• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Add it to the pile:

John Bresnahan @BresPolitico

40+ consultants worked on a one-year, $2.25 million contract directed by Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services Administrator Seema Verma. The contractors were hired to burnish Verma's personal brand and provide 'strategic communications' support. https://www.politico.com/news/2019/11/12/federal-health-funneled-dollars-trump-allies-069638 …

6:48 AM - Nov 12, 2019

Matthew Yglesias @mattyglesias

They found the waste, fraud, and abuse https://twitter.com/brespolitico/status/1194220455638523904 …

7:13 AM - Nov 12, 2019 · Washington, DC

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017

Mark Knoller @markknoller

Pres says he'll release "transcript" of his first phone call with Ukraine's Pres Zelensky "before week's end." Last week he said it would probably come today. https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1194216106300444672 …

I will be releasing the transcript of the first, and therefore more important, phone call with the Ukrainian President before week's end!​

7:09 AM - Nov 12, 2019

John Hudson @John_Hudson

Not sure why the April phone call being first makes it "more important" but it should be interesting. Vindman & others testified that this call was warm and positive (very different tone than July 25th). But you can usually count on some off script moment that's at least amusing https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1194216106300444672 …

6:58 AM - Nov 12, 2019

Maggie Haberman @maggieNYT

What is noteworthy is the timing, coming in the middle of the impeachment hearings about a July call. The April call May pose fewer problems for potus but could help shift focus. https://twitter.com/john_hudson/status/1194222972745203712 …

7:20 AM - Nov 12, 2019

I don't get why anyone's is gonna care if he didn't commit a crime during their first phone call. He still did in the second one.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Wa8xfbj.png

lqV9AhT.png

amSkaiS.png

jPq0E85.png

JzUx5Ow.png

JIPL6Ff.png

-----------------------

K6UUOFI.png

zAps9Ek.png

Wilsongt

Oct 25, 2017
Omg NPR running the Biden video about the prosecutor and calling it Quid pro quo as if to equate it with what Trump is doing

Hopfrog

Oct 27, 2017
Omg NPR running the Biden video about the prosecutor and calling it Quid pro quo as if to equate it with what Trump is doing

I was listening to that too. They also had someone from the CFR on to explain how the Biden action was taken because of legitimate foreign policy interests but Trump's was not.

Oh, and Trump's "logic" on releasing the earlier call is 100% based on the belief that it will cancel out the second in people's minds.

AndyD

Mambo Number PS5
Oct 27, 2017
Nashville
I was listening to that too. They also had someone from the CFR on to explain how the Biden action was taken because of legitimate foreign policy interests but Trump's was not.

Oh, and Trump's "logic" on releasing the earlier call is 100% based on the belief that it will cancel out the second in people's minds.
I'm looking forward to figuring out how they altered that script.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
God I can just feel the media clamoring for something new to report on. They're gonna buy that first call hook line and sinker. It's dumb as shit how the goalposts constantly shift further and further.

Also that polling above is just a reminder that the republican base is actual scum.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017
God I can just feel the media clamoring for something new to report on. They're gonna buy that first call hook line and sinker. It's dumb as shit how the goalposts constantly shift further and further.

Also that polling above is just a reminder that the republican base is actual scum.
Public hearings start tomorrow. The call summary is gonna flop over live testimonies.

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland

Public hearings start tomorrow lol. If Trump wanted any actual coverage on this new transcript it'd have been released today, now its by the end of the week.

YaBish

Unshakable Resolve - One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Public hearings start tomorrow. The call summary is gonna flop over live testimonies.
I'm optimistic about the public hearings, but my worry is that it'll be the same (admittedly damning) testimony by and large that we've gotten in closed door sessions, and the media just won't give a shit because it's not bringing any huge "new" revelations.

MarioW

PikPok
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
New Zealand
I'm optimistic about the public hearings, but my worry is that it'll be the same (admittedly damning) testimony by and large that we've gotten in closed door sessions, and the media just won't give a shit because it's not bringing any huge "new" revelations.

Don't need new revelations if it delivers clips and sound bites, as well as restating things verbally they might have missed because they didn't review material closely enough in the first place.

See: Mueller testimony

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
This entire 3 year nightmare has had me wishing that we provided people a proper education in civics. Seeing that impeachment polling is another sobering reminder.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
No way GOP run with insanity plea.

