close enough that Obama should have won, along with flipping AZ and NC.

2020? Yeah, blowout. No one's giving Trump the benefit of the doubt anymore. He'll have his true believers and Republican partisans and little else.

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
2016? I think it's possible (maybe even probable) Obama would have lost Ohio and Iowa to Trump, given how wide the margins were, but FL/WI/MI/PA were all close enough that Obama should have won, along with flipping AZ and NC.

2020? Yeah, blowout. No one's giving Trump the benefit of the doubt anymore. He'll have his true believers and Republican partisans and little else.

Yeah I mean for 2020.

papermoon

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
It's actually interesting how politically savvy she's shown herself to be over the campaign. She's definitely got my attention and as you said she's smart to have a rebuttal on hand for those "how do we pay" questions.

For sure. You know, there's a big benefit to having a lively, somewhat contentious primary. Candidates need to be seasoned. They don't spring out fully-formed from the get go as perfect, battle-ready warriors for the general election. Warren's my top choice, but no one should walk into the nomination untested. They have to rise to the challenges and earn it.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I am for "getting some change on Healthcare that gets out of the status quo" asap. The situation currently is so dire and bad that most options proposed would be a huge upgrade including a public option.

However, there are very real issues long term with a public option. Hell people right now who can be on Medicare don't opt for it because ther private employers insurance is better. My mom doesn't take Medicare because her employer gives her a lifetime of insurance (for her and her spouse) that's better than Medicare. And that's the problem with public option, a public option won't really be competing well with the private/employer insurances. There will always be a class difference in the two options and a difference on coverage. There will always be a "shit" version and a "good" version.. and that's not how healthcare should work.

As far as politics and feasibility go... all the Biden and Buttiegeg plans are also not that feasible in congress without getting hacked up to pieces. You already got Pelosi endorsing advancing the ACA publicly.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
to be more clear, my point wasn't that Obama made the public option popular- though it probably didn't hurt that he advocated for it. But I was trying to say that even if the bill doesn't ultimately pass, that there may be some merit for campaigning in its favor anyway. But I was also under the impression that the public option was not significantly more popular than Medicare For all is right now.
See, the common argument against the public option at the time, as the article states, is that it would eventually become a de facto single payer system. Which, people like Pelosi, were highly in favor of. It's why I honestly think the public option is better, it doesn't blow up an industry over-night, gives people in that industry an off ramp, doesn't involve a do-or-die switching moment where government healthcare has to be set up perfectly the moment the bill goes into full effect, and will strangle most of private insurance into irrelevancy. Between ACA, medicaid, the uninsured, and medicare the public option would instantly have about 60+% of the population on it, as well, the whole argument that private insurance would have leverage to make a public option worse doesn't hold weight to me.

All of the arguments against a public option can be settled by two clauses in the law to create it:
A: public option is opt out and you can't be kicked off it for non-payment (though if you make enough money to afford it, you will see your wages garnished)
B: All doctors and hospitals are required by law to accept the public option or they are not allowed to accept any other insurance plan.

I'm not against public option, or any other healthcare plan, in principle. I just don't really get why we would already just compromise with ourselves now when dems are in a good position to take power.
Because in order to get and maintain power, you need to take public opinion into consideration. Of course, the merits of the policy should also be taken into consideration, but even if you don't favor a public option, it's not like it's satan to you. And there are reasons to favor the public option.

Last edited:

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
As far as politics and feasibility go... all the Biden and Buttiegeg plans are also not that feasible in congress without getting hacked up to pieces. You already got Pelosi endorsing advancing the ACA publicly.
Biden's plan is part of an ACA 2.0. Every part of the ACA would basically stay, with the add on of the public option. It's 100% based on building on the ACA, not starting over. Biden's healthcare plan is actually really, really good.

Oct 25, 2017
I swear even if President Warren signs M4A into law some of y'all will still be smug that we're never getting it passed and we should settle for a public option.

It's not just vision. Warren has laid out plain and simple that M4A not only is the only way we can make sure everyone is insured, but also is the best plan for our pockets. She did the homework, has shown her work, and figured out how to make M4A work without raising taxes on the middle class and saving the American people $11 trillion from out of pocket costs in premiums, copays, deductibles, etc. And we'd no longer having to worry about finding a doctor in-network or needing to haggle with the insurance companies to cover a specific prescription drug.

