• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I just saw the clip and for me it felt like the crowd responded well to Harris but wasn't having it with Cuomo's joke. Definitely feel like Cuomo is the one who should get more shit for it.

Royalan

I can say DEI; you can't.
Oct 24, 2017
Here's my thing. I'm not a gay who particularly cares about pronouns. In that sense, that moment from Harris wasn't for me.

But there are a lot of queer people across the gender spectrum that do care. That not only care, but actually want a reality where open pronoun identification becomes normalized. We see those arguments play out all the time.

I have problems with Cuomo's joke there, but giving Kamala shit for being one of only 3 candidates in this race to embrace pronoun identification is a bit bitcheatingcrackers.jpg to me.

So, I wanna be clear...I don't hate Harris at all. I spent a lot of time going back and forth between Harris/Warren. I landed on Warren, but I don't think ill of Harris most of the time. My son is one of those younger gays who is into pronouns. He's just a kid, of course, but he gave a gay gasp when she did it...and not in a good way. The way she presented it was so flippant that it DID really piss me off (who also is an old school gay who doesn't really give much thought to pronouns...especially being a CIS-gender male.) It just really, really rubbed me the wrong way. Cuomo's joke was even more gross, I agree. Harris often tries too hard for a moment, and the reason she doesn't always get them is because of that. She's trying too hard.

And, believe me, I would give my right tooth for Harris to be the alternative to Warren as opposed to Biden...cause then I'd only have a preference not an actual fear that my girl won't win it.

Of course, everyone is entitled to how they feel.

But for me, it's going to take a lot (a LOT), to believe that the woman who was a part of the fight and multiple significant victories for LGBTQ+ people, who was ignoring federal law and marrying gay couples in 2008, who's AG campaign manager was Harvey Milk's campaign manager...it's going to take a lot for me to believe that person is "trying too hard." Because, to me, "trying too hard" is implying disingenuous intent.

She should've called out the shitty joke on stage. That would've been the smart thing to do, not just go awkwardly say "alright". But she didn't and that says something to me.

To me, the "....alright" was calling it out.

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Remember when we all thought that call memo from WH was going to be a whole lot of nothing and after getting it Pelosi announced formal impeachment?

These guys don't think like normal people and any normal people in their wings quits or is booted out.

BWoog

Oct 27, 2017
Damn. That's bleak AF

You know what I've learned about boomers from all this? They CANNOT admit fault. I had to sever from my folks because of just how bad they got and introspection is impossible to them.

How the hell do you argue with "Brett Kavanaugh couldn't have raped these women because he has a family!"? That's a lot literal talking point my parents have.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Kamala's "alright...." would probably have been a funny way to brush off an awkward moment if she wasn't the one who made it super awkward first lol

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017
Either they determined he doesn't have damning info or they got their stories straight. It's tainted, IMO

Probably just repeat the "no quid pro quo" line and lie about the rest.

But hey, here's more info on yet another massive crime:

Mr. Giuliani's moves also ran counter to a long-running American effort to curb Iran's nuclear program as the United States was trying to punish players, like Mr. Zarrab, who helped the regime evade sanctions.

The case, called the single largest evasion of Iranian sanctions in United States history, revolved around a scheme by the Turkish bank in 2012 and 2013 to send billions of dollars in gold and cash to Iran in exchange for oil and natural gas.

ratcliffja

Oct 28, 2017
Harris did nothing wrong there. She's not the one who should be calling him out for that joke. She clearly expressed her displeasure without going out of her lane.

Madison

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Lima, Peru
I was slightly impressed by Harris"s attempt to clarify pronouns

only to be quickly dissapointed at her reaction to the stupid joke

It was ultimately a positive effort that she wasnt able to handle properly, she could have handled it a lot better. Points for effort, at least.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Of course, everyone is entitled to how they feel.

