• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NoName999

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Look at this way:

Tulsi Gabbard is everything that idiots think Hillary Clinton is.

But since she backed Sanders in 2016, (God knows why, they got nothing in common) she's not being dragged as much as she should.

DrROBschiz

Oct 25, 2017
Look at this way:

But since she backed Sanders in 2016, (God knows why, they got nothing in common) she's not being dragged as much as she should.

As long as she doesnt run as an independent I dont care what she does

But Clinton is on the money and has clearly been unfairly maligned for as long as I can remember

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Tulsi is a surfer, so when she carpetbags, it'll have to be somewhere with a beach. I guess she'll be competing against Young Kim to be the first American to lose two elections in a row.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

WaPo: Growing number of Republicans struggle to defend Trump on G-7 choice, Ukraine and Syria
A growing number of congressional Republicans expressed exasperation Friday over what they view as President Trump's indefensible behavior, a sign that the president's stranglehold on his party is starting to weaken as Congress hurtles toward a historic impeachment vote.
In interviews with more than 20 GOP lawmakers and congressional aides in the past 48 hours, many said they were repulsed by Trump's decision to host an international summit at his own resort and incensed by acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney's admission — later withdrawn — that U.S. aid to Ukraine was withheld for political reasons. Others expressed anger over the president's abandonment of Kurdish allies in Syria.
-----------
Meanwhile, several GOP lawmakers have reached out to White House officials to urge Trump to reconsider his Doral decision, which they worry smacks of corruption, according to GOP officials familiar with the conversations who spoke on the condition of anonymity to talk candidly. At the very least, they're pressing Trump to publicly commit to hosting the international leaders free, to avoid any appearance that he's using his office to enrich himself.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
Requesting feedback:

I tend to think that a large protest (over 100k?) in a major metropolitan area, that's well directed with heavy enough political speakers present to get the national media there. Could be useful.

That's not HK level protests or anything, but such well directed and planned protests could still serve a purpose in a political toolbox. No?
The problem is that its not about media coverage, its about materially inconveniencing power. I live in Chicago. We protest a fair amount actually, with varying sizes. But no-one who we're protesting against is really actually forced to engage with those protests at a distance closer than "reports say..."

(on the national level at least, on the local level teacher's strikes and protests are driving school funding negotiations as we speak)

Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to ship Trump to the Hague.

That'd be a good start to the U.S. making some form of amends for being racist and shitty enough to vote for Trump in the first place.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Can someone explain the hate on Tulsi? I mean a lot of people here say she's basically a republican but what's the rationale? She seems like the most run of the mill, generic, has accomplished very little politician you can find these days. None of her stances are really out there (or conservative), she supports universal healthcare, gay rights, less military spending, etc. and has had a few outspoken moments in her career against career democrats, mostly regarding how the DNC handled Bernie in 2016.

That's literally it. Her bills passed are largely focused on veteran affairs. She had some controversy with Syria. And she's not bad on the eyes.

why the fuck do we care about her again?

lol, talk about white washing shit.

Now, 99% of the time Jacobin is a joke, but this is actually a decent article regarding Tulsi

1) She fucking met with Assad while he was gassing his own people. She keeps parroting Russian/Syrian talking points.

2) Supports gay rights? She's been constantly supporting and openly been anti-LGBT for years. And this isn't "I support Civil Union but not Marriage" 90's "anti-LGBT" that people love to throw around, this is straight up bigotry. She keeps saying she's changed (but has been on record of not actually having changed personal views, see below), but there is nothing indicating she has actually changed her mind outside of the fact that being an open bigot in the Democratic party, which she is only a member of because Hawaii's GOP party is DOA, is politically suicide.

Early in her career, Gabbard took after her father. She opposed abortion and supported a constitutional amendment defining marriage as between a man and a woman. After Honolulu Magazine emailed her father to ask about his former ties to a conservative Hare Krishna splinter group for a 2004 profile, it was Gabbard who replied angrily, accusing the magazine of "acting as a conduit for The Honolulu Weekly and other homosexual extremist supporters of Ed Case [her father's opponent]."

The same year, she used her platform as a state representative to testify against civil unions, calling the claim that they were different from same-sex marriage "dishonest, cowardly, and extremely disrespectful to the people of Hawaii," who had voted in favor of Constitutional Amendment 2 in 1998, empowering the legislature to withhold marriage from same-sex couples.

"As Democrats, we should be representing the views of the people, not a small number of homosexual extremists," she said at the time.

3) She's only well known because she backed Sanders, and in 2016 Sanders didn't have many allies in the Democratic party because, shockingly, when you spend your entire campaign calling the party your running for corrupt who are trying to sabotage your campaign you don't get that many friends. So when you don't have many friends, you take the ones you can get.

4) The alt-right fucking loves her for obvious reasons from the examples I stated above with her very right wing social conservatism and Islamophobia. She has advertisements on fucking Breitbart, goes on Fox News all the time to talk to her friend, Tucker white supremacist Carlson

Yet the starry-eyed anointment of Gabbard has obscured the more unsavory aspects of her politics — so unsavory, in fact, that White House adviser Steve Bannon has reportedly spoken well of her. From her vigorous opposition to the Iran nuclear deal to her obsession with "radical Islam" to her love for the far-right Indian leader Narendra Modi, Gabbard is far from the progressive hero many assume her to be.

