• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
"White guilt" is fingernails on a chalk board to me.

"White guilt" is waiting until I get in the lyft to change to the Hip Hop station. You knew from my profile pic I was black, but you wanted me to see you do it.

And I just sit there smugly. That's right, pander to me.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can we slowly transition to calling it "general awareness of historical factors, institutional corruption, and modern policy that have led to predictable outcomes for minority populations" rather than "wokeness" or "white guilt"?

If someone slowly comes around to realizing that failing to expand Medicaid disproportionately affects minority voters in their state, and that poor medical coverage is a contributing factor to poverty and crime, I don't need them to feel sorry for themselves to vote in change.
If only this were the case :(

The woman who started that Colbert hashtag years back had a really great twitter thread about how awful guilt/shame were as motivators reflecting on various missteps she had made due to it.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
"White guilt" is waiting until I get in the lyft to change to the Hip Hop station. You knew from my profile pic I was black, but you wanted me to see you do it.

And I just sit there smugly. That's right, pander to me.
NecessaryAcclaimedBushsqueaker-max-1mb.gif

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
After not hate watching Fox News for almost two years now, I flick it on to catch Judge Jeannie interviewing Trump. Shes asks the question "Where is Barack Obama in all this? He wouldn't stop talking at the start of your administration, and now you aren't hearing anything from him". Trump responds "I think he is hiding". The rest of the interview is a mess of pretending like Adam Schiffs "joke" is entirely what the Ukraine thing is based on, justifying pulling out of Syria because "nobody else is paying the bills", and claiming he has crippled the Chinese economy while adding trillions in value to the US economy (and saying Xi has congratulated him on it).

So terrible.

All to be upended tomorrow.

"A coward dies a thousand deaths, a hero dies but once": an #ETTD Tale

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Can we slowly transition to calling it "general awareness of historical factors, institutional corruption, and modern policy that have led to predictable outcomes for minority populations" rather than "wokeness" or "white guilt"?

If someone slowly comes around to realizing that failing to expand Medicaid disproportionately affects minority voters in their state, and that poor medical coverage is a contributing factor to poverty and crime, I don't need them to feel sorry for themselves to vote in change.
Two things:

1) Too long. Terms like "wokeness" and "white guilt" take root in the first place to take complex social phenomena and condense them into terms that could be fit into conversation and were honest.

2) This is similar to the "why call it white privilege? That just makes white people angry," argument, in that ultimately, it has never really mattered what we call these things, when we're describing actual compulsions. "Woke" white people aren't going around doing over-the-top performative acts of contrition and self-flagellation because we called it "white guilt." The term was born to describe this behavior that already existed.

Vena

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Bevin has problems on the state level that I don't think a lot here quite realize. He is doing everything to mobilize the rural folk because he has such problems, and whether or not it pays off is left to be seen but his 'throw everything at it' strategy right now does not suggest to me someone who feels confident in winning or even someone above water in internal polling.

Even if he does end up winning.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
Man I missed when woke referred to the guy in the barber shop that sold bootleg dvds and talked about how Beyonce was part of the illumanti. Or the cousin that stopped eating pork because the man was using it to poison the black race. Now folks use woke like they are getting paid to say it

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Man I missed when woke referred to the guy in the barber shop that sold bootleg dvds and talked about how Beyonce was part of the illumanti. Or the cousin that stopped eating pork because the man was using it to poison the black race. Now folks use woke like they are getting paid to say it

I JUST had this conversation!

'I feel like just 4 years ago "woke" was in reference to the brothas in suits selling bean pies on Sunday. Or the guy who had no less than 5 incense burning in his crib at one time, but you put up with it anyway because you heard from your friend that the brotha was good at...certain things.

I don't know when it became what it means today.

Oct 25, 2017
The 50 person debate will be a good test of Warren's first time in the lion's den as a front runner. Pete, Biden, and Tulsi will all be sniping.

GrapeApes

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
That's a terrible poll for him. Besides the fact it's a swing of 13%, 43% of Democrats believe he is too old. Democrats.
With the top tier of candidates at least 70 years of age, the poll asked this month, as it did last month, whether candidate age was a concern for voters. Once again most say it is not. But more voters now say Sanders, who is 78 years of age, is too old. We followed up and asked why. Among those who feel Sanders is too old, more than eight in 10 worry his age would make it difficult for him to do the work required of the presidency. By comparison, among those who feel Biden is too old, more feel concern that he would be "out of touch."

This polling is hella interestng. Mandatory buybacks polling at 69% among Iowa Dems. Bernie at too old with 50% in Iowa.

Kusagari

Oct 25, 2017
Wow at the support among early state Dems for some of the "more extreme" policies in this poll.