But for me, it's going to take a lot (a LOT), to believe that the woman who was a part of the fight and multiple significant victories for LGBTQ+ people, who was ignoring federal law and marrying gay couples in 2008, who's AG campaign manager was Harvey Milk's campaign manager...it's going to take a lot for me to believe that person is "trying too hard." Because, to me, "trying too hard" is implying disingenuous intent.

To me, the "....alright" was calling it out.
I just mean trying too hard to have a "moment." Warren's moment worked because it was organic. It just happened. Harris' didn't land for me because it was clearly planned and rehearsed to hell. Sometimes rehearsed moments CAN land. Her attack on Biden did. Hillary's "I prepared to be President" thing landed. This one didn't. And I think her campaign has become too reliant on trying to go from a moment to a moment with lulls in between. I don't think that served her well.

IggyChooChoo

Oct 25, 2017
Probably just repeat the "no quid pro quo" line and lie about the rest.

But hey, here's more info on yet another massive crime:

tumblr_ly21gmeAkx1r1g1w1o1_500.gif

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
I just mean trying too hard to have a "moment." Warren's moment worked because it was organic. It just happened. Harris' didn't land for me because it was clearly planned and rehearsed to hell. Sometimes rehearsed moments CAN land. Her attack on Biden did. Hillary's "I prepared to be President" thing landed. This one didn't. And I think her campaign has become too reliant on trying to go from a moment to a moment with lulls in between. I don't think that served her well.
Warren's moment was almost certainly a planned answer for an obvious question. She just delivered it better, making it seem more natural.

FreezePeach

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I at least take solace that Schiff seems to be on top on literally everything because he was on Maddow saying so and Maddow gave her epic rundown at the start that he saw.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
You know what I've learned about boomers from all this? They CANNOT admit fault. I had to sever from my folks because of just how bad they got and introspection is impossible to them.

How the hell do you argue with "Brett Kavanaugh couldn't have raped these women because he has a family!"? That's a lot literal talking point my parents have.
My parents are boomers too. They're not like that though. But in a general sense, boomers are so much different than millennials. Fundamentally different life experiences.

Deleted member 176

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trump didn't mention the fox News poll at all tonight. apparently they had Eric go out at the start and say "yall like fox News?" and people gave some cheers.

I wonder if Trump uses Eric to test if his material is gonna land or not

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
It's hard to do the kind of thing Harris tried to do. It inherently feels like pandering unless you're doing it even in other contexts. Because it clearly is pandering to only come out with that in the safest possible place. But people like to be pandered to and it's a gesture of respect, so whatever.

And likewise I think it's asking a lot to expect a candidate to react in just the way you'd want in real time to something as weird and offensive as Cuomo's response. They have to parse this really surprising thing -- "Did he just do what I think he did?" -- and then be the right amount of outraged without crossing a line, and if they overstep at any stage it's disastrous.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
This is actually something I've mentioned before, but it's something that I've given a lot of thought about. I went in kinda a blank slate on Kamala. Everything on paper? I loved. But as I watched her debate stuff, she kept getting further and further down the list for me. And it bothered me! Because a lot of the things that I felt about her were shit people have thrown at Hillary for her entire career that I simply never saw. (Too careful seems "fake." "too rehearsed, unclear on where she stands, etc." I've never seen that with my perception of Hillary or Warren. So, the fact that there may be some bias on my part really upset me. I think we all have biases, and they manifest in different ways. So, I have spent a lot of time thinking about what it is about Harris that doesn't click for me. (And it's not just Harris. I've made it clear Bernie doesn't click with me. I literally have NO idea what anyone sees in Beto. And Castro is so far under my radar I can't even.) I spent a lot of time wondering if it was the intersection of race/gender that sort of exposed some latent bias in how I viewed what she was putting out there. And I don't really have a good answer to that question. Like I said, she's still my 2nd choice. I think she'd be an effective President. I just am totally unsure what it is, specifically, that I don't respond to. Which is fine! I don't have to get all warm and tingly to support/like someone for an office.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
This is the most charitable interpretation, and if it's true then the response is still so weak as to be irrelevant in the face of blatant transphobia. I'm sure she'll release a stronger statement of condemnation very soon.

