• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Shouldn't you be doing the vetting before you offer them the job? Im pretty sure a vetting of the persons major media products should be step one of a basic vetting process that would have instantly disqualified him for a video media job?

Like a basic google search would have shown that he was radioactive to hire.
Life imitating art.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
3 years later, I've gradually understood why. And now I know. I wish I knew sooner.
This is who Bernie has always surrounded himself with. I'm not gonna shade anyone for ever supporting him. But the man has been trash for decades. He surrounds himself with the worst people ever, and then typically doubles down on them. I'm not going to praise him for not doing that this time. This is data point 9,442 of why he would be a HORRIBLE executive, and how he literally picks the worst people CONSTANTLY.
My thought is that the church simply has to present that they are doing programs (including ministry, i.e. sunday service) that are equal to or greater than the value of their donations plus assets. If their income+assets is more than the service they provide to the community, you tax them. All that requires is setting a fair market value on what ministry is worth.

Really, with a generous FMV for ministry, this would be targeted at the megachurches and scam preachers.
I feel like that would be incredibly hard to quantify. For example, my diaper bank clearly doesn't make a profit. Typically, i have to throw in a few hundred a month to meet the needs of folks. (Although the last two months we've been 100% self sufficient which has been a BIG win. And we did so without cutting things.) Our church basically takes our tithe and uses that to cover the pastor's salary and to keep the lights on/up keep. Anything left over is donated to one of the charities we support, and it does vary from month to month. Sometimes there's a lot to give to the diaper bank, the food bank, the animal shelters, etc. Sometimes there is not. I feel like the people that abuse the religious tax exemptions are things we just have to kinda accept if we want to allow any tax exempt status. Like I said, there's a debate to be had as to if churches should be tax exempt at all. It's just not one that one side is going to win.

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
Speaking of trash videos

WASHINGTON — A video depicting a macabre scene of a fake President Trump shooting, stabbing and brutally assaulting members of the news media and his political opponents was shown at a conference for his supporters at his Miami resort last week, according to footage obtained by The New York Times.

Several of Mr. Trump's top surrogates — including his son Donald Trump Jr., his former spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders and the governor of Florida, Ron DeSantis — were scheduled to speak at the three-day conference, which was held by a pro-Trump group, American Priority, at Trump National Doral Miami. Ms. Sanders and a person close Mr. Trump's son said on Sunday that they did not see the video at the conference.

this appears to be the video. very normal and healthy political movement.

Last edited:

EvilChameleon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

77r4.gif

sphagnum

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In 2016, I didn't know why people preferred Hillary over Bernie.

3 years later, I've gradually understood why. And now I know. I wish I knew sooner.

This is the weirdest reason to support Hillary over Bernie considering she also surrounded herself with bad people and sometimes actively protected them, like Burns Strider.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Look. There is nothing wrong with Ohio. Except the weather. And the people. And living here.
But my property taxes....are actually slightly above the national average I think.
But, hey we have....um. You know......HEY SHUT UP.

RCSI

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How horribly paranoid must you be when a journalist simply pressing you on a question you are completely dodging looks like conspiracy.

When I heard mention that even Pompeo's own sister referred to him as a "Crazy brother" (Not sure what aspect of his personality she herself refers to) I would say very, very paranoid.

Plutone

Oct 25, 2017
See, the important thing to know is the Bernie team only cares about loyalty. Competence, decency, all that jazz? That's secondary. This guy made a video making fun of Dr King's I have a Dream Speech. This is the trash Bernie surrounds himself with.

When someone shows you who they are BELIEVE THEM.

Jesus what the fuuuuuuuuck omfg

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Jesus what the fuuuuuuuuck omfg
At least they fired him...or asked him to quit...or something. But then on the way out he managed to compare Bernie Sanders to Dr. King. So you know....just what a stupid mess.

it's so weird that it's always this ONE SPECIFIC CAMPAIGN that does this. ALWAYS. Like clockwork.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
i think it's really cute that ohio has an anime convention called "ohayocon" :-)
much like the state it was slowly going to shit up until last year

much unlike the state, it promptly turned around into something legitimately good after one of my buddies (who just moved to California) took over most of the management functions

Snowy

Banned
Nov 11, 2017
Bernie continues to keep hiring questionable people...one of the many reasons I do not want him as President.

Making one of the best campaign ads thus far is a pretty good skill to have on your team.

Also historical materialism individual fuckups do not matter blah blah blah

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
Ohayocon was ok when I went in 2006 for the first and only time.

Really not much of a con person. Comes with the territory of being an antisocial introvert.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Ohayocon was ok when I went in 2006 for the first and only time.

