• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So the Trump argument is "I did not ask for a quid pro quo, I asked for a quid, a pro, and a quo on separate plates." A deconstructed Quid Pro Quo if you will...

Oct 26, 2017
I love how Schiff is running the investigation. It exposes the inoperable WH and GOP Congress communication relationship and causes Trump to make all kinds of unforced communication errors because they don't know how to fight something they can't attack.

All the while we get to do our own special counsel investigation because no one trusts the DOJ anymore.

It really is the first time in a long time that I've seen the GOP totally in the dark when it comes to messaging. I mean there have been times where they've been off balance for a few days, but then they usually get the hive-mind calibrated and they're back on the messaging attack.

The combination of Schiff doing these depositions behind closed doors and the majority of the witnesses being Trump's own people has made it extremely difficult for the GOP to have a coherent message across all their allies. This is the first time in the Trump administration there's been a semblance of proper oversight and witness cooperation, and it's making the WH extremely nervous. Up until now the WH has relied on everyone on their side defying Congress (ie. breaking the law) and letting the courts deal with it in the distant future. They planned to do the same thing with impeachment, but they didn't anticipate dozens of State Department officials essentially giving them the finger and testifying anyway. If the State Department officials didn't show-up then it would be summer 2019 all over again of ignored subpenis'.

Commedieu

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
So.. was just watching Putin & Erdogans speech.

1. in 150 hours that safe zone area, will definitely be clear of YPG/PKK Terrorists for sure. And they will do anything they need to do to clear the area. It will be patrolled by Syria/Russia/Turkey Troops.
2. Turkey and Russia have some deal with currency and banks, the Russian (mir?) will start to be used in Turkey.. and something about data.. banks... something.
3. Uh, they're literally best fucking friends.
4. This is a NATO country, still?
5. They've got deals going starting today. They both agree, military doesn't need to be in syria. Just the security zone.

There was more, but those were the highlights.

So, about that cease fire...

Turkey and Russia announce deal to withdraw all Kurdish forces from Syrian border

urkey and Russia announced last night they had reached a deal to avoid a return to fullscale fighting in northeast Syria, just hours before a US-brokered ceasefire between Turkish and Kurdish forces was due to expire.

Recep Tayyip Erdoğan and Vladimir Putin emerged from marathon talks in Sochi with an agreement that would see all Kurdish forces pull back 30km from the Syrian border over the next six days.

Russia and Turkey will then launch joint military patrols in the area to ensure the deal is being implemented. There was no immediate comment from Kurdish-led Syrian Democratic Forces (SDF) on the deal.

But if the agreement holds it means Turkey will not restart its military offensive, which many feared would resume as soon as an earlier ceasefire ended at 10pm on Tuesday.

"According to this agreement, Turkey and Russia will not allow any separatist agenda on Syrian territory," Mr Erdoğan said.

dont know if anyone has spoken to the Kurds about any of this...?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
What makes you think this puts the Senate in play?
Polling trends. Trump approval ratings keep declining over this impeachment scandal and it has been affecting Senators too. Ernst dropping a lot in Iowa in relation to Trump and a few other Senators vulnerable too. Democrats can very likely get net 4 seats (one of them they will lose most likely but they can win Presidency and flip 3 seats).

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
The author of the anonymous op-ed wrote a book that's going to be published next month. (they're still going to be anonymous)

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017

@rebeccaballhaus
· 1m
NEW: Weeks before the Trump-Zelensky call, Kurt Volker told Zelensky at a meeting in Toronto that he needed to convince Trump he was willing to investigate corruption & alleged Ukrainian election interference. w/@dnvolz @ByronTau https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-di...-he-would-investigate-corruption-11571770997…
@rebeccaballhaus
Kurt Volker told Zelensky that doing so would help Zelensky overcome the stream of negative information about Ukraine Trump was hearing from Rudy Giuliani. "We have a problem here," he told Zelensky, according to congressional testimony. https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-di...p-he-would-investigate-corruption-11571770997

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
So....anyone else's opinion of Pelosi risen since the clash a few months ago when AOC and her clashed?

