• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Avinash117

Oct 25, 2017
Lets say biden wins and we get a D trifecta, whats going to be Bidens big legislative push? Whats his ACA equivalent?

It definty be something like a public option, but I doubt it is going to pass anyway because I doubt the democrats will have the 60 votes. I suspect that Biden will push harder for bipartisan support, if nothing gets done in sometime he'll go the Obama route. Obama had the ability to have a legacy, the country is significantly more partisan so unless Joe wants no legacy he'll do what Obama did after 2013 or he'll settle for greatly diminished legislation if any.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017

Oh hey, there are those Javelin missles all the kids are talking about!

Cleaning up all the laws (in this case, impoundment laws) that this administration skirted or ignored on BS reasons is going to take decades. The only thing they have been skilled at is finding a way to circumvent every weak point in oversight and separation of powers laws-basically red teaming authoritarism.

OfficerRob

Oct 25, 2017
I don't know if you noticed but the American voter is stupid.
Indeed, that's why trying to explain anything after "I'll get rid of your private medical insurance" is a massive loser that will be beat over Bernie and Warren's heads. My argument is that we can play "this particular smear/attack is going to be effective" with ALL the candidates, and they likely will be

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Even in the middle of a quazi-revolt again the idea of intellectualism in different areas of the globe, still EVERY other country on earth will sign up against climate change. Or, even if they're doing varying amounts of nothing about it, will at least admit it exists. American ignorance on this is basically a 21st century version of being backward on slavery through the 19th.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
Assuming Biden got everything he's running on passed, that would still mark a leftward shift. His healthcare plan would significantly beef up the ACA (including a much stronger public option than what Obama nearly got in 09), his climate plan is basically the Green New Deal Lite ($1.7 trillion in investments paid for by repealing the Trump tax cuts and would probably roll in a lot of his infrastructure proposals), his college plan would make the first two years free and reduce student loan payments, etc.

Plus I can't imagine him opposing basically anything that's passed Pelosi's House already. For the People Act, the prescription drugs bill (this would basically pay for ACA 2.0), the DREAM Act (I imagine there'd be a push for a big immigration bill similar to the one passed in 2013 as well), the Equality Act, the Paycheck Fairness Act, the $15 minimum wage (which he explicitly endorsed), universal background checks, DC statehood etc. etc.

Biden + Dem Congress could still get a lot done. Probably depends on how much they're willing to stretch reconciliation, but we shouldn't act like that would just be a return to the status quo. Obama's status quo was passing nothing because the Republicans held one or both houses of Congress for six years, but his first two years were fire.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Obama's first 2 years were pretty fire.

I would feel a lot more comfortable if Biden didn't keep speaking to rich people about how fine they're going to be under his presidency. This might actually be the issue I care most about. We need massive tax increases on the wealthy and Biden is just not the candidate for that, unfortunately.

Oct 25, 2017
I imagine any of our candidates would pass the For the People Act if they got a Dem Congress. Which would go a long way in fixing our democracy!

Though, more reason why we need President Warren. Her anti-corruption package would do such good for this country.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
It's not anti illectualism. It's a concerted effort to make rule making impossible. It's basically TRAP laws for science and regulation.
Sure, but those laws only pass because conservatives have made a long-term, concerted effort to demonize expertise and knowledge as being "elitist" concepts used by people "who think they're better than you" etc etc. It's not just that they're passing the laws, their voter base is actually enthusiastic about taking down Big Science or something

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
As an expert on republican culture, anti-intellectualism and deception are big parts of it.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Bold strategy from Nikki Haley trying to appeal to MAGA folks in the next primary with the pictures of her family that are out there. Non starter.

Doing the Schrödinger's Republican and NOT getting wished into the cornfield for it for her and Senator Gollum is wierd. Must be in the water around here.

There is a delicious irony to the fact that Florida Man's last line of defense involves him getting his base to read something.

They're not, but that's not the point. It's reassuring them with the alternative fact that it's "perfect" and exonerating. Second-Hand Narcissism. To read it would break them.

It's uniquely disturbing to see Fox News dinguses try to appropriate the development of the polio vaccine for billionaire financiers when not only was the inventor of the vaccine uninterested in personal profit, but the funding for his and others' vaccine research was secured largely through one of the most successful public small donation programs in American history, the March of Dimes, founded by fucking FDR. Most of Fox News' otogenarian audience probably remembers giving them the money, for fuck's sake.

Edit: not to mention the polio virus was largely eradicated worldwide by UNICEF and the WHO before the Gates Foundation even fucking existed, so trying to give Gates sole credit for that is fucking absurd.

That's why scumbags like Watters do it, so you'll argue with them. Don't correct the lie, point out they're lying/are a liar.

Oh hey, there are those Javelin missles all the kids are talking about!

Like with the Perry issue of him trying to get his buddies parasityzing our deliveries of LNG to Ukraine, this is another Road Leading To Putin Thru Ukraine.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Yeah, Castro has no chance. Still, it's so refreshing to see a charming candidate go into the devil's den and say this out loud:

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
If only I could read it...
Disable Javascript for nyt and enjoy. But here:
The Trump administration is preparing to significantly limit the scientific and medical research that the government can use to determine public health regulations, overriding protests from scientists and physicians who say the new rule would undermine the scientific underpinnings of government policymaking.

A new draft of the Environmental Protection Agency proposal, titled Strengthening Transparency in Regulatory Science, would require that scientists disclose all of their raw data, including confidential medical records, before the agency could consider an academic study's conclusions.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

giphy.gif

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I'm not comfortable with the framing that certain candidates (strangely, the PoC candidates) are "attacking." That just rings...kind of gross to me.

Castro isn't attacking anyone. He's speaking truth to power. Black women are the backbone of this party. They aren't represented at all in the first two pivotal contests.