Really not much of a con person. Comes with the territory of being an antisocial introvert.
yeah cons are a bit of an acquired taste even for extroverts

(mostly because it's one of those scenes where people need to be reminded to shower regularly and also half the people there are maladjusted otherwise)

...also i started volunteering for Ohayocon so i wouldn't have to pay for shit, and it improved my experience immeasurably between that and not interacting with people for most of my shifts

sorry that i'm adding a lot of random details right now, i'm not used to having this much serotonin in my brain yet

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Making one of the best campaign ads thus far is a pretty good skill to have on your team.
The dude made a video editing Dr. King into saying he had a wet dream. It was full of borderline racist language and imagery. He made a video saying Mexicans could build the water slide we would use to deport them. I don't care if he is Steven fucking Spielberg. He never should have been hired.

But, I know, Bernie did it so we gotta work backwards and justify it.

Ogodei

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Coruscant
For an ambivert like me, cons kick ass. I can melt into the crowd and focus on what I'm passionate about when I want to, or surface and join friends if available, or just make friends with the people next to me for the span of a single event or panel.

Expensive as fuck, though.

Arm Van Dam

self-requested ban
Banned
Mar 30, 2019
Illinois
Haberman/Karni article but it looks like the Gowdy deal has completely fallen apart due to the WH's incompetence and bungled rollout with Mulvaney taking the heat

How White House officials rolled out Gowdy before it was a done deal - and how it was a symptom of internal fights for turf seeping into public view https://nytimes.com/2019/10/13/us/politics/trey-gowdy-trump-impeachment.html?smid=nytcore-ios-share via
@NYTimes

For 24 hours last week, Trey Gowdy, the former South Carolina congressman best known for leading congressional investigations of Hillary Clinton, was the new face of President Trump's outside legal defense and a symbol of a streamlined effort to respond to a fast-moving impeachment inquiry.

A day later, the arrangement fell apart, with lobbying rules prohibiting Mr. Gowdy from starting until January, possibly after the inquiry is over. Now, according to two people familiar with events, Mr. Gowdy is never expected to join the team. And Trump advisers are back to square one, searching for a different lawyer.

How a celebrated announcement quickly ended in disarray offers a rare public glimpse into the internal posturing — and undercutting of colleagues — that has been playing out in the West Wing on a daily basis since Speaker Nancy Pelosi announced a formal impeachment inquiry last month. Even as the White House confronts a deepening threat to Mr. Trump's presidency, it has struggled to decide how to respond, and who should lead that response.

This article is based on interviews with a half-dozen aides and other people close to Mr. Trump.

The official story, circulated by senior administration aides to a handful of reporters, was that Mr. Gowdy, who retired from Congress last year, had agreed to re-enter the fray on Tuesday. Mr. Gowdy's name began circulating on Twitter as the new Trump defender, prompting a number of aides to the president to claim credit privately for the idea of bringing him on board.

But by Wednesday evening, aides were distancing themselves from the bungled personnel maneuver, which was made public before all the usual procedural boxes had been checked. Several pointed fingers at Mick Mulvaney, the acting White House chief of staff, suggesting he had botched the rollout.

For weeks, aides had been pushing Mr. Trump to add another lawyer to the outside team, and Mr. Mulvaney had suggested Mr. Gowdy, a former prosecutor. Mr. Trump needed another voice on television defending him, and Mr. Mulvaney wanted someone who understood how Congress works.

Some White House officials checked whether Emmet T. Flood, the lawyer who oversaw the administration's response to the investigation by the special counsel, Robert S. Mueller III, would get involved. He was not available.

As Mr. Mulvaney pushed for Mr. Gowdy, a former House colleague and fellow South Carolinian, he swatted away questions from several aides about whether Mr. Gowdy would be curtailed in his role by lobbying regulations. Both men assured people that there would be no problem, according to the people briefed on what took place.

Not everyone was on board with the idea. Among those generally concerned about someone working specifically on impeachment outside the White House Counsel's Office was the White House counsel himself, Pat Cipollone, according to three people involved in the discussions. Mr. Mulvaney and Mr. Cipollone have repeatedly been at odds since the impeachment inquiry began, with one disagreement about hiring an additional lawyer taking place in front of Mr. Trump, according to a person familiar with the discussion.

Mr. Trump told the two aides to work it out on their own. A person close to Mr. Cipollone denied that there was concern about bringing aboard another outside lawyer.

Before Mr. Gowdy could be added, however, Mr. Trump needed to meet with him. So the two sat down for lunch at the White House on Tuesday; Jared Kushner, Mr. Trump's son-in-law and senior adviser, joined them for part of the meal.

It went pleasantly enough, people briefed on what took place said, despite Mr. Trump's skepticism of Mr. Gowdy, who has often tried to distance himself from the president. But by late in the day, Mr. Trump signed off on hiring Mr. Gowdy. Still, there were procedural issues to be dealt with before he could formally be announced, and some advisers to the president wanted to wait to make the move public. Those advisers were stunned to see the news emerge from the White House on Tuesday night.

But for Mr. Mulvaney — who has never been fully empowered in the Trump administration, with "acting" always part of his title — it was a rare internal victory. And the announcement that a well-known fighter like Mr. Gowdy was joining the team hinted that the Trump operation was finally organizing around an impeachment strategy.

