• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

spx54

Mar 21, 2019
I think mueller was mostly a figurehead and not the super cop scheming behind the scenes most people thought he was

it was pretty clear by the size of the Special Counsel's office that he was delegating most of his authority

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I don't care who Warren's VP pick is as long as they change their last name to "Peace"

Warren could use an attack dog

maxresdefault.jpg

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
You missed something very, very important about how the DOJ procedures interacted here and why Mueller did that. Had Mueller come to a hard conclusion about Trump declaring they believed him guilty, Barr could have overruled him. Not coming to an active conclusion on anything was a deliberate choice here because of that. His stated rationale had the "accidental" side effect of preventing Barr from just overriding his opinion, which is why Barr had to put out the bullshit summary letter instead of an actual formal override.
But see he should have let Barr overrule him. Let it play in public opinion and see how Barr is being a garbage goon. Everyone trusted Mueller.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't care who Warren's VP pick is as long as they change their last name to "Peace"

If she picked Gillum, we'd have a "Warren G" ticket. G-Funk Era everyday.

Btw, I'm warming up to a Warren/Harris ticket. I say we might as well go all in and have women full-tilt fix the f*ck up we've gotten ourselves in the last 3 years. As the General gets closer, I'd like to see how a Warren/Harris ticket polls with the public to see if it's really as poisonous with male-america as people are assuming.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
You missed something very, very important about how the DOJ procedures interacted here and why Mueller did that. Had Mueller come to a hard conclusion about Trump declaring they believed him guilty, Barr could have overruled him. Not coming to an active conclusion on anything was a deliberate choice here because of that. His stated rationale had the "accidental" side effect of preventing Barr from just overriding his opinion, which is why Barr had to put out the bullshit summary letter instead of an actual formal override.

Here's the thing though: if we give Mueller the benefit of the doubt like this, it doesn't change the fact that his decision was a tactical draw and strategic defeat. Perhaps he was trying to out maneuver Barr, but he still lost. Perhaps he was right to change strategies, but the one he chose led to a public relations defeat.

The frustrating thing was that Mueller was in a unique position where he had the clout to release his findings in any way he wanted. If he had wanted he could have gone to the mattresses to release the report he wanted. This would have required that he had strong convictions, and I do think it's reasonable to question if he did.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm aware, I just don't care about these political games being played at the highest level that make a mockery of the law in the process.

Meaning I care less about Mueller's overall decision to not indict Trump (from the beginning I knew that wasn't an option) than I do about the absolute bullshit justifications used not to indict.
We're talking a 2 year investigation that concerned not only Trump but a whole host of assholes including everybody from Erik Prince to Don Jr. And justice was not mete out proportionally to the severity of literal treason found by the characters involved.
And again, his plea deals handed out were egregiously horrific. I'm not surprised he got bit in the ass on at least 2 of them (Manafort and Flynn) and has had to rescind them.

So yeah, I have significant problems with the process itself from the jump, and less so his decision to not indict Trump. Honestly, Trump is a speed bump to me. I will always be more concerned about the fact that half of our government (GOP) is criminally complicit in the destruction of rule and law.
Impeachment is a political game.

Yes it's a mockery of the law, because Trump/Barr are in a position of power where there's not a ton of recourse that's not judicial reaction. You have to make decisions taking that into account when deciding what to do here. This is a "don't player hate" thing to me because Mueller was trying to maximize what he could do without

I don't understand the issue with Manafort, as by all accounts they weren't actually interested in a deal, were surprised to flip him, and he shot himself in the face when he kept providing them bad info. They treated this like a RICO case because it was one, and in those you have to flip people to get to the people above them. And even then they just couldn't stop committing crimes. Flynn still has not been sentenced yet because the cases he's involved with are ongoing, and there are signs the judge wants to fuck him up despite the deal. The plea has not been rescinded in his case.

Surfinn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
USA
This is strikingly reminiscent of Michael Cohen; he was with him until he wasn't.