And if you think her views have "changed" and she has done some type of "progressive" progress? She admitted in an interview that her personal views have not changed.

Fittingly for her narrative, though, the explanation for her changed ideology feints us back onto familiar territory — the military. It was, she says, the days in the Middle East that taught her the dangers of a theocratic government "imposing its will" on the people. (She tells me that, no, her personal views haven't changed, but she doesn't figure it's her job to do as the Iraqis did and force her own beliefs on others.)

5) She's not actually anti-interventionist. Her concern for "expansion" of the US armed forces into places like Syria/Iraq are out of concern for US soldiers, her compassion stops there. She's on record for being against the Iran deal (hmmmm I wonder why)

Another reason Gabbard started receiving applause from the Right was her very public skepticism of the Iran deal.

The Obama administration may have continued much of the Bush approach to the "war on terror," but it at least recognized the value of diplomacy. Not Gabbard, however, who told Fox News she was "cynical" toward the pact, and agreed with host Greta van Susteren that it was akin to Neville Chamberlain's infamous Munich agreement with Hitler in 1938.

But Gabbard is less discerning when autocrats aren't motivated by "radical Islam." In November 2015, she traveled to Egypt as part of a congressional delegation and met Egyptian dictator Abdel Fattah el-Sisi, part of an effort to strengthen US-Egypt relations. Sisi may be a blood-soaked tyrant who's killed hundreds of Egyptians and imprisoned many thousands more, but as Gabbard made clear at the time, he's tough where it counts.

"President el-Sisi has shown great courage and leadership in taking on this extreme Islamist ideology, while also fighting against ISIS militarily to keep them from gaining a foothold in Egypt," Gabbard said, urging US political leaders to "recognize President el-Sisi and his leadership" and "stand with him in this fight against . . . Islamic extremists." Some of the Sisi government's fantastic accomplishments in this fight include killing a group of Mexican tourists and quite possibly torturing and murdering an Italian PhD student.

Huh, strange that she keeps meeting with fucking dictators who are murdering their own people when it's about "Islamist Extremism"

Not to mention her love of Modi

But most appalling was his role in the 2002 anti-Muslim riots in the western state of Gujarat, which left one thousand people dead, nearly eight hundred of whom were Muslims. Modi was the state's chief minister at the time and has long been accused of allowing the riots to happen, with a former senior police officer testifying in 2011 that Modi said the night before the riots that Muslims needed to be taught a lesson.

Despite all of this, Gabbard has been one of Modi's most prominent boosters in the US. "He is a leader whose example and dedication to the people he serves should be an inspiration to elected officials everywhere," she said of Modi in 2014.

When a congressional panel was held in April 2014 on "the plight of religious minorities in India," with witnesses testifying about the mistreatment of Muslims, Gabbard said she didn't "believe the time of this hearing is a coincidence" and that it aimed to "influence the outcome of India's national elections." Gabbard voted against House Resolution 417, which criticized India's record on religious violence and called for specific measures to guarantee religious freedom in the country, explaining that its passage wouldn't help US-India relations. Yet two years later, Gabbard introduced a similar resolution that covered neighboring Muslim-majority Bangladesh, saying she was "particularly concerned over issues of religious freedom, and specifically, attacks against minority Hindus, Christians, Buddhists, and others" in the country.

Last edited:

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
You are correct, but this country never will because BUT MUH SOVEREIGNTY and deluded American exceptionalism will always win the day.
It's honestly in our best interests at this point. The US benefits a lot from soft power, and developing a community of, at least on paper, like-minded cultural allies is going to be very important now that we're moving back into a Great Powers era. Establishing the lines on things like "do we acknowledge war crimes" or "genocide bad, y/n?" is really, really important now, and not just for the reasons it always was. Realpolitik demands it!
There do is a solid case to bundle him with GWB, and perhaps Cheney.
I'd be down.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
So Scott Brown is defending... FORMA in her debate beef with Biden!

One of the key Republican votes needed to pass Dodd-Frank, which included the CFPB, was Sen. Scott Brown. I asked him if Biden lobbied him to back the bill. He did not.
EHGGO2QXUAANz43.png

ayyyyyyyyyyyyy lmao

PawPrints

Oct 30, 2017
Look at this way:

And it's clear she only backed Bernie because she wanted to cause more chaos—esp with this DNC is rigged bullshit.

