• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

less

Oct 25, 2017
Their differences are pretty much fine tuning on policy.

And that's all it takes for some people to be bitter about Warren doing better. It's like a kid who wants to a particular flavor of ice cream but is denied that and given something else. Even if that flavor is very similar the kid will sulk and whine.

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
I don't really care about what the guy who started Bernie or bust thinks. We are suffering through the sort of shit he *wanted* to happen if Bernie lost the primaries, so he can fuck off back to wherever he's been.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
This shows you everything you need to know about Bill Barr. He's doing everything he wants for Trump because he genuinely believes that good old Christian living is under assault from the left and entertainment, so he'll do anything to stop it, legal or not:

plagiarize

Eating crackers
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
This shows you everything you need to know about Bill Barr. He's doing everything he wants for Trump because he genuinely believes that good old Christian living is under assault from the left and entertainment, so he'll do anything to stop it, legal or not:

Dear Mr Barr.

You are the attorney General of a secularist nation. Fucking act like it.

Last edited:

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017

Mueller dropped the ball so hard by deferring to AG Barr in his report. He really thought Barr was an independent voice and would do the right thing.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone else listened to the Preet Bharara's podcast this week? He has George Conway on to discuss Trump's narcissism. I listened to it to-and-from work today and found it pretty engaging. George is very well-spoken and has some good points. Ultimately though, he lost me near the end because he claimed he didn't think any of the democratic candidates for Presidency would return us to normalcy, which is fucking bonkers. Or at least he claims he hasn't given it much though, which is also bullshit considering how much thinking the man clearly does.

And just so anyone curious is aware, George Conway doesn't do many interviews, and I had hoped Preet would address the elephant in the room-- that being that George is married to Kelly Ann Conway, one of Trump's main enablers and most virulent defenders. In the end, I think George must have negotiated some pre-podcast terms to his benefit. Preet brings up discussing the relationship between the three and it looked like we'd get a peek behind that curtain, but George declines to discuss it. They mostly focus on his recent op ed and Trump's personality disorder(s).

Here's the link if anyone cares:
I liked this too. It's an interesting lens to view this presidency through because a lot of things make sense. He's literally not able to function in the ways you would want a president to.

And yeah, I took the "We're not going there" comment as they weren't going to talk about Kelly Ann.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Mueller dropped the ball so hard by deferring to AG Barr in his report. He really thought Barr was an independent voice and would do the right thing.
Or maybe Mueller was just as much of a fucking coward as the rest of these "very concerned" Republicans/Republican military and intelligence people, and he just didn't want to rock the boat, preferring to wipe his hands of the situation and peace out to live a life of comfort and privilege. Along with Mattis, McMaster, and the other very manly, very concerned, embarrassed Republican fucks.

I thinks it's well past time we admit the deification of Mueller was a mistake and the dude kinda fucking sucks.

Tamanon

Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe everything in this Ukraine thing ties back to Manafort still. It's crazy how tangled the whole thing is.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
I thinks it's well past time we admit the deification of Mueller was a mistake and the dude kinda fucking sucks.

I wouldn't go that far. Mueller and his team worked for 2 years and gave us a report that absolutely would have began impeachment proceedings under a bolder Congress. It wasn't in his purview to craft the narrative and sell it to the public. It was his job to gather the facts within the scope he was given.

...that said, I do think he was too cautious when it came to weighing in on whether the President should be indicted. When all the facts in your own report scream "Yes!" ...then just say yes.

Oct 26, 2017
South Carolina

He's a hatchet man, a fixer, and a mob lawyer by this point. Nothing more. Maybe it was to his position's advantage to do that or he was handed that one. Doesn't matter. At least he's showing off he's losing control though.

I liked this too. It's an interesting lens to view this presidency through because a lot of things make sense. He's literally not able to function in the ways you would want a president to.

And yeah, I took the "We're not going there" comment as they weren't going to talk about Kelly Ann.

No one does. It's annoying how Conway and Scarramucci (who is in photos with the two arrested wise guy buddies of Rudy and others they hang with in Ukraine) gets this sort of clout vs any two long-time NTs despite largely saying the same things on the same stances. I dont like anywhere my mind goes to on why.

As for his point: you don't go back to "normal". Black Swan done flew, yo. We're trying to land in a Good New Normal rather than a Bad one.

Or maybe Mueller was just as much of a fucking coward as the rest of these "very concerned" Republicans/Republican military and intelligence people, and he just didn't want to rock the boat, preferring to wipe his hands of the situation and peace out to live a life of comfort and privilege. Along with Mattis, McMaster, and the other very manly, very concerned, embarrassed Republican fucks.