This isn't a criminal trial, we aren't trying to figure out if he should go to jail, we are trying to figure out if he should be removed from office. Your defense of him being not in the right state of mind means he isn't fit for office and should be removed immediately. It's essentially involving the 25th amendment.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Brian Stelter @brianstelter

Trump is "truthful," Nikki Haley says:@SavannahGuthrie asked, "Did you think he was a truthful person?"

"Yes," Haley said. "In every instance that I dealt with him, he was truthful, he listened, and he was great to work with."​

7:41 AM - Nov 12, 2019

Susan Hennessey @Susan_Hennessey

Yesterday on NPR, Haley dismissed the many women with credible allegations of rape and sexual assault against Trump by saying she had never seen it personally and that Trump had been elected anyway. When people like Haley show you who they are, believe them.​
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1194233662985973760 …

She then, absurdly, said that if Trump had said the words on the Access Hollywood tape in front of her, she would have quit. But she had no qualms working for a man who had been caught on tape saying it.​

9:12 AM - Nov 12, 2019

AnotherNils

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Trumps tweets are even dumber and transparent this morning. Arguing Dreamers are flush with criminals and in the next breath saying he'll cut a deal to let these criminals stay. Releasing another transcript and claiming it's more important because it came 'first'. Make it stop.

Killthee

Oct 25, 2017

Don't need new revelations if it delivers clips and sound bites, as well as restating things verbally they might have missed because they didn't review material closely enough in the first place.

See: Mueller testimony
This ☝️

The soundbites will propel the story forward even if nothing new is revealed.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
So here we go.

Republicans are going to argue that Trump is too incompetent to do things in the name of the office of the president. And that is exactly why he must be protected and remain president.
Haha

please keep our incompetent and unqualified guy as the most powerful leader in the free world!

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
This entire 3 year nightmare has had me wishing that we provided people a proper education in civics. Seeing that impeachment polling is another sobering reminder.
I don't think civics education would supersede right-wing partisan brainwashing. Republicans believe whatever they want to believe and helps their interests

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
That impeachment polling is just another in an endless list of reminders about how hopelessly polarized this country is. What is even the way back from this? How do you deprogram tens of millions of brainwashed people?

Sir Tsunami

Oct 25, 2017
That impeachment polling is just another in an endless list of reminders about how hopelessly polarized this country is. What is even the way back from this? How do you deprogram tens of millions of brainwashed people?

Typically this is done by uniting everyone for a common cause. Unfortunately, I can't think of anything everyone would agree on enough to feel united about

Owzers

Oct 26, 2017

Brian Stelter @brianstelter

Trump is "truthful," Nikki Haley says:@SavannahGuthrie asked, "Did you think he was a truthful person?"

"Yes," Haley said. "In every instance that I dealt with him, he was truthful, he listened, and he was great to work with."

7:41 AM - Nov 12, 2019

Susan Hennessey @Susan_Hennessey

Yesterday on NPR, Haley dismissed the many women with credible allegations of rape and sexual assault against Trump by saying she had never seen it personally and that Trump had been elected anyway. When people like Haley show you who they are, believe them.
https://twitter.com/brianstelter/status/1194233662985973760 …

She then, absurdly, said that if Trump had said the words on the Access Hollywood tape in front of her, she would have quit. But she had no qualms working for a man who had been caught on tape saying it.

9:12 AM - Nov 12, 2019

if you want a Pence, I can be a Pence. I can grovel with the best.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017

There isn't a way back. A way forward? Well, we tried being cool with it and it only got worse. So maybe we gotta do it the post-Nazi Germany way. Politically snuff out the radical right wing.

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017

Andy Kroll @AndyKroll

.@JustinAmash was the first Republican to call for Trump's impeachment.

Now, he's quit the GOP, and is betting his political future that there's room in conservative politics for anything other than Trump.

Is he crazy? https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-features/justin-amash-trump-impeachment-independent-republican-910739/ …

9:25 AM - Nov 12, 2019

www.rollingstone.com

Justin Amash: The Last Republican in America

He was the first Republican to back impeachment. Now, he's betting that there's room in conservative politics for anything other than Trump

