• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
I do think there's more overlap between the people who started the initial Warren rise and AOC than some here are giving credit.

But nothing is saving Bernie's campaign, especially after the heart attack.

Yup. If it turns out that AOC is playing the long haul here by initially appeasing Bernie's camp and then providing Warren an endorsement next year after he's out of the running, I think that's the smartest play she could personally opt to make.

JesseEwiak

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
There's a state delegation loyalty thing at play I imagine.

Oh, I'm sure that's part of it as well, but let's be honest here - there's not much of a chance Omar, Tilab, or AOC have any short-term chances at moving up, so endorsing Bernie is a low risk proposition for them.

Also, as somebody else said, in the past week, Bernie accused Warren of being a capitalist and most of the America hating Squad endorsed Bernie - sounds pretty good for Warren's appeal to moderates. I'm only mostly trolling with that line.

Aaron

I’m seeing double here!
Oct 25, 2017
Minneapolis
I think AOC's endorsement will be a bigger deal than people think, though at the end of the day I don't think it changes anything. Bernie, like all the non-Warren candidates has enjoyed short bursts here and there, but he can't sustain them.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This debate was a good training exercise for Warren. She has a few kinks to work out for the GE but overall I felt that she handled the relentless attacks well by simply rebutting and taking up maximum air time.

Honestly this was Biden's stronger debate performance but that exchange with Warren kinda sunk him. You can tell he felt the burn from that Obama credit from Warren.

Sanders did well for the most part, you couldn't tell he had a hearth attack from his performance on stage.

Buttiegeg tried to steal as much air time as possible and same for Klobachar... both came off ass abrasive and overlay aggressive. I can't see them holding on to their likability stats.

Bero, Booker and Castro were all fine but they aren't moving the needles. Just solid VP candidate material.

I think minus the Twitter jabs, Harris had a solid night but for her that's not going to cut it anymore.

Steyer and Gabbard irrelevant and Gabbard getting assaulted by Buttiegeg and denied her attack on Warren. I definitely don't want to see either of these folks again.

Yang focuses on a few economics issues and not much else resulting in limited air time. That's just not going to fly. I do like some of his ideas admittedly but not much about him tells him he is presidential material.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think there is any 9D Chess.

Timing is pretty obvious AOC was in Sanders back pocket and his heart attack basically accelerated the time table for showing his hand in order to get control of the downtrend in the polling.

AOC endorsing Warren while Sanders was in the race would piss off a lot of people, just like when Warren didn't endorse Sanders in 16'.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (5 Days): Sexist Commentary
I do think many of you including myself are living in a bubble re warren.

I am getting surrounded by Hillary 2.0 vibes here in MN. My wife says she doesn't like warren. My coworker best bud says warren is a gun to the head candidate. My mom and my dad don't like warren.

These are all lifelong dems and they all don't like warren. I love her and donate to her and I hope she wins the whole thing.

But honestly just the vibe to me is that she's fucking worse than Hillary at this point in terms of talking about her from people I know.

And honestly I will say she looks like a crazy pissed off bird woman in all all these debates. Everyone i watch these debates with says with no prompting damn she looks fucking crazy. Her fucking eyebrows don't move (and that's true). Just saying anecdotally I get Hillary vibes and it ain't good.

shinra-bansho

Oct 25, 2017
I think AOC's endorsement will be a bigger deal than people think, though at the end of the day I don't think it changes anything. Bernie, like all the non-Warren candidates has enjoyed short bursts here and there, but he can't sustain them.
Eh.

The groups that Sanders is getting zero support from are people over 45, and people who voted previously for Clinton.

So I dunno how much it moves the needle.

Warren has steadily increased by broadening her support.

woman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta
Kop trying to swipe Warren's stance on... Donald Trump's twitter account...? was the biggest FAIL of the debate. Good night.

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
I am kind of tired of hearing from Amy how Minnesota likes her. Lol and she keeps only calling Warren by exclusively saying Elizabeth.

Double 0

Nov 5, 2017
I'm expecting Squad - Ayanna endorsing Bernie.

Bernie already has the youth vote so this doesn't change much.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Good: Warren (that Medicare for All question was bad for her but other did good especially on rebutting Biden on CFPB as stated in her book), Castro (that police violence answer was a scorching great answer), Bernie (did well for the most part apart), Booker (same thing as Castro)

Middle of the Road: Biden (apart from Hunter and CFPB, he did okay), Harris (was good until the Twitter question popped up), Beto (had some decent answers but he looks so fucking done with this race)

Bad: Klobuchar (kept throwing in jokes for every answer she says, it doesn't work), Pete (That gun control rebuttal to Beto was so fucking bad), Steyer (literally nothing of use), Yang (TRUCKS TRUCKS TRUCKS)

Ugly: Tulsi (that fucking Syria answer was some of the worst shit she ever said "endless regime wars!" and got rightfully dunked on for it)

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I don't think there is any 9D Chess.

Timing is pretty obvious AOC was in Sanders back pocket and his heart attack basically accelerated the time table for showing his hand in order to get control of the downtrend in the polling.
Ya. I agree. If things were going well for Bernie, he wouldn't be pulling the endorsement now. But he absolutely HAS to stop the bleeding. To me, that's the best you can hope for with an AOC/Squad endorsement. It's not going to help him among any group he's doing poorly with. There are a few endorsements that actually do have the potential to shake up the race for different people. An AOC endorsement of Warren would be big because of what it implies. But it doesn't have the same weight here. Similarly, Clyburn endorsing Bernie would be HUGE, whereas if he endorsed Biden it would be a meh endorsement.