Smearing Mueller so people wouldn't understand their findings is a goal of the enemy over the last 2 years+.

Or putting people in baskets of "angel" or "devil" very rarely works out well.

Just saying.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't go that far. Mueller and his team worked for 2 years and gave us a report that absolutely would have began impeachment proceedings under a bolder Congress. It wasn't in his purview to craft the narrative and sell it to the public. It was his job to gather the facts within the scope he was given.

...that said, I do think he was too cautious when it came to weighing in on whether the President should be indicted. When all the facts in your own report scream "Yes!" ...then just say yes.
Yeah, I may be too harsh on him. I don't think he's evil or anything.

But I do think his mindset as a result of being in those Republican military/ intelligence circles, and his general privilege, contributed greatly to his craven decision making and handling of this whole affair. He was completely unfit for the moment, and rather than rise to the occasion, he wiped his hands of everything once he'd done the bare minimum his outdated notions of "duty" required.

I'm just sick and tired of these very concerned, privileged assholes who have the power and authority to make history and hold people accountable, choosing instead to not rock the boat, but just talk about how very concerned they are among their private, privileged circles.

Last edited:

RumbleHumble

Oct 27, 2017

Here I thought he was an efficient, morally bankrupt tool of his masters. Go figure.

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Yeah, I may be too harsh on him. I don't think he's evil or anything.

But I do think his mindset as a result of being in those Republican military/ intelligence circles, and his general privilege, contributed greatly to his craven decision making and handling of this whole affair. He was completely unfit for the moment, and rather than rise to the occasion, he wiped his hands of everything once he'd done the bare minimum his outdated notions of "duty" required.

I'm just sick and tired of these very concerned, privileged assholes who have the power and authority to make history and hold people accountable, choosing instead to not rock the boat, but just talk about how very concerned they are among their private, privileged circles.

I still give Mueller the benefit of a doubt, but I do agree that tough questions need to be asked. A point that I haven't seen raised elsewhere is about his age and coming out of retirement. Mueller had/has a reputation for a sharp intellect and fierce investigations, but the man we saw looked frail and small. He was silent for 2 years, and then during his only public appearances he looked like a deer in the headlights and tripped over himself to say nothing. I understand that public speaking is hard, I get very nervous myself, but it's pretty critical to his role. When you see earlier appearances to Congress from Mueller he's good. This leads me to believe that age and rust caught up with him- and it does raise some concerns in me that the old man's abilities since he had retired had atrophied more than anyone knew. How that may have affected the investigation we'll never know.

These questions and more could be answered by the team Mueller built- but they'll never talk.

PantherLotus

Oct 27, 2017
Mueller made tactical errors if you assume his goal was justice.

Dems made communication errors because they are cowards who couldn't control a narrative if they tried. They had a path to impeachment laid out with all the pieces in place. Removal isn't/ wasn't the point.

If this republic is saved it will be because their cowardice was tactically lucky and the neocons remember they love blood money more than they love temporary GOP control.

KingK

Oct 27, 2017
Mueller made tactical errors if you assume his goal was justice.

Dems made communication errors because they are cowards who couldn't control a narrative if they tried. They had a path to impeachment laid out with all the pieces in place. Removal isn't/ wasn't the point.

If this republic is saved it will be because their cowardice was tactically lucky and the neocons remember they love blood money more than they love temporary GOP control.
Yeah, I think I can agree with this assessment.

Deleted member 8257

Oct 26, 2017
I still give Mueller the benefit of a doubt, but I do agree that tough questions need to be asked. A point that I haven't seen raised elsewhere is about his age and coming out of retirement. Mueller had/has a reputation for a sharp intellect and fierce investigations, but the man we saw looked frail and small. He was silent for 2 years, and then during his only public appearances he looked like a deer in the headlights and tripped over himself to say nothing. I understand that public speaking is hard, I get very nervous myself, but it's pretty critical to his role. When you see earlier appearances to Congress from Mueller he's good. This leads me to believe that age and rust caught up with him- and it does raise some concerns in me that the old man's abilities since he had retired had atrophied more than anyone knew. How that may have affected the investigation we'll never know.

These questions and more could be answered by the team Mueller built- but they'll never talk.
His public appearance was beyond horrendous. He would not even read parts of his OWN report because he was afraid of being seen as partial, and instead made the Democrats read it themselves. He had no qualms about clear stooges of Trump like Jim Jordan who were running interference for Russia.