"You finally get to the point where nobody breaks from what the speaker wants or what the party leaders want," Amash tells me. "I've called it a partisan death spiral. There's no real way out because you'd have to convince the majority of Congress to break from the system that seems to work well for a lot of them." He doesn't see that happening any time soon. "For most of them, from their perspective, it's a good gig. They get to stay in power. They don't have to think. And they're taken care of."
All of this worsened under Trump. Amash's comrades in the House Freedom Caucus stopped caring so much about deficits and an open legislative process — now, it was all about delivering for the president. "I used to feel like I had more people who were willing to stand up for the right thing," Amash says. "In recent years and especially in recent months, people have capitulated and allowed the system to consume them."
The Justice Department released the Mueller Report on April 18th, Amash's 39th birthday. He told himself that, unlike his Republican colleagues, he wouldn't weigh in until he had read the report, front to back, all 448 pages of it. The Russian interference findings in Volume I unsettled him, but it was the evidence of obstruction of justice laid out in the second volume that floored him.
A month after the report came out, Amash wrote a tweet. He took aim at Attorney General Bill Barr for having "deliberately misrepresented Mueller's report." He stated that Trump had "engaged in impeachable conduct" as laid out in the Mueller report. And he blasted his colleagues in Congress for not bothering to read the report in the first place. He took a deep breath and hit send.
---------------------------
It's a "totally corrupt" system, he told one audience. "You either fall in line and the party apparatus supports you. Or if you have independent thoughts, you are punished, criticized, and attacked even by your own party."
After he tweeted in support of impeachment, Trump called him a "lightweight" and a "loser." The Republican National Committee accused him of failing the people he represented. As of this writing, there are five Republicans (and four Democrats) vying to knock Amash out of office, including the scion of one of Michigan's wealthiest families. One accused him of teaming up with "radical liberals … to try and bring down our president." One of his biggest donors, the Christian conservative DeVos family, disavowed him. Some of his closest friends chastised him for going public with his support for impeachment. Why couldn't he have kept those thoughts to himself?
Amash says he wasn't happy to have found what he did in the Mueller report. "Nobody wants to find that the president has engaged in impeachable conduct," he tells me. "But I had an obligation to constituents to tell them. It was an attempt to write something that would be correct for history." He says he's still friends with lawmakers like Thomas Massie and Jim Jordan, but neither Massie nor Jordan would agree to speak about Amash for this story.
His central message, however, is not about the poisonous partisanship in Washington. It's about putting his faith in the very people who came out to his town halls and chimed in on his (still active) Facebook page and Twitter. The typical voter, he says, isn't as partisan as the politicians and consultants in Washington think. Amash believes he has more support in his district, not less, since he turned independent. That was true at the handful of events I attended, where the number of people who thanked him for what he'd done outnumbered the ones who criticized him for "betraying" the president.
"That is not the narrative they expected," he told one crowd. "That means we are going to surprise them with this. It will help change the mindset in Washington, and I think that is critically important."

cameron

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
If SCOTUS are hearing oral arguments on DACA today what is the timeline for an expected decision?
>

Jonathan Lemire @JonLemire

"Now it's up to the Supreme Court to say whether the way the administration has gone about trying to wind down DACA complies with federal law.

"A decision is expected by June 2020, amid the presidential election campaign." https://apnews.com/338e568dba644de597185309a790e09d …

7:47 AM - Nov 12, 2019

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
There isn't a way back. A way forward? Well, we tried being cool with it and it only got worse. So maybe we gotta do it the post-Nazi Germany way. Politically snuff out the radical right wing.
Beating Republicans doesn't do anything about our information bubble problem. If anything it has exacerbated it.

It just seems incredibly unsustainable in the long run for a democracy if roughly half the electorate lives in a separate reality and reflexively opposes -- and does so quite vehemently -- anything the other half wants, says, or does. And this is a mostly one-sided problem, as Dems are far more likely to give the benefit of the doubt to Republicans or express a willingness in working across the aisle than the other way around.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

Mark Knoller @markknoller

Pres says he'll release "transcript" of his first phone call with Ukraine's Pres Zelensky "before week's end." Last week he said it would probably come today. https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/1194216106300444672 …

I will be releasing the transcript of the first, and therefore more important, phone call with the Ukrainian President before week's end!​

7:09 AM - Nov 12, 2019

John Hudson @John_Hudson

Not sure why the April phone call being first makes it "more important" but it should be interesting. Vindman & others testified that this call was warm and positive (very different tone than July 25th). But you can usually count on some off script moment that's at least amusing https://twitter.com/realdonaldtrump/status/1194216106300444672 …

6:58 AM - Nov 12, 2019

Maggie Haberman @maggieNYT

What is noteworthy is the timing, coming in the middle of the impeachment hearings about a July call. The April call May pose fewer problems for potus but could help shift focus. https://twitter.com/john_hudson/status/1194222972745203712 …

7:20 AM - Nov 12, 2019

Only if you, the media, let it. Also, if it was anything helpful, he would have released it immediately.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they are negotiating with Zelensky because he was pissed they included his words the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.