I agree Bernie's team has to do something to stop the bleeding. That's the best you can hope for from this, and maybe a news cycle where they won't be talking about his heart.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
And just to back up what I said, Data for Progress did a poll with YouGov on the primary 2-3 months ago where they also polled AOC. Warren supporters were by far the most likely to be very favorable toward AOC.

In terms of an endorsement for Bernie, I'm not sure what could really be bigger in trying to get back some of the very liberal/progressive voters he lost to Warren.

It still won't change the inevitable, of course. And he still sucks with everyone else anyway.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
AOC, Ilhan, and Rashida all are going to endorse Bernie -- big get by him.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix

I am getting surrounded by Hillary 2.0 vibes here in MN. My wife says she doesn't like warren. My coworker best bud says warren is a gun to the head candidate. My mom and my dad don't like warren.

These are all lifelong dems and they all don't like warren. I love her and donate to her and I hope she wins the whole thing.

But honestly just the vibe to me is that she's fucking worse than Hillary at this point in terms of talking about her from people I know.

And honestly I will day she looks like a crazy pissed off bird woman in all all these debates. Everyone i watch these debates with says with no prompting damn she looks fucking crazy. Her fucking eyebrows don't move (and that's true). Just saying anecdotally I get Hillary vibes and it ain't good.
There is no reason for this since the only similarities are that they are both older white women.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
personally convinced that all the polls showing her with the highest net favorability in the primary field by an increasingly wide margin are wrong because noted bernie supporter zoonami has Anecdotes

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I don't understand the calculus behind the squad endorsing Bernie so early.

Even if they're fans of his, they know they're big names in the party. And big names don't endorse this early...much less endorse the candidate that just had a heart attack and, for good reason, is sinking in the polls.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
lol, these are some reactions to AOC endorsing Bernie. Of course that's who she'd endorse. It was gonna be him or no one. Further, it's absolutely a zero-risk move for her here, so I don't know why people are treating it like some grand tactical error. I'll be surprised if it matters one bit.

edit: To clarify, I'm not saying "AOC's endorsement doesn't matter" or denigrating her at all. I wish we had a hundred more of her. I'm saying endorsements generally don't matter.

Iolo

Oct 27, 2017
Britain

And honestly I will day she looks like a crazy pissed off bird woman in all all these debates. Everyone i watch these debates with says with no prompting damn she looks fucking crazy. Her fucking eyebrows don't move (and that's true). Just saying anecdotally I get Hillary vibes and it ain't good.

It's definitely anecdotal since she has the highest favorability of any Democrat in the field. Whether this translates to general election support is debatable, but your family and friends are in the 13% of Democrats who dislike her.

edit: beaten soundly

legacyzero

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Poliera earlier this week: PFFTT not way AOC would endorse Bernie. It would be a giant "misstep"

PoliERA tonight: Meh I never really liked AOC anyway

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
And just to back up what I said, Data for Progress did a poll with YouGov on the primary 2-3 months ago where they also polled AOC. Warren supporters were by far the most likely to be very favorable toward AOC.
I mean, I think this is me. I feel very favorably towards AOC. I feel very favorably towards Warren. I disagree with the endorsement.

There's kind of a limit to how effective someone's endorsement can be when they're primarily attractive to people who pay a lot of attention to politics and you're counting on them to sway people who pay a lot of attention to politics. This is the group that's most likely to shrug it off and to already have their minds firmly made up.

Deleted member 8561

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
AOC, Ilhan, and Rashida all are going to endorse Bernie -- big get by him.

Like I said, these endorsements were already lined up ahead of time. This is shooting his load to stop the bleeding in the polls and shift the narrative. Which is smart, because he absolutely had to do something to fix that.

But in terms of endorsements, this early on is shooting your shot so to speak months and months before any primary vote is cast.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
I don't understand the calculus behind the squad endorsing Bernie so early.

Even if they're fans of his, they know they're big names in the party. And big names don't endorse this early...much less endorse the candidate that just had a heart attack and, for good reason, is sinking in the polls.
They might be big names but they're really only popular within a very small subset of the Democratic electorate.

Blue Skies

Banned
Mar 27, 2019
Every post I read post debate tonight, just on this site, is scaring me more.

We're gonna kill each other aren't we

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
I feel like AOC and bernie are the same base. I don't think the endorsement will do anything really.

For the record I like both, but Warren is where I'm leaning.

Dierce

Oct 27, 2017
Regardless of who gets the nomination it's most imperative for Sanders to drop out as soon as possible. Hopefully these endorsement have no effect on his poliing just to help calm me a bit. I really dont think Sanders has any chance of beating trump under any condition and even if he did he would accomplish absolutely nothing and lead to a republican blowout of unprecedented proportions 4 years later.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017

And honestly I will say she looks like a crazy pissed off bird woman in all all these debates. Everyone i watch these debates with says with no prompting damn she looks fucking crazy. Her fucking eyebrows don't move (and that's true). Just saying anecdotally I get Hillary vibes and it ain't good.
This is not borne out in any opinion polls. She has the best favorability of any Democrat in the primary and is above water with the general electorate. Hillary was not at this point in time. So this is purely anecdotal and not backed up by data.

Her favorability could go down. But like, right now? No. The bubble seems to be your own.

Status
Not open for further replies.