However the biggest issue for me was how cowardly he presented his findings deferring constantly, and continuously to Trump and his cronies as inept or ignorant. I was reading that his team generated 1b documents. Among which were Don Jr's clear and open conspiracy with Russians. STILL would not call it for what it is. How much more do you fucking need man? Just bend over backwards into a pretzel to give these crooks and out at every turn over and over again. You had hundreds of federal prosecutors signing a letter saying your non-report report was enough to find the criminal conspiracy. Instead, defer it again to AG Barr to make the call. Take the fucking shot.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Last edited:

VectorPrime

Banned
Apr 4, 2018
If the Dems start throwing weight behind impeaching anyone else it's going to seriously muddle the overall message in the eyes of the public which has a one track mind.

lenovox1

Oct 26, 2017
Why are we not impeaching Barr?

They seemingly don't want it to look like a coordinated attack on Republicans and their officials. (And if Trump is out, Barr likely resigns that very second.)

I do hope they explore it after the Presidential impeachment, because I would think it has a higher opportunity to actually lead to removal.

Linkura

Oct 25, 2017
His public appearance was beyond horrendous.
8257.jpg

Sorry, I had to.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

The way he put up the report was 100% to dodge Barr. It was pretty obvious he was doing some rules lawyering to avoid aspects like not coming to any specific conclusions Barr could overrule. He knew bullshit was coming.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
His public appearance was beyond horrendous. He would not even read parts of his OWN report because he was afraid of being seen as partial, and instead made the Democrats read it themselves. He had no qualms about clear stooges of Trump like Jim Jordan who were running interference for Russia.

However the biggest issue for me was how cowardly he presented his findings deferring constantly, and continuously to Trump and his cronies as inept or ignorant. I was reading that his team generated 1b documents. Among which were Don Jr's clear and open conspiracy with Russians. STILL would not call it for what it is. How much more do you fucking need man? Just bend over backwards into a pretzel to give these crooks and out at every turn over and over again. You had hundreds of federal prosecutors signing a letter saying your non-report report was enough to find the criminal conspiracy. Instead, defer it again to AG Barr to make the call. Take the fucking shot.

Yeah, a lot of what I call "missteps" in his report.

INCONCEIVABLE: Mueller wrote: "'coordination' does not have a settled definition in federal criminal law" and then proceeded to make up a definition contrary to longstanding federal campaign finance law by requiring an "agreement" between the Trump campaign and Russians.

He went above and beyond the call of duty here to justify following procedure and not to indict the president nor Jr, Erik Prince, and a whole host of shady assholes. Then again, he blatantly stated that he wasn't looking to condemn the president from the start, only to see if he could prove Trump did no wrong. And he was pretty definitive in stating that exoneration was not possible.

But to me that's basically the bare minimum.

What I also don't like about Mueller's investigation was the very favorable plea deals he was giving out. One such plea, Michael Flynn, basically caused a judge to rebuke Mueller and his team to their faces for how outlandish the whole thing was. For me, that saga right there was the tipping point for me in holding my expectations in check.

Also why I was so adamant Congress can't let the Mueller investigation guide their actions while they stayed mostly in the shadows. I'm actually glad his investigation ended when it did. We would still be wasting time waiting for nothing. And again, Mueller himself was aware of that so I give him points for his report literally being a giant impeachment referral.

Nov 20, 2017

Now that people know who forma's comms person is, do you think Brie Brie Joy will sic a Twitter mob on her? It was pretty bad when Ian Sams had to ward off the early attacks from the ~Copmala~ crowd.

Mcfrank

Oct 28, 2017
Getting two NATO allies to fight is some amazing puppet work by Putin. NATO is gonna come apart at the seams.

Kirblar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
He went above and beyond the call of duty here to justify following procedure and not to indict the president nor Jr, Erik Prince, and a whole host of shady assholes. Then again, he blatantly stated that he wasn't looking to condemn the president from the start, only to see if he could prove Trump did no wrong. And he was pretty definitive in stating that exoneration was not possible.

But to me that's basically the bare minimum.
You missed something very, very important about how the DOJ procedures interacted here and why Mueller did that. Had Mueller come to a hard conclusion about Trump declaring they believed him guilty, Barr could have overruled him. Not coming to an active conclusion on anything was a deliberate choice here because of that. His stated rationale had the "accidental" side effect of preventing Barr from just overriding his opinion, which is why Barr had to put out the bullshit summary letter instead of an actual formal override.

gaugebozo

Oct 25, 2017
He's a hatchet man, a fixer, and a mob lawyer by this point. Nothing more. Maybe it was to his position's advantage to do that or he was handed that one. Doesn't matter. At least he's showing off he's losing control though.