Sanders, if he has a spine, she tell her to fuck off at this point

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017

Meghan McCain @MeghanMcCain

.@TulsiGabbard doesn't treat people who disagree with her like deplorables, is a combat veteran who enlisted after 9/11, and values free speech and religious freedom. I am baffled by how intensely threatened so many are by her voice in the race. She does it all on her own terms. https://twitter.com/kthomasdc/status/1185189428962234374 …

10:41 AM - Oct 18, 2019

Now I damn sure know Hillary was right.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

WaPo: Growing number of Republicans struggle to defend Trump on G-7 choice, Ukraine and Syria
A growing number of congressional Republicans expressed exasperation Friday over what they view as President Trump's indefensible behavior, a sign that the president's stranglehold on his party is starting to weaken as Congress hurtles toward a historic impeachment vote.
In interviews with more than 20 GOP lawmakers and congressional aides in the past 48 hours, many said they were repulsed by Trump's decision to host an international summit at his own resort and incensed by acting White House chief of staff Mick Mulvaney's admission — later withdrawn — that U.S. aid to Ukraine was withheld for political reasons. Others expressed anger over the president's abandonment of Kurdish allies in Syria.
-----------
Meanwhile, several GOP lawmakers have reached out to White House officials to urge Trump to reconsider his Doral decision, which they worry smacks of corruption, according to GOP officials familiar with the conversations who spoke on the condition of anonymity to talk candidly. At the very least, they're pressing Trump to publicly commit to hosting the international leaders free, to avoid any appearance that he's using his office to enrich himself.

I'm telling you this Doral thing is a bridge too far for many of them. It's straight up illegal to award yourself a government contract and many people have gone to prison for doing that very thing.
The fact that they won't let anyone see the bids means they didn't even bother. Oh and Jr saying he knows Doral was the lowest quote means he's lying (there were no other bids) or that he saw the other bids (also illegal).

Oct 27, 2017
That Meghan McCain quote is what people thought about Trump, even some older former natsec and diplomatic men who became cable contributors, until I guess it got too obvious, even for them.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
I'm telling you this Doral thing is a bridge too far for many of them. It's straight up illegal to award yourself a government contract and many people have gone to prison for doing that very thing.
The fact that they won't let anyone see the bids means they didn't even bother. Oh and Jr saying he knows Doral was the lowest quote means he's lying (there were no other bids) or that he saw the other bids (also illegal).
It's kind of sad that this is The Thing for many people, but I'll take it.

Falore

Banned
Feb 15, 2019
To give more credance to the fact that this is not necessarily just some conspiracy theory by Hillary. Referring to someone as an asset on behalf of another does not necessarily mean 'spy' you can be an asset or disruptor without even realizing you are one... with that in mind tulsi is literally an asset for Russia.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Kids in cages, inciting white terrorism, quid pro quo with Ukraine, the Mueller report, on and on... but Doral is the thing that makes them say "wow this guy is just too much". Republicans are so weird.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
It's kind of sad that this is The Thing for many people, but I'll take it.

I know, but this is a very clear crime. There's no wiggle room in it. There's no "he said, she said". There's no underlings he can point to and say, "They did it. Not me."
There's just the president literally putting taxpayer money in his pocket and daring them to stop him. And you know he's going to use taxpayer money to renovate his bedbug palace too.
My husband was on the "I want to get all the facts before I decide if it's impeachable" fence about Ukraine. He came home the other day after the Doral announcement and said, "He's gotta go." He was mad as hell about it.
So yeah, I'll take it too.

Edit: This isn't just a breach of the emoluments clause. This is a federal crime.

Last edited:

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I don't know what's more desperate at this point.

Tulsi. Just everything about her.

OR, the people whose hate for Hillary has gotten so freaking irrational that all it takes is a comment on a podcast about something everyone can already see for themselves to send otherwise "thoughtful" people into a mouth-foaming rage about how Hillary is going to going to "ruin everything," and should "go away already"...which apparently at this means just stop breathing.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
The Doral thing is Trump's "shooting someone on 5th Ave." moment.
Sadly, the GOP will most likely let him get away with it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

The big problem nervous Rs face is that Trump's recent behavior is just a continuation of what he's been doing since day one. So acting against him is an implicit admission that Democrats and Never Trumpers were right 1/

Psychologists and business strategy experts talk about the problem of "escalation of commitment" — both people and organizations often double down on bad strategies because they refuse to admit previous error 2/

I suspect that Trump's own behavior reflects the same thing: in a way he caved in to Erdogan bc he can't admit that his previous concessions to dictators have gone badly; he may even be doing the Doral G-7 thing bc he can't admit that previous malfeasance is a problem 3/

The thing is, escalation of commitment usually ruins individuals' own lives; sometimes it dooms business organizations. Now it may doom America's reputation, and maybe world peace 4/

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
I'm so tired of all of this.

A Western intelligence official familiar with what Durham has been asking of foreign officials says his inquiries track closely with the questions raised about the Russia investigation in right-wing media—a line of inquiry based on accusations made by George Papadopoulos.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Another reason Nina was a bad idea.

Shitbirds of a feather.
OR, the people whose hate for Hillary has gotten so freaking irrational that all it takes is a comment on a podcast about something everyone can already see for themselves to send otherwise "thoughtful" people into a mouth-foaming rage about how Hillary is going to going to "ruin everything," and should "go away already"...which apparently at this means just stop breathing.
Not even her ceasing to breathe would quell the rage of the Mommy Issues Caucus. They'd just say she hogged too much attention while doing it.

Nov 20, 2017

Liberal veteran who worked with the Sanders campaign in 2016 confirms that Tootsie is full of shit and only pretends to care about her fellow vets. Shocker!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.