"You'll have to ask X" is the kiss of death

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Here's the thing though: if we give Mueller the benefit of the doubt like this, it doesn't change the fact that his decision was a tactical draw and strategic defeat. Perhaps he was trying to out maneuver Barr, but he still lost. Perhaps he was right to change strategies, but the one he chose led to a public relations defeat.

The frustrating thing was that Mueller was in a unique position where he had the clout to release his findings in any way he wanted. If he had wanted he could have gone to the mattresses to release the report he wanted. This would have required that he had strong convictions, and I do think it's reasonable to question if he did.
The problem is that Mueller needs to keep his nonpartisan credentials while Trump & co had been working to actively discredit him for years at that point. A problem in politics is that people see truth telling against political opponents as just "lies", which is why the GOP works to frame people telling the truth as hardcore partisans.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Warren winning now is almost inevitable because Biden and Bernie are basically handicapped to do anything about slowing her momentum

They've tried to stick to themselves and run their own campaigns but it's not really working. In this scenario I think normally the others would go negative but neither are willing (or maybe able) to do that either. I'm sure Bernie was probably advised he should as it seems where his aides want him to go but I think he just likes her too much to do that

It will take a self implosion or a also ran outside pot shot that took Kamala down at this point

Kyo

Oct 25, 2017
Any Louisiana-goers have opinions about the 4 constitutional amendments up for vote today? I'm struggling with whether I think the New Orleans one is a good thing or not, could use some takes besides the PAR site's breakdown of it

Oct 26, 2017
Mueller is so 2018

I agree that on the whole Mueller's team conducted a solid investigation but there were still some strategic errors. Those strategic errors can be excused when you think about the enormous pressure that Trump and his allies were putting on DoJ, the FBI, and Special Council office itself. Most of the strategic errors were due to being overly cautious and not having the investigation immediately blown-up with aggressive actions like indicting Don Jr.

That said, what frustrates me the most is everything that happened after the Mueller Report was released. After 2 years of hard work and no leaks, he just let Barr (and therefore Trump) completely mislead the public about the contents of the report and irreversibly shape public opinion. And because Mueller was so skittish about being perceived as being "partisan" or on a "witch hunt", he couldn't just call a Spade a Spade. He and his office did not strongly or clearly push back on what Barr was doing, instead their displeasure was wrapped in obtuse legal language and letters. Also if Mueller was too past his prime to deliver clear strong public statements, then they should have just had a "deputy" speak with Mueller standing next to him. Mueller with all respect was a PR disaster and they should have anticipated that.

And finally, even with Mueller's poor PR performance, he still gift wrapped a roadmap for obstruction of justice to Democrats. Yet they were just as skittish as Mueller and "blinked" at every key flashpoint to escalate things to the next level.They basically invalidated the report by saying "we still need to gather more information", which implicitly means to the public that the Mueller Report must not have enough information.

As others pointed out, Pelosi and others simply got lucky that Trump still decided to drop a tactical nuke on himself and then gave a transcript of said explosion, which no one could ignore. It looks like it may work out in the end but it's just a shame there's literally no one who will fight for the rule of law unless they have a smoking gun neatly on their plate with maximum political cover. The Mueller Report even with the strategic errors around it, should have been enough. The fact that it wasn't, scares me.

patientzero

Oct 25, 2017
Crime buster? No, I said, crime, buster!

Fun exercise - use Trump's reasoning here to describe other ne'er-do-wells -

OJ Simpson - "So now they're after legendary football player and fifth-billed Naked Gun star..."

Phil Spector - "So now they're after inventor of the Wall of Sound...."

Robert Blake - "So now they're after pistol-packing legendary Beretta...."

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
I think with Mueller we got Commissioner Gordon when we really needed Batman.