On Wednesday, Mr. Trump's personal lawyers worked on a letter for Mr. Gowdy to sign to cement their agreement. Around 8 p.m. they released a statement announcing that Mr. Gowdy was formally on board.

"Trey's command of the law is well known, and his service on Capitol Hill will be a great asset as a member of our team," Mr. Trump's personal lawyer Jay Sekulow said in the statement.

But within 30 minutes of that statement's going public, Mr. Gowdy alerted Mr. Trump's lawyers to a problem. His law firm, Nelson Mullins, had concerns that his work would involve lobbying activity. There was a discussion about whether Nelson Mullins could still be used, but a Trump adviser said that decision had been put off until January, when Mr. Gowdy's lobbying ban concludes.

"Trey Gowdy is a terrific guy," Mr. Trump told reporters on Thursday, on his way to a campaign rally in Minneapolis, breaking the news himself. "He can't start for another couple of months because of lobbying rules and regulations. So you'll have to ask about that."

In the meantime, Mr. Trump's team is searching, again, for help.

Without Mr. Gowdy, who lost his paid contributorship at Fox News after the announcement, and with another of Mr. Trump's lawyers, Rudolph W. Giuliani, sidelined from appearing on television for the moment as he is drawn increasingly into the Ukraine matter at the heart of the impeachment inquiry, the president's team remains outgunned in the fight for public opinion.

Even Mr. Trump — who for the most part has been operating as a one-man war room, setting the tone of grievance from the top — appears confused about which of his staff members is in charge.

The president, at one point, asked Mr. Mulvaney who was leading the effort. Mr. Mulvaney, who often invokes Mr. Kushner's name around Mr. Trump to show that he has a good relationship with the family, passed the buck to Mr. Kushner.

Mr. Kushner, who aides said had been spending many hours on impeachment as part of his broader portfolio of defending the president, has told some people he is running the inquiry response and played down that idea with others.

Last edited:

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

I know the turd is gone now, but this is just vile.

Not much coming out of the campaigns so far has made me so plainly disgusted.

He needed to be gone.

Whoever hired him needs to be gone.

Bernie proving, yet again, a complete lack of discernment...needs to be gone.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017

I know the turd is gone now, but this is just vile.

Not much coming out of the campaigns so far has made me so plainly disgusted.

He needed to be gone.

Whoever hired him needs to be gone.

Bernie proving, yet again, a complete lack of discernment...needs to be gone.

Fucking PREACH. Like my husband just said, you have two options with this:

1) The campaign had no idea, which means they only care if people say nice things about Bernie Sanders. For this explanation to be true, you have to assume they don't know how to use fucking YOUTUBE to do the smallest amount of vetting possible. This shows a complete lack of ability to actually be a manager/executive.

or

2) They knew, and they literally didn't give a shit. (Their tweet that he was aware he had to stay true to Bernie's vision seems to prove this to be the case.) In that case, the whole lot of them are rotten to the core. They lack discernment, they lack understanding, they lack fucking basic intellect. They only seemed to care once they got called out on it....like every other time they pull this shit.

And, again, I gotta ask: Why is it ALWAYS this one campaign. Why is it ALWAYS them? Once is an instance, twice is a hobby.

Autodidact

Oct 25, 2017
Fucking PREACH. Like my husband just said, you have two options with this:

1) The campaign had no idea, which means they only care if people say nice things about Bernie Sanders. For this explanation to be true, you have to assume they don't know how to use fucking YOUTUBE to do the smallest amount of vetting possible. This shows a complete lack of ability to actually be a manager/executive.

or

2) They knew, and they literally didn't give a shit. (Their tweet that he was aware he had to stay true to Bernie's vision seems to prove this to be the case.) In that case, the whole lot of them are rotten to the core. They lack discernment, they lack understanding, they lack fucking basic intellect. They only seemed to care once they got called out on it....like every other time they pull this shit.

And, again, I gotta ask: Why is it ALWAYS this one campaign. Why is it ALWAYS them? Once is an instance, twice is a hobby.
Let's look behind door number two.

He kissed the ring.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017

He kissed the ring.
Exactly. So the two options are either they're all incompetent, or the only thing they care about is loyalty. (OR BOTH!) My husband is a saint, because when this shit happens I start going off. He was like, babe, come on, it can't be THAT bad. I showed him the video, and he spent a good 5 minutes ranting about it. He finally admitted I've been right this whole time. (Which, he should have known, as I've never been wrong yet...)

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA

He kissed the ring.
👆👆👆Yup.
Loyalty is the only thing that matters to hiring decisions In the Bernie Sanders camp.
His initial hirings for his 2020 campaign show that.
This hiring shows that.

This campaign has been nothing but pure trash. At least his 2016 campaign had some level of positivity to it, this one has got...I don't even know y'all.

Status
Not open for further replies.