For profit private insurance is inherently at odds with assuring people get the best care they need at the lowest possible cost. Better things are absolutely possible if we have a president who will fight for them.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Comprehensive immigration reform is something basically every Democrat supports. It's unfinished business from Obama's second term, when he DID get a reform bill passed (albeit, a far from perfect one) and it was blocked in the House. Relative to almost anything else, it should be considered an easy lay-up if Democrats reclaim the trifecta.

It goes back even further. Comprehensive immigration reform caused mass issues in 2006, when even republicans were on board for it, leading to protests and huge outcry from the public.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Biden's plan is part of an ACA 2.0. Every part of the ACA would basically stay, with the add on of the public option. It's 100% based on building on the ACA, not starting over. Biden's healthcare plan is actually really, really good.
Yeah, M4A is my preferred outcome but if Biden's plan is the best the next Congress can do, that's still a giant step forward.

Manmademan

Election Thread Watcher
Aug 6, 2018

Hillary should have won PA easily. It was a campaign failure that she didn't. I had an interesting "discussion" about this on twitter this morning. PA Lt. Governor Fetterman followed up that discussion with this bit of wisdom:

Doing nothing but "showing up" in places like Cambria County reduced what was a 22,000 vote deficit for Hillary down to 6,000 for Fetterman and Wolf. Better strategy would have won that state in 2016, it just wasn't used there.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Oh wow, I can't believe it, the US tried to help human rights and accidentally ended up controlling a bunch of oil fields in the middle east, again.

E2tuGFp.jpg

THE OIL IS SECURE!

He's so close to using the n-word.

BTW, dude's got demetia. He thinks he beat Obama.

I'm reading this article and they have censored "b***ard"

Censoring bastard in 2019 is weird and dumb.

I don't even understand why it's considered a profanity.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
We sure that it's smugglers doing it? Last I heard people were just cutting down the bars and selling them for scrap.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
Did she tho?

Because what I read doesn't make a whole lot of sense.

Correct me if I'm wrong, because I've been really busy this week and haven't had time to read her plan in full myself...but doesn't a large part of paying for the plan involve passing immigration reform and getting an increased tax revenue bump from the population influx?

Because if that's the plan...it's a dumb plan.

It's actually the best part of the plan.

"Do you want to give undocumented immigrants health care" came up in several debates despite being a pretty dumb question. Undocumented immigrants mostly pay taxes. If you say no, you're condemning them to illness while simultaneously undercutting the universal healthcare project. But saying yes is very unpopular.

Warren's solution to this is to give them all citizenship. Boom! Now they're automatically covered.

This may seem like putting the cart before the horse, but, uh, it's not, because giving undocumented people citizenship so they have civil rights and cannot be rounded up into concentration camps is actually a much more important issue today than healthcare and Warren is totally correct to say we should do that first.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So I'm guessing the real reason for impeachment focusing on just the Ukraine stuff is that Pelosi has evidence that the QPQ started way before the perfect phone call. Trump extorts Zelensky to drop the Manafort cases, that are going to name some American co-conspirators, and stop cooperating with Mueller in exchange for the missiles. I wonder what Trump got in exchange for Zelensky removing troops from the Donbass?
Rudy did that with the last president to drop Manafort. Zelenski seems to be carrying out the changes made back than.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I will enjoy watching people embracing pie in the sky plans this election
If I was candidate I'd just say.. "we'll have the best health care plan in the World and make Canada pay for it." than smile at the camera and my opponent

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Sure if that actually passes in its entirety would be a huge step up from what we currently have. But take a minute to consider:

The compromise candidate who helped put into place a compromised medicare system (ACA) and platforming on a compromise message.... y'all think he isn't going to compromise on his own plans and policies as well?

If not then you would have to be more naive than the Sander supporters.

(I say this about Buttiegeg as well and this guy is an even bigger flip flopper)

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Who was deposed Wednesday? That was when Gerry Connolly told reports after leaving the room to look into Javelin missiles.

Oct 25, 2017
If we fight like hell for M4A and all we get out of it is a public option, then fine! Huge step up over what we have and hell it still moves us closer to the goal that we can pick back up again in the future. But starting our position at the "realistic" option and then compromise even further? Fuck that.

pigeon

Oct 25, 2017
My point is...even within the realm of "thinking big" this plan is still dumb.