We needed someone who could navigate the media. And if his assumption was that Barr could quash anything, then it was a reprehensible negligence of DUTY to not get the facts in front of the public through selective leaks. Good for him that he's a Boy Scout. His honor survives. We'll have to see about the United States.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
That town call clip for Warren, in hindsight, is going to be seen has -the- moment she make herself worthy of larger attention than just the D base. It's just soooooooo good, and it has foundations in her religious upbringing which makes it effectively impossible for, say, evangelicals to attack (not that it would stop them, but still).
I feel like the movement candidate I wanted beto to be is becoming warren.
Same. Thought this with Harris for awhile, too. But yeah Warren has dramatically stood out for this role. I'm 100% behind her at this point.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina
Mueller is so 2018

I agree that on the whole Mueller's team conducted a solid investigation but there were still some strategic errors. Those strategic errors can be excused when you think about the enormous pressure that Trump and his allies were putting on DoJ, the FBI, and Special Council office itself. Most of the strategic errors were due to being overly cautious and not having the investigation immediately blown-up with aggressive actions like indicting Don Jr.

That said, what frustrates me the most is everything that happened after the Mueller Report was released. After 2 years of hard work and no leaks, he just let Barr (and therefore Trump) completely mislead the public about the contents of the report and irreversibly shape public opinion. And because Mueller was so skittish about being perceived as being "partisan" or on a "witch hunt", he couldn't just call a Spade a Spade. He and his office did not strongly or clearly push back on what Barr was doing, instead their displeasure was wrapped in obtuse legal language and letters. Also if Mueller was too past his prime to deliver clear strong public statements, then they should have just had a "deputy" speak with Mueller standing next to him. Mueller with all respect was a PR disaster and they should have anticipated that.

And finally, even with Mueller's poor PR performance, he still gift wrapped a roadmap for obstruction of justice to Democrats. Yet they were just as skittish as Mueller and "blinked" at every key flashpoint to escalate things to the next level.They basically invalidated the report by saying "we still need to gather more information", which implicitly means to the public that the Mueller Report must not have enough information.

As others pointed out, Pelosi and others simply got lucky that Trump still decided to drop a tactical nuke on himself and then gave a transcript of said explosion, which no one could ignore. It looks like it may work out in the end but it's just a shame there's literally no one who will fight for the rule of law unless they have a smoking gun neatly on their plate with maximum political cover. The Mueller Report even with the strategic errors around it, should have been enough. The fact that it wasn't, scares me.

That's what happens when you tangle with mobsters and chekists who drive wedges into cultural fractures with FUD and DARVO. Even when they're unconvincing so many just dont want to deal with people like that. Trying to be truly bipartisan and properly secretive about it makes an even more difficult to disperse the "fuzz" being put in peoples' minds.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
I think Mueller deserves some criticism, but probably the biggest hindrance in the end was the special counsel regulations themselves. The AG was given the responsibility of first public disclosure of the findings, not the Special Counsel, and this let Barr shape the narrative. The rules didn't adequately account for a fully corrupt AG. Had Mueller been an Independent Counsel like Starr this issue (and others) could have been avoided.

Imagine if the first public disclosure of findings was Mueller's press conference. It's easier to see that triggering impeachment if it was the first thing people heard, but Barr blunted the sword very effectively.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
The goalpost for proving this president is unfit for office shouldn't be a slam dunk report on explicit crimes. What's going to happen when shitty policy is the only fuel for opposition?

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017

Turkey's conflict in Syria took a major turn today. First alleged atrocities by Turkish-backed Arab militias, executing Kurds. US military officials tell me it's true, and they are DEEPLY concerned it opens the door to BOTH ethnic cleansing of Kurds and return of ISIS/Al-Qaeda

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017

The whole post is great, but this paragraph especially is why claims of Pelosi playing 3D chess and knowing that this is how things were always going to go down are particularly eye-rolling.

At this point, the Ukraine scandal is, in my mind, the most blatant act of a God saying "HERE! HERE! For fuck's sake HERE!" that I have seen in my adult life.

Status
Not open for further replies.