NookSports

Oct 27, 2017
One thing that will be very different this impeachment than before is the globalized nature of this whole ordeal.
You have to wonder how much other heads of state will be asked about this, especially once public hearings begin.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Really good thread on what was behind the don jr. heckling and the pickle the gop has gotten themselves into by courting white nationalist votes but putting their efforts on tax cuts for the 1%

AntoneM

Oct 25, 2017
I'm glad because the guy in the Mueller hearing didn't wow me. (That's not really a fair measurement of a counsel, but this is to sell people so it matters)

Trump showing his ass is typical moronic fashion.

which, by the way, destroyed the AFGE union powers in the VA so it made it easier to fire low level employees in addition to the executive pay scale employees which were causing all the trouble. *source is me a VA employee.

Guess which employees get fired at a higher RATE now?

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
What has Trump planned to divert attention from first impeachment hearing on Wednesday?

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Assuming Biden got everything he's running on passed, that would still mark a leftward shift. His healthcare plan would significantly beef up the ACA (including a much stronger public option than what Obama nearly got in 09), his climate plan is basically the Green New Deal Lite ($1.7 trillion in investments paid for by repealing the Trump tax cuts and would probably roll in a lot of his infrastructure proposals), his college plan would make the first two years free and reduce student loan payments, etc.

Plus I can't imagine him opposing basically anything that's passed Pelosi's House already. For the People Act, the prescription drugs bill (this would basically pay for ACA 2.0), the DREAM Act (I imagine there'd be a push for a big immigration bill similar to the one passed in 2013 as well), the Equality Act, the Paycheck Fairness Act, the $15 minimum wage (which he explicitly endorsed), universal background checks, DC statehood etc. etc.

Biden + Dem Congress could still get a lot done. Probably depends on how much they're willing to stretch reconciliation, but we shouldn't act like that would just be a return to the status quo. Obama's status quo was passing nothing because the Republicans held one or both houses of Congress for six years, but his first two years were fire.

This is kind of where I'm at. Biden is a rubber stamp for anything Pelosi and a hypothetical Senate want to put together. It may not be the ideal, but there is the potential for some massive, necessary changes to our institutions and social apparatuses.

Then again, this reasoning got me called, derisively, an "incrementalist" by one of my coworkers the other day even though I'm not endorsing it, just saying that it's a reality we may have to make the best of.

As an expert on republican culture, anti-intellectualism and deception are big parts of it.

This is pretty much just human culture. Yes, republicans and other right-wing movements are often more blatant, even proud, of it and often oppose ideas so fundamental that it should be outright shameful but anti-intellectualism among progressive movements ain't exactly sacrosanct. Sure, they can be correct that nuclear power isn't perfect, but it's a damned sight better than our dominant systems now and the panic instilled by nuclear is an actual threat. Likewise, GMO opposition is largely rooted in the political left, and legitimately hurts people on a global basis while also ignoring all science.

On a totally different note, since Trump's "Sleepy Joe" nickname came up earlier, I vote for Biden outright embracing it and using a new Springsteen song as his theme. Worked in 2012...

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Sen Kennedy said that the request was for investigation into corruption. The subject was coincidentally a political opponent, but you can't hold trump accountable, it's the in the public interest.

they're getting pretty creative

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So they are cutting off aid to *looks at list*

Saudi Arabia
China
Israel
Russia
North Korea
Pakistan
India
Turkey
A 3rd of the African countries

Honestly this just seems like another form of Muslim ban when everyone knows how the administration is going to be selective on this.

"Pakistan you won't get aid from us because you treat Christian's poorly... that aid goes to India!"
I think in principle, it's probably a good bill.

edit: but of course it'sthe Trump admin

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
This is kind of where I'm at. Biden is a rubber stamp for anything Pelosi and a hypothetical Senate want to put together. It may not be the ideal, but there is the potential for some massive, necessary changes to our institutions and social apparatuses.

Then again, this reasoning got me called, derisively, an "incrementalist" by one of my coworkers the other day even though I'm not endorsing it, just saying that it's a reality we may have to make the best of.
Yeah, people conflate the two a lot and it can be genuinely frustrating. I experienced that a lot in 2016 where "come on, Hillary might not be ideal but she wouldn't be that bad" was understood as "I am a useless party shill, please don't listen to me, bEtTeR tHiNgS aReN't PoSsIbLe."

Like I'd like to think I've earned my progressive bona fides by now, but nope, politics started in 2016 and I'm on Team Asshole ig.

lmcfigs

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

This is pretty much just human culture. Yes, republicans and other right-wing movements are often more blatant, even proud, of it and often oppose ideas so fundamental that it should be outright shameful but anti-intellectualism among progressive movements ain't exactly sacrosanct. Sure, they can be correct that nuclear power isn't perfect, but it's a damned sight better than our dominant systems now and the panic instilled by nuclear is an actual threat. Likewise, GMO opposition is largely rooted in the political left, and legitimately hurts people on a global basis while also ignoring all science.

On a totally different note, since Trump's "Sleepy Joe" nickname came up earlier, I vote for Biden outright embracing it and using a new Springsteen song as his theme. Worked in 2012...

I would like to see a series of "Trump laws" that codify into law all the norms the administration has broken and we just assumed a president wouldn't do.

Gyro Zeppeli

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not comfortable with the framing that certain candidates (strangely, the PoC candidates) are "attacking." That just rings...kind of gross to me.

Castro isn't attacking anyone. He's speaking truth to power. Black women are the backbone of this party. They aren't represented at all in the first two pivotal contests.

I'd much rather have Nina Turner running than Kamala Harris. The PoC candidates have, for the most part, been running centrist positions, and they don't inspire excitement.

Status
Not open for further replies.