Got to say her strategy is pulling off. Keeping the impeachment hearings non-public, slow but methodical, is providing dividends in polling, and is keeping Republicans on the defensive and struggling to respond.

(Am I pointing out rushing to impeach him was too gung-ho? Yes.)

blackw0lf48

Jan 2, 2019
Wait what?

On Friday, the NYT did a piece about a podcast Secretary Clinton did with David Plouffe. They incorrectly quoted her saying that the "Russians" were "grooming" a candidate running in the Democratic primary. They rightfully fixed it to reflect that she was taking about the GOP.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
West Wing was much better suited for a time when the biggest complaint one could have about politics was just wishing that Clinton was better.

West Wing still came on post-Gingrich and aired during Bush's admin.

Indeed. But is should be even more atrocious. Guess I give the country too much credit.

Here are George HW Bush's ratings -

George_W_Bush_approval_ratings.svg

Note that even he only went below 30 as of the 08 financial crash (save for one small blip in summer 07). That's post-Iraq, post-torture, post-Katrina, post-Plame, after his failed immigration reform push and Republican attempts to touch Social Security that swept them out in 06, etc.

All the hundreds of thousands of shitty policies, scandals, and actions and even he could barely fall below 30.

And unhealthy relationships.

And console wars.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So....anyone else's opinion of Pelosi risen since the clash a few months ago when AOC and her clashed?

Got to say her strategy is pulling off. Keeping the impeachment hearings non-public, slow but methodical, is providing dividends in polling, and is keeping Republicans on the defensive and struggling to respond.

I've always backed her plan. Mueller investigation was always too tainted. No way he goes four years without fucking up more.

platypotamus

Oct 25, 2017
Having trouble imagining that author remaining anonymous after "telling-all". Either they aren't going to tell all, or doing so will reveal their identity, right?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

My opinion didn't go up about her after the impeachment inquiry announcement. She shouldn't be applauded for following the majority Democratic caucus, she was merely doing her job. And as far as I can tell, Schiff and Nadler are handling most of the impeachment related business anyway. It was Schiff's decision to keep hearing behind closed door for now.

Her annihilation of Trump at his own home turf regarding the Syria situation... now that was good shit.

That said Pelosi is helping in putting up some good legislation through the House and into the Senate that isn't really appreciated as much. Mostly because they are sitting at Moscow Mitch's desk collecting dust. I feel like once we get the Senate back and a Democratic president, we will see the fruits of her labor blossom (or rot if they are bad).

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Sounds like Sondland could be mega-fucked. Nice.

NPR interviewed someone that knows him from his work in Oregon. They mentioned a conversation with him recently that they told him at the end of the day he better tell the truth.

I am curious how he feels about processing that conversation now.

DanGo

Oct 25, 2017
The anonymous author can go fuck themselves. Donate the proceeds, you immoral fuck.
The anonymous author of "A WARNING" did not take an advance and intends to donate some of the royalties to nonprofit organizations that focus on government accountability and supporting truth-tellers in repressive countries, including the White House Correspondents' Association, Latimer said.

"The author could have received a seven-figure advance for writing this book," Latimer said. "But 'A WARNING' was not written for financial reasons. The author sees this as an act of conscience and of duty, which is why the author refused any advance and is donating a substantial portion of any royalties to charities that protect those seeking the truth around the world."
FWIW

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

This wasn't her plan...unless she's psychic and knew something as blatant and specific as Ukraine-gate was coming.