No one does. It's annoying how Conway and Scarramucci (who is in photos with the two arrested wise guy buddies of Rudy and others they hang with in Ukraine) gets this sort of clout vs any two long-time NTs despite largely saying the same things on the same stances. I dont like anywhere my mind goes to on why.

As for his point: you don't go back to "normal". Black Swan done flew, yo. We're trying to land in a Good New Normal rather than a Bad one.

Smearing Mueller so people wouldn't understand their findings is a goal of the enemy over the last 2 years+.

Or putting people in baskets of "angel" or "devil" very rarely works out well.

Just saying.
Conway is an interesting guest in this case as it's mostly a legal/politics podcast and they talk about the implications of his mental state for the country. For example, he discussed how there were rumblings that Clinton wanted to claim presidential immunity from lawsuits (relevent to our times!), but Conway as a lawyer wrote his first Op-Ed examining why that's wrong. Presidential immunity only extends to the "outer rim of presidential duties." The thing he was trying to claim immunity from? The Paula Jones sexual harassment suit, which lead to him possibly lying under oath, which was a major focus of impeachment. Clearly the Paula Jones case had nothing to do with presidential duties, just like Trump's taxes.

Then there's a great discussion about how even if you think Clinton lied under oath, legally you would want to treat crimes differently for impeachment purposes. Clinton doing a one off thing might not be an impeachable offense, whereas if Trump lied on the stand it's not one off, it's who he is. NT's would have none of this context.

I stay the fuck away from the mooch though.

Chaos Legion

The Wise Ones
Oct 30, 2017
Trump is a bully, if someone punches him in the face he slinks off until he thinks there is blood in the water and he can try again.

He knows his plan to drop this on Biden got blown up before it even got on the launch pad, but he needs to feel--and his cultists, also--that they are powerful and that they can destroy enemies.

If they can claim that Biden's slide in the polls against Warren is actually their master plan to hobble the 'only candidate that could win', and instead force Dems to elect a Socialist professor, they get to imagine themselves having control, when what they most fear is that the country has turned on their God-King and that they will have no shield against what's coming.

Fascism is intrinsically bound with myth-making. It also requires both being seen as powerful, and as rightfully aggrieved by large, shadowy figures, depending on the situation
This is really good insight, thanks!
The day we can move past Trump and his ilk will be a great day.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Clearly the Paula Jones case had nothing to do with presidential duties, just like Trump's taxes.
Err, what? Trump's taxes will provide evidence of his conflict of interests, which overlap with foreign policy in multiple countries, as well as providing supporting evidence for pay-to-play corruption. Even Trump admitted to this conflict of interest with Turkey back in 2016:

"I have a little conflict of interest 'cause I have a major, major building in Istanbul," Trump told Bannon during a Breitbart radio show. "It's a tremendously successful job. It's called Trump Towers—two towers, instead of one, not the usual one, it's two."

OmniOne

Oct 25, 2017
Kristen Orthman is a Harry Reid alum. Don't forget the "Establishment" epithet when you talk about her.

dabig2

Oct 29, 2017
You missed something very, very important about how the DOJ procedures interacted here and why Mueller did that. Had Mueller come to a hard conclusion about Trump declaring they believed him guilty, Barr could have overruled him. Not coming to an active conclusion on anything was a deliberate choice here because of that. His stated rationale had the "accidental" side effect of preventing Barr from just overriding his opinion, which is why Barr had to put out the bullshit summary letter instead of an actual formal override.

I'm aware, I just don't care about these political games being played at the highest level that make a mockery of the law in the process.

Meaning I care less about Mueller's overall decision to not indict Trump (from the beginning I knew that wasn't an option) than I do about the absolute bullshit justifications used not to indict.
We're talking a 2 year investigation that concerned not only Trump but a whole host of assholes including everybody from Erik Prince to Don Jr. And justice was not mete out proportionally to the severity of literal treason found by the characters involved.
And again, his plea deals handed out were egregiously horrific. I'm not surprised he got bit in the ass on at least 2 of them (Manafort and Flynn) and has had to rescind them.

So yeah, I have significant problems with the process itself from the jump, and less so his decision to not indict Trump. Honestly, Trump is a speed bump to me. I will always be more concerned about the fact that half of our government (GOP) is criminally complicit in the destruction of rule and law.

Status
Not open for further replies.