• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Neither does Steyer. Nowhere close.
Yet there is a common theme here spending millions on advertising does help with polling numbers and recognition
Reread back a bit. What I said, is that if you have 100% name rec, cash spending is nowhere near as effective. The people close to 100% name rec? Warren, Biden, Sanders. Not Steyer and Butti. It goes without saying that when people know you exist, they're more likely to vote for you. At the point where they don't, advertising is mighty helpful.

Nocturnal

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reread back a bit. What I said, is that if you have 100% name rec, cash spending is nowhere near as effective. The people close to 100% name rec? Warren, Biden, Sanders. Not, Steyer and Butti. It goes without saying that when people know you exist, they're more likely to vote for you. At the point where they don't, advertising is mighty helpful.

and money isn't .... right... I give up

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
People already know who Biden and Sanders are. It's correct that plastering Iowa with ads is going to have diminishing returns the more people recognise you.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Kevin McCarthy is one of the dumbest mofos in Congress.

It's a picture of that dumbass map of the U.S. that's nearly all red - because in Steveland, it's the land that votes.

Edit: ratio'd!

Him being one of the dumbest mofos in Congress means he is perfect to lead the House Republican caucus of stooges.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

A growing number of Senate Republicans are ready to acknowledge that President Trump used U.S. military aid as leverage to force Ukraine to investigate former vice president Joe Biden and his family as the president repeatedly denies a quid pro quo.
In this shift in strategy to defend Trump, these Republicans are insisting that the president's action was not illegal and does not rise to the level of an impeachable offense as the Democratic-led House moves forward with the open phase of its probe.
But the shift among Senate Republicans could complicate the message coming from Trump as he furiously fights the claim that he had withheld U.S. aid from Ukraine to pressure it to dig up dirt on a political rival, even as an increasing number of Republicans wonder how long they can continue to argue that no quid pro quo was at play in the matter.
The pivot was the main topic during a private Senate GOP lunch on Wednesday, according to multiple people familiar with the session who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the meeting. Sen. John Neely Kennedy (R-La.) argued that there may have been a quid pro quo but said that the U.S. government often attaches conditions to foreign aid and that nothing was amiss in Trump's doing so in the case of aid to Ukraine, these individuals said.
Inside the lunch, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.), who ran against Trump in 2016, said a quid pro quo is not illegal unless there is "corrupt intent" and echoed Kennedy's argument that such conditions are a tool of foreign policy.
"To me, this entire issue is gonna come down to, why did the president ask for an investigation," Kennedy, who worked as a lawyer, said in an interview. "To me, it all turns on intent, motive. ... Did the president have a culpable state of mind? … Based on the evidence that I see, that I've been allowed to see, the president does not have a culpable state of mind."
The discussion underscores the dilemma for congressional Republicans as a cadre of current and former Trump administration officials paint a consistent picture of a president wiling to use foreign policy to undercut a potential domestic political adversary. On Thursday, Trump appointee and longtime Republican aide-turned-National Security Council adviser Tim Morrison became the latest official to testify that nearly $400 million of congressionally appropriated military aid for Ukraine was frozen to increase pressure on President Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate Biden, a 2020 presidential contender.
And with the House Democrats voting Thursday to open the closed-door impeachment investigation, undermining the GOP's complaints about a secretive process, Republicans are frantically seeking a new strategy and talking points to defend the president.

Yah. Yall do that. That'll stop the poll number slide.

Kevin McCarthy is one of the dumbest mofos in Congress.

It's a picture of that dumbass map of the U.S. that's nearly all red - because in Steveland, it's the land that votes.

Edit: ratio'd!

To repeat: he only has that position cuz no one else wanted the bag of feral rats that is the 2019 GOP House Caucus, and was laughed off when he wanted the 2015 Speakers' position.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Are you suggesting that everyone who voted for southern democrats in the 50s, 60s and 70s were segregationists?
No, I'm suggesting that Biden was friends with James Eastland and still likes him to this day so Biden personally took the "I'm a card carrying democrat who wants to help all other democrats" thing that his staffer mentioned maybe a bit too far

Steel

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
And while Pete, Sanders, Warren, Yang campaign in Iowa - Biden will spending time trying to raise money for SC, CA, NY... where? certainly not in Iowa
My point is that Biden can sit on his ass and barely spend anything until election day and still have a good chance at winning. And Sanders could spend a trillion dollars on ads and be in the same spot he is now. Warren isn't quite as saturated, but she's close, fortunately for her she's in a position to win at this point. If Butti was at 100% name rec? I dunno where he'd be, because he isn't.

Movement in the future is going to come from news stories, interviews and foot in mouth moments as well as the also-rans dropping out and their voters finding new homes. Also, Butti might drain voters from Warren and Biden as he rises, but I don't see him staying in if he doesn't win one of the first three states.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
Pete is doing fundraisers too.

You do need money to sustain a campaign, mainly for staffing.

Biden's money woes are that no one seems to actually be excited about him - his unitemized contributions suck. They're just kind of okay about it. Like Hillary was raising large sums from a mix of sources.