Multiple forces came together to move her hand.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Oh we missed that little detail

Ok then carry on

Plus In this day and age I understand being anonymous at this point
Especially in regard to working with the Trump admin. Dude is straight up mafia. I'd be fearful for my life and the safety of friends/family/colleagues if I were that individual

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@ShimonPro
!!! Bill Taylor's opening statement:

"During that phone call Ambassador Sondland told me that President Trump had told him that he wants President Zelensky to state publicly that Ukraine will investigate Burisma and alleged Urkainian interference in the 2016 US election."
15:20 - 22 Oct 2019

syllogism

Oct 25, 2017
Has the podcast not been released or how would it be possible that no one set the record straight, Plouffe in particular? Must just be a bit different interpretation of the comments.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
At this point with Trump in the WH and Moscow Mitch in the Senate, Republican might as well be a euphemism for Russian.

shadow_shogun

Oct 25, 2017
@ShimonPro
Sondland told Taylor he made a mistake earlier by telling the Ukrainian's that a WH meeting with Zelensky "was dependent on a public announcement of the investigations."

"In fact, Sondland said 'everything' was dependent on such an announcement, including security assistance."
15:26 - 22 Oct 2019

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Publishing a tell-all book by an anonymous writer seems pretty ridiculous tbh. It doesn't sound like what the book is covering hasn't already been corroborated by a hundred other sources already anyway, so I'm not really worried about the veracity of the thing, but I don't like the precedent it sets either.

Oct 30, 2017
Who was the hot tub salesman/lawyer Trump used as a stooge briefly? As acting AG, I think? That's probably the guy who'll be COS. Mnuchin already has his hands full and Trump would never take advice from a female COS, so Conway is out.

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Hillary was probably thinking she didn't know if she said that or not..... She might not have cared too!

Absent

Oct 26, 2017
To whit:

Edit:

I'm gonna need tranqs soon. Overhyped

"The body language of the people hearing it was 'holy s---,' seriously," Rep. Harley Rouda (D-Calif.), a member of the Oversight Committee, said in reference to Taylor's opening statement.

Rep. Stephen Lynch (D-Mass.), a senior member of the House Oversight and Reform Committee, characterized the testimony as a "sea change" that "could accelerate" the impeachment inquiry. Another lawmaker, Democratic Rep. Tom Malinowski of New Jersey, said it was "the most thorough accounting we've had of the timeline."

"I'll tell you, as a former State Department political appointee, in my experience the difference between career folks and political appointees is the career folks take very good notes," Malinowski said, hinting that Taylor provided corroboration to back up his recollections.
Eight days later, Taylor's concerns grew more urgent. In texts with two other diplomats, Taylor said it was "crazy" that military aid to Kyiv was being blocked in order to force "help with a political campaign." Nearly $400 million in military assistance to Ukraine was put on hold in late July by the White House but was released in September two weeks after POLITICO revealed that it was frozen. Taylor described the hold on aid as a "nightmare" and said it had already shaken Ukraine's faith in the United States.

"The Russians love it. (And I quit.)," Taylor said of the prospect that the aid would be blocked even after Ukraine agreed to open Trump's preferred investigations.
Taylor's two correspondents in the text exchanges — Sondland and former ambassador Kurt Volker — have already testified to impeachment investigators. They painted a portrait of a foreign policy that had been outsourced by Trump to his personal lawyer, Rudy Giuliani. Both described deep discomfort with the arrangement and worried that Giuliani's freelancing — especially in a country fending off Russian aggression and battling systemic internal corruption — could undermine America's years-long diplomatic efforts.

Taylor voiced those concerns in a July text exchange days before Trump called Zelensky, who was elected in the spring on a platform of fighting corruption.

"Gordon, one thing Kurt and I talked about yesterday was Sasha Danyliuk's point that President Zelenskyy is sensitive about Ukraine being taken seriously, not merely as an instrument in Washington domestic, reelection politics," he said. Danyliuk is likely a reference to Oleksandr Danyliuk, Ukraine's former finance minister.

Sondland replied, "Absolutely, but we need to get the conversation started and the relationship built, irrespective of the pretext. I am worried about the alternative."
Well, go on.

Status
Not open for further replies.