76-24 for mandatory buyback
66-34 for Yang's $1000 a month UBI

Oct 25, 2017
UBI will probably poll pretty well overall by the time the primary's over. Probably already has amazing numbers with the youths.

RiPPn

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix
Hunter Biden resigning looks real bad. And then not using the resignation to throw it back in Trump's face about his nepotism is just stupid.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
KDoUDRW.png

Surprisingly didn't go up by more.
Eh, he went from +24 to +11. And that's just people who didn't feel uncomfortable saying it. I think it has damaged his campaign, but I think his campaign was treading water anyway. If you take a look at the sub samples, it's actually worse. 50% of Democratic voters in Iowa think Bernie is too old. In NH, it's 43% think he's too old. He does best in SC, at only 40% thinking he's too old. (Probably because the base is older in SC).

Couple other things that stood out to me. In every single "early state" Warren's plans are seen as far more realistic than Bernies...even when the plans are pretty much the same. And I think that 100% comes down to how she talks about things. Bernie does his man screaming at the clouds. Warren tells a story. She weaves a narrative like a teacher would. She's a far better messenger for progressive ideas. Bernie's lead with young voters is only 2 in this poll. If that holds out, Warren is in GREAT shape here. And we see the same trend again--among voters over 65, Bernie is running 5th. Warren, though, has really, really improved with each age group. Her support is very wide. Also, I will say, the age demos in this poll are WEIRD. It's waaaaay too young. Even weighted, they have equal numbers of 18-29 and over 65. That's....never going to happen.

And if Warren is sitting at essentially half of the delegates after Super Tuesday. She will be the nominee. Once a candidate gets a lead of about 100 delegates, it's pretty much done. A lead of 143 after Super Tuesday and she's the nominee.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Ya, uh, Kamala has nothing to do with the DNC not wanting to cut people out. It 100% has to do with appeasing the Bernie folk from 2016 who kept screaming RIGGED that there weren't 19 million debates. And now that we've had 19 million debates we've pretty much proven that...they don't change a whole lot. We were waaaay too worried about appeasing folks who would never be happy no matter what happened. Nothing of value is learned with 10 people on stage, 8 of whom have zero chance of being president.

Edit: Oh, I know what I wanted to mention. Take a look at the polls' information on issues that are most important. I obviously support impeachment. However, a lot of folks were claiming that if we don't do impeachment we're really going to harm ourselves with the base in 2020. The polling doesn't reflect that, btw. It's nowhere near the top issue for folks. So, while I think it's good for the country and good for us, I'm glad to see I wasn't totally wrong in the fact that impeachment was SUPER important for incredibly online folks, but less so for the bulk of primary voters.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
Ya, uh, Kamala has nothing to do with the DNC not wanting to cut people out. It 100% has to do with appeasing the Bernie folk from 2016 who kept screaming RIGGED that there weren't 19 million debates. And now that we've had 19 million debates we've pretty much proven that...they don't change a whole lot. We were waaaay too worried about appeasing folks who would never be happy no matter what happened. Nothing of value is learned with 10 people on stage, 8 of whom have zero chance of being president.
Bingo.

Honestly, that Kamala came up here as a source of blame at all is...

Tamanon

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that Kamala foreseeing her top 5 place in the polls and getting the establishment to allow the top 12 for some surely nefarious reason.

After all, can you even really trust a woman? So scheming!

GoldenEye 007

Roll Tide, Y'all!
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Yeah I mean it's pretty obvious these debate setups were a response to the "rigged" accusations of 2016. DNC went too far in keeping things open to appease some people who will never compromise or accept the fact they just got beat. These debates should be maxed out at like 5 people now. Or if you're going to have close to 10, the rest should be at a kids table.

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Welp

President Trump has ordered a withdrawal of U.S. forces from northern Syria in the face of a Turkish military offensive targeting Kurdish fighters in the region, Defense Secretary Mark T. Esper said Sunday, two days after he promised that the United States was not "abandoning" its partners in the campaign against the Islamic State.

Trump ordered a withdrawal of the about 1,000 U.S. troops left in northern Syria late Saturday. The president made the decision after indications that Turkey intends to expand its attack "farther south than originally planned and to the west," Esper said, speaking on CBS News's "Face the Nation."

The defense secretary also cited signs that the Syrian Democratic Forces, the Kurdish-led and U.S.-backed alliance that helped defeat the Islamic State, is "looking to cut a deal" with the Syrian regime and the Russian government to carry out a counterattack to the north.

"We have American forces likely caught between two opposing advancing armies and it's a very untenable situation," Esper said. "So I spoke with the president last night after discussions with the rest of the national security team, and he directed that we begin a deliberate withdrawal of forces from northern Syria."

Status
Not open for further replies.