So if Biden's fundraising continues to suck he'll just cut back on promotion and focus on organising I assume.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
And umm unlike her, he didn't qualify for the next debate and was actually polling 0% in some of the early states.

I always enjoy PoliEra comparing Kamala to the candidate bottom feeders when there are 3-4 other candidates that should quit before her. She's still at 4-6% in a lot of polls. Not saying things look good for her, but comparing her to bottom feeders while not asking people like Castro, Booker, Klob, Bennet, Steyer, Yang, and pre-signal boosted Tulsi to drop out is annoying.

The Kamala loathing is strong on Era. It's Kamala eating crackers all day.

Last edited:

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
Apparently, Trump is currently holding a rally here in MS. Had no idea. I knew Shithead Jr. was supposed to be here. I'm actually morbidly curious about what he's barfing up this time.

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I read this interesting article last night...

This marks a new phase in American politics. Democrats and Republicans might still disagree about policy, but they are increasingly also at odds over the very foundations of our constitutional order.

Political scientists have a term for what the United States is witnessing right now. It's called "regime cleavage," a division within the population marked by conflict about the foundations of the governing system itself—in the American case, our constitutional democracy. In societies facing a regime cleavage, a growing number of citizens and officials believe that norms, institutions and laws may be ignored, subverted or replaced.

Regime cleavages emerge only in governing systems in crisis, and our democracy is indeed in crisis.

This cleavage shows up in discourse across the American political spectrum that labels one's political opponents as un-American, disloyal, even treasonous. But it is clearest in the argument that it would amount to a "coup" to remove the president via conviction in the Senate, and thus that the regular functioning of the legislative branch would be illegitimate.

In the minds of Trump, his allies and, increasingly, his supporters, it's not just Democrats but American democracy that is the obstacle.

This, in turn, creates a form of outbidding: Even if Democrats oppose an unfettered executive now, they will have every incentive to use whatever presidential powers are available to them when they do hold the White House. This has already begun to happen in the U.S. to some extent: Competition over an unconstrained executive branch, of course, motivated Republicans to oppose President Barack Obama, who also capitalized on the long-term increase in executive authority in the United States.

Our regime cleavage has not yet hardened to the extent that it has in these countries, but if it does, it will not be possible to elect a president who can "end the mess in Washington" because both sides of the regime cleavage will argue that the other is illegitimate and undemocratic. Voters, understandably, will lose what faith they have left in the value of democracy itself. In the worst-case scenario, presidents and their supporters would be entirely unaccountable to Congress, while their opponents would reject the legitimacy of the presidency altogether.

Hope I didn't quote too much.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Lol Biden's speech was so fucking bad. Literally just GET TRUMP OUT OF OFFICE! RESTORE THE SOUL OF AMERICA! Trump is the only obstacle, then the road is clear for change! (paraphrasing)

You suck, please don't win, thank you

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017

I mean.

d6f.jpg

Sagroth

Oct 28, 2017

A growing number of Senate Republicans are ready to acknowledge that President Trump used U.S. military aid as leverage to force Ukraine to investigate former vice president Joe Biden and his family as the president repeatedly denies a quid pro quo.
In this shift in strategy to defend Trump, these Republicans are insisting that the president's action was not illegal and does not rise to the level of an impeachable offense as the Democratic-led House moves forward with the open phase of its probe.
But the shift among Senate Republicans could complicate the message coming from Trump as he furiously fights the claim that he had withheld U.S. aid from Ukraine to pressure it to dig up dirt on a political rival, even as an increasing number of Republicans wonder how long they can continue to argue that no quid pro quo was at play in the matter.
The pivot was the main topic during a private Senate GOP lunch on Wednesday, according to multiple people familiar with the session who spoke on the condition of anonymity to describe the meeting. Sen. John Neely Kennedy (R-La.) argued that there may have been a quid pro quo but said that the U.S. government often attaches conditions to foreign aid and that nothing was amiss in Trump's doing so in the case of aid to Ukraine, these individuals said.
Inside the lunch, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Tex.), who ran against Trump in 2016, said a quid pro quo is not illegal unless there is "corrupt intent" and echoed Kennedy's argument that such conditions are a tool of foreign policy.
"To me, this entire issue is gonna come down to, why did the president ask for an investigation," Kennedy, who worked as a lawyer, said in an interview. "To me, it all turns on intent, motive. ... Did the president have a culpable state of mind? … Based on the evidence that I see, that I've been allowed to see, the president does not have a culpable state of mind."
The discussion underscores the dilemma for congressional Republicans as a cadre of current and former Trump administration officials paint a consistent picture of a president wiling to use foreign policy to undercut a potential domestic political adversary. On Thursday, Trump appointee and longtime Republican aide-turned-National Security Council adviser Tim Morrison became the latest official to testify that nearly $400 million of congressionally appropriated military aid for Ukraine was frozen to increase pressure on President Volodymyr Zelensky to investigate Biden, a 2020 presidential contender.
And with the House Democrats voting Thursday to open the closed-door impeachment investigation, undermining the GOP's complaints about a secretive process, Republicans are frantically seeking a new strategy and talking points to defend the president.