To be honest, I don't understand this. There are people who don't identify as trans who subscribe to and promote open pronoun identification.

Cuomo's "joke" was crude and not at all funny. But I think it's a reach to claim Harris was weak to blatant transphobia because she didn't do...what exactly did people really want her to do in the .02 seconds in which this moment happened?

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It's hard to do the kind of thing Harris tried to do. It inherently feels like pandering unless you're doing it even in other contexts. Because it clearly is pandering to only come out with that in the safest possible place. But people like to be pandered to and it's a gesture of respect, so whatever.

And likewise I think it's asking a lot to expect a candidate to react in just the way you'd want in real time to something as weird and offensive as Cuomo's response. They have to parse this really surprising thing -- "Did he just do what I think he did?" -- and then be the right amount of outraged without crossing a line, and if they overstep at any stage it's disastrous.
It doesn't take too much to be like "that's not cool, Chris." In the moment. You can expound upon it later but in the moment, being a good ally means calling it out when you see it. Her response was just too subtle.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
Weirdly, I don't have a problem with Harris not pushing back against Cuomo. That's not her job. He a grown man and should know better.

Gotchaye

Oct 27, 2017
It doesn't take too much to be like "that's not cool, Chris." In the moment. You can expound upon it later but in the moment, being a good ally means calling it out when you see it. Her response was just too subtle.
I just think it's very hard to decide fast enough that that's what happened. I guess you can ding her for not being so immersed in this stuff that she didn't automatically tag it as really offensive, but I feel like lots of people who are genuine allies, in a context where calling someone out when it's not warranted would be disastrous, would take a few seconds to decide that they're sure enough about what just happened to clearly call it out.

TheAbsolution

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
I just think it's very hard to decide fast enough that that's what happened. I guess you can ding her for not being so immersed in this stuff that she didn't automatically tag it as really offensive, but I feel like lots of people who are genuine allies would, in a context where calling someone out when it's not warranted would be disastrous, would take a few seconds to decide that they're sure enough about what just happened to clearly call it out.
To clarify, I'm not dinging or condemning her for anything here, just a small critique from me is all. She handled the rest of the townhall pretty well IMO.

Royalan

Oct 24, 2017
I just...I think it's really odd that, when it comes to Kamala Harris, people are always expecting her to police other people's speech in the most succinct-yet-nuanced way at a moment's notice, without any thought to the very real concern Kamala has to have as a black woman doing that.

Midnight Jon

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
amab nb here, don't have much of an issue with kamala's response just being "...alright" (mainly because it seems like cuomo's "joke" seems to have caught her as off guard as it caught me)

Distantmantra

Oct 26, 2017
Seattle
My wife is flying home from Boston with a connection at MSP. They've stopped loading the bags onto the plane and are now delayed due to a VIP ground halt. Fuck that guy.

adam387

Nov 27, 2017
I definitely don't have an issue with her not pushing back there. Like I said, that's not her job. Cuomo is a grown man and is responsible for whatever "jokes" he makes.

Tfritz

Oct 25, 2017
so what are the lgbtq forum highlights, i don't have cable because it's 2019 but so far i hear that:
  • joe biden tried to kills anderson cooper?
  • elizabeth warren did a joke
  • kamala harris was involved in some ill-advised exchange about pronouns
  • a trans activist interrupted and was like "so y'all really aren't gonna have any black trans women ask questions at this event?"
how did the other also rans fare?

Dahbomb

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The "alright" seemed more like a "uhhh. Ok.." As in "yea we are all going to pretend you didn't just say that."

Or maybe it's the "I didn't really hear what he said."

Status
Not open for further replies.