And...we're talking about people's health care. This is the one place where candidates should be putting out ambitious but feasible ideas. Not fan fiction. You're not running for president of Tumblr. Warren's plan from what I've seen is DoA, and that's disappointing coming from her.

In a world where you can discuss Medicare for All, here's nothing DOA about passing immigration reform. What, exactly, do you think is harder about immigration than M4A?

Damisa

Oct 25, 2017
I actually think public option makes the most sense, yet still want Warren to win, because it's obvious single payer doesn't have enough support and I genuinely believe Warren's "plan B" public option plan would be better than Biden's or any other candidates public option plan.

She is clearly the best of all the candidates at putting in the hard work to get detailed workable policies.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Last debate, they all came for Warren - the press, the candidates - trying to get that soundbite of her conceding to a middle-class tax-increase. Despite all that pressure, she did not yield. What might a lesser candidate have done? Uncritically accept the untested conventional wisdom put out by a "think tank" or two that a middle-class tax raise is necessary and shrug: yeah we gotta do that. Or pretend that she wasn't all in on M4A at one point, and walk back her stance saying she just wants a public option.

Warren didn't fall back on the obvious. Instead she put in work. She crushed the homework, and now she's published the most detailed plan for healthcare reform - among any of the candidates - a plan that's all about her commitment to single-payer. And the next time some lamb bleats about "how much are you gonna raise middle-class taxes to pay for this?" She can say with full assurance and authority: "Not one penny." Plan aside, we need someone this resourceful, tough, principled in the White House.

I don't really care much about Warren having a debate soundbite. It's true that she needed a better answer to the taxes question...but I'm not sure this is that? "Will your plan raise taxes?" --> "Not one penny" --> "How?" and where does she go from there? This plan is weedsy, even for her. But that's neither here nor there.

(Lord help me, I'm reading policy papers on my day off)

The Immigration Reform bit makes sense as you put, and you're right: not the part to get tripped up over. Although, where are you getting 20.5 trillion from? Warren seems to be saying that her plan is going to cost around the 52 trillion we're currently spending?

And reading her plan, I'm still seeing a lot of fantasy on where she's going to nickel and dime to bring down spending, I'm not seeing much addressing people/businesses who actually like their private insurance, and I'm not seeing much addressing how she proposes people transition to her version of medicare for all. She's proposing passing immigration reform, reforming military spending, closing significant tax loopholes AND taking on private insurance all at once to make this plan happen. Don't get me wrong, that's all great shit that needs to happen anyway, but you have to start somewhere, and you have to WIN all these fights (simultaneously) for your plan to work. This is actually the thing I respected the most about Kamala's plan, even if the 10 year timeline opened her up to a lot of heat. Kamala's plan (and Biden's) seem to do the most work in laying out how they propose to get from A to B in a way that makes sense.

So far, Warren's plan is coming across as sensible, while still basically requiring the stars to align in much the same way Sanders' plan does.

Not to mention, if this is how she's working the math to get Medicare 4 All to work...where is she getting the money for everything else she's planning to do?

In a world where you can discuss Medicare for All, here's nothing DOA about passing immigration reform. What, exactly, do you think is harder about immigration than M4A?

Why do you keep conflating these two things? Being skeptical of Warren's medicare for all plan says nothing about my opinion on passing immigration reform (which I'm for, but I shouldn't need to say that because that's not what I'm talking about). Because yeah, our government is keeping kids in cages, some of us haven't forgotten that.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
If we fight like hell for M4A and all we get out of it is a public option, then fine! Huge step up over what we have and hell it still moves us closer to the goal that we can pick back up again in the future. But starting our position at the "realistic" option and then compromise even further? Fuck that.
And there are also people actively shitting on Single-Payer because they will have to share the same healthcare as poor people.

It's the same mentality that leads to people taking their kids out of public schools. It's why something like Medicare For All is attacked from both highly paid professional Democrats and Republicans.

The Public Option is popular because it will maintain second class healthcare for poor people. Healthcare must always be tied to the myth of meritocracy. Most of these people were born into their position in life and use it to justify why their parents should live into their 90s while everyone else who "didn't make the right choices" should suffer the consequences and not die on the public dime.

Status
Not open for further replies.