"Growing number of Senators moving to next section of the Narcissist's Prayer"

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
The goalposts will be to Pluto by December with all of these chucklefucks.

They are pretty much already at the point of "there was quid pro quo, but that's normal, and it would be illegal in this case if Trump realized he stood to gain personally, but he didn't, so it's ok."

Not sure there is even any more room or nuance left? "Biden won't even be/isn't the nominee so it doesn't even matter"?

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain
And umm unlike her, he didn't qualify for the next debate and was actually polling 0% in some of the early states.

I always enjoy PoliEra comparing Kamala to the candidate bottom feeders when there are 3-4 other candidates that should quit before her. She's still at 4-6% in a lot of polls. Not saying things look good for her, but comparing her to bottom feeders while not asking people like Castro, Booker, Klob, Bennet, Steyer, Yang, and pre-signal boosted Tulsi to drop out is annoying.

I never suggested Harris should drop out, I doubt her being in the race is affecting Warren. I'm merely stating that a candidate that is bleeding money and now doing the classic candidate hail mary of cutting all staff and presence after Iowa is a) doomed to failure and b) in the event of a miracle, has no presence to take advantage of later states. We see this every 4 years. But the dream dies hard.

And it goes without saying all the zero percenters should drop out. Why even mention them.

(by the way Harris was my preferred candidate after the Kav hearings, until it became clear she could not run a winning campaign)

MetalGearZed

Oct 30, 2017
Lol Biden's speech was so fucking bad. Literally just GET TRUMP OUT OF OFFICE! RESTORE THE SOUL OF AMERICA! Trump is the only obstacle, then the road is clear for change! (paraphrasing)

You suck, please don't win, thank you
And he also ended with his "Beat him like drum" catchphrase lol. He makes it sound like Trump is only reason he's running.
(Which may well be the case, but he's hardly even pretending that he has an actual vision beyond that)

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I enjoy the "beat him like a drum" catchphrase.

That's the only thing I enjoy of Biden tho.

Oct 27, 2017
This episode of Maddow is fascinating tonight, all about quid pro quo with Ukraine going back to the start of 2017, and how the FBI has now confirmed that Flynn is full of BS. Catch it later or sometime over the weekend.

maxx720

Nov 7, 2017
Speak for yourself, I like Harris.

I'd certainly rather hear from Kamala in a debate than Amy Downer.

But her campaign suuuuuuuuucks. Sorry if that's hard for you to hear
No I agree. She is a poor campaigner as is Beto a poor debater. She does get unnecessarily piled on fire since reason though.

There really are only 3 viable options: Biden, Warren and Sanders (with Sanders the least likely of the three). The others are polling too poorly and Butti has zero chance of going anywhere near the nomination without the African American vote.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Warren essentially calling out Biden here, saying just trying to beat Trump will lose dems the election. That people need ideas/plans that will help and inspire them

Hell yeah, fucking gettem

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Apparently my uncle isn't the craziest motherfucker on this local city council! Tbh I thought it was going to be him when I saw the headline and before I clicked on the link.

During a City Council meeting Monday night, City Councilor George Rotondo threatened to "beat the s*** out of" a critic, who he accused of harassing his family.

Rotondo — who has recently been accused by Muslim rights groups and a fellow Revere city council candidate of making Islamophobic and anti-immigrant attacks — was requesting a state investigation into a public records request in September about a years-old "domestic event" involving his children, which he said was a politically motivated attempt to "harass" and "discredit" him.

"If they're going after my kids to get to me — I'm a public official. It's disgusting," he said, calling for an investigation from the Massachusetts State Police and state auditor's office into Revere police's procedures for fulfilling public information requests.

Rotondo then turned to Brian Riccio, a local political activist in attendance at the meeting.

"And you sir, if you go near my kid again, I'm going to beat the s*** out of you," Rotondo said. "You got me?"

City Council President Arthur Guinasso objected to the threat, pounding his gavel. Rotondo went on.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I'm sick of Mr. Riccio going near my kid. I'm sorry. This should not stand. I'm sick of the harassment from him, online, bullying my kid. My kid is in fear because of you, sir. You're a disgrace."

Rotondo apologized again to the hearing room, and Guinasso said his motion would be referred to the committee on legislative affairs.

"At this point, it's bordering on harassment," Rotondo said.

In a Twitter message, Riccio said a supporter of Rotondo was spreading false innuendo in an attempt to deflect from Rotondo's own political vulnerability in the coming election.

"He's about to lose his seat," Riccio said. "That outburst at the City Council came after he was told that only 15-20 people were appearing at his fundraiser."

Rotondo is one of four at-large councilors seeking re-election to one of the five council seats. He placed third in the city's preliminary elections in September.

He is a longtime member of the city council and it will be hilarious if he loses. It would be even better if my uncle, a